Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Here's another one of those Edamame channel interviews, this time a roundtable with Kitase, Uematsu and Sakaguchi discussing FFVII and the Bra Bra concert. Once again Uematsu seems to let slip that Remake was meant to come out this year? I don't personally remember this, but apparently he said this at one of the concerts and it went viral.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju

okay but this video gave me all sorts of faith i never knew i had. my older/est brother walked up to me a day after i saw this and said a friend showed him a video that made him not worry as much. that's when i asked him did it involve talking about game engines and he said yes. we had watched the same video lol

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this guy?
A load of rubbish. I hate when people act like know-it-alls who assume they understand what's going on behind the curtain and boil issues down to basic points. There's a lot that annoys me here. I don't know why I'm so riled up about it though. I think I'm just in a bad mood. As I typed this I realised the post just became my own mental rant. For that reason I'm going to spoiler tag the main content as to not clutter the thread.
He conveniently omits that the 'external companies' Square worked with (aka CyberConnect2) apparently weren't working to a standard they were happy with, and instead uses this as a point against Nomura. Then we get a plain dismissal of development cycles. FFVII isn't automatically a simpler project because it's a Remake, in fact I've always maintained this makes it more complicated. Sure, all the basic elements are there, but then there's all the effort you have to put into re-imagining elements; discussing what to keep, tweak or remove; reviewing/rewritting the script; conduct voice acting; generally increasing the volume of the game to match modern technology; redoing and making more music to compliment a higher volume of more complex cutscenes- The list goes on. You can't just brush that off and call it a "headstart".

Beyond that, contrary to his beliefs, games do in fact take a long time to make, especially AAA titles. No, they don't have to be open-world multiplayer games as he suggests. He brings up KH3, but if you consider the false start they had with Luminous Studios and the short delay that wasn't even down to development issues, I would argue it had a fairly normal cycle of a game of it's scale (And that doesn't even factor in the tedious back and forth that surely must come when you're working with Disney).

A large point in his rant is how long it's taking just to get the first part. "4 years to make 33%"? I find that simply misleading. If development moved back in-house, we can perhaps assume they would be reviewing the core game. That would be fairly separate from the work going into other tasks like graphical assets, music, cutscenes (Things people like Nomura have even stated to be proceeding smoothly). It's a serious setback, but development would theoretically progress much faster upon resolution. It just seems odd to label it 33% when it's likely a throughline with all the parts. They're probably working on assets for the other parts as we speak. I admit though that this paragraph is basically my own speculation though.

I'm not saying Square hasn't made mistakes. I'm not saying Square have been giving consumers good communication on the project. I'm not even saying the title should necessarily take this long. It's just breaking things down too simply for my liking. In the end the video devolves into another Nomura rant we've all heard a thousand times, even if he does throw in Kitase for good measure. Although I did get a chuckle out of him using KH 2.8 as a point against Nomura even though it was delayed because FFXV moved up 2 months into its window.
TL;DR- No, obviously Remake has taken a lot of time but I feel this video is just silly armchair analysis without deeper consideration into how games are made these days.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Releasing FFVII for the 30th anniversary in 2018, "Should have been an easily accomplishable task" says someone who seemingly knows very little about game development. If the company had ANY confidence in what their release window for the game would be based on what they've completed thus far – *gasp* they'd've announced a release window for the game. One really big and successful game that came out this year was, God of War and that game took their team 5 years to complete. Also, since that game is also a part of a story that they want to tell, you could go off calling it 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 of a reboot/sequel, depending on how you think that they're splitting that story up.

But if they ran into something on THAT game – they could just make up something different to fit what they were able to achieve. The dude clearly doesn't understand that making a REMAKE of something is actually developmentally FAR more difficult than making something new, because you're constrained by the original in a lot of ways that you're not if you're just creating something fresh. The whole audience essentially already has an outline that you HAVE to follow for your final product, and they'll be bothered if you don't do that, so making changes and alterations on something THAT well known is vastly more difficult.

Yes, Nomura takes a long time to put out games – that's a surprise to absolutely nobody and something we ALL knew as soon as we saw his name on it. The question is whether the final product will be worth the wait we all ALWAYS knew it was gonna take. There's no reason to lose faith in what the game's gonna be just because it's following their pattern of being slow as hell about it. Yeah, it's frustrating but I also suspect that when KHIII releases in January, we'll start getting more information about the Remake since that'll be off their plate and out of the way.

Hell, even FFXV's been mostly radio-silent all year when it comes to the updates that we know we're getting for that, and that also means that there's that additional marketing and release to be cognizant of when it comes to ensuring that the marketing doesn't get overshadowed or eclipsed by FFVII, and we know that game's DLC chapters aren't gonna be done until Spring of 2019, which means that there's no way anyone should've been expecting it to've been a 2018 thing, even if there WERE some internal development plans around it.

Hell, nobody even knows WHAT Uematsu was referring to when he said, "this year" either. There's a possibility that they might still be planning on some sort of reveal still, which is why they censored him. Assuming that ANYthing this new involves their composer accidentally referring to what would have been a long-since-abandoned internal-only release date is fooling themselves.

(Edit: Ryuman and I are clearly on the exact same page)

X:neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Hell, even FFXV's been mostly radio-silent all year when it comes to the updates that we know we're getting for that ...

Do we? =P

I mean, yeah, we have every reason to believe we're still getting the character DLCs
-- but I really believe the updates for "Comrades" have been or will be canceled. We're far past the release window on those, and basically everyone had already stopped playing the expansion when the plans for the updates were announced.

As for the VII remake, either it will come out or it won't. It has been genuinely liberating to no longer be concerned about it.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Do we? =P

I mean, yeah, we have every reason to believe we're still getting the character DLCs
-- but I really believe the updates for "Comrades" have been or will be canceled. We're far past the release window on those, and basically everyone had already stopped playing the expansion when the plans for the updates were announced.

I agree on that part. Plus, most of the world knows how Comrades go anyway and there are still updates for FFXV coming out next year with four new episodes. If Companies have been silent for far too long like an entire year and a half, that's when you start having the thought that the plans they had for certain games or anything really are on Hiatus or to be eventually announced to be cancelled.

As for the VII remake, either it will come out or it won't. It has been genuinely liberating to no longer be concerned about it.

I wouldn't worry about the Remake being cancelled just yet. The reason we haven't heard much of it lately is because one, they announced it too early, and two, because Nomura wants to release KH3 first before he can work on the Remake. Not to mention he probably already has other projects on his plate Square's putting him on. The best option I can think of is we won't be seeing Part 1 of the Remake until at least 2020 and we may hear a bit more about it once KH3 is finally released.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Ah okay, I haven't been around much and I wasn't sure if this was the general consensus of the fanbase or the guy was just being a douche.

Hell, nobody even knows WHAT Uematsu was referring to when he said, "this year" either.
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. I read "Uematsu confirms FFVII remake should have been this year!" but... I mean that's all I found so :monster:

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this guy?

What a ridiculous video, and the comments are just as bad. People have called him out bu they are too few and overwhelmed by the crazy comments.

People don't seem to realise the length of time it takes to create games. Last I checked too, Western development teams are larger than Japanese development teams which is potentially a contributing factor, which the YouTube fails to mention.

Just seems like the run of the mill, rip on FF7Remake situation...

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
What a ridiculous video, and the comments are just as bad. People have called him out bu they are too few and overwhelmed by the crazy comments.

People don't seem to realise the length of time it takes to create games. Last I checked too, Western development teams are larger than Japanese development teams which is potentially a contributing factor, which the YouTube fails to mention.

Just seems like the run of the mill, rip on FF7Remake situation...
let me guess....did it completely ignore the fact that the announcement was literally forced and not nomura or S/E's fault? honestly, if it wasn't for the leakers, we probably would have been waiting 2 or 3yrs before the release. people need to get tf over it.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
S/E says they'll release more information next year, after KH3. KH3 comes out in january. probably a couple months after that they'll release some info.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
let me guess....did it completely ignore the fact that the announcement was literally forced and not nomura or S/E's fault? honestly, if it wasn't for the leakers, we probably would have been waiting 2 or 3yrs before the release. people need to get tf over it.

He claims that it wasn't announced too early and basically says it should only take 2 years or something to make a AAA RPG game. He then tries to say that some Xenoblade Chronicles port!! A port! Took a shorter time to do... Of course it did, because the whole game is there already...
it may have been a "difficult port" but the full game is there, you're not really creating a game from scratch.

How many AAA RPGs are there that are aiming to have/or already has such high-end graphics coupled with swap-able characters in an action-styled combat system?

The guy is utterly clueless as to what Game Development entails and says its 33% of a game when we don't know how many parts there are, it could even be 4 *shrugs* it's x% of story but that could be said about most games - it may be a remake but how do you tanslate all the content of the original game into Full HD or maybe even 4K graphics in a single release.

I guy hasn't done his research about anything FF related and seems just to have picked the big headlines over the years., likely hasn't played the original game and doesn't actually know about Game Development.

He makes reference to the "2018 missed release year".... ok (if what Uematsu said was actually true - I thought it was more a reference to 2018 is the year of FF7:R music) so that says they needed extra time to polish or complete the game - most games have similar issues

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
lol...he doesn't even take into consideration that they have to make the program adjustable for PS5 (and possibly PS4 as well)?

even if he's 100% right, i don't understand the complaints and wails because in the end they'll all just shut up and play the game away. complaining did, has done, and will do absolutely nothing to what happens in the future. imagine being so pretentious you can be arrogant a game that not only hasn't been out yet, but barely anyone outside of the producers know about the process as well. just IMAGINE.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
lol...he doesn't even take into consideration that they have to make the program adjustable for PS5 (and possibly PS4 as well)?

even if he's 100% right, i don't understand the complaints and wails because in the end they'll all just shut up and play the game away. complaining did, has done, and will do absolutely nothing to what happens in the future. imagine being so pretentious you can be arrogant a game that not only hasn't been out yet, but barely anyone outside of the producers know about the process as well. just IMAGINE.

I’m not on the whole “Skip PS4 go to PS5” boat, as I can see Part 1 releasing on PS4 as it looks like it could release in 2019, prior to the PS5s projected release year of 2020/2021 which are the two years I’ve seen thrown out there.

A Part 1 remaster on PS5? Sure, they did the same with X/X-2HD on PS3 and PS4.

Hopefully Nomura is allowed to get information out as soon as he wants once KH3 is released. I look forward to potential interviews, which will most likely be famitsu ones, where he starts building 7:R hype. He was denied the opportunity to show footage last year, which is interesting because if the director (a supposed perfectionist) is confident that the footage is good enough to show off to the public and supposedly a journalist go to see this footage and thought it was amazing then we COULD be in for a treat next year in terms of high quality footage. The games further along than most people state on the internet.

Hopefully this then shuts people up who say it’s “taking too long” when we’ve pretty much been aware of development from the very start, unlike other games which already have a few years under development at announcement.

The game hasn’t taken too long to release at all....

Lex

Administrator
As much as I don't want this to turn into a remake speculation thread (there are better places for that), I remember a theory from Easy Allies that's starting to look more and more likely - they were throwing the remake together quickly by outsourcing it before taking stock of the situation and going "actually, this is really important". I didn't want to believe there was "development trouble" when all that "shifting internally" stuff was happening at first, but I now truly believe they started again when they moved it back to SE HQ. I mean, I'm sure there are assets they intend to use from CC2. I'm just also acutely aware that it's all but confirmed P1 was supposed to be released this year, and come December it'll have been 3 years since the last trailer.

Next time we see it it's going to look completely different from what we've seen already. I'm still looking forward to more, but I'm no longer up in arms about the lengthy absence. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've delayed this to PS5 launch, since that's all but confirmed to be happening next year also. That idea is annoying yeah, but there's a precedence (XV) and indirect evidence (no footage for 3 years, dev kits have been available for ages, launch windows fit). It's just one of those times where you go "haha how could they possibly get away with that" and then when you sit and think about it, it's Square's remit to do shit like that and not even show a remote inkling anyone expected anything different. XV, the tonedeaf E3 "conference" this year, the tonedeaf FFVII PS4 re-release announcement at PS Experience 4 years ago. It's just what they do.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've delayed this to PS5 launch, since that's all but confirmed to be happening next year also.

That’s news to me, I thought the most recent chatter from semi-official/insider channels were saying the PS5 would come out in 2020 at the earliest. If it was coming out in 2019 I think it would have been announced or leaked by now?

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
As much as I don't want this to turn into a remake speculation thread (there are better places for that), I remember a theory from Easy Allies that's starting to look more and more likely - they were throwing the remake together quickly by outsourcing it before taking stock of the situation and going "actually, this is really important". I didn't want to believe there was "development trouble" when all that "shifting internally" stuff was happening at first, but I now truly believe they started again when they moved it back to SE HQ. I mean, I'm sure there are assets they intend to use from CC2. I'm just also acutely aware that it's all but confirmed P1 was supposed to be released this year, and come December it'll have been 3 years since the last trailer.

Next time we see it it's going to look completely different from what we've seen already. I'm still looking forward to more, but I'm no longer up in arms about the lengthy absence. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've delayed this to PS5 launch, since that's all but confirmed to be happening next year also. That idea is annoying yeah, but there's a precedence (XV) and indirect evidence (no footage for 3 years, dev kits have been available for ages, launch windows fit). It's just one of those times where you go "haha how could they possibly get away with that" and then when you sit and think about it, it's Square's remit to do shit like that and not even show a remote inkling anyone expected anything different. XV, the tonedeaf E3 "conference" this year, the tonedeaf FFVII PS4 re-release announcement at PS Experience 4 years ago. It's just what they do.

I think since the interview hints that the Remake “missed this year” then it would naturally flow into release speculation....

When you outsource a game that other company doesn’t do all the work, they just assist. Nomura also wanted to show footage of the game last year but was denied so there must’ve been, at the time, good quality footage to show off which wouldn’t get “scrapped” - this is where the theory would appear to collapse. Their biggest project to date and they’d let CC2 do all of the initial work? I don’t think even Square are that stupid.

You also can’t really use XV as an example as the team kept being pulled off the original VXIII project and then actually cancelled. XV being reborn from this, which itself only had a 2 month delay and nothing scrapped.

The Remake hasn’t had staff helping out on other
games (as far as we know) and has had plenty assurances that it is flowing smoothly which is all we have to go on right now but we just have to believe. There isn’t any other game going through difficulties either.

They have stated to investors of releasing big blockbuster games per year sequentially up until 2020. We only know of three “blockbuster” games. KH3 - just missed 2018, FF7:R - 2019? Possibly Avengers - 2020? This was stated after the in-house movement of development.

I have also seen people state why would Uematsu even let that slip if it was no longer true... surely he should be aware of status of the game if he’s directly involved in it? He’s also let this slip twice now.

I do believe it’s further along than most people actually think.

PS4 and PS5 for Part 1 though seems a good possibility

That’s news to me, I thought the most recent chatter from semi-official/insider channels were saying the PS5 would come out in 2020 at the earliest. If it was coming out in 2019 I think it would have been announced or leaked by now?

I’ve seen 2021 touted too as the year of release.

Top Bottom