Plot Changes a Possibility?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While I don't want Aerith to be revivable (as I said elsewhere I'd be cool with a challenge battle mode you access from the menu a la FFXII TZA where Aerith can be used), I would be totally cool with Nomura and friends being coy about whether you can. Sparking a return to those old days on the internet with wild rumors about how to get her back :monster:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
He got genetically crossed with Vincent yet somehow got inexplicably wrecked by a giant 3-headed dog named Cerberus.

Sometimes life comes at you fast!

Oh well, at least Aerith got a happy ending.

Zack? Eh.. Dunno about that one.... :mon:

XxREUNIONxX

Rookie Adventurer
Just a thought here
What if you could revive an optional "copy" of Aerith. For example, perhaps Reeve would be able to create an android like version of her, similar to Cait Sith, using extracted data from Shinra. If something like this were to be added, you could still use her in battle with all her skills available.

Admittedly, this could be a horrible idea especially if implemented improperly. I also feel, as many other's do, the absence of Aerith in your party post death adds to the significance and impact of her loss. If something like this were to be done, I wouldn't want her "clone" to be immediately available. It could, however, add some additional drama to the plot.

Imagine, for example, Cloud and co looking into the soulless doll-like face of Aerith's clone only to realize she is really and truly gone. She is "Aerith" in appearance only, serving to further thier sense of loss. If this were to occur, I'd prefer it to be optional content not relevent to the main plot.

Alternatively, perhaps there could be an additional optional character introduced post-death that could fill the role of Aerith in battle. One of the more disappointing things about the og was that Aerith was the closest thing to having a mage role in battle. Sure, party members in the og were relatively interchangeable. However, in the remake (with the new battle system) party members and thier fighting style seem to take on more importance. It would be nice to have another mage type party member available.

In closing, thanks for reading through this wall of text. Mostly just random musings. Any changes such as these would need to be carefully implemented in order to preserve the spirit of the original. Hope to have sparked some thoughts and ideas!

I suppose I understand why some people feel they really want to be able to revive Aerith, and I acknowledge that the way every other character has cheated death makes hers seem less meaningful... But unless I'm much mistaken, the whole point of her death is to make us feel how irrevocable death is, how people leave unfinished business behind; how, no matter how grief-stricken we are, life has to go on; how the memories of the dead and the actions they carried out why they were alive going on having an impact on the living.... It seems to me that being able to ressurect her in any way would just take a big dump on all of that. But maybe that's a theme of the OG, not this new game called FFVII Remake.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

...Yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

I LOVE IT.

I want a Robot Aerith in this muthafuckin' remake right. Fucking. Now.

Have Aerith look into some googly-eyed binocular device in the Science Division of the Shinra Building.

Boom.

Unbeknownst to her, the device made a snapshot of her entire neurological profile and uploads it to the World Wide Network.

We goin' The Sixth Day up in here. Except instead of the Terminator, we usin' the Flower-nator.

Aerith dies but then at Icicle Inn, a new Aerith appears. And she has all of the old Aerith's memories.

Except for one difference.

She's been programmed to KILL AVALANCHE. And she's going to make her koibito a bloody taquito. Deep fried with Deepground technology. Straight from the Tsviets, wanting revenge on the heroes!

Cloud will have to face off against the one person he could never have imagined.

And when the Aerith-bot prepares to bring down its double-bladed lightsaber down on the broken ex-SOLDIER's chocobo head, it's blocked by a powerful barrier belonging to...

Aerith's long lost Cetra sister, Zephyra.

Zephyra, Aerith's older sister, separated at birth. Who upon feeling Aerith's soul return to the Lifestream, tried to figure out just what the hell is goin' on, only to discover the metallic monster in the guise of her sister, trying to kill her friends.

An epic showdown commences and just when they are about to deliver the killing blow to Aerith-bot, she breaks free of her programming! She begs for mercy and says she's real and wants to be with Cloud. But Zephyra has fallen for Cloud and doesn't want to let him go to be with a fake robot doppelganger of her bitchy little sister!

So Cloud has to choose.

Which one will he love?

And which one will he kill?

Because the one left behind will then join forces with Sephiroth to enact a plan of revenge for being spurned so heartlessly.

The tragedy. The emotion. The pain. The love. It's all here. A Neo-Reunion, you could say.

Will Cloud choose the restored robot clone of Aerith made to kill him through Deepground Soldier technology, or will he join with the true last member of the Ancients??

Yes. We need this in the Remake of FFVII. This is better than Gremlins 2, one of the best movies of the 20th century. FFVII was a masterpiece.

Now, let's make it better.

Goddamnit I'm so hyped for this!!!

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
On a serious note, the idea of an android Aeris is...disturbing, haha. I know that would partly be the point, but I don't think Cloud and co would even want to try going down that road. Trying to replace a real person with an android is grotesque stuff that I don't think they would entertain. Interesting post though, Reunion! Certainly not something I've heard before.

Licorice, you're absolutely correct. That moment in the story is a big part of what makes FFVII so special. Maybe it's just cynicism, but I just wonder if they would go ahead and change it anyway, in order to really shake things up for fans.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Very negative, probably.

Would not mind them faking out on the how and when though, juuuuust to build anxiety.

I’ve dabbled with this idea too. I’d be cool if Part 2 ended at the Forgotten City but Cloud is able to save Aerith. However, she dies at the beginning of Part 3 when the party encounters Sephiroth at the Northern Crater. Aerith’s death is supposed to be shocking, that’s why the OG placed Cait Sith’s heroic death right before her’s. Doing that built a false conception in the player’s mind on how VII’s narrative handles death (characters die in sacrifice and not by chance/get to share finals words with the player). We’d spend years being confused by SE’s plot change between Parts 2 and 3 but would actually be playing right into their hands.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
At this point I still really don't expect major plot changes. Just a lot of left turns between the major plot points, and some things that might be a little differently handled.

Tifa's little monologue is very telling. It's essentially the same concept as the original, just deeper and more nuanced.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
At this point, I don't know what they could do to legit surprise us. We've considered every fake-out they might try.

When Sephiroth is trying to burn the village, Zangan gives him a pasting with Beat Rush and the game ends there?

But to be serious, I think Cold's idea could work quite well.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer

...Yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

I LOVE IT.

Have Aerith look into some googly-eyed binocular device in the Science Division of the Shinra Building.

Boom.

Unbeknownst to her, the device made a snapshot of her entire neurological profile and uploads it to the World Wide Network.

We goin' The Sixth Day up in here. Except instead of the Terminator, we usin' the Flower-nator.

Aerith dies but then at Icicle Inn, a new Aerith appears. And she has all of the old Aerith's memories.

She's been programmed to KILL AVALANCHE. And she's going to make her koibito a bloody taquito. Deep fried with Deepground technology. Straight from the Tsviets, wanting revenge on the heroes!

Cloud will have to face off against the one person he could never have imagined.

And when the Aerith-bot prepares to bring down its double-bladed lightsaber down on the broken ex-SOLDIER's chocobo head, it's blocked by a powerful barrier belonging to...

Zephyra, Aerith's older sister, separated at birth. Who upon feeling Aerith's soul return to the Lifestream, tried to figure out just what the hell is goin' on, only to discover the metallic monster in the guise of her sister, trying to kill her friends.

An epic showdown commences and just when they are about to deliver the killing blow to Aerith-bot, she breaks free of her programming! She begs for mercy and says she's real and wants to be with Cloud. But Zephyra has fallen for Cloud and doesn't want to let him go to be with a fake robot doppelganger of her bitchy little sister!

So Cloud has to choose.

Which one will he love?

Because the one left behind will then join forces with Sephiroth to enact a plan of revenge for being spurned so heartlessly.

The tragedy. The emotion. The pain. The love. It's all here. A Neo-Reunion, you could say.

Will Cloud choose the restored robot clone of Aerith made to kill him through Deepground Soldier technology, or will he join with the true last member of the Ancients??

Yes. We need this in the Remake of FFVII. This is better than Gremlins 2, one of the best movies of the 20th century. FFVII was a masterpiece.

Hoo boy.

Reading that was a trip.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer

...Yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

I LOVE IT.

Boom.

So Cloud has to choose.

Which one will he love?

Man, I laughed and shuddered at the same time.
Sounds like you've been around the darkest recesses of fanfic.net a little too much.:huh:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
At this point, I don't know what they could do to legit surprise us. We've considered every fake-out they might try.

I could see them trying to toe the line between sticking to the big plot points (e.g. Aeris' death), but with subtle adjustments that might be shocking/unexpected to veteran players. For example, if Cloud is seeing hallucinations of Sephiroth, maybe that same thing could be triggered in the City of the Ancients. Cloud is coming up to the infamous platform where Aeris was praying in the OG, but Sephiroth is there instead. Cloud flies into a rage, and manages to slam his sword into Sephiroth before he can react. Then the haze clears, and Aeris is staring up at Cloud as the light leaves her eyes. Cue waterworks all over again. But the overarching plot is relatively unchanged. Everyone wins?

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
So one change to the plot that seems inevitable will be the explosion of the No. 1 reactor. As in, the implied nature of its effect in the original game is going to have to be more explicit here, which does seem to be what they are going for, per the trailer. But what I mean is, given how utterly HUGE Midgar type reactors are, given their importance to the overall structure to the plate, and given just how heavily built up the city is in proxmity to the reactor....just how will they actually do this explosion?

If they do it like the original where it blows the top off the reactor and creates a shockwave, I can't help but expect that at least a quarter of both Sector 1 and Sector 8 will be destroyed, perhaps even approaching the deathtoll of the collapse of Sector 7 (which would explain why Shinra Propaganda is plausible on that incident).

If they do the explosion differently, then how do they still have it be an attrocity Cait Sith calls Barret out on.....

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
So one change to the plot that seems inevitable will be the explosion of the No. 1 reactor. As in, the implied nature of its effect in the original game is going to have to be more explicit here, which does seem to be what they are going for, per the trailer. But what I mean is, given how utterly HUGE Midgar type reactors are, given their importance to the overall structure to the plate, and given just how heavily built up the city is in proxmity to the reactor....just how will they actually do this explosion?

If they do it like the original where it blows the top off the reactor and creates a shockwave, I can't help but expect that at least a quarter of both Sector 1 and Sector 8 will be destroyed, perhaps even approaching the deathtoll of the collapse of Sector 7 (which would explain why Shinra Propaganda is plausible on that incident).

If they do the explosion differently, then how do they still have it be an attrocity Cait Sith calls Barret out on.....
It goes to show that the city planning of Midgar really is a disaster. IRL you would not plan to have power plants or chemical plants in the vicinity of housing complexes, for safety purposes. And when it becomes unplanned, well...
And Cait Sith of all people is the one calling Barret out!? Who the hell did the city planning, uh!?
Geez...

LoonySpectre

Pro Adventurer
Just a thought here
What if you could revive an optional "copy" of Aerith. For example, perhaps Reeve would be able to create an android like version of her, similar to Cait Sith, using extracted data from Shinra. If something like this were to be added, you could still use her in battle with all her skills available.
"Aerith copy", similar to Genesis/Angeal copies in Crisis Core? Now that would be creepy.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I agree that the explosion will be something given the size of the reactor, I dunno about it wiping out a quarter of two sectors though, given that Aerith seems to be reasonably close and in the trailer the street she's on is actually less damaged than it is in the original game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It goes to show that the city planning of Midgar really is a disaster....
And Cait Sith of all people is the one calling Barret out!? Who the hell did the city planning, uh!?
Geez...

The same people who thought it was a brilliant idea to inject people with cells from an unknown alien organism while exposing them to mako, who thought burning down towns and replacing deceased inhabitants with paid actors is a good idea, and who really thought it was wise to summarily execute members of their own private security force because they simply didn't want to be made into brain-dead vegetables or monsters.

So yeah. Those people. It makes perfect sense. :mon:

Top Bottom