So where do we stand on the big remake mystery now?

What is going on with Zack?

• He's in an alternate timeline, and we'll follow his adventures there, similar to a Laguna approach.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • He's in an alternate timeline, and eventually he will find a way to cross over to the main one.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • He's dead and in the lifestream, shown by the constant pure white backgrounds.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • He's in the main timeline with Cloud and co!

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • He's in the main timeline but he's a ghost, that is why no one in the church reacts to him.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
We're in theory fever and everyone wants to get an edge in. Nomura says that the story won't change in CCR but We're all so up our own asses with speculation that nobody believes him lol.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not just that quote, but this statement from Famitsu too.

It's not just a statement of whether or not there will be changes to the story, but it speaks to their creative philosophy about changing the story in the first place.

There would be no meaning to this FFVII Remake project to them, if they changed everything and didn't stay true to the original. That's clarity.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
We're in theory fever and everyone wants to get an edge in. Nomura says that the story won't change in CCR but We're all so up our own asses with speculation that nobody believes him lol.
I’m of the opinion that from this point forward every question, even about the most minor details, should just be answered with “we’re working really hard so please look forward to more information soon”

waw

Pro Adventurer
I bet it will end up being something like one of those Booster Gold storylines where Ted Kord (the second Blue Beetle) has to return to his original moment in time to die.
This and the Zack-Is-A-Whisper (possibly the last one) are probably the likeliest ideas I've heard that have the least impact on the timeline and lore of the game. This recent interview seems to meant that the OG plotline (and therefore "Fated Destiny") isn't changing much. (Which makes me wonder why we even did all that in Remake if nothing is going to change, but that's separate here). Zack crossing over from a universe, having a big epic adventure, etc? All that seems to threaten the progression of the original game.

But there are elements here that the OG is stated as both being followed with events/progression changing. I would say the events of OG Midgar section were followed with some odd differences thrown in. I feel like we're confirmed that the changes here are going to be very, very small. (Which makes me wonder in part: Why then?)
Big time. I'm on a Discord server where these guys are going nuts saying things like "More LIES from Nomura!" and the like. It's amazing.
I kinda think Nomura is just being straight with us to manage expectations? Like, I don't think he's pulling a fast one. Then again, I was under the impression that Remake was going to be a remake, with just a clever pun on the name or something. It got a lot deeper, didn't it? So while this response is silly, I get it.
If Zack were to live at the end of CCR, then it wouldn't be a prequel to Remake.
I guess that'd make it a prequel to Rebirth, eh? I don't know. All the titles are interconnected. Frankly, I'll be surprised if there isn't a secret ending or something that doesn't change anything, even with what's said here. No different missions, no different Whisper stuff, but honestly they're doing a lot of work to not connect deeper to Remake and Rebirth. So I'll be a little surprised.

I think this whole interview should lead us all to manage expectations. That's about it. I feel there's small things confirmed (We'll see more of Deepground Characters, possibly Genesis, in Remake and the third part). There were thoughts of this being a duology. Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus don't seem to be very "important," pretty much the usual line around these parts.

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
The irony to me is that all the actual news here is about CCR, but now that people know it won't be modified to link up with the Remake trilogy, they mostly don't give a shit, so instead they're combing the bits about Rebirith, which all use the exact same vague language we've been arguing over since the Remake Ultimania interviews. So to sum it up, we've made absolutely no progress in the last two days. I for one might actually be a bit dumber now.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I wouldn't say it's the same language or even the same statements. And if anything, they've been consistent. Consistency means something.

Apparently unless Nomura and Kitase give a notorized affidavit, people won't be satisfied. :monster:

Reactions: LNK

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
After the dev comments, I'm thinking their ideal is the OG narrative but with fresh ideas that can be used -without- contradicting or harming that original narrative. So Yuffie being in Midgar, seeing the Avalanche crew but not engaging with them. The extra mission with Jessie, the whole Leslie and Corneo stuff, etc. In Zack's case, maybe we really will just follow him doing whatever until the North Crater stuff, like we follow Laguna and his own party. They can do all sorts of things with him as long as they don't mess with the arcs and core story of the main party.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
After the dev comments, I'm thinking their ideal is the OG narrative but with fresh ideas that can be used -without- contradicting or harming that original narrative. So Yuffie being in Midgar, seeing the Avalanche crew but not engaging with them. The extra mission with Jessie, the whole Leslie and Corneo stuff, etc. In Zack's case, maybe we really will just follow him doing whatever until the North Crater stuff, like we follow Laguna and his own party. They can do all sorts of things with him as long as they don't mess with the arcs and core story of the main party.

This is what I've thought from the beginning. I was open to other possibilities though.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Whoa there.
Don't get me wrong, Mako! I love DoC and BC. They're actually my favorite entries. I straight up love the DoC character designs and plot elements. Unfortunately, the emphasis here is on Sephiroth, Cloud, and Zack. Omega, Hojo, Vinny the Claw, Felicia, and all the others? Definitely secondary or tertiary in any sort of grand scheme of the what they're doing. Part of me is, honestly, really disappointed with this feeling. I personally do hope for a capstone, an ending, to the entire Compilation. Easter eggs like the Project Genesis characters are great! I loved it, but it isn't the same to me.

Apparently unless Nomura and Kitase give a notorized affidavit, people won't be satisfied.
But this is the Dev's fault IMO. They told us we'd be gettin ga remake and then we have massive story changes. We're told nothing will be different but Zack is really important. It's not that I'm going to say they're lying to folks, I don't take it that way at all, but their meaning is just totally unclear yet.

In Zack's case, maybe we really will just follow him doing whatever until the North Crater stuff, like we follow Laguna and his own party. They can do all sorts of things with him as long as they don't mess with the arcs and core story of the main party.
I think Roundhouse has it here. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've said it many times, the only thing the OG needed for me to feel it was perfect was a "Maiden Who Travels the Planet" sort of DLC, similar to the FFII Advance bonus dungeon for the dead characters. Aerith, Zack, Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, and Dyne teaming up in a sort of Jade Passage and throwing down with Sephiroth/Meteor/Jenova in the Lifestream. Cameos by the dead president and others, thank you very much. In a weird way, that dream seems to be coming true ever so slightly.

EDIT Aerith, Zack, Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Dyne and Seto. Whoops!

Last edited:

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
The irony to me is that all the actual news here is about CCR, but now that people know it won't be modified to link up with the Remake trilogy, they mostly don't give a shit, so instead they're combing the bits about Rebirith, which all use the exact same vague language we've been arguing over since the Remake Ultimania interviews. So to sum it up, we've made absolutely no progress in the last two days. I for one might actually be a bit dumber now.

"Nomura stop being vague! Tell me right now does Aerith live or die!?"

Nomura: "Look forward to it"

"GODAMNIT NOMURA!!"

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I guess some of you have already read this interview from JeuxVideo.com, but there are interesting bits.

First they insist there is no change at all in CC Reunion. Same missions, same dialogues, just a better gameplay experience.

Now onto the interesting bits:

Do you recommend Crisis Core to those who only have played Final Fantasy VII Remake and not the original game on PS1? Do you think they can enjoy the story as well as those who finished the original game because these know the ins and outs of Cloud and Zack's relationship?

Yoshinori Kitase, Executive Producer :

I understand perfectly what you mean because the complete story hasn't been revealed and CC broaches some events that have not been shown yet in Remake's main story. But in truth, I think that it adds to the enjoyment, because those who don't know the original story can project themselves in the future and ask themselves questions, have this feeling of expectation, wondering how it's going to be dealt in Remake, what is the true bond between those characters and how the story is going to be affected by the changes in Rebirth which release is planned for winter 2023, etc. I think that all of this is part of the experience and that it doesn't affect too much the gaming enjoyment.​
Furthermore, CC is an autonomous story that tells the relationship of Zack and his fights with Angeal, Genesis and Sephiroth*. The title has its own story, so you don't need to know how it's linked to FFVII to appreciate this part. Furthermore, it is evident that the relation between CC and the story of FFVII, to know what comes into play and how it's going to hange the relation with the Remake series is going to interest people, so I think it's something that players can wait for with impatience and specualte, and they're going to have fun with it.​

* yes this part is super weird in French too, I think the translator had a blep lol.

Kitase is truly a sadist is what I take from this; he WANTS fans to speculate etc. And they released CC because they KNOW (the bastards) that it's going to amp up the expectations of Remake. Earlier in the interview they go into detail about when the thought about it (in the middle of the development for Remake) and why they chose that release date (it seemed perfect to fit as a waiting time between part 1 and 2). They WANT people to speculate about Zack's fate, 100%, 1000%. And to them, it's a great way to make sure that fans are *engaged* about the Remake series.

Now, another juicy quote:
To end this, let's mention the other game announced during the livestream about the future of FFVII: FFVII Rebirth. Since we can see him in the trailer, can we expect Zack to play an important role in the second part of the Remake?

Yoshinori Kitase, Executive Producer :

He plays an important role in the story, but we can't give details about this for now. I think that people who played the first part of Remake have seen that Zack and Cloud's relationship is slightly modified and different, and they now want to see how the story unfolds after this. So we have understood that the players wonder what is Zack's involvement, how he's been involved and the change of the story's timeline and if that's going to be a major point in Rebirth.​
The players really want to know all of this, this is why we have put Zack in the trailer as a small teaser, just to give you a little glimpse of what it could be. But of course in terms of concrete details, what has happened and how he's involved, how things have changed, you will have to wait to play the game when it'll be released to know what truly happens!​

Now I truly don't know but I still think something very mystic happened at the end of Remake and we're not done with it; however I still predict that the game will lead us where the OG ended. Even in a timeline change, we know for example that Zack cannot interact with Cloud before at least the Lifestream scene happens, or that kills the big moment of the OG story. So, we'll see.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Even in a timeline change, we know for example that Zack cannot interact with Cloud before at least the Lifestream scene happens, or that kills the big moment of the OG story. So, we'll see.
They could interact, it’s just a matter of what that interaction entails, it would definitely be trippy as hell for Cloud that’s for sure

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Tbh, I'm hoping we'd get the lifestream scene sooner so we (and the characters) could spend more time with Real Cloud and not just Soldier Cloud.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Even without changing the nature of Cloud’s memory of Zack, just having him alive in itself would make me surprised (and kind of underwhelmed tbh) if they didn’t meet, and I doubt they’d wait as long as after the Lifestream to make that happen. Granted, any interaction Cloud and Zack would have before then would probably be some kind of conflict, and I’m here for it. I think it would be cool to actually see them go head-to-head.

Also, I think Remake did a pretty good job injecting just the right amount of Cloud’s actual personality, not too much that it’s a spoiler but just enough to give him some depth. Stretching Midgar to the length of a full game meant giving the characters a bit more development than their OG counterpoints at that point of the story, and similarly I think we’ll get a pretty decent amount of time with Cloud’s real self.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I keep thinking of a Bucky-Steve situation where Cloud goes into Puppet Mode and fights Zack, while Zack really doesn't want to hurt his friend.

I have trouble really predicting what they are going to do though. Seems like they are trying to walk a tightrope of being faithful to the core story and also adding new things, and bringing Zack back has to be handled REALLY thoughtfully and skilfully with this aim in mind. I wonder what they have waiting for us...

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I keep thinking of a Bucky-Steve situation where Cloud goes into Puppet Mode and fights Zack, while Zack really doesn't want to hurt his friend.
Pretty much the scenario I had in mind, that or Cloud thinks Zack is an illusion by Sephiroth and lashes out or something

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Do you guys remember my "Zack's in an alternate timeline but inside the Lifestream" I had? Well, it's more or less this, and honestly still quite close from what I think it is most likely:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
People have noticed that Seph isn't wearing the special wing belt in the redone Crisis Core....more proof that the belt is his time traveller device in the remake!

Reactions: Wol
Top Bottom