Recommend a read

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
also, no way in hell has it been 4-5 years. maybe 3 1/2.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I'd recommend Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses trilogy, its an amazing read or I'd recommend The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan its pretty cool too for people into sci-fi and fantasy.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
ASoIaF isn't as consistently graphic as Berserk, but there are portions where the squeamish will have trouble. Also, I probably was the one who recommended it. :monster:

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
Hey what the hell, we've talked about sci-fi books, adventure books, and supernatural novels. Hell, I read all kinds of comics too. WTF WOMAN.

WTF MAN. I wouldn't have spoken "supernatural" novel, I don't even like that stuff, and sleep with the lights on when I hear about it, and probably just plugged my eyes when you were talking about it. And what adventure books?

You're such a lightweight.

I'm just less jaded than most. >.>;;;

also, no way in hell has it been 4-5 years. maybe 3 1/2.

Actually, I think it was more like 2 1/2. :monster:

ASoIaF isn't as consistently graphic as Berserk, but there are portions where the squeamish will have trouble. Also, I probably was the one who recommended it. :monster:

It was probably you. You recc'ed the Discworld series too (which is still sitting in my wishlist on Amazon), and that I can remember. And yeah, I'm the kind of person that serioulsy cries while reading something like that, so I'd rather stay away. xD

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Did, did she just use the monster?

Like, holy shit.

And I don't remember which books woman, there's a lot of them. But you should check out a couple of those ghost books, not all of them are scary. I remember one by Orson Scott Card that was pretty damn good, and pretty much not scary at all.

I don't like gore, I don't like seeing it, but I can stomach it, and I won't shrink back from a good story because of it.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
For those who enjoy detective-y type stuff: I highly recommend any of the Arsene Lupin books by Maurice Leblanc. Fantastic stuff - a French character created in response to the immense popularity of Sherlock Holmes, Lupin is his exact opposite: a gentleman thief who puts his skills to great use. A bit later on, though, he does do detective-y stuff as well.

It's absolutely amazing. The books can be a bit hard to find, though. So far, I myself only have two, one a general collection of selected stories, and another that is one of the original collections ("The Confessions of Arsene Lupin"). The general collection has about 15 stories from assorted books, and, along with City of God (Paulo Lins, not the other guy) and Dante's Commedia, is one of my absolute favorite books.

I'd kill for "Eight Strokes of the Clock", "813", or "The Hollow Needle" D:

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
Did, did she just use the monster?

Like, holy shit.

Oh, shit...I slipped, for the first time in my life. Quit trying to suck me into your world, you sapiens!

And I don't remember which books woman, there's a lot of them. But you should check out a couple of those ghost books, not all of them are scary. I remember one by Orson Scott Card that was pretty damn good, and pretty much not scary at all.

Oh, man Ender's Game came out the year I was born. I can remember being a mid-teen and reading it crouched in the library with my back against a shelf. I should read the rest of that series, actually.

Omega: Aside from the lupin books, the other stuff you recc'ed sounds so depressing for some reason. : /

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Oh, shit...I slipped, for the first time in my life. Quit trying to suck me into your world, you sapiens!

lolwat.

Oh, man Ender's Game came out the year I was born. I can remember being a mid-teen and reading it crouched in the library with my back against a shelf. I should read the rest of that series, actually.

The first book was pretty good. The others vary. Ender's Shadow is good too.

I'm going to call you hat from now on btw.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Speaker for the Dead is awesome, the rest of the Ender sequels are pretty much crap as far as I'm concerned (Ender's Shadow was passable). But people's mileage with the series seems to vary a lot.

Speaker for the Dead is awesome, the rest of the Ender sequels are pretty much crap as far as I'm concerned (Ender's Shadow was passable). But people's mileage with the series seems to vary a lot.

Yeah, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are definitely the best. Personally, I liked Xenocide and Children of the Mind too, but they do get tedious sometimes. Card seems to just keep piling on spin-offs, though, and other than Ender's Shadow, the rest of the Shadow series doesn't appeal to me.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Card pulled his insane religious views too much into Xenocide and Children of the Mind for my liking. Granted, they're kind of there in Speaker for the Dead as well, but at least they're shoved off to the side there.

mentaz

bubbles
I recommend The Mists of Avalon and the rest of the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. If someone is into the supernatural and that kind of stuff this book will not let you down.

invisiblestories

Pro Adventurer
AKA
luxembourg, alice
The Alchemist (Paulo Coello)
Veronika Decides to Die (Paulo Coello)
Brida (Paulo Coello)
Timbuktu (Paul Auster)
Relato de un náufrago (Gabriel García Márquez)
Memories of My Melancholy Whores (Gabriel García Márquez)
A Spiritual Treasury (Gibran Kahlil Gibran)
Book of Laughter and Forgetting (Milan Kundera)
A Very Long Engagement (Sebastien Japrisot)
Highway to Hell (Konsalik)

I've been reading a lot of stuff lately. But I'd recommend these for the meantime.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Not really.

Wow. How can anybody not agree with this well-thought out and structured opinion. Tell me scholar, what level of University are you studying? Is this hypothesis going to be the subject of your final dissertation? Or have you already got your doctrate?

Please tell me :( I'm a first year student in the Being a Fucking Retard Who Can't Justify My Opinions To Save My Life course and desperately need some assistance. Help a brother out pls?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let's not be insulting or flame, regardless of how ridiculous or inane someone's opinion might be. :monster:

I do find it funny that the same guy who said FFVII's story was on the level of true literature goes on to say comic books are not real books. Fucking hilarious.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Wow. How can anybody not agree with this well-thought out and structured opinion. Tell me scholar, what level of University are you studying? Is this hypothesis going to be the subject of your final dissertation? Or have you already got your doctrate?

Please tell me :( I'm a first year student in the Being a Fucking Retard Who Can't Justify My Opinions To Save My Life course and desperately need some assistance. Help a brother out pls?

C'mon, bro, that ain't necessary. I know you're smarter than this. I'd much rather see you guys tearing each others arguments apart than tearing at each others necks.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
There wasn't even an argument to tear apart though! :sadface:

Top Bottom