Possibility of getting the rest Ultimania's translated for real?

Next Ultimania project:

• Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
So are we ever going to take serious steps towards getting this done or is everyone just going to continue saying its a good idea? Getting some money raised together is always a good start.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Do we even have the whole FF7 Ultimania translated? I know we have bits and pieces, and there's that FAQ by Ryu Kaze on ign, but that's not ours and it's mostly just a summary.

I think the FF7 Ultimania Omega should be a priority for this website before the ultimaniae of other games, IMO.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Wha? More than half of the translated content we have is for FF7. I'm sure we have the whole thing done if not damn close, down to the page numbers.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
The character profiles seem to be from the FInal Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary Ultimania, not the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega. They're two separate books, unless I'm horribly mistaken. We don't even have a category for "Ultimania Omega" in our "Exclusive Translations" nav list— just the FF7 10th Anniversary Ultimania and the Crisis Core Ultimania. In fact, the only thing that does seem to be from the UO is listed here:

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7

I believe this is a ~500 page book in question. That's an awfully small list.

Furthermore, this FAQ indicates that there is much more in the book that we don't have translated. And don't even get me started on this (skip down to post #5 and those that follow it).

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
There is a lot from the UO that hasn't been done, like the story playback which includes little notes talking about what's going on in the scenes. Some are obvious, or just talking about changes in dialogue for different characters, etc., but others might be more interesting. But those are tiny little passages, so picking the good ones and getting through them doesn't seem like too much hassle.

The profiles and timelines would be worth doing, since they can have some interesting stuff (although as in one of the threads Ravy posted, not all applicable now with the Compilation).

Do we have (or can we come to) a consensus as to which one we'd be going for?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I make no promises. Only informal arrangements I might possibly fulfil :awesome:

Also I've been decorating this week and cba'd doing extra work :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I definitely don't object to finishing the FF7 stuff first. However I would like this idea to be considered in general, however.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Something else we could translate are the game novelizations. I hear II, III and IV all have novels based on the game.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
LOL and where do you intend for us to get these novelizations and other Ultimanias? :awesome:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
LOL and where do you intend for us to get these novelizations and other Ultimanias?

whoops

I forgot you have to actually, physically own them. Hmm...is there a way to work that out? Work with other communities, perhaps?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Something else we could translate are the game novelizations. I hear II, III and IV all have novels based on the game.
I don't know if III does (it had a manga, according to Wikipedia), but II and IV definitely do (IV has several). Although II's is 10 years old and out of stock on Amazon. But IV's are recent and shouldn't be hard to get.

Although I recommend one copy to sacrifice to a scanner, because I can say from personal experience that translating from a physical book is a pain in the arse :monster:

Although I've never played II, and am stuck on IV, so those might have to be someone else :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The only reason we've got whats been translated done, is due to either hito or myself using our own collections and/or putting up the moola to get them. :monster:

Japanese books don't come cheap, and trying to get a bunch of Ultimanias for games isn't easy.

Smaddy

Green Mage
Definitely would love to see more of the FF7 stuff translated. Personally, I'd love to see more from FF6 translated, if it were possible.

Seeing this makes me wish I'd gone and bought more FF merch back in the 90s. It wasn't widely available even back then and still expensive. I still can remember drooling over the last few pages of the FF strategy guides and the various gaming magazines which carried ads for import places. :lol:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Because it was brought up in another topic:

★CHAPTER 1:WORLD&CHARACTER
Character Guide
Area Guide
Keyword Guide 

★CHAPTER 2:BATTLE
Battley System
Elemental affinity
Status
Special Attacks

★CHAPTER 3:JUNCTION
Junction System
Guardian Force
Magic
Ability

★CHAPTER 4:ITEM
Basic knowledge on items
Complete item list
Item Refinement
Gil
Weapons 

★CHAPTER 5:CARD
The Complete of Cards
Basic knowledge on the card game
Complete card catalogue (sorted by level)
Card player data file
Guide to gathering a full deck

★CHAPTER 6:MONSTER
The basics on monsters
Monster Encyclopaedia

★CHAPTER 7:SCENARIO
  First Guidance
  DISC 1
  DISC 2
  DISC 3
  DISC 4

★CHAPTER 8:CHOCOBO
Road to the "Chocobo Holy Land"
"Odekake Chocobo RPG" complete manual 

★CHAPTER 9:SECRET 111
System category
Even category
Battle category
Variety category

★CHAPTER 10:MAP
Travelling around the world of FFVIII
Complete map guide (sorted by area)

★INDEX

★「Eyes On Me」 musical score

★EPILOGUE

★MAP INDEX
  WORLD POINT MAP
  WORLD AREA MAP
  Squall MAP
  Rinoa MAP
  Quistis MAP
  Zell MAP
  Selphie MAP
  Irvine MAP
  Laguna MAP
  Seifer MAP
  Edea MAP
  G.F.MAP
  Draw Point MAP
  Shop MAP
  Ultimate weapons item MAP
  Rare card MAP
  Monster Draw MAP
  Chocobo MAP
  Garden movement MAP

★INTERVIEW INDEX
  (1)Graphics Team
  (2)Battle Team
  (3)Sound Team
  (4)Movie Team
  (5)Event Team
  (6)Yoshinori Kitase (director) + Ken Narita (main programmer)

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
See...chapter 1, 6, 7, and especially 11 sound the most interesting. :monster:

Those chapters would have the "good stuff."

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
'Scenario' can just refer to the walk-through section, and I think the first chapter might just be basic introductions that aren't that enlightening :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I had a look at two (Vagrant Story and FFXII: Revenant Wings) and compared the opening sections. VS's has information on the background of the world, different locations and different groups and people involved (maybe not all new). The character introductions seem pretty basic, but have comments from the Akihiko Yoshida on designing the characters.

RW's is more focused on just information about the game with a bit of story stuff (most background stuff is later on in a section all about that).

FFVIII's was the first Ultimania and they might have been working out a format and structure as the books went on, but it might have at least some interesting bits and pieces in there. I should probably get around to finishing FFVIII first, though :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
From looking at the FFVIII Ultimania contents:

Character sections - Basic profile, looks at quotes from the character or about them, and major characters have a little comment from Kazushige Nojima.
Area - history of each place, and a bit on characters there.
Keyword - definitions of the different terms used in the game.

Scenario - is just the strategy guide bit.
Monster - same, but about monsters.

Epilogue - 3 page piece written by Nojima, taking the form of a lesson at the Garden on witches.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I don't know how detailed a history they are (or if it even if a proper history), as I didn't read it until I finish/play it :monster:

Top Bottom