Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make a few changes

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Make no changes

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters

Starling

Pro Adventurer
One of the issues with language is that most of the words we have to express particularly potent anger are deliberately some vile insult or politically incorrect term. I mean, swearing consists largely of words that are considered some kind of societal taboo.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well in the OG, Barret shouting Shit!! is something that could be better done voiced. It's about the intonation. You could get the point across better in text form by writing Tch or Pff, like he's sneering or putting down something someone says, but saying "Shiit" with the right intonation, it gets the point across. In the game, it just looks like he's going around shouting it randomly in sentences.

Like this. Tifa stops Barret bothering the guy in the train, and he says
チッ!!あんた、ついてるぜ
Shit!! You're lucky.

I think that line would be better with just Tch. Since he's looking down his nose at the guy.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Idiot is just as offensive.

Well, it is and it isn't. Or rather, from a technical standpoint it means the same as retard, but nobody seems to get their panties in a bunch over it. Same with 'moron' :monster:

"That's such a 2015 way of looking at it!" -- future generations, assuming the western world doesn't entirely collapse and these become non-issues.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well, I mean in the Japanese, it's like

ああ...... オレはもうダメだ......
Ugh... I can't go on...
マリン、父ちゃんはもう一度お前に会いたかった......
Marlene, Daddy wanted to see you one more time...

エンギでもないこと言わないの!
Stop being so damn dramatic!
「もう少し! もう少しだから!」
Come on! It's just a little further!
たぶん……
Maybe...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
No way! Ridiculous. Keep the game as it is. Its like editing the bible. FF7 is my religion.

You might want to use a different example/analogy than the Bible because, like many religious texts, it has gone through many edits/revisions (more than any SE could do to FFVII) throughout history.

Also no one really expects that the English remake game script will be identical to the English OG script do they? Because even if they hypothetically didn't change anything from the original Japanese script there would be changes merely an the account of having a new/more accurate translation (as Pixel has been pointing out).

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I find the talk of changing the script a bit silly because this is not an HD version but rather, a new game. Even if they kept everything important from the OG, story-wise, things will be presented in a different way, surely...

So yes, I am pretty convinced that a new script is being made for this. News as in writing from scratch.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Yeah. We can't honestly expect them to pay even nine actors to voice the thousands of lines of dialogue. Its likely they'll cut down on the yakking and replace most things with the characters making (uncanny) facial expressions at each other.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Who says everything has to be voice acted? They could have regular gameplay be non-voiced with text. I wouldn't mind and you wouldn't get lip-lock with that dialog.

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I'm talking the nine PCs. There are novels worth of dialogue even from the main cast.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There's games with loads and loads more dialog (like any Bioware game from the last few years), all fully voice acted; scale isn't really an excuse to not do it.

Money might be though. But I don't know at this point whether the remake will be a full-budget AAA title or a more low-budget / low-key remake of sorts. If they try to remain true to the original, it'll probably be like the FFIII remake - vintage (but still better than the original) graphics and text balloons. Or like CC.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I was under the impression that this was a full-budget AAA title.

I mean, you just do not announce it with that kind of looks and then keep it as something that's more low-key, do you? I know we can expect anything from S-E but I'm willing to trust at least that they're giving this the attention it deserves.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Anything less than that company's full AAA-effort and attention would result in the most ironic way for this franchise to die.

I know very little about gaming nowadays tbh the most recent game I have touched came out five years ago.

Top Bottom