Recommend a read

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
Re: Reccommend a read

Speaking of Gaiman, has anyone read The Graveyard Book yet? I know it's a children's book, but so was Coraline, and I thought that was pretty great...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=435.msg14114#msg14114 date=1233654221]No, it actually isn't. The story Gaiman said he based it on doesn't exist. Gaiman then claimed he made the story up on his own. Who knows what really inspired him.

And anyone who's a fan of Gaiman has more than likely already read that. Even given the artwork, which I can't stand, it's still a great book.
[/quote]

Oh this I did not know. I just got the impression that it was a real myth from his super-long letter at the back of the book. :/ Or was it in the front? But I digress...

As for the Graveyard Book, I have a friend who has been telling me I should read it. That and Mirror Mask. I haven't read them yet though. :/

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

You should read all of his Sandman books.

I can't wait for his upcoming Batman issues.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

Mirrormask was a great movie. (If a bit trippy. Creepiest cats ever!) I'm not sure how the novel adaptations are.

Sandman's great.

Have you read Death: The High Cost of Living or Endless Nights, Dacon?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

[quote author=Countess Ariadne link=topic=435.msg14239#msg14239 date=1233702741]
Mirrormask was a great movie. (If a bit trippy. Creepiest cats ever!) I'm not sure how the novel adaptations are.

[/quote]

Why do birds, suddenly appear... :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V

[quote author=haichinamie link=topic=435.msg13808#msg13808 date=1233605848]
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=435.msg13779#msg13779 date=1233605153]
[quote author=haichinamie link=topic=435.msg13604#msg13604 date=1233597189]
TRY TWILIGHT! IT'S SO GREAT AND I CAN RELATE SO MUCH WOW
[/quote]

The all caps suggests to me that you are being sarcastic, yes?

Twilight was pretty decent...

...up until Edward and Bella finally got together. :-X

Seriously I liked the beginning because Edward was a total douche bag towards her. It was funny. But then he becomes this goody goody sniveling idiot.

And seriously, almost every single conversation him and Bella have is all,
"Oh I love you Edward never leave me!"
"I'm such a sick masochistic freak you should stay away!"
"No Edward I love you and you aren't scary!"
"But I could bite you and devour your innards!"
"I don't care Edward. Do whatever you like because I love you!"
"I wish I could stay away from you but I just can't!"
"Oh gee Edward you're so pretty and you sparkle in the sun, too!"
"I watch you while you SLEEP!"
"lol That's okay Edward I love you."

:-\
[/quote]

I hate Twilight so much. It's not well-written at all. The author has no writing style to speak of; she just abuses complicated words to try and make her writing sound smarter, when that's such a basic no-no in the world of writing.

Bella is also a dumb cunt who likes to be abused by Edward. He's too possessive. It's disgusting when you realize that so many teens want a "perfect" romance like this when it isn't perfect at all. It's so dysfunctional; the makings of an abusive relationship. If I was Bella I would have kicked that loser's ass. [/quote]ergo why I can't stand the series.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

Basically, the series is gay and must be avoided. NEXT.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Countess Ariadne link=topic=435.msg14239#msg14239 date=1233702741]

[/quote]

:monster:

Yes, and Death is being turned into a film written AND directed by Gaiman. Naturally, looking forward to it quite a bit.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

No it's awful. I love shitty books.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

Let me rephrase. By "good", does it have pyrotechnics in the distance?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

It's a mature entertaining book. Not ridiculous and stupid.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=435.msg14509#msg14509 date=1233782558]

[/quote]

Yes, and Death is being turned into a film written AND directed by Gaiman. Naturally, looking forward to it quite a bit.
[/quote]

Ooh. I wonder who will play Death...

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=435.msg14509#msg14509 date=1233782558]

[/quote]

[/quote]whoa, awesome.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Only bad thing is, Lebouff may be starring as Sexton D:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer

I always thought Laura Fraser (Door in the BBC version of "Neverwhere") would make a good Death. :)
http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Neverwhere/Neverwhere%20Pictures/Neverwhere%20Cast.jpg

For those of you who liked the Sandman, I recommend the "Lucifer" series by Mike Carey.

Just finished "Coraline" in preparation for the film (but the UK release? Not til May), so that's what I'm currently preaching.

"Lonely Werewolf Girl" by Martin Millar is good, too. One of the reasons I picked it up was the recommendation on the back from... Neil Gaiman. So, if you don't trust me...

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

She would make a great Death. :monster:

I haven't heard of the Lucifer series or Lonely Werewolf Girl before. I'll be sure to check those out sometime.

I also just read the first volume of Fables by Bill Willingham. I recommend it~

A

Great Old One

Basically a kiddie's book (because I bought it when I was twelve, and the series is still going on), but there's a series called, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians." If you guys are mythology fans, I highly recommend it. :monster:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer

SANDMAN: The Dream Hunters, by Neil Gaiman, with art from Yoshitaka Amano, who did a lot of character art on the Final Fantasy games.

Originally illustrated prose, it's recently been turned into a standard comic form, with the script adapted and art drawn by P Craig Russell, who did the artwork for the Sandman story "Ramadan" and also for the Endless Night's segment "Death and Venice".

Russell also adapted Neil's original short story, "Murder Mysteries". I'd recommend this short story, too, either in the graphic novel format or standard prose (found in "Smoke and Mirrors").

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

More Neil Gaiman love! This forum is awesome.

I read "Murder Mysteries" in Smoke and Mirrors, but I didn't know there was a graphic novel for it. I need to check this out...

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Whatever Happened to the Dark Knight is released tomorrow :monster:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA

[quote author=M.I.L.F. link=topic=435.msg17098#msg17098 date=1234376956]
^Is the book any good, does anyone know?
[/quote]At the moment, it's a two-part comic story. The collected version is due out in July, I think. As for if it's any good...

Have you ever read Marvel's 1602? The original, I mean, not the spin-offs. Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader is by the same team (story by Neil Gaiman, art by Andy Kubert).

Which, I suppose, ought to be mentioned here, too. Even if you know little about the Marvel universe, it's still a good read. If all you know is there's a group called the X-Men, Spiderman is a guy called
Peter Parker
, and there's some badass called Nick Fury hanging around, then you'll already get half the references.

[quote author=Countess Ariadne link=topic=435.msg16729#msg16729 date=1234306336]
More Neil Gaiman love! This forum is awesome.[/quote]If I was to mention every Gaiman story I'd recommend, we could be here for a while. :D

Top Bottom