Recommend a read

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Re: Reccommend a read

[quote author=M.I.L.F. link=topic=435.msg17098#msg17098 date=1234376956]
^Is the book any good, does anyone know?
[/quote]

Issue 1 was very good.

But I'm sure a lot of readers didn't get it.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi

I gave up on Gaiman after attempting American Gods. I feel so left out.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

[quote author=butterflybookmark link=topic=435.msg15854#msg15854 date=1234143475]
Basically a kiddie's book (because I bought it when I was twelve, and the series is still going on), but there's a series called, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians." If you guys are mythology fans, I highly recommend it. :monster:
[/quote]

I have a friend who has been trying to get me to read these. They sound pretty awesome for kid's books. :monster:

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=H link=topic=435.msg18165#msg18165 date=1234661604]
I gave up on Gaiman after attempting American Gods. I feel so left out.
[/quote]

You should check out some of his other works. They're different enough.

tangerine

B ● A ● N ● A ● N ● A
AKA
Val

Sh?gun by James Clavell. I'd always heard great things about this novel so I finally decided to check it out myself. It's the first novel in his Asian Saga, which I think should appeal to most of you. It's set in the year 1600 a few months before a great historical battle. The book itself is based on historical figures and counts their adventure, which, by the bye, is fiction. Loosely speaking, it has bases surrounding samurai (among other Japanese war elements).

The novel is followed by Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin, King Rat, Noble House and finally Whirlwind, all of which are quite heavy reading material in both terms of language and length. I'm moving on to the next book because I enjoyed this one significantly. :>

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer

[quote author=H link=topic=435.msg18165#msg18165 date=1234661604]
I gave up on Gaiman after attempting American Gods. I feel so left out.[/quote]I have to admit, American Gods, while good and quintessientially Gaiman, it's not the best place to start. Well, it all depends what you're looking for.

Stardust - if you've seen the recent film version of this, starring Robert De Niro, you already know a bit. If not, it's a modern fairytale (compared by some to "The Princess Bride"), in which a young man from the Victorian town of Wall crosses the wall into the realm of Faerie (which grows bigger over time - all the places and creatures that have been proved to not exist have retreated into Faerie) in search of a fallen star, which he promised to the girl he loves. The star, however, has her own plans.

Good Omens - co-authored by Terry Pratchett of Discworld fame, an angel and a demon who have been stationed on Earth since the Beginning work to prevent Armageddon at the hands of the AntiChrist. Unfortunately, for all parties involved, they're keeping an eye on the wrong kid...

Coraline - nominally a kids book, this is nonetheless excellent. Coraline's family has moved into a new flat, and Coraline finds a door, which leads to another world... complete with her Other Mother and Father.

The Graveyard Book - again, supposedly a kids book. A baby's family is killed and he finds refuge in the local graveyard. Neil's admitted this is essentially "The Jungle Book" set in a graveyard, told in his own style.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

I'm actually currently reading Pride and Prejudice. It's actually very entertaining if a bit confusing at times. People sure did have a strange way of speaking way back when. But I still like it. It probably helps that I've seen both the Hollywood (with Keira Knightly) and BBC adaptations, though. XD

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=435.msg19439#msg19439 date=1234952339]
I'm actually currently reading Pride and Prejudice. It's actually very entertaining if a bit confusing at times. People sure did have a strange way of speaking way back when. But I still like it. It probably helps that I've seen both the Hollywood (with Keira Knightly) and BBC adaptations, though. XD
[/quote]

Part of it is because of Jane Austen's writing style. I read Sense and Sensibility (good book, by the way), and found it a bit difficult at the beginning. I grew accustomed to it after a bit. Afterwards, I read Dracula and am currently reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. They are much more clear and easier to read than Austen.

But tell me how it goes. I've been meaning to read P&P for awhile, but never got around to it. I want to know if it's really that good.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is very good, if a little too short to my mind. However, this is a compliment, as there isn't anything unnecessary.

Rights of Man by Thomas Paine is very good - it's not fantasy or sci-fi or anything, it's a political discussion. If you're interested in the French Revolution, there's some historical information here. It's a good read, Paine is extremely quotable, but I will warn you it does tend to get you worked up. He's a real orator.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

@Restless: P&P is pretty good so far. I've finally gotten used to Austen's writing style. The main thing I had a problem with was the fact that there are five sisters and sometimes the book simply refers to "Miss Bennet," to which I'm like, "Which one?!" XD

But I'm getting better at figuring it out the first time instead of having to go back and read a page.

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=435.msg21884#msg21884 date=1235383523]
@Restless: P&P is pretty good so far. I've finally gotten used to Austen's writing style. The main thing I had a problem with was the fact that there are five sisters and sometimes the book simply refers to "Miss Bennet," to which I'm like, "Which one?!" XD

But I'm getting better at figuring it out the first time instead of having to go back and read a page.
[/quote]

I had some problems with that in S&S xD Or just moments when I didn't notice that a character had come along, or I'd get confused between two. I was so glad when I adjusted to the style. But, may I'll read P&P when I'm done with Jekyll and Hyde and Lord of the Rings. I'd been meaning to read the latter forever. Like, I borrowed it from someone when I was in elementary, but he took it back before I finished. Oddly enough, the line I remember clearly is about 'fetching them some honeycomb'.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios

Cormac MacCarthy - The Road

Very bleak. Very Good.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

I'm reading nineteen eighty-four, which is pretty good, I must admit. I should write a lengthier review or something once I finish it and wicba.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

Pride and Prejudice was the only Austen book I read fully. I tried reading Emma also, but couldn't be arsed to finish because I couldn't stand the lead character. May try it again sometime. I thoroughly enjoyed PnP, and I'd like to get more into Austen if I had the time.

Bridget Jones' Diary - while it's pretty much just fluffy chicklit (something I tend to avoid), it's a pretty enjoyable read. I'm just bringing it up because there are quite a few intentional references/parallels to Pride and Prejudice in there :monster:

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
^ Ah, I've tried to get through PnP but never really could. Too dry for me. I think that was during the time I migrated toward Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. Gaskell's writing, for some odd reason, is just more appealing to me than Austen. Maybe it was because she was less of a romantic.

Since I'm here, I'll recc what I'm currently reading. I needed a novel to break through the endless manga cycle, and this one did it for me, and is doing it well:

Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Gutterson, which opens in the middle of Kabuo Miyamoto's trial on the fictional San Piedro Island in 1954. Basically deals with the much swept-under-the-carpet racism of the Americans towards the Japanese after the war.

Gutterson is really good at what he does, and the characters are so fluid, it's almost as if I can feel them moving under my eyelids as I'm reading, slapping testicles and all >.>;;;. I especially admire the character of Hatsue. It shows in the first chapter alone, in the first actual exchange we get between Ishmael and Hatsue:

" Don't be like this," said Ishmael.
" Go away," she'd answered.
" Hatsue," said Ishamel. " Don't be like this."
" Go away," she said again.

And she really means it. I want to have at least a strand of that conviction.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
slapping testicles and all

lolwat.

I've started rereading old novels.

I read the Blue Sword books over again. I really love fantasy books apparently. Anyway, if you like strong female leads, dragons, and magical swords, those books are for you.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've always been a fan of the (main) Dragonlance series as far as fantasy goes. I suppose they can be a little derivative at times, but I always thought they had some really good characterization.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Reading The Iliad at the moment. Currently around book V or VI, I forget which - the one titled "Hector and Andromache". So good.

Good ol' Diomedes.

I've also been on a bit of a Gibran kick lately - read The Prophet, and just picked up another book ("The Eye of the Prophet", I think?). Supposed to be selected bits from various books of his (which sucks, but still better than none). Deep insight is deep.

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
Dacon said:

I've read a lot of books, but Cedars is probably the only one that thoroughly explored sex in a way that seemed real and natural to me. For instance, I was aware of, but had forgotten, that men had testicles attached during (and after) intercourse, >.> until I was reminded by a passage in this novel, when
Kabuo and Hatsue had their (first?) martial sex before he leaves for the war

Oh, the many joyful things you can learn from reading a novel!

And I don't particularly go for strong female leads, but I am attracted to ones that have strong mental convictions. I've outgrown fantasy (except for michael moorcock and a few other series), but...if you say it's good, then I might give it a try. I'm willing these days. Got nothing better to do.

Mind telling me the name of the author if you read this thread again, Dacon?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The Blue Sword and the Hero and the Crown are both written by Robin McKinley.

They're rather old books so I don't know about the status of their availability.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
My all-time favourite fantasy works are the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett and A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I'm too lazy to go and review all thirteen pages of this thread to ascertain whether I've recommended these yet, but they're what I'd recommend to people who don't generally like fantasy; Discworld for the fact that it's basically just a satire of the real world, and ASoIaF for the fact that it almost entirely eschews the black-and-white morality and characterisation found in most fantasy. ASoIaF is almost as violent as Berserk though, so for those who don't like violence, :monster:.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I'm extremely partial to Vampire Hunter D novels by some guy who's name I can never spell. It's translated by Kevin Leahy though. Amano's the illustrator. The novels have a bit too much grandioseness to them, and the fact that every single girl seems enamored with D is annoying, but it's usually action-packed and has some very interesting characters.

Of course, I'm a total D fangirl, so what can I say? :P

H

dead
AKA
Oryx, Debussy, Hatsumimi
The Blue Sword and the Hero and the Crown are both written by Robin McKinley.

They're rather old books so I don't know about the status of their availability.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but, you know, out of the 4 ~ 5 years that I've known you, I've never once heard of you picking up a book that didn't involve swords and magic. Tell me that's not true.

Also, can't you link me to an excerpt or something? : (

V said:
ASoIaF is almost as violent as Berserk though, so for those who don't like violence,

I vaguely recall someone from ACF recc'ing this for me to read, but I don't know if it's you or someone else. I can't stomache violence, really. Had to take breaks from Berserk several times over a course of several years, and I'm only 1/5th through the story (and then almost completely dropped it)...so I guess I'll stay away from this one, just like I'll stay away from the movie " Last House on the Left", or whatnot.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but, you know, out of the 4 ~ 5 years that I've known you, I've never once heard of you picking up a book that didn't involve swords and magic. Tell me that's not true.

Hey what the hell, we've talked about sci-fi books, adventure books, and supernatural novels. Hell, I read all kinds of comics too. WTF WOMAN.

Also, can't you link me to an excerpt or something? : (

Those books were published in like, the 1980s, I don't even know if there's excerpts online. Check google.

I vaguely recall someone from ACF recc'ing this for me to read, but I don't know if it's you or someone else. I can't stomache violence, really. Had to take breaks from Berserk several times over a course of several years, and I'm only 1/5th through the story (and then almost completely dropped it)...so I guess I'll stay away from this one, just like I'll stay away from the movie " Last House on the Left", or whatnot.

You're such a lightweight.

Top Bottom