Pokemon Online

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
So it's pretty much everything somebody could ever want right?

http://pokemmo.eu/

This is essentially Fire Red but online. Meaning you will pick your starter, play through the story, your rival etc. but the whole while other people are also wandering around catching pokemon and having their adventure aswell.

There's a full trade and battle system with other players and the chat is as simple to work as any other MMO on the market.

Essentially this is your standard gameboy/ds experience but on a computer with tons of other players. I'm having a real blast with it right now and I'd encourage more people to jump on this. :headbang:

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Of all the franchises that get forced MMO's, Pokemon always struck me as the franchise most tailored to it. It's perfect! Especially with all the regions and creatures they have now.

AvecAloes

Donator
This sounds like a lot of fun, actually! I haven't played any of the Pokemon games, but from what I understand and from what I've seen others play this sounds like a great application of the game's form. I'd like to try this out! I registered, but I'm not exactly the most dl savvy person ever, so I'm not really sure what the instructions mean by ROM and extracting and all that... :P

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Yeah the game requires a Fire Red ROM in order to play. I got mine from This website.

When you have the .gba file just put it in the folder titled 'roms' in the Pokemmo folder and you're done.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So can you battle and trade with anyone anywhere? Or do both of you have to go meet up at a Pokemon Center to do it?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
You can battle and trade anybody as long as you can see them on your screen, meaning you have to be close enough to them.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Something else of note: If you also put a SoulSilver/HeartGold ROM in the same folder you get the better graphics of that game and the option to have walking pokemon following you. Here's the ROM I used for that aswell, well worth it.

You'll also be able to see any of the other players who have done the same thing and whichever pokemon they have following them.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'd like to see a few people here playing it. I know we have a lot of fans of the nintendo games here.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
2 Things: So much nostalgia of the good kind. This brings back so many memories.

Nintendo gets some serious credit for making a large and diverse enough RPG that was just ready to go MMO as soon as someone found a way to make it work over the net. I mean, they were already halfway there with making it possible to trade between GBAs...

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Yeah it just lends so much to Nintendo that somebody was able to pick this up and just make it massively multiplayer without any trouble.

What's your name in the game OF. I'll add you when I jump on.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
This sounds great except... Fire Red? As in, remake of Gen I, no Dark-types anywhere, all Dark-type moves are Special Attack instead of being determined by the move itself, etc? Cause I loved Fire Red back in the day, but I can't go back to that now :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
FireRed's like the most recent one I play :monster: (Though I would like to try HeartGold if I ever get my hands on a DS)

And this is pretty cool, it's a little rough around the edges though, isn't it?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
There are Gen II pokemon in the game, most of the second Gen iirc. They are constantly updating it GLD so in another few updates I wouldn't be surprised if they're using SS/HG full on.

Force I'd recommend playing HeartGold/SoulSilver. In my opinion they are currently the best Pokemon games out. Hopefully X and Y will surpass them too.
I can see what you mean by rough but that's probably the effect had by stretching a gameboy game into an MMO. Everything works perfectly though.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Lol, I stopped updating my general Pokemon knowledge around Gen II.

And as far as free MMORPGs go, I'm willing to put up with a little "rough around the edges"-ness when everything works the way it's supposed to and updates come frequently. Okay, and who hasn't wanted to play Pokemon with a bunch of real people as opposed to NPCs?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I think the thing that gets me is that in pokemon games you got a phone and could 'call' the npc trainers and nothing useful would ever really happen. And some would call you and challenge you again.

In this you have actual players you can contact whenever and see how their pokemon are getting along or challenge them to battles yourself.

Pokemon has been calling out for this adaptation for a while. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Force I'd recommend playing HeartGold/SoulSilver. In my opinion they are currently the best Pokemon games out.

I believe it, with nostalgia goggles, I like Red and Blue the best. But,objectively speaking, G/S re the best. Have any other Pokemon games let you go back to other regions and face all of THEIR gyms?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I think the thing that gets me is that in pokemon games you got a phone and could 'call' the npc trainers and nothing useful would ever really happen. And some would call you and challenge you again.
Um, can we say, MMORPG before anyone knew what the heck it was or how to implement one? Looking back it's obvious what type of game Nintendo was going for, only it was way before the technology was available.

What's also part of the genius of Pokemon as an MMORPG as opposed to others is that it is a true "make you own class" system. It doesn't force people to pick how they're going to play it. Instead, it gives everyone equal opportunity to get all the building blocks of the system and figure out what works best for them.

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
I'm starting this right now! I've never played an MMO before and it took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to create my character.

My username is ViviOrunitia if anyone wants to add me. Edit: This might not be my username? I registered under it, but when I tried to make a character, it said this name was already taken. Also when I started playing, I was wondering why my character wasn't moving and it turns out I was just spamming the chatbox with random letters.

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
What's your character's name. There's a TLS team that's been formed so you can be added to it.

Top Bottom