• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Can't argue much with those thoughts Hian. And I definitely agree that the next trailer will give us enough to form a basis for his this really will turn out.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
... "Trends have changed"? What a pointless statement from a development perspective.
I mean, who're you making this game for? RPG fans? Action adventure fans? Fans of the original game? older fans of the franchise? Newer fans of the franchise?

Fact of the matter though is that FFVII is still the best-selling FF game to date, and had its largest influx of sales during a period when gaming wasn't half as socially acceptable as it is now, and the total gaming population of the world was smaller by a significant degree.

What does that tell us? That "evolving" FF to match the "trends" by catering to people who probably don't have much interest in RPGs to begin with is not getting you ahead, because ultimately, FF will always be a game shouldered largely by fans of classical JRPGs, and they're slowly dropping off your consumer list the more you give them the cold shoulder with your new design philosophies.

What this sounds like to me, is another instance of the VG industry's implosion by increased production costs I.E
"Oh we just have to make this game look like a CG movie! Ooops, that's gonna cost so much we now have to sell more copies than what are core fan-base is capable of shouldering, so let's change stuff to make the game more appealing to the rest of the gaming public (the people who generally just play Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and the annual sports titles like Fifa)."

Screw you SE FF department. Those people didn't buy your games way back when, and the majority of people who did are not interested in playing GTA in a FF skin. (...)

Dissidia: FF global sales - 2.24 million
Dissidia 012 : Duodecim FF global sales - 0.88 million

VS.

FFVII : Over 11 million, and that's still not a perfect estimate.

Adding together every FF game with an action battle system and FFVIIAC sales you still don't top that, meaning that the vast majority of FFVII fans (and indeed FF fans) are not most familiar with Dissidia's action battles.
In fact, the people familiar with action based FF battle systems in general are a minority within the total FF consumer base.

(...) based on this interview and the previous ones, and the game-play video, I'm getting a strong feeling that the battle-system we're looking at is like the RPG-style set-up for the Dissidia games.

(...)

That isn’t to say we’re changing everything!
Wrong. What you should have said here is "That isn't to say we're changing all that much".
Now it sounds like you're changing more than you're not changing, which defeats the purpose of a remake to begin with.

I'm happy they're confident, but belief alone seldom leads to good results.
How about you get together a strong test-panel of dedicated fans from across the world to give you feed-back along the way? That way you'd have a much better factual idea of whether or not you're striking that balance, instead of just a belief based on jack all.

No people, that interview really didn't do it for me.

Also, based on some of the awkward English in there I'm kinda doubtful as to the quality of their translation work. I'd really like to see/hear the original Japanese.

I'll still try to remain hopeful. I think I'll have a pretty good idea how this will turn out by the next trailer, and that's when I'll probably put me cards on the table and set my expectations.

Well said Hian

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
The starting point was – and our executive producer [Shinji] Hashimoto-san has mentioned this – it would even be okay if we just upped the graphics to the quality of Advent Children. But, in terms of game styles and battle systems, it’s been 20 years since the original, and a lot has changed. Trends have changed, and I believed that we needed to revisit and rethink that aspect for the remake.
This, to a degree, annoys me.

"Trends have changed"? What a pointless statement from a development perspective.
I mean, who're you making this game for? RPG fans? Action adventure fans? Fans of the original game? older fans of the franchise? Newer fans of the franchise?

Fact of the matter though is that FFVII is still the best-selling FF game to date, and had its largest influx of sales during a period when gaming wasn't half as socially acceptable as it is now, and the total gaming population of the world was smaller by a significant degree.

What does that tell us? That "evolving" FF to match the "trends" by catering to people who probably don't have much interest in RPGs to begin with is not getting you ahead, because ultimately, FF will always be a game shouldered largely by fans of classical JRPGs, and they're slowly dropping off your consumer list the more you give them the cold shoulder with your new design philosophies.

What this sounds like to me, is another instance of the VG industry's implosion by increased production costs I.E
"Oh we just have to make this game look like a CG movie! Ooops, that's gonna cost so much we now have to sell more copies than what are core fan-base is capable of shouldering, so let's change stuff to make the game more appealing to the rest of the gaming public (the people who generally just play Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and the annual sports titles like Fifa)."

Screw you SE FF department. Those people didn't buy your games way back when, and the majority of people who did are not interested in playing GTA in a FF skin.

We haven’t completely transitioned into action, but as our director [Tetsuya] Nomura-san says, Final Fantasy (in terms of action games) is best represented by Dissidia in the current landscape. In terms of the Final Fantasy action battles people have experienced themselves, that is most familiar to them these days. In terms of the image of the battle system, that’s where we’re getting the feel from. It won’t be as action-focused as Dissidia, of course, but the the visuals and how the gameplay feels in essence will be drawn from that Dissidia-esque style.
Whomever feed that impression to Nomura and Kitase needs to be fired.

Dissidia: FF global sales - 2.24 million
Dissidia 012 : Duodecim FF global sales - 0.88 million

VS.

FFVII : Over 11 million, and that's still not a perfect estimate.

Adding together every FF game with an action battle system and FFVIIAC sales you still don't top that, meaning that the vast majority of FFVII fans (and indeed FF fans) are not most familiar with Dissidia's action battles.
In fact, the people familiar with action based FF battle systems in general are a minority within the total FF consumer base.

FFXIII sold reasonable well - it was on a recent console, sporting relatively high-fidelity realistic graphics, and it also had a command-based battle system with transitional combat happening on a separate screen. A relatively large numbers of fans were fine with this and bought the game - in fact the battle system was one of the things about that game that received the most praise from fans and critics alike.

That being said, to end on a positive note - based on this interview and the previous ones, and the game-play video, I'm getting a strong feeling that the battle-system we're looking at is like the RPG-style set-up for the Dissidia games.

In the previous interviews they said that they wanted people to be able to think strategically, and play stress-free which implies little if any reliance on twitch/combo/timing mechanics.
That and with the comparison to Dissidia, I think we're looking at a set-up where you select a command off of the battle menu, and then have a large part of the actual attack/defend process be automatic.

That would be pretty clever because that would allow you to calmly scroll through spells/items, select targets etc without having to worry about the melee getting out of hand because the characters would be sitting ducks whilst you scroll menus.

I imagine you'd select attack, and then perhaps only have nominal control over movement by selecting a target, and Cloud slashing away automatically. Whilst if you pick defend, he'd evade and block automatically based on context as well.
This way, you could set a character to attack, switch, set another to defend, switch again, scroll through items/magic whilst your characters fight etc.
Perhaps play around with the camera, and just take things in whilst the fight plays out.

This would retain the visual flair of the compilation they care so much about, and the tactical nature of old-school command based battle systems. It would also be a good way to salvage most of the old Materia system, or even adding a skill system on top of it, where advanced attacks (combos, death blows etc.) evasion maneuvers (wall-running, boosts, double jumps etc.) would get added to combat through progression in those areas.

I'd be quite please if that's the direction they're taking it.

I can only speak for myself personally - but the tendency to drop out half-way through a repeat play-through of an old game isn't because I already know the story - it's because despite wanting to experience the story, I have to jump through all the game-play hoops to get at it.
Unlike a movie or book, where the story is constantly unfolding as you progress with no barriers stopping the progression - gaming as format is founded on the very principle that your progress ties together with performance in game-play.

What gets old playing FFVII for the umpteenth time isn't the story - it's all the stuff in-between keeping me from getting to the interesting points of the story I want to see.
Who am I kidding though? I'm still playing FFVII start to finish to this day, pretty much yearly, and I friggin' love the game-play.

Sure. That's a dumb mind-set to have going into a remake though, since when people are asking you left and right for a remake, that's probably what they want, and if you really have all this pent up creativity you feel like using, how about you make a new game instead?

That isn’t to say we’re changing everything!
Wrong. What you should have said here is "That isn't to say we're changing all that much".
Now it sounds like you're changing more than you're not changing, which defeats the purpose of a remake to begin with.

Of course, within Square Enix and across the globe, there are people who think it’s on this holy scale. That there isn’t anything we can touch or play around with. But we believe we know the balance between what can be changed versus what needs to be protected.
I'm happy they're confident, but belief alone seldom leads to good results.
How about you get together a strong test-panel of dedicated fans from across the world to give you feed-back along the way? That way you'd have a much better factual idea of whether or not you're striking that balance, instead of just a belief based on jack all.

No people, that interview really didn't do it for me.

Also, based on some of the awkward English in there I'm kinda doubtful as to the quality of their translation work. I'd really like to see/hear the original Japanese.

I'll still try to remain hopeful. I think I'll have a pretty good idea how this will turn out by the next trailer, and that's when I'll probably put me cards on the table and set my expectations.

Personally, I find that interview rather fishy, if you ask me. Plus, the way I see it, Square goes more for the quality of games rather than playing close attenion on both the gameplay and the story in their games these days.

And the way how you said about sarcastically suggesting to Kitase to make a new game rather than the remake is like what I've said from the beginning.

So back off the ledge, Tasha.

Um, what are you talking about?

...Are you serious? You just spent the better part of a month in the other thread convinced that they're "rebooting" the franchise and wiping away all the Compilation stuff and now they've reiterated that they're explicitly not.

Sorry, I got confused and thought it was the fact that they were still rebooting it. My bad. I know that I've spend pretty much most of the time convinced about the remake, and it is my bad on that part, I admit.

Can't argue much with those thoughts Hian. And I definitely agree that the next trailer will give us enough to form a basis for his this really will turn out.

When's the event again? August or something? I mean, I don't think FFXV will appear at the event because it'll be out in September. I think the next trailer will give us a better idea on how the multi-part series of the remake will go, like say, showing us the first episode or something.

Ite

AKA
Ite
And we'll all be holding video cameras in front of ourselves that whole week lol

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I don't think we'll be getting a new trailer for VIIR this E3. Square Enix wants FFXV to remain in the spotlight for now. There's also this Dengeki article quote:

Final Fantasy VII‘s 20th anniversary is in 2017. Can we expect anything for its original release date on January 31?

Nomura: “Personally, I’m waiting for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy in 2016. I think when they’re completed, I’ll be able to release new information.”

Why announce the remake so early then? Nomura stated that:

"There's more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we're hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it'll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console. If we announced the remake after all those titles have been sold, it wouldn't have created such an impact, so that's why we decided on this timing. We wanted to reassure players that PlayStation 4 is coming out with great titles including Final Fantasy 7. That's why we decided to announce the remake."

So basically it's to boost console sales before XV, KHIII, and World of FF. I'm trying not to get excited anytime soon...

Pixel

The Pixie King
To me, that's even more reason for Sony to want at least something for the conference. Or maybe if Nintendo really wanted to push the NX, they could make an FF7 announcement. I dunno. I'm sure it will be present in some capacity.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
To me, that's even more reason for Sony to want at least something for the conference. Or maybe if Nintendo really wanted to push the NX, they could make an FF7 announcement. I dunno. I'm sure it will be present in some capacity.

Nintendo won't have FFVII:R for their consoles. The only time they allowed such a thing is having Cloud a DLC for Super Smash Bros 4, which ruined things in my opinion.

I don't think we'll be getting a new trailer for VIIR this E3.

I don't think so either. This year is for FFXV, KH 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy.

Square Enix wants FFXV to remain in the spotlight for now. There's also this Dengeki article quote:

Final Fantasy VII‘s 20th anniversary is in 2017. Can we expect anything for its original release date on January 31?

Nomura: “Personally, I’m waiting for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy in 2016. I think when they’re completed, I’ll be able to release new information.”
Why announce the remake so early then? Nomura stated that:

"There's more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we're hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it'll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console. If we announced the remake after all those titles have been sold, it wouldn't have created such an impact, so that's why we decided on this timing. We wanted to reassure players that PlayStation 4 is coming out with great titles including Final Fantasy 7. That's why we decided to announce the remake."
So basically it's to boost console sales before XV, KHIII, and World of FF. I'm trying not to get excited anytime soon...

The way Nomura said this sounds practically stupid if you ask me. I mean, no one even asked if KH3 is coming out next year and he didn't say anything about that.

Personally, I don't think we're even getting KH2.8 or World of Final Fantasy this year. More likely next year for both titles and then KH3 in 2018.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

I think everyone pretty much knew that FFVIIRemake wasn't coming out this year or early that's year, that's for certain. Seriously, that's one of the most stupiest info out since everyone had guessed that, since the game itself is still in early development.

But if this game comes out BEFORE KH3(and if KH3 itself is delayed because Nomura wants to focus on that rather than finish what he delayed for so long), I will NOT be happy.

hian

Purist
Not surprised. I mean, was anyone banking on a 2016 release for part 1, given the upcoming release of FFXV and the fact that a lot of SE's future RPG line-ups and the progress of current projects bank on the success of that title?

Will be interesting to see if we get some more news over the upcoming E3 though.
They're really holding the cards close to the chest when it comes to the remake, and I can feel that the transparency that they proceeded with in regards to XV has somewhat eroded my patience for that kind of approach. I NEEDZ MAH INFO-FIX NAO.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Smeh. I'll take remake before KH3.

And how do you know HE delayed it? He doesn't run the company, you know.

Nuh uh. No way. KH3 first, because that's been in development before the remake. I've been waiting for KH3 since Dream Drop Distance, and if I have to wait for another three years just for the remake to be fully released in all parts before KH3 is finally released, I will not be happy.

I know that he's not the President of Square Enix, but since last year, I've lost faith in him.

Not surprised. I mean, was anyone banking on a 2016 release for part 1, given the upcoming release of FFXV and the fact that a lot of SE's future RPG line-ups and the progress of current projects bank on the success of that title?

Will be interesting to see if we get some more news over the upcoming E3 though.
They're really holding the cards close to the chest when it comes to the remake, and I can feel that the transparency that they proceeded with in regards to XV has somewhat eroded my patience for that kind of approach. I NEEDZ MAH INFO-FIX NAO.

I wouldn't be suprised if there were anyone in the world who were expecting the remake to come out this year, but we all know that, given FFXV coming out this year along with KH 2.8, and hopefully KH3 next year(please let KH3 come out in 2017, I've waited long enough, and my paitence is getting thinner and thinner and dangerously close in reaching it's point end), there's no way the remake would even by out in early 2017.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Even if part 1 of the remake came out first I doubt they would push KH3 back until all parts are released.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Even if part 1 of thectemake came out first I doubt they would push KH3 back until all parts are released.

Well, I for one don't want to wait until 2018 for Kingdom Hearts 3 just because Nomura decides to focus on the Remake next rather than actually finishing off the development of the former game that was announced(even if said announcement was too early back three years ago) and in development first.

Besides, the Remake is too massive to have even the first part coming out in 2017. Steven Burton, the voice of Cloud, will probably be lucky to voice Cloud in the english version of World of Final Fantasy and KH3.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well, if Nomura is focusing on the remake it probably is because his boss is telling him to. I mean, he didn't want to ditch XV for the remake, he was forced to.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Well, if Nomura is focusing on the remake it probably is because his boss is telling him to. I mean, he didn't want to ditch XV for the remake, he was forced to.

So you're suggesting that his boss wants the remake more than KH3, thus we have to wait for KH3 for pretty much longer if said boss says so?

Okay, then I've seriously am losing my faith in the Company all together, since KH3 will never be released at this rate.

I know that he's not the President of Square Enix,

Well clearly you don't, or you'd stop talking about him "choosing" to work on one game instead of another.

What do you mean I don't know he's not President of Square Enix? I know that he's not, because I read up his profile(profile on his job at least, not his personal life, since everyone's privite on that at least). Yosuke Matsuda is the current President. Nomura's pretty much still the video game and character artist, designer and director of some games he is chosen to do.

Unless Wikipedia is always wrong. *Sigh* It's hard trying to talk sense these days, and yesterday pushed me to my limits since everything went practically wrong and it was a day before Friday the 13th.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
So you're suggesting that his boss wants the remake more than KH3, thus we have to wait for KH3 for pretty much longer if said boss says so?

Okay, then I've seriously am losing my faith in the Company all together, since KH3 will never be released at this rate.

That's almost exactly how it works.
Sure, Nomura probably has some power to chose for himself what projects to work on - to the extent that he can say no without getting fired when a project is proposed to him, or to the extent that he can propose projects himself and get them green-lit - and he also (when directing) probably has a lot of control over work-flow and task-management, but ultimately he is not the one who gets the final say on what games to work on and what time those games are to be released.

The way the corporate latter works in game development, is that the higher ups of a dev team, lead by the producer, pitches a project to company management and the majority share-holders, and then they have to bargain for time and resources through extensive sit-downs through-out the concept period.

They go back and forth and establish a development window with mile-stones that needs to be reached within certain dates along the way.
Nomura is not in control of that in any of the projects he works on, because he is not the producer, nor does he have to power overturn the executive decisions of the producer and the company heads/majority share-holders.

Why this should make you lose faith in a company is beyond me though, because this is literally how all large video-game publishing/production companies work.
It also does not mean that KH3 will never be released.
It simply means that when it does get released, is not up to Nomura.

What do you mean I don't know he's not President of Square Enix? I know that he's not, because I read up his profile(profile on his job at least, not his personal life, since everyone's privite on that at least). Yosuke Matsuda is the current President. Nomura's pretty much still the video game and character artist, designer and director of some games he is chosen to do.

Presumably what he meant is that if you really knew that, and by extension what that actually means, you should stop talking as if the release date of KH3 and FFVII:R falls on the shoulders of Nomura, because for the most part, it doesn't.

Nomura is most of the time, only a character designer (and at that he only really does drawings and character story-board work), and some directing.
While being a director means that he will be doing task-management which will affect the efficiency of the work-progress of the rest of the team, the team (Nomura included) will still have to work to meet the mile-stone demands set by the initial negotiations between the producers and company management.
If the team does not meet those mile-stones due to Nomura's mismanagement of his team further down the line, this will likely lead to him being replaced.

Unless Wikipedia is always wrong.

This has nothing to do with Wikipedia being wrong or not, and has everything to do, like I've said before, with you not understanding the corporate structure of video game development companies, and the process surrounding development itself - which leads me to this :

Besides, the Remake is too massive to have even the first part coming out in 2017. Steven Burton, the voice of Cloud, will probably be lucky to voice Cloud in the english version of World of Final Fantasy and KH3.

Stop saying this. You don't know this, and by everything that can reasonably be said about the development of the remake, it simply isn't even remotely likely to be true.

Unless you assume that part 1 alone is going to be significantly bigger than Witcher 3, there is nothing what so ever, except a major fuck-up of team/resource management on part of Kitase and Nomura preventing part 1 of the remake from being released sometime within 2017, given what we know of the time-frame, the current state of the company, and the involvement of other companies in the development.

If you think it will - you're looking at an FFVII remake that is so bloated and padded to the point that the entire thing will have the pacing and coherency of the bible read cover to cover. That's not going to happen. Nobody is that dumb.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

That's almost exactly how it works.
Sure, Nomura probably has some power to chose for himself what projects to work on - to the extent that he can say no without getting fired when a project is proposed to him, or to the extent that he can propose projects himself and get them green-lit - and he also (when directing) probably has a lot of control over work-flow and task-management, but ultimately he is not the one who gets the final say on what games to work on and what time those games are to be released.

The way the corporate latter works in game development, is that the higher ups of a dev team, lead by the producer, pitches a project to company management and the majority share-holders, and then they have to bargain for time and resources through extensive sit-downs through-out the concept period.

They go back and forth and establish a development window with mile-stones that needs to be reached within certain dates along the way.
Nomura is not in control of that in any of the projects he works on, because he is not the producer, nor does he have to power overturn the executive decisions of the producer and the company heads/majority share-holders.

Why this should make you lose faith in a company is beyond me though, because this is literally how all large video-game publishing/production companies work.
It also does not mean that KH3 will never be released.
It simply means that when it does get released, is not up to Nomura.

Presumably what he meant is that if you really knew that, and by extension what that actually means, you should stop talking as if the release date of KH3 and FFVII:R falls on the shoulders of Nomura, because for the most part, it doesn't.

Nomura is most of the time, only a character designer (and at that he only really does drawings and character story-board work), and some directing.
While being a director means that he will be doing task-management which will affect the efficiency of the work-progress of the rest of the team, the team (Nomura included) will still have to work to meet the mile-stone demands set by the initial negotiations between the producers and company management.
If the team does not meet those mile-stones due to Nomura's mismanagement of his team further down the line, this will likely lead to him being replaced.

Unless Wikipedia is always wrong.

This has nothing to do with Wikipedia being wrong or not, and has everything to do, like I've said before, with you not understanding the corporate structure of video game development companies, and the process surrounding development itself - which leads me to this :

Stop saying this. You don't know this, and by everything that can reasonably be said about the development of the remake, it simply isn't even remotely likely to be true.

Unless you assume that part 1 alone is going to be significantly bigger than Witcher 3, there is nothing what so ever, except a major fuck-up of team/resource management on part of Kitase and Nomura preventing part 1 of the remake from being released sometime within 2017, given what we know of the time-frame, the current state of the company, and the involvement of other companies in the development.

If you think it will - you're looking at an FFVII remake that is so bloated and padded to the point that the entire thing will have the pacing and coherency of the bible read cover to cover. That's not going to happen. Nobody is that dumb.

*Sighs* Well, I don't care what month KH3 comes out, considering how even March is too early(They pretty much confirmed that both KH3 and FFVIIRemake are not releasing before April next year, which makes sense), I don't care if it comes out in August, or September, or October, or even November, as long as it comes out in 2017, then I'll be happy.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho

Ite

AKA
Ite
...an FFVII remake that is so bloated and padded to the point that the entire thing will have the pacing and coherency of the bible read cover to cover. That's not going to happen. Nobody is that dumb.

Careful! The last time I said that about Square, I should have knocked wood.

Interesting interview, and confirms all-too-late our suspicions that FF7R won't even be brought up at what's left of E3. It's likely that they'll roll out a new trailer at the next PS Experience, or their own private event. My prediction is that we'll get a "character reveal" trailer showing off Tifa and Aeris this December, and then at next year's E3 we'll get a demo and a release date.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Interesting interview, and confirms all-too-late our suspicions that FF7R won't even be brought up at what's left of E3. It's likely that they'll roll out a new trailer at the next PS Experience, or their own private event. My prediction is that we'll get a "character reveal" trailer showing off Tifa and Aeris this December, and then at next year's E3 we'll get a demo and a release date.

FFVII Remake was still too early in development to even appear in this year's E3, so I'm not surprsied since I knew that it wouldn't appear months ago.

I think we'll be lucky to get something about that in September or most likely, December. At the moment, though, my focus is on FFXV, World of Final Fantasy, KH2.8, and hopefully(I'm hoping against hope), next year, KH3.

Ite

AKA
Ite

FFVII Remake was still too early in development to even appear in this year's E3, so I'm not surprsied since I knew that it wouldn't appear months ago.

You knew? That's exciting! How did you know?

Top Bottom