• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
You can say that all you want. But I would not be the least bit surprised to see it completely absent from the remake only to show up in something else.
That's fine, Remake shouldn't be beyond subject to change later on either but people that see no problem with the Compilation retconning FFVII left and right, no problem with the Compilation retconning itself left and right, no problem with the prospect of the Remake retconning the original but when Remake intends to not abide by the Compilation go "Whoa, let's not get crazy! Maybe the characters just aren't hearing, seeing and remembering things right but it still totally happened." are incredibly baised and unreasonable.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So what do you do if BOTH versions of the Nibelheim scene are in the remake? :monster: Sans Genesis in the Kalm flashback, but then the one with him in some optional postgame Modeoheim dungeon, presented as an aspect that Cloud wasn't aware of?

I'm not being unreasonable. I'm saying that making declarative statements about what canon says or doesn't say RE the compilation and the remake is setting yourself up for failure.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
So what do you do if BOTH versions of the Nibelheim scene are in the remake? :monster: Sans Genesis in the Kalm flashback, but then the one with him in some optional postgame Modeoheim dungeon, presented as an aspect that Cloud wasn't aware of?

I won't do anything, though I have a difficult time imagining this. Cloud can't even tell the story of the Nibelheim Incident without Barret consistently interrupting, why would Genesis not test Barret's patience even more, when he's not even offering similarly comfy beds for the occasion?

I'm not being unreasonable. I'm saying that making declarative statements about what canon says or doesn't say RE the compilation and the remake is setting yourself up for failure.

Only if it's too much to ask that one course of events is true in regards to one installment's interpretation of the story. If it is too much to ask I don't wanna be right.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So your position is basically that every entry in the Compilation, including the original and the Remake, exist in their own personal universe? I suppose that works, I would just subscribe more to the idea that they are all true and not true because they don't care about a consistent course of events and will tell whatever version of a story behooves them in a given moment.

For instance, I do not expect Genesis to show up in Nibelheim in the Remake. But I DO expect a Zack's death scene that more resembles the Crisis Core version. Making CC both canon and not canon at the same time. FF7 canon (and, again, perhaps Japanese storytelling at large) is Schrodinger's Cat.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
oh wow, didn't know there was more discussion on this. SFLR but something happened with the house and...it was complicated. whatever.

FFVII has an even greater staple presence then Crisis Core, I would argue. Yet the Remake being different from that does not provoke a response.
well...it's the original game so....i don't see why the obvious should be brought up. the compilation is the discussion at hand.

it's like star wars continuing clone wars. the reaction was possibly even bigger (or at least on par) with the first announcement of the first new movie. the prequels are popular, and they are many of them, but they resemble the compilation completely imo. no-one liked the prequels, everyone wanted to forget them. until clone wars came out, and saved almost every single one of the new prequel characters. now with star wars having fans clashing against each other, clone wars is confirmed again and gets this huge reaction. fans are even saying it can save the franchise. so yes, clone wars isn't only included in the prequels of star wars but it's the most prominent presence. for sure. and yes, there are fans who don't watch, haven't watched, and don't care about clone wars. and there's definitely a lot of them. but if disney or lucasfilms suddenly said that even for the continuation of the show, it's non canon (which is NOT what happened with FF tho), the reaction would still be huge, and it would definitely hurt them.

also, as i said before, people missed the one word that was translated, which was "yet", strongly implying (imo) that they are still choosing carefully what and what to add in the remake.

I watched (abridged) playthroughs of DoC and CC on YouTube, and certainly those two and AC are the most well-known of the spin-offs. I doubt that many people outside of this forum finished DoC because it was an incoherent and frustrating mess with what looked like clunky gameplay and (like AC) was about one character essentially repeating their arc from the original game with the rest of the cast making only brief cameos.

I for one don't believe they're going to scrap the Compilation, I think that's a harmless lie they're using to protect themselves. The truth is, they can't scrap it. It's not like the people making it don't know about the entries. The statement, from my perspective, is a statement that they won't be trying to create a centralized hub-story enmeshed in the Comp but rather make their own new thing. But Square Enix has been living with these entries for 15 years now, it's impossible to erase it entirely, even if they tried. If the trees in the Forgotten City don't glow white like magic salt, I'll eat my hat. Like, I just had to google the original pre-rendered background to make sure they WEREN'T white in the OG.

AC - the most well-known, many people's entry point into FF7 and FF in general. The most likely to retroactively change the story in FF7:R, either by adding Denzel or cluttering the ending with some more "I will never be a memory" bull.
BC - super obscure, Shademp-level obscure. Could be mentioned in a throwaway statement by Reno, probably sarcastically mocking whoever died in it.
CC - pretty well-known, if people forked over the money for a PSP they probably played it. Twice as many people watched the cutscenes on YouTube. Regardless of whether they keep the Banora apple or Modeoheim or the holodeck in Shinra HQ, CC will influence what they do with the backstory, not by adding Genesis, but through the characterization of Zack, the legacy of the Buster Sword, and perhaps most saliently with Yuffie's relationship to Sephiroth.
DC - more people know of it than people who played it. "Mixed reviews" is a generous statement. Perhaps a reference to Omega Weapon or Deepground will be easter eggs for the completionist gamer.
yeah, i agree with this. but the video was a huge overreaction especially over a interview that was old.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
oh wow, didn't know there was more discussion on this. SFLR but something happened with the house and...it was complicated. whatever.

well...it's the original game so....i don't see why the obvious should be brought up. the compilation are the discussion at hand.

it's like star wars continuing clone wars. the reaction was possibly even bigger (or at least on par) with the first announcement of the first new movie. the prequels are popular, and they are many of them, but they resemble the compilation completely imo. no-one liked the prequels, everyone wanted to forget them. until clone wars came out, and saved almost every single one of the new prequel characters. now with star wars having fans clashing against each other, clone wars is confirmed again and gets this huge reaction. fans are even saying it can save the franchise. so yes, clone wars isn't only included in the prequels of star wars but it's the most prominent presence. for sure. and yes, there are fans who don't watch, haven't watched, and don't care about clone wars. and there's definitely a lot of them. but if disney or lucasfilms suddenly said that even for the continuation of the show, it's non canon (which is NOT what happened with FF tho), the reaction would still be huge, and it would definitely hurt them.

also, as i said before, people missed the one word that was translated, which was "yet", strongly implying (imo) that they are still choosing carefully what and what to add in the remake.

yeah, i agree with this. but the video was a huge overreaction especially over a interview that was old.

I like that comparison, This is like saying "I don't care if Darth Vader really is or isn't Luke's father after all, so long as TCW remains untouched. TCW are good, no question, but have some effing priorities. If the original is being deviated from why on Earth should Crisis Core remain sacred?

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
I like that comparison, This is like saying "I don't care if Darth Vader really is or isn't Luke's father after all, so long as TCW remains untouched. TCW are good, no question, but have some effing priorities. If the original is being deviated from why on Earth should Crisis Core remain sacred?
i don't think the copypaste of CC is what is at hand for the fans, rather the fear of it being deleted completely. if S/E kept the new characters and even 50% of the story, i feel they would be satisfied.

also, the original itself getting redone in parts isn't that big of a deal, not now anyway. it's been retconned so many times :awesome:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
i don't think the copypaste of CC is what is at hand for the fans, rather the fear of it being deleted completely. if S/E kept the new characters and even 50% of the story, i feel they would be satisfied.

also, the original itself getting redone in parts isn't that big of a deal, not now anyway. it's been retconned so many times :awesome:

There's like 2 new characters that can appear in FFVII, and only one whose absence would imply discontinuity and what he's concerned from what I've seen, even among Crisis Core fans, Genesis has a lot of detractors. I'm sure Rick Gomez will get more lines as Zack then he would in a straight adaptation of the original though.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
And they could still simply declare that CC is canon and that Cloud simply doesn't know that part and no amount of yelling about how it doesn't make sense will change it :monster:

As Cloud remembers it he confronts Sephiroth and asks him why he burned his hometown, killed his mother and hurt Tifa. In Crisis Core's canon, which does not assume anyone's perspective in particular and just impartially shows what happened whether Zack is knocked out face down in another or not, that line, what can made applicable to Zack, Zack said, what cannot be pilfered wasn't said anyone anywhere at all and Cloud mutely participated in the proceedings. Remake either is or is not going to follow Crisis Core's brilliant example. they can't halfsies that.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
One Compilation element, albeit a minor one, I'm comfortable betting SE will keep in the Remake is that they'll keep the room where Sephiroth falls/is thrown into the pool of Mako, be the part of the reactor that Jenova's body is kept in (the area above the stairs), instead of having Sephiroth slowly walk all the way down a set of stair and past Cloud onto the catwalk into the next room like the OG.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Not sure on that one. The Remake will make the room in question, as it contains Tifa's dad. CC didn't need to make that room at all so adjusted the fight.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Not sure on that one. The Remake will make the room in question, as it contains Tifa's dad. CC didn't need to make that room at all so adjusted the fight.
CC wasn’t the only Compilation entry that changed Sephiroth’s fall to the Jenova chamber though, both BC and Last Order also had it that way too. Where Tifa’s dad corpse is can easily be changed (Last Order already did that with him being killed outside the reactor). It’s one of the elements that have been consistent across multiple Compilation titles.
Personally, I think it also makes for better cinematic scene pacing, as opposed to Cloud waiting for Sephiroth (who has a Buster Sword sized chest wound) to slowly walk past him just comes off as awkward pacing-wise.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
There's like 2 new characters that can appear in FFVII, and only one whose absence would imply discontinuity and what he's concerned from what I've seen, even among Crisis Core fans, Genesis has a lot of detractors. I'm sure Rick Gomez will get more lines as Zack then he would in a straight adaptation of the original though.
yeah, as much as i like genesis, i am speechless when it comes to writing him in without falling face first. that's one big mistake that i can admit on.

InterfaceLeader

Pro Adventurer
I can live with any and all single plot points being the same as the OG, the same as the Comp, or completely new... as long as the sweeping sense of scale, the incredible characterisation and the quality of the storytelling is high. They want to completely redesign the scene where Sephiroth falls into the reactor? That's cool, as long as I'm on the edge of my seat. They want to make Genesis a secret playable character in the way that Vincent and Yuffie were? That's cool as long as it's handled well and not shoehorned in. They want to make Aerith able to be resurrected? I mean, I think there is a way of doing that and it being an incredible twist, and there's a way of doing that which will be awful.

The game will either have good writing or it won't, and it doesn't actually matter that much what the actual beat-by-beat plot points are imo. I've read time-travel AU fics that nail the FF7 characters, and I've read crappy fics with an obsessive attention to canon details, even the ones that contradict each other... and I've also read incredible canon fics and crappy time-travel AU fics.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
ok so i saw two videos that helped me understand and yet still keep the hype for the RM. so, i'm sure lots of you know this by now but i went underground and didn't even try to find any news for a long time so this is new for me. but this video told me that the slow news and the release of the trailer wasn't really S/E's fault, so i no longer blame them for what happened 3yrs ago.

another video, (i forget which) said that mobius included some small insights on what new roads the RM could be by looking into cloud's past. and if this is true, i am so ready for it. either way i'm going to look at the gameplay since it keeps appearing in my reccs a lot so there's that lol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I was expecting to roll my eyes, as the only two emotions Nomura seems to elicit are adoration or disdain. But that was actually a reasonable and interesting video. So, well done.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Top Bottom