Remake hopes and fears survey

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Random encounters can still work. Maybe have some means to cancel them out like repels in pokemon. How low can the chances get with the enemy away materia?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
People want random encounters? This isnt the 90s
Does it only qualify as a random encounter if you can't see the monsters on the map (e.g. old-school FF and Pokemon) or do visible monsters that materialize on the map/field and try to run towards and engage you in battle (e.g. EarthBound and Ni no Kuni) count as well?

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I'd rather see the enemies myself; that's what I voted for. I'm surprised so many people like random battles. I never disliked them, but I like seeing the enemies a lot more.
I don't think they'll do random battles anyway. I think they'll go for the more realistic look of seeing them on the field.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
People want random encounters? This isnt the 90s
Does it only qualify as a random encounter if you can't see the monsters on the map (e.g. old-school FF and Pokemon) or do visible monsters that materialize on the map/field and try to run towards and engage you in battle (e.g. EarthBound and Ni no Kuni) count as well?

Only if you cant see them and cant avoid them.

Random encounters were a product of technical limitations. These limitations dont exist anymore, so they're not needed.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
I always wondered how to the leveling progression would work if they took away random encounters. I saw it as a necessary evil in order to make my characters stronger. If they made battles optional wouldn't some players be under leveled going into some areas?

I know they could implement a work around but I'm not too sure what I could be? Forcing players to level up is kinda needed right?

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
Nah, not everyone would fight every single random battle either, sometimes people would just run away from them anyway, thinking that if they fought too many they were going to be over leveled for bosses or wouldn't find bosses a challenge, etc instead.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
sometimes people would just run away from them anyway, thinking that if they fought too many they were going to be over leveled for bosses or wouldn't find bosses a challenge, etc instead.

That would have only been possible with random battles in the first place though. I'm talking about newer players really.

Lex

Administrator
Well if you think about the likes of FFXII and FFXIII which also don't have random encounters, it's not a problem. Most people fight most of the enemies their first run through. I don't mind random encounters but I've come to realise that's because I'm so used to them from early FF games.

If you play a FF game or a RPG you're not familiar with without a guide and you want to explore, random encounters become incredibly frustrating. If the battle requires any thinking at all in you're in the middle of a path, it's very easy to get lost and forget where you've been and where you haven't, particularly in areas like Temple of the Ancients. Without random battles, exploration becomes a shitload more fun, and exploration in RPG's is super important.

Consider also when you're looking for a specific enemy, that has a low encounter/ spawn rate. I think it's better to actively scout for that enemy on the field than battle countless mooks/ run from many battles while you're looking for something like the striking staff in the train graveyard. In that sense keeping random battles actually removes player agency and leaves you to rely on RNG.

That said, I'm sure I voted somewhere in the middle for that question in this survey. I don't care if they keep random battles, but I've realised I do actually prefer to see enemies on the field. More choice is always better :D

ForceStealer

Double Growth
XIII was really the perfect compromise in that regard. (What with visible, avoidable enemies and also having a separate battle screen allowing for crazy destructive attacks and everything.)

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
Well if you think about the likes of FFXII and FFXIII which also don't have random encounters, it's not a problem. Most people fight most of the enemies their first run through. I don't mind random encounters but I've come to realise that's because I'm so used to them from early FF games.

If you play a FF game or a RPG you're not familiar with without a guide and you want to explore, random encounters become incredibly frustrating. If the battle requires any thinking at all in you're in the middle of a path, it's very easy to get lost and forget where you've been and where you haven't, particularly in areas like Temple of the Ancients. Without random battles, exploration becomes a shitload more fun, and exploration in RPG's is super important.

Consider also when you're looking for a specific enemy, that has a low encounter/ spawn rate. I think it's better to actively scout for that enemy on the field than battle countless mooks/ run from many battles while you're looking for something like the striking staff in the train graveyard. In that sense keeping random battles actually removes player agency and leaves you to rely on RNG.

That said, I'm sure I voted somewhere in the middle for that question in this survey. I don't care if they keep random battles, but I've realised I do actually prefer to see enemies on the field. More choice is always better :D

Thanks Lex, I feel the same tbh. Anything that breaks immersion should be avoided really I suppose. Random battles don't bother me either but again that's because I'm used to them too.

I hope they improve on FFXIII and XII systems though.

Top Bottom