Secret Wars (2015) [Marvel]

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@Renew Your Vows:
I totally freaking called it on Regent's motives. I've only really been reading Carol Corps, Spider-Verse, Renew Your Vows, and Civil War, and I noticed a theme. People are becoming aware of what Battleworld is and that Doom is in control.

I had a discussion with someone on Reddit about this and I said that I figured Regent wanted Spider-Man so bad because he wanted to have a spider-sense. And that Regent knew about Battleworld and wanted to fight Doom. Check, Check and check. I called that shit. :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Nicely done. :monster:

I did not call it, and had just taken Regent for being the obligatory tyrant the story needed to set it in motion and provide ongoing tension.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Nicely done. :monster:

I did not call it, and had just taken Regent for being the obligatory tyrant the story needed to set it in motion and provide ongoing tension.

With Future Imperfect being the first one to have a big bad gunning for Doom, it wasn't all that surprising to see that motivation come up with other Barons who consider themselves essentially untouchable in their domain.

Also, insofar as the world becoming aware of its status as a construct generated by Doom: Korvac Saga, Captain Britain, & Carol Corps are all focusing on that pretty heavily in various and interesting ways.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So the other titles that comes up in are ones I'm not reading. XD

I do intend to check the rest of those out at some point, but I had to draw a line somewhere in how many of these I would get as they were initially released. "Future Imperfect" was the only one of those I was almost on board to get in the single issues format.

As it is, I'm getting the main "Secret Wars" miniseries, twelve different tie-in series and a few one-shots.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
If you ever wanna know if things are happening elsewhere, give me a topic like that and I'll letcha know, I'm trying hard to keep up with comics and other business, and am far too busy to write TOO much about things lately.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Star-Trek-Kahn.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Ultron Vs. Marvel Zombies & Future Imperfect ended this week, and I dunno (still have a few others to read).

They both kinda feel like they wrap up suddenly, and while the Ultron Vs. Zombies one was a little apparent, it didn't really feel satisfying. It was kinda just over.

One the other hand, I actually quite liked the way that Future Imperfect ended, because it defeats Maestro by using loaded words, and letting him fall victim to his hubris, and letting the rest go back to their domain. Yes, it gives the extreme conclusion that you wanted to see without ACTUALLY giving it to you, which some people may find bothersome, but I really liked because no matter what was going to happen, it wouldn't've been able to live up to the hype (especially given how Doom almost offhandedly iced Phoenix-Cyclops) and this actually lead you along for a little bit, and turned it into something that gave every part what they wanted -- Maestro got his victory, and the rest of them got a domain freed from him. That's what they all set out for, and the ending feels incredibly satisfying in that sense.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Guardians of Knowhere just lead into Secret Wars & The Guardians of the Galaxy #1, and you NEEEEED to be reading it, because holy shit.

EDIT: Korvac Saga goes along with this, too and is a big important thing for the main story of Secret Wars -- at least the grand scheme of things.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The end of Siege was hella good, and the final issue ties in VERY heavily to what we've learned in Secret Wars' latest issue.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Wasn't a fan of 1872, just wasn't for me but it has an ANAD version coming if you dug the Old West thing.

Age of Apocalypse was fun, but the ending made me cringe.

Weirdworld is just SO FUCKING GODDAMN GOOD and you need to read it if you care about Secret Wars stuff -- AND it'll be back as an ANAD title in December, so I only have to go one month without it, and absolutely everything about the comic is utterly, wonderfully, fantastic in every single way.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Finally making some progress on reviews:
----

Silver Surfer #14 (by Dan Slott, Mike Allred and Laura Allred): The Surfer and Dawn begin recreating their universe in the wake of its destruction in the final Incursion seen way back in "Secret Wars" #1. Despite the upbeat turn in circumstances, dire foreshadowing abounds.

Given the ability to recreate the universe as he sees fit, the Surfer has been unable to resist the temptation to alter it from how it was before, despite having set out with such intentions. He now aims to make the universe better than it was before.

Meanwhile, his always endearing companion from Earth, Dawn Greenwood, finds herself frustrated at being unable to at best recreate the Earth as it was before. She also avoided the temptation to use her newly bestowed power and responsibility to "improve" upon the previous universe by resurrecting her deceased mother -- which suggests to me that the Surfer will ultimately recognize that he was unfit to the task of recreating the universe, and so will instead pass his knowledge of the Earth and the rest of the cosmos to her, then bow out of the creation process.

Slott and the Allreds continue sharing the best Silver Surfer stories ever told, and I'm eager to get my hands on the conclusion to this series when the next issue is released.

Age of Apocalypse #2-3 (by Fabian Nicieza and Gerardo Sandoval): I take back what I said in my review of the first issue of this series -- Nicieza may have actually designed an even more hopeless setting here than was the original "Age of Apocalypse." It's readily apparent by this point that these are not the same X-Men seen in the original crossover, and not just in terms of roster.

Rather than crusading for a better tomorrow in the name of a good man's dream, this is a team of broken people without hope who have given up on the dream, and at most are pushing for at least bringing down the tyrant who killed it.

Also running counter to my expectations, this series is developing into something a lot stronger and more interesting than I initially thought. At this point, it's shaping up to be every bit as solid as "Renew Your Vows."

While on the subject of differences found here from the original crossover, there are the very different roles for Gambit (if being dead can be considered a role), Emma Frost, Rogue and Sabretooth while there is also now the notable presence of characters who had none in the original story. Among them: Doctor Nemesis, Carol Danvers and Adam-X (or "Burner" as he's called here, but given how his powers work and that Nicieza created him, he's obviously Adam-X -- despite Nicieza's playful attempts to keep his identity a secret for now).

Speaking of Adam-X, with the intense distaste Burner is showing for Cyclops in this story, it's likely safe to say that Nicieza will be going down the route in which he had originally intended to develop Adam for the mainstream Marvel universe: revealing him to be the Third Summers Brother.

On the illustration front, I can't say I'm loving Sandoval's work. This is more a matter of personal taste, though. His work is definitely as kinetic as that seen in most titles from the original "Age of Apocalypse" event, carries the right visceral charge for the setting, and is also highly reminiscent of Joe Madureira's style -- which, for many, is probably the definitive look of the original "Age of Apocalypse" being that Madureira drew the highly publicized cover for "X-Men: Alpha" and penciled "Astonishing X-Men," arguably one of the two flagship titles of the crossover.

Sandoval's contributions here, thus, also channel the similar stylings applied to the original event by Roger Cruz ("X-Men: Alpha" and "X-Men: Omega"), Ken Lashley ("X-Calibre") and Steve Skroce ("X-Man").

Despite all this, there's something missing here for me in Sandoval's line work compared to that of those other artists I mentioned above. Perhaps Nicieza's scripts for these first three issues just didn't provide enough opportunities, as there has been a lot of action, but I feel there's seemingly an inability on Sandoval's part to display the more subdued emotions that stick out in my memory in those titles from the past storyline.

Most every panel here evokes such an intensity, even when not needed, as to feel exaggerated beyond its natural limit, and thus fail to fully resonate.

If I seem too harsh on Sandoval here, it's simply because the original "Age of Apocalypse" event was my favorite comic book crossover ever at the time of its publication, and that remains the case even to this day. I'm going to be critical, maybe even a little unfairly so -- but I do hope to bring it back around by reiterating that Sandoval's style evokes that of several of the original event's artists, it carries the appropriate atmosphere to the setting, and it's an overall success in my mind for this title.

I'll also give credit where it's due in saying that Sandoval can draw a damn exciting action sequence. I love how that energy is so raw you can feel it jump off the page -- exactly what one should be able to say about an "Age of Apocalypse" book.

Also, if it helps any, I'm a little confused by the plotting here a bit as well. Until the final two pages of this issue, I'd been under the impression that the X-Men were trying to locate the virus that would kill all mutants (this universe's version of the Legacy Virus) in order to unleash it, killing themselves, Apocalypse and all the mutants loyal to him. That clearly isn't the case.

I don't think that misunderstanding is necessarily my own fault, though, given Marvel's solicitation for the first issue in this series: "His war has been won. The few humans left alive are enslaved, the mutant rebellion crushed. EN SABAH NUR, the APOCALYPSE, rules his BATTLEWORLD kingdom without mercy, but the terrorist X-MEN plan to end his reign. Success means finding one very special mutant named CYPHER and unleashing a weapon that will kill Apocalypse -- and possibly all mutants, too!"

Despite my mixed feelings about the art and the confusing setup blunder for the plot, this is rapidly shaping up to be one of the best "Secret Wars" tie-ins. It certainly has at least myself eager for the rest of the story.

Renew Your Vows #5 (by Dan Slott, Adam Kubert and Scott Hanna): Here, Slott manages to deliver a highly satisfying finale to this "Secret Wars" tie-in. Surprisingly, it's a happy ending that will do much to make up for the forever dreadful "One More Day" storyline to those Spider-Man fans like myself who have still not forgiven Joe Quesada's absurd -- yet successful, alas -- crusade to end Peter Parker's marriage to Mary Jane.

Seeing as Quesada's endeavour accomplished this in the most irresponsible (for the character) and insulting (to fans) way possible, it would take more even than this great miniseries to set things right, but Slott taking the time to prove that Peter can be both Spider-Man and a family man -- and even kick ass alongside his family -- is a welcome relief for this blogger, who refused to purchase any Spider-Man books after 2007's "One More Day" all the way until "Renew Your Vows" was unveiled. Indeed, I didn't buy anything at all from Marvel for several years because of Joe Quesada and "One More Day."

Giving both credit and constructive criticism where it's due, the writing isn't perfect here. There's a large plot hole that doubles as an annoying dangling thread with regard to whether other superhumans captured by The Regent and placed in his siphoning tubes are usually already dead when placed there, whether they die a while after siphoning begins or whether they remain alive but comatose.

After being placed in a tube alive and comatose, Peter manages to find the strength to escape and join his wife and daughter in battle with The Regent, but it's left unclear whether any of the other people stuck in these tubes are still alive. Regardless, this is a forgivable oversight for the story we are given and for the awesome scene it facilitates.

While on that subject, what isn't forgivable is a large, disruptive ad right in the middle of this most dramatic moment of the book, creating confusion about how the scene progresses since it turns out to be a double-page spread that continued on the other side of the aforementioned ad. Someone in the publishing department really dropped the ball here.

My comments on the art for this final installment of the mini will echo what I've been saying since my review of issue #3: It's wonderful that Hanna could assist Kubert with art duties, and thereby get each issue out on time, but the difference in their work is much too obvious to me, so I really wish Kubert had been able to have just his name on the pencils credit for the collected editions of this story. Not that Hanna's art is bad, mind you -- it just pales next to Kubert's, which would be a tough act for anyone to follow. For what it's worth, the attempt at mimicking Kubert's style is admirable, and Hanna is to be commended.

Overall, this has been a fantastically satisfying read, and has redeemed the Spider-Man franchise a bit in my eyes. Shame then that Marvel seems intent on running it into the ground going forward in "All-New, All-Different Marvel" -- but since "Secret Wars" is my jumping-off point anyway, this probably makes for as satisfying an ending for Spidey as I could hope for.

Runaways #4 (by Noelle Stevenson and Sanford Greene): With a nice bow placed atop this "Secret Wars" tie-in, the Battleworld volume of "Runaways" sees its cast through youthful rebelliousness, life on the run, romance, betrayal, actual rebellion, and a little bit of redemption. Like "Renew Your Vows," this is yet another thoroughly satisfying finale.

Despite my expectations, we find ourselves with another happy ending, tinged as it is with the bittersweet. The crew here makes up some of the only characters in the "Secret Wars" tie-ins thus far to not face a miserable end for defying God Emperor Doom's will. Most of them, in fact, come out the other side of the defiance quite comfortably.

Notably for the wider setting of "Secret Wars," we also see young Valeria become willing to defy her father for the first time here -- a precedent that will assuredly carry over into her behavior in the events of the main "Secret Wars" miniseries.

Weirdworld #3 (by Jason Aaron and Mike Del Mundo): More of the same fun fantasy hijinks we've come to expect. Everything that occurs stands out in memory whether it's taking great strides in advancing the plot or no, as should be the case with a fantasy setting.

As always, the art is striking as well, and perfectly befitting the subject matter.

Characterization hasn't expanded in any noticeable fashion, but we were given everything we needed to know about Arkon in the first issue. Besides, Weirdworld itself is really the star here.

This is easily one of the most consistent and most offbeat tie-ins to come out of "Secret Wars."

Siege #3 (by Kieron Gillen, Filipe Andrade, Julian Totino Tedesco, Juan Jose Ryp, Andy Troy, Michael WM, Kaluta and Rachelle Rosenberg): Double-page spreads by guest artists, which have become characteristic of this book, continue to be its saving grace on the illustration front while Andrade continues delivering some of the most atrocious art ever seen in a comic book. Sadly, one of those panoramic battle scenes is interrupted by a large ad a la "Renew Your Vows" #5, displaying the same incompetence here that hurt that issue's presentation.

The third issue of this "Secret Wars" tie-in does deliver some exciting action and enchanting characterization, though. Abigail Brand actually hugs someone this issue, and it's not who you would expect.

This issue also provides some interesting, if brief, exploration of the rules in place on Battleworld. We get a look at the space "outside" the normal flow of time, which is littered with chronomines, making navigation of the timestream a literal minefield. Successfully moving around these explosive traps is damn near impossible, so the expectation is that anyone attempting time travel would be killed in the process.

Whose expectation is this? God Emperor Doom's obviously. The Beyonders whose power he now wields were linear beings with no ability to abuse the flow of time, so Doom presumably has no power over time either. The best he can probably do to safeguard his godhood against temporal threats is to prevent others from utilizing time travel if they're capable of it.

Speaking of Doom, it's validating -- and perhaps redeems the integrity of the plot -- to see someone remark upon the fact that he could resolve the struggles depicted in this book any time he wants, instead allowing for the defenders of The Shield to struggle on knowing they will eventually fail.

Despite momentary victories here, this issue ends on a note of particular dread with the arrival of Thanos, in what looks to promise a direct tie to events in the main "Secret Wars" mini. The setup is all here for an explosive, likely somber finale. I'm looking forward to it.

Secret Wars Journal #5 ("Risk of Infection" by Jen Soska, Sylvia Soska and Alec Morgan; "Mill-E: The Model Citizen!" by Aaron Alexovich and Diogo Saito): These final two offerings from this anthology series couldn't be more different in tone. Blessedly, we end on the more playful note.

The first story shows us the tragic story of one universe's truly noble, truly hot Linda Carter -- better known as the Night Nurse. In a story that feels more like a missing subplot from "Siege," we're reminded just why Doom's Battleworld is such a failure.

The second and final story is just plain ridiculous. Featuring a Doom PR robot, this is a silly, fun romp whose status as canon is probably of questionable veracity. It's a good note to end on.

This anthology series has been great. Not every tale has been amazing, but we are definitely talking far more hit than miss.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Almost caught up with the reviews.
----

X-Men '92 #3 (by Chris Sims, Chad Bowers and Scott Koblish): This glorious homage to and riff on all things X-Men of the 1990s continues. The voices and sensibilities are always captured perfectly even as a tongue-in-cheek self-deprecating humor underlies much of it. "Told you we should've brought the big guns" -- fucking brilliant.

That self-awareness ensures that it feels like a proper homage, whereas playing it all completely straight would come off as taking itself too seriously.

This issue more than adequately addresses the concerns I had in my review of the previous issue. Jean and Scott get plenty of attention this time around, and Cyclops even gets to look badass a couple of times. Perhaps not as much as Psylocke, but I'm not sure that anyone has come close to matching her in this or the previous two issues.

Storm does get a pretty cool moment, though, along with an astute observation about her powers.

The overall storyline has been pretty simple up to now, and remains as such. The authors wisely recognize, it seems, that trying to be too clever with the plot here would detract from the genuinely clever moments that abound throughout this miniseries.

That may mean this isn't a book that's going to change your life, but it isn't trying to be either. It's just trying to be fun and nostalgic, which it is doing extremely well.

If you were a fan of the 90s X-Men, comics or cartoon -- and especially if you're a fan of both -- this is the book for you. If you miss overly dramatic dialogue that would never actually take place during a fight, this is the book for you. If you miss being able to think of Bishop as one of the most loyal and noble X-Men rather than as a genocidal sociopath who spent years trying to murder a baby, this is the book for you.

Read this one for a return to a time when the guns were enormous, a time when the shoulder pads were not only there but also huge, and a time when Deadpool was actually funny. Seriously, I actually enjoyed Deadpool this issue. I can't remember the last time I was able to say that.

Age of Apocalypse #4 (by Fabian Nicieza and Iban Coello): As we approach the finale of this series, I've become fully convinced that Burner is Adam-X, and also that he is to be presented as The Third Summers Brother. The hints about all of it (the lab containment tube marked "Adam" and Burner's expectation that the plasma blasts of Alex Summers wouldn't harm him) are just too obvious.

While Burner being Adam-X is no surprise, this issue did abound with them nonetheless. From those who were unable to endure Apocalypse's insane "survival of the fittest" test (involving releasing this universe's version of the Legacy Virus), to who was behind manufacturing the damn thing in the first place (my money was on Sinister; I was wrong), to the Havok of this "Age of Apocalypse" being capable of reasonable thought and behavior.

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me was finding Gerardo Sandoval was only the cover artist on this issue. Replaced here by Iban Coello, the shortcomings I had previously found with the pencil work in this series were washed away. Those panels depicting Emma's tears, anger and determination were simply fucking amazing.

Coello still manages to pack a lot of raw power into his panels too. No offense meant to Sandoval, but I truly wish Coello had been the artist for this full series.

I do think I see what Marvel was going for here with the two artists, though. Sandoval handled the first three issues and the interlocking covers across all five issues, evoking that Joe Madureira style I talked about in my review of the previous issue, while Iban Coello was brought on for the final two issues to do homage more to the work seen in the other major titles of the original "Age of Apocalypse." These images more call to mind the contributions of Steve Epting ("Factor X"), Tony Daniel ("Gambit and the X-Ternals"), Chris Bachalo ("Generation Next") and Adam Kubert ("Weapon X").

With the true big bad of this series now revealed, the stage set for the showdown, and an artist whose stylings are more to my taste now on board, I am more ecstatic for the sendoff to this "Secret Wars" tie-in than I was at this point in "Renew Your Vows."

1872 #3 (by Gerry Duggan, Nik Virella and Lee Loughridge): This penultimate installment of Marvel's western series featuring reimagined versions of familiar superheroes in a strikingly different setting sees itself fall short of the bar set up to now. Virella and Loughridge continue delivering in the art department, but Duggan has started ball dropping on the writing.

Despite the high stakes -- several residents of Timely set out to topple Mayor Fisk, as well as to undo the chokehold Governor Roxxon has on the water Red Wolf's people rely on -- and the inclusion of plenty of action, this issue doesn't manage to feel as epic as the previous two.

Frankly, right from the start of this issue, it felt like the book's plot began coming off its rails a bit. Issue #2 ended on the dramatic note of reporter Ben Urich deciding to defy the lawlessness and corruption controlling Timely by printing the truth about Fisk. As this issue begins, that whole song and dance appears to be irrelevant: Urich's article has been replaced with something more favorable toward the establishment, he faces no negative consequences, and the matter isn't raised again.

This is easily the weakest installment of this series.

In addition to the questionable plotting, this weakness is perhaps also owed in part to the relatively unexciting subplot about trying to blow up Roxxon's dam, but I honestly think it has as much to do with misplaced setting for this aspect of the showdown. Taking any of the final act outside Timely feels like a mistake to me.

Also not helping bolster this issue is the premature demise depicted here of one of the book's central villains, who still had plenty of narrative value. Almost as though the writer sensed his mistake here yet couldn't correct it, a new villain with similar personality and presence is introduced near the end of the issue when the story would have been much better served by simply preserving the other character.

It may even have been enough to make up for the jarring change of locale if the villain there had been the original actor rather than this poor understudy.

What does work well this issue is Stark's exciting arrival, the fun western take on the Iron Man suit, and the backstory we're given for Fisk. These elements are the highlight of the issue.

I'm still looking forward to the final duel in this series despite the odd choices here. If Duggan can bring things back up to the quality seen in the first two issues, this could still make for a solid series built on a fun premise.

The Infinity Gauntlet #4 (by Dustin Weaver and Gerry Duggan): Well, hot damn. This issue certainly put my concerns from my review of issue #3 to bed. This one has it all: exciting action, a good character moment for basically the entire cast, an emotional development that genuinely resonates with poignancy by how subdued its expression is ("My world ends again" -- wow), and more of Weaver's gorgeous illustrations.

There's really not much more needing to be said, but I will add that this is one of the single best issues out of all the "Secret Wars" tie-ins I've read. If Weaver and Duggan deliver a finale as good as this issue, they will get my award for having crafted the best tie-in series to this event.

Thors #3 (by Jason Aaron and Chris Sprouse): Here we find more of the kooky yet captivating law enforcement intrigue we've come to expect from this series. It may not quite be Michael Mann's crime epic "Heat," but it is a lot of fun. Case in point seen this issue: We get the most entertaining interrogation room conversation involving comic book characters since Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight." This one features a trickster god rather than a clown prince of crime joker, though.

You can't help but have high hopes for anything with Loki (or an alternate universe's version of him) between Al Ewing's recent excellent series, "Loki: Agent of Asgard," and Tom Hiddleston's thoroughly entertaining portrayal in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Aaron was sure not to disappoint, allowing the conversation to inject both mystery and humor into this miniseries thick with gravitas, hefty hammers being hefted and the bearing of beards.

While speaking of the mysteries at work in this series, the murders being committed throughout definitely evoke curiosity. Though one question of "Who?" was answered in the form of betrayal this issue, it just raised a bigger question of "Why?" that hopefully gets a worthy (ah, puns!) resolution in the next issue's finale installment.

I have both high hopes and high expectations.

Where Monsters Dwell #4 (by Garth Ennis and Russell Braun): Switching gears pretty much entirely, it's probably not the best sign that I had put this one at the bottom of my stack of to-reads, then just decided to go ahead and get it over with because I didn't want it to be the note I ended on.

It's probably an even worse sign that I don't really care what happens at this point. One of the main characters is thoroughly unlikable and the other has gotten thoroughly annoying. I don't actively want either of them to die (I'm not yet at that point), but Clemmie hardly seems to be in any danger of that anyway, and while Kaufman is in ever hotter water (ha, puns!), it's really difficult to be concerned about this asshole. If he were to bite it, especially after what he does this issue, I would be saddened only at Ennis going the obvious route.

When that's all you can say about the only source of dramatic tension in a book, it's a really bad sign.

I didn't especially care for issue #3, but I liked it more than this one. The tone sticks with what began there (not exactly good news), Kaufman just becomes even more unlikable, and I've had it with Clemmie's snobby, impenetrable airs after two consecutive issues of that shit.

The first two issues were fun enough, but this thing completely derailed itself from being an adventure ride at the start of last issue and has shown little concern with getting the train back on the tracks. Shooting a couple of dinosaurs with a downed plane's machine gun this issue was the only time since issue #2 anything remotely in that vein took place, and then we quickly lost the feel again.

The only positive thing I have to offer here is that the art is still pretty. Otherwise, I'm ready for this one to be put out of its misery.

Weirdworld #4 (by Jason Aaron and Mike Del Mundo): At the complete opposite end of the spectrum for off-the-beaten-path tie-ins is this consistently awesome title.

Following a kinetic, visceral fight scene, "Weirdworld" #4 goes the unexpected route and actually delves into some character exploration and development. And it actually works.

The segment in question was, perhaps, the test of whether this book could stand tall, and it nailed it. Aaron displayed the wisdom of knowing just how far was sufficient to take it without losing the flavor of the book, yet still walked away with both Arkon and a supporting cast member feeling more well rounded.

Weirdworld itself continues to be the standout character of this miniseries, though, and its exploration was enhanced here as much as anybody's. The Forest of the Man-Things adds such a magical touch to this realm of fantasy that I dare say, cool as Weirdworld was before, this was the issue where it truly came into its own.

That whole sequence in the forest was fantastic, providing just the coloring needed to define Weirdworld with an even more enchanted feel than before.

Speaking of coloring and the art here in general, it got even more gorgeous in depicting this reflective, almost ethereal locale of the domain. This issue was both Aaron and Del Mundo's best work, and it's probably quite obvious that it's my favorite issue of the series.

I am thoroughly excited about the final issue of "Weirdworld."

Siege #4 (by Kieron Gillen, Filipe Andrade, Pepe Larraz, Ian Herring, Gary Choo, Bill Sienkiewicz): Well, here it is -- the last stand of the defenders of The Shield. As promised three issues ago, the Great Wall of Doom comes down and not everyone lives to fight another day. On the bright side, not quite everyone dies either.

Having arrived at the close of the previous issue, Thanos quickly sets the end of The Shield in motion. Actually, he already did that before he arrived. He reveals that he's somehow managed to unite the hordes of Ultron, Annihilus and the Marvel Zombies into one overwhelming host -- an irresistible force that will be marching on The Shield any moment on their way toward Castle Doom.

Seeing as his objective here is to create as large a distraction for Doom as possible, Thanos doesn't actually want to waste any of the great horde on the magnificent wall, nor does he have to. In conversations that present dialogue and characterization that are among the highlights of this series, Thanos convinces Ben Grimm -- whose body composes The Shield -- that the reality in which they all find themselves (i.e. Doom's Battleworld) is wrong, and sets him upon a path of retribution.

With all his pieces in play, Thanos himself sets off for the showdown with God Emperor Doom as well. Meanwhile, where The Shield once stood, its last defenders either go down fighting in a vain effort to halt the advancing numbers or decide better of it and seek their fortunes elsewhere.

The epic double-page spreads by guest artists seen throughout this series continue to be its high points in the illustration department. In particular, the final double-page spread (the last two pages of the issue) paint such a haunting image as to evoke a sense of beauty. Truly, it is gorgeous. Had the entire series been done in this aesthetic, what a pleasure to read it would have been.

Despite that shortcoming, which I've spoken on time and again now, the writing remains strong and delivers -- both as one of the few "Secret Wars" titles to closely tie in with the core miniseries, and as its own endeavor.

Secret Wars #6 (by Jonathan Hickman, Esad Ribic and Ive Svorcina): Of the many things going on this issue, the battle between Thanos and the Marvel Zombies depicted on the cover sadly isn't one of them. Nonetheless, a lot happens here, particularly when compared against the disappointing lull in the pacing seen last issue.

If this issue has any notable shortcoming, it's that too much that we should have seen on-panel takes place in a two-week gap between this issue and the previous. For example, we learn that -- presumably at some point shortly before the events seen in the "Age of Apocalypse" tie-in -- Apocalypse fought Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive, apprehended them and turned them over to Doom, who has been obsessed with tracking down the life raft survivors from Earth-616 and Earth-1610.

More significantly to me, we see that Namor and T'Challa have now set aside their impulse to kill one another on sight and are working together to bring down Doom. Pleased as I am to see this, as their feud has been one of the most interesting of Hickman's subplots for me, I really would have preferred to see the resolution of their long bitterness in "real time."

Perhaps unseen yet not unimportant matters such as this should have been presented in a companion book to the core "Secret Wars" miniseries -- an anthology piece like "Secret Wars Journal." Hickman could have preserved his intended pacing and still avoided glossing over some of the more personal character developments that may have slowed down the unfolding of the more event-driven elements of his story.

Speaking of which, we see the end of Thanos and Ben Grimm's conversation from "Siege" #4 repeated here along with the fall of The Shield and Ben's newfound resolution to topple Doom. If that doesn't cement that "Siege" is the most closely tied tie-in (I really just wanted an excuse to write this sentence), I don't know what would.

On a similar note, and related to the matter of personal character moments, we see here that Valeria's willingness to defy Doom did indeed grow after the events of "Runaways" #4. She doesn't do anything overtly defiant, but she does allow the two Spider-Men her father wants captured to evade his notice and approach the source of his power.

It may yet be that this one deliberate oversight leads to God Emperor Doom's fall, but even if not, it leads to a scene of fun banter between Peter Parker and Miles Morales. Hickman captures their voices just right here and injects some needed levity into this book.

Perhaps the greatest characterization seen this issue, though, is found in the unsettling conversation the two Reeds have from within the body of a dead Celestial.

Hickman really puts the contrasting personalities of these two men across here, so at odds with one another from a personal worldview even while they work together. One can almost feel the subdued horror that Earth-616's Reed must experience talking to this version of himself who is completely uninhibited by his own already loose moral compass -- which is really to say that 616 Reed must be chilled to the bone seeing what he would be without a family he loves to keep him grounded.

What's scary about that notion is remembering that Reed no longer has his family. They died in the final Incursion. Doom, meanwhile, has built a family for himself modeled after Reed's, which Earth-1610's Reed has no hesitation in bringing to his older counterpart's attention.

What manner of hell might the older Reed unleash before this story is done? Namor and T'Challa might have uncovered a complete Infinity Gauntlet left for them by Dr. Strange, but I think Reed is going to be the one to watch here. I'm actually more anxious to see what he will do than those Infinity Gems.

I'm so ready for this story to get to its final installments. It has been captivating for me, and the excitement really kicked into high gear here. With only three issues left to finish the story, only two of which will presumably be used to resolve the conflict on Battleworld, here's to hoping Hickman brings the action hard and fast next issue.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, I'm finally caught up with my reviews. Not only that, there's only something like five "Secret Wars" books left for me to review -- the final two issues of the core miniseries, the last "Silver Surfer" tie-in issue, the "Secret Wars Too" parody issue and "Secret Wars: "Official Guide to the Marvel Multiverse."

For now, this set of reviews is sort of an "endings batch," though, sadly, not for the core miniseries as well.
----

X-Men '92 #4 (by Chris Sims, Chad Bowers and Scott Koblish): I could pretty much just quote my review of issue #3 here, from "glorious homage to and riff on all things X-Men of the 1990s" to "If you were a fan of the 90s X-Men, comics or cartoon -- and especially if you're a fan of both -- this is the book for you." This "Secret Wars" tie-in knew precisely what it was here to do, and it did it very well.

The conclusion wraps things up satisfactorily, and even sneaks in a twist at the end that you definitely won't see coming. It may even actually be one that enhances the story. Much like the Shadow King's possession of Cassandra Nova meant you weren't reading the story you initially expected, this ending twist means you didn't quite read the story you thought you did. It may actually mean it was a better one, even if it does mean the overall plot wasn't as simple as previously taken. Ultimately, that will probably be for those who pick up the upcoming "X-Men '92" ongoing series to decide.

In either case, at least by saving the turnabout for the very end, it can't detract from the experience up to that point, which is full of awesome. Deadpool continues to be funny for the first time in years. Bishop continues not being a sociopath. Much nostalgia is felt.

Pretty much every member of the X-Men and X-Force get a moment to do something, and most get fun or dramatic character moments. There's also a lot of excellent team work on display amid a large united cast of mutants. Even several villains are in the mix, though we see little from them.

Appropriately -- and perhaps most reflective of the understanding the writers have for the works of the 90s that they're paying tribute to here -- the crises at hand are resolved by Jubilee and big guns. These guys get it.

I may not go all in for the "X-Men '92" ongoing when it debuts, but I definitely can't wait for the "Deadpool: Bad Blood" graphic novel that was just announced. It will be written by Sims and Bowers with Rob Liefeld -- Mr. Big Guns of the 1990s himself! -- handling illustrations. Should be ridiculous fun.

Seriously, if you were a fan of the X-Men in that decade or just appreciate smart, fun writing, do yourself a favor and read this mini. Not only is it one of the most well put together tie-ins to come out of "Secret Wars," but it feels like an absolute celebration of the characters and the fans.

So very highly recommended.

Age of Apocalypse #5 (by Fabian Nicieza and Iban Coello): Well, here we are. The concluding chapter to the "Secret Wars" tie-in that is also the 20th anniversary homage to my favorite Marvel event ever. How did it do?

Quite well. There are some issues with this issue (bad puns aren't one of them), but they aren't enough to derail anything. On the whole, Nicieza and Sandoval serve up a satisfactory conclusion.

I do wish Nicieza could have resisted the urge to write his own take on the Phoenix here, though, not least because the way Jean's story plays out is pretty similar to that awful "X-Men: Age of Apocalypse" miniseries that was done for the 10th anniversary of the crossover. It seems as though every X-writer, given the opportunity, will try making their own Phoenix story -- for Exhibit A, see the "E Is for Extinction" tie-in to "Secret Wars" written by Chris Burnham and published concurrently with this miniseries. For Exhibit B, see where even "X-Men '92" indulged that temptation a little bit -- ironically enough, involving Cassandra Nova and possession, just like "E Is for Extinction."

Whatever the case, Nicieza does deliver a high-octane showdown here with more than a few surprises. Some of them odd, in all honesty. There are several choices in the writing that are downright puzzling.

I can handle Apocalypse's Horsemen all taking unexpectedly noble turns for whatever reason and going down fighting the good fight, odd as that is, but why have Jean (as Phoenix) remove the X-Gene from all the surviving mutants after they've already been cured of the Legacy Virus? If it was what had to be done to stop the virus, fine, that works -- but it's plain silly to add that on after the cure has already been disseminated.

It's just a step too far in pushing for a happy ending to think this is going to instantly result in "we're all the same," as Cypher puts it. Again, had it been done to avoid the Legacy Virus killing any more mutants, it would have been both an interesting consequence of the virus and opened the door to asking how much removal of mutant genes would help in establishing peaceful coexistence.

As it is, it's both unnecessary for resolving the conflict at hand and somewhat embarrassing to assert that this is "the cure for everything," as though someone bound and determined to be racist (species-ist?) wouldn't just latch onto former mutancy as a mark of inferiority or superiority. Characters like Blink can't just pretend they were never mutants. One look at her reveals it.

For that matter, it's equally naive to think every mutant would be happy with losing their powers. They certainly weren't in the mainstream Marvel universe when the Scarlet Witch did her "No More Mutants" hocus pocus. Maybe Rogue likes flying. Maybe Emma likes being able to read other people's minds (more than a "maybe," I'd say). Maybe Cypher likes being able to intuitively interpret all communication on such a level that it's like reading minds without ever having to take foreign language classes.

Speaking of Cypher, his role in the plot is confusing. Not in the story, mind you -- his role there is vital, narrating for and providing insight to the reader. He serves as both our window on the world and our avatar within it. As far as his role in the plot goes, while we already knew since the first issue that Apocalypse wanted to use him to find the Legacy Virus, here we learn here that the X-Men had wanted to have him confirm that Apocalypse intended to release the virus, presumably as part of some plan to incite an overthrow against him.

How that was supposed to work, I have no idea. Doug Ramsey confirming that this is Apocalypse's intention in his own mind doesn't do a whole lot to confirm it for anyone else. The X-Men might as well have just announced that claim without ever tracking Ramsey down. Was it really worth losing four X-Men over in issue #1?

Anyway, getting back to the positive, there are plenty of small yet standout character moments in this finale, among both the X-Men and Apocalypse's former forces. It is genuinely cool seeing them all work together, and they do it well.

My favorite moments, though, involve the three Summers Brothers. You read that correctly: the three Summers Brothers. As I suspected, Burner is confirmed here to be Adam-X, and the Third Summers Brother (or Fourth Summers Brother, if we're counting that shitstain, Vulcan; or Fifth Summers Brother if we're also counting Chris Claremont's origin for Gambit from "X-Men: The End").

I can only imagine how gratifying it must be for Nicieza to finally see Adam revealed as such in print 22 years after creating the character.

Adam's role in this issue does contribute its own oddity, though, in an issue already boasting several. The point is made early in the issue that Cyclops's optic blasts don't hurt him when the main villain of the story uses Scott's power on Burner -- but Adam dies near the end of the issue by flying into the path of an optic blast meant for Scott and Alex.

Odd, like I said, but it's such a good moment I can't hold that against it.

I probably like this issue and the miniseries as a whole more than it deserves, but I really do like it. I feel everyone was handled well, the story was paced excellently, and the plot was well-constructed even if its execution wasn't always up to par.

On the whole, this has been one of the best "Secret Wars" tie-ins I've read. I'm going to enjoy reading it again sometime.

1872 #4 (by Gerry Duggan, Nik Virella and Lee Loughridge): I'm disappointed to say that this series wasn't able to return to the greatness we enjoyed with the first two issues. The plotting of this final installment might be even more of a mess than the previous.

By the end of the story, it begins to appear that the writer encountered one of two insurmountable obstacles: Either he hadn't plotted out enough story to carry the whole issue and then resorted to filling in space with as many cameos and references as possible; or he was so eager to work in all those cameos and references that he let the main plot go by the way side.

I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer to think happened. On the one hand, the writer found themselves with extra space available and couldn't do anything productive with it. On the other, a potentially satisfying conclusion was lost for the sake of a self-indulgent, self-congratulatory exercise that added little to the rest of the book.

Pick your poison, I guess. Either way, the story suffers markedly.

One example of this is how we finally follow up with Ben Urich at the end of this issue. It almost feels like Duggan himself only just remembered Ben at this point and felt obligated to bring him up again. At any rate, that whole subplot about him finding the resolve to print the truth again certainly amounted to nothing.

Also going nowhere is Red Wolf's act of mercy in the name of Sheriff Rogers' sense of justice. What starts as a nice direction for Red Wolf's character gets immediately sidelined by someone putting a bullet through Fisk's head -- and then nothing else coming of it.

It's almost as though Duggan was unsure what he wanted to do with the story. What did he want it to say?

Along a similar vein, the proliferation of superhuman powers toward the end of the book begs the question of just what the objective was here. By simply transferring the rise of superheroes to the 1870s from their original decade, we get away from the concept of "1872" -- and I dare say lose the appeal.

A final oddity that stands out is the implication -- nay, the explicit promise ("The Avengers of the west will return ...") -- that these characters and setting will be receiving an ongoing title a la "Weirdworld" in the "All-New, All-Different Marvel" initiative. One might even feel somewhat inclined to excuse all the jarring cameos and references toward the end of the issue were they legitimately able to perceive it all as setting up an "1872" ongoing.

We already know that's not the case, though, as Red Wolf will be getting his own self-titled series set on Earth-616 in the present day, and absolutely nothing has been announced along the lines of a "Westworld."

Even were there yet some cause to expect it, though, as discussed above, the conceit of the title is lost in the last pages of this issue. So why bother at this point?

On a positive note, the "1872" versions of Black Widow, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner were all handled very well here. Hopefully Duggan will realize that he's at his best when keeping his cast tight and the plot focused. Did this book benefit in any way from the forced inclusion of an "1872" version of Wade Wilson? As if Deadpool isn't overexposed enough already.

There's quite a lot of tragedy depicted and referenced in this "Secret Wars" tie-in, but none more so than that of a once promising series that meandered into mediocrity. Justice may have come to Timely, but it didn't come to "1872."

Where Monsters Dwell #5 (by Garth Ennis and Russell Braun): Mercifully, this miniseries is over at last, and the best thing you can say about it is that it was the "Secret Wars" tie-in furthest removed from the central concept. Outside-the-box thinking is to be appreciated, and like "X-Men '92," the series seemed to know what it wanted to do, but it still should be, you know ... fun.

Since issue #2 ended, each subsequent issue has been less enjoyable. This is by far the worst. Literally half of the issue is spent on a plot "twist" (this probably isn't even the word for it since it doesn't fucking matter) you couldn't possibly care about being explained at gun point to one main character you couldn't possibly care about by the other, whom you almost certainly can't stand.

Aside from being a venture off the beaten path, the only other good things that can be said about this tie-in are that the art was very pretty (it deserved a much better story) and it ended exactly the way it should have.

Would I recommend it, though? Not to anyone but diehard Garth Ennis fans.

Weirdworld #5 (by Jason Aaron and Mike Del Mundo): One magical adventure comes to a close as the promise of more to come unfolds. This tie-in ends the only way it really could have, taking us along for one final, truly epic clash of sword and sorcery on the way.

Like "X-Men '92," I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It's just plain fun, and it's fucking gorgeous to boot. If picking up "X-Men '92" is doing yourself a favor, then passing on "Weirdworld" is actively doing yourself a disservice.

Just read it.

The Infinity Gauntlet #5 (by Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver): At the close of my review for the previous issue, I commented: "If Weaver and Duggan deliver a finale as good as this issue, they will get my award for having crafted the best tie-in series to this event."

Achievement unlocked!

It's hard not to give that recognition to some of the other strong tie-ins I've read, such as "Renew Your Vows," "Age of Apocalypse" or "X-Men '92," but in this series, Duggan and Weaver maintained the quality of both the art and writing from start to finish while a) also selling me on a story featuring a cast with several new characters; and b) doing creative things with pre-existing concepts and characters.

"Weirdworld" accomplished the same -- and might actually be more fun, in all honesty -- as did "Thors," but I have to give the edge to "The Infinity Gauntlet" for doing it across five issues rather than four (beating out "Thors") and for giving more focus to characterization across the whole series (beating out "Weirdworld").

I expected grand things from this book from the time the creative team and premise were announced -- and it has delivered on everything. Give it a try.

Thors #4 (by Jason Aaron and Chris Sprouse): With this, Aaron's odd, intriguing and oddly intriguing love letter to police procedural drama comes to an end, as does yet another "Secret Wars" tie-in -- and despite the description I assigned it earlier in this lengthy sentence, I'd argue that this story is very much a love letter to Marvel's Thor and his mythos as well.

The affection we've seen from Aaron in his "Thor: God of Thunder" and the most recent "Thor" series abounds here. There is such obvious respect and appreciation for this corner of Marvel from this writer. It shines through, perhaps most of all, in the plot device that set this murder mystery in motion, and which ultimately compels most of the Thors to take up arms (i.e. hammers) against God Emperor Doom as this tale draws to its close.

It isn't blatantly spelled out that the plot device that triggered the murder spree at the center of this story is the same plot device which ultimately sets the rebellion aflame, leading to a number of fans experiencing confusion by how quickly the Thors seem persuaded to turn on Doom. That is most definitely what's going on here, though.

Aaron's respect for Thor (all of them) also shines in the final sequence of this story, as the Thors resign themselves to going down fighting and Ultimate Thor's hammer outlives the battle at hand to land in Asgard in the new Marvel 616 universe -- where it will no doubt soon be claimed by the once-more-worthy Thor Odinson.

If that final page doesn't make you smile, particularly after Thor the Unworthy made his exit from the story commenting "Maybe next time" after looking at an orphaned hammer, then I'm just not sure you're a Thor fan.

This is both a wonderful finish for fans, and a narratively satisfying ending for the story being told. Were this the last Thor story, it would be a worthy send off. One that has, by the way, been superbly conveyed by Sprouse from beginning to end.

Sprouse knows how to competently present everything from normal conversations to battles, especially those involving hammers, lightning, beards and lots of gravitas. His beautiful efforts never failed to do justice to this story.

This title is worth your time if you're a Thor fan, if you want to read a tie-in that makes excellent use of the Battleworld setting, if you want to read a tie-in that actually ties into the core "Secret Wars" miniseries, or if you just like a good comic.

Secret Wars #7 (by Jonathan Hickman, Esad Ribic and Ive Svorcina): ... Okay, this is becoming a bit of a mess. While Hickman did, indeed, bring the action hard and fast this issue as I'd expressed hope for in my review of issue #6, there's a lot of confusion at work here. For me at least.

As a segue into that, I first want to say that what I would describe as an undue amount of time is spent on the Barons ordered to defend Castle Doom. I suppose it's a good thing for them to get some attention and exploration here in the core miniseries rather than just the tie-ins, but with a rather large cast of heroes and villains from the Earth-616 and Earth-1610 life rafts already not getting sufficient panel time, this is kind of annoying, to be honest. I just wanted Baron Sinister to die already and shut the fuck up.

Speaking of that asshole, the dynamic at work between him and Captain Marvel is thoroughly odd and confusing. More so even than it was last issue when their partnership was first revealed.

Is she under some kind of mind control, with Sinister in turn then having her order him around to his own masochistic glee? Is she just taking advantage of his enjoyment of a powerful woman telling him what to do? Is this just a clone of her that he created after she was captured and brought before him in issue #5? I have no idea, and neither does anyone else, because the comic offers nothing to help clear it up. All I know for sure is that he gets way more panel time and dialogue here than she does even though she's right there.

Hickman didn't really clear it up when asked about it by ComicBookResources.com either.

Before moving away from the Barons, it also warrants asking just how Apocalypse and his son, Holocaust, are here. They both died in Fabian Nicieza's "Age of Apocalypse" tie-in, and this issue clearly takes place in the final moments of Battleworld's existence. The last pages of "Thors" #4, which features this very battle from "Secret Wars" #7, make that a certainty.

Since they obviously won't be skittering away to go die in "Age of Apocalypse" at this point, what gives?

When asked about it in the same CBR interview linked above, Marvel Senior Vice President of Publishing Tom Brevoort didn't really have a satisfactory answer. The best he could offer was acknowledging the confusion; attributing it to the large scale of the event, the numerous creators who participated, and the magnitude of all the moving parts involved; and leaving it to readers to decide for themselves precisely what the reason for it is within the story.

Which, to be clear, wouldn't be a problem if Brevoort knew what it is that we are to figure out. Mining a story to figure shit out is fun, like with arriving at the understanding of what allows for such a rapid revolt of the Thors. That brings with it satisfaction -- but the answer was there to be found. This conflicting placement of Apocalypse and Holocaust is just editorial failing to do its job all that well.

However, I'm going to try not to hold this particular point against "Secret Wars" too hard, because it does add to the epic scale of the battle, and because Apocalypse and his son have never looked as good as they do in this issue under Ribic and Svorcina. Just fucking gorgeous work from the two of them all throughout this issue.

I will also give kudos to Brevoort, by the way, for acknowledging the overall coordination failures of "Secret Wars" in the above-linked CBR interview. Marvel's editors have fallen far short of making this "the most coordinated event we've ever done," as Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso claimed back in January. I can't respect being in denial about failure, but I can respect an acknowledgement of failure, so good job there.

Ironically, the original "Age of Apocalypse" storyline was probably the most coordinated event Marvel has ever done. Brian Michael Bendis has even said that he and several others at Marvel look to it as "the standard for event storytelling."

Anyway, while still on the matter of coordination with the tie-ins, what's the deal with T'Challa needing to blow a hole in The Shield? Thanos already caused miles of it to fall in the previous issue, as was also seen in "Siege" #4. There was actually a fairly decent bit of coordination there up to this point, Thanos's holding cell having an actual door in "Secret Wars" #6 notwithstanding, so this is a head scratcher.

For that matter, why are these zombies here with T'Challa and Namor in the first place instead of with the rest of the horde seen at the end of "Siege"? It makes one wonder if Hickman came up with both the idea of Thanos persuading Ben Grimm to abandon The Shield as well as the idea of the Marvel Zombies being used as a distraction in the revolt against Doom -- but that perhaps Hickman didn't necessarily plan for the two ideas to be as directly linked as Kieron Gillen wrote them in "Siege."

Thanos's plan in that tie-in has him utilizing both Ben Grimm and the hordes that lay beyond The Shield as distractions, having somehow united the Marvel Zombies with the Annihilation Wave and Ultron's army, then allowing them all to stagger through the fallen wall toward Castle Doom. So far, the core miniseries only seems to be acknowledging Thanos's spurring of Ben into action.

Another coordination issue involving the siege of Castle Doom comes from "Old Man Logan" #5, where we learn that the title character is destined to lead the charge of Battleworld's rebelling denizens right to Doom's door -- even right to his face. Which is actually pretty cool since that seems to be the fulfillment of the prophecy Irene Adler left for Mystique earlier this year in the final pages of Charles Soule's "Wolverines" (issue #20), where she said everything was coming to an end and "... the world needs a Wolverine" if it's to survive.

We didn't see anything of that sort in "Secret Wars" #7 -- though, to be fair, it doesn't present us with anything that would explicitly deny it either. There's only attention given to Maximus, a.k.a. The Prophet, leading the people of Battleworld in the attack. Maybe with issue #7 as it was originally going to be presented having been divided into an issue #7 and an issue #8 due to its length, we'll see a panel of Old Man Logan fulfilling his role next month.

Or maybe not, and we'll just have to imagine he's down there in the mix somewhere.

Despite all these hiccups, it's really hard not to just enjoy the book and be excited, because this is enjoyable, exciting stuff. It's fun, and the biggest complaint I have is that I have to wait a few weeks to see what happens next. I guess if Hickman and company have me saying that, no matter how many complaints I have stacked up, they have succeeded with this comic.

One of the aspects of this story I'm most curious about right now is whether the Siege Courageous artifact that Dr. Strange left for Namor and T'Challa to find will be instrumental in the rebirth of the multiverse and its inhabitants. Per T'Challa's description to the Marvel Zombies this issue, the item apparently has a similar function to the Siege Perilous seen in classic Marvel stories -- transforming those who pass through and giving them a new life.

One has to wonder if the whole of Battleworld's inhabitants -- maybe even entire chunks of Battleworld itself -- will be ushered through this relic by story's end, perhaps explaining what looks to be a new continuity for Marvel and new histories for some of its longstanding characters under the "All-New, All-Different Marvel" initiative.

What I'm equally -- if not more -- curious about is if this storyline is meant to be an indictment of religion.

There may be basis in the plot of "Secret Wars" and the mythos of Thor for the Thors to quickly turn against Doom; likewise, Maximus's somewhat limited psychic abilities may explain why he was able to rather easily inspire a multitude of Battleworld's inhabitants to also raise arms against the God Emperor ... but given how Hickman doesn't take the time to explain these things, a straight reading of the story thus far sees God's worshippers -- enforcers and enforced alike -- turning on him at little more than the claim that Doom is not really Capital "G" God. Is that supposed to indicate they were ready to abandon this false deity at the first opportunity to believe he wasn't who he seemed to be?

More importantly, does it indicate that they were secretly calling bullshit on a God who allowed horrible -- no, straight-up heinous -- things to take place? Who even perpetrated them at times? A God whose existence was known beyond doubt and whose presence was felt even as suffering and exploitation were allowed to run rampant?

Were we in the real world to live in the same space with such a tyrant, or to suddenly share it with the Judaeo-Christian God, we very likely would strive to throw them down as well. The things that happen in the "Squadron Sinister" or "Siege" miniseries alone should be enough to convict such a being for dereliction of duty, to say nothing of the full scope of the atrocities taking place across Battleworld, or ours for that matter.

That's just my reading of what's going on here, of course. You may not read the same thought processes into it.

Anyway, in closing up my reviews for this installment, I have to reiterate that, despite the coordination problems, I simply can't wait for the next issue of "Secret Wars." I also have to stand by what I said back in July: "This book remains of impeccable quality, and is already easily the best event book Marvel has put out since the original 'Age of Apocalypse' storyline in 1995."

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm SO glad I dropped "Where Monsters Dwell" almost immediately. Additionally, your opinions on Thors, Infinity Gauntlet, X-Men '92, and Weirdworld are my exact thoughts put into far better words than I could've hoped to have done. Dear god. So good.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I appreciate that you appreciated these reviews. I put a good bit of thought and effort into them.

What was it you didn't care for about the ending to "Age of Apocalypse," by the way? Any of the stuff I highlighted?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Exactly that. The step too far to a Mutant happy ending, especially because UXM had a REAL Mutant happy ending. I just don't buy that stripping them of Mutant identity IS a real happy ending. (Also, weird that Apocalypse is still a living Baron in Secret Wars, same with Maestro, but you know…)

Which reminds me, I've gotta go add in my little parenthetical notes by the comics for last week, and make my list for this week.

But yeah, your write-ups really helped me solidify my thoughts in specific about things, since I don't think we diverged much at all in what we liked and disliked from Secret Wars.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
At least it has the excuse of the art taking a while. UXM#1 has Greg Land, for crying out loud.

Top Bottom