• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sonic the Hedgehog

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Any love for the blue hedgehog here? Growing up I always had a Sega, never a Nintendo, so I've got long history with him. I own all his games on the Genesis and have played most of them in some fashion. This topic is more about the series (and its cloudy future) more than any particular title, though gushing is acceptable.

For example, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the series peak and among my favorite platformers, if not games in general, ever.
Sonic games were never difficult, but every level has so many paths and alternate routes that you could spend a good deal of time on each level exploring all of them. And S3&K had not seven emeralds to find but fourteen. Rewarding you with the badass Doomsday Zone.
The music is, in short, awesome. Mario's theme may be the iconic chiptune notes of the video game realm. But the memorable tracks from Mario pale in comparison to the sheer amount of great songs in Sonic games. Nearly EVERY level of every Sonic game on the Genesis has very catchy music, though Green Hill Zone is the only one that gets any mass attention.

Lastly, the part that I mostly want everyone's opinion on, is the future. What do you think? I often hear 'Sonic is dead' but that doesn't really compute because he's still an incredibly recognizable character and his fanboys alone keep the sales of even his shittiest games decent. In short, Sega has pretty much unlimited chances to get it right and they keep screwing it up, why? To this people say that those very fanboys buyign the crappy games don't give any motivation for Sega to get it right. But there's no way, the fanboys make the sales decent, but not the smash hits they used to be. Also, Sonic is Sega's mascot. They can't like that the wider game community merely ridicules him now. They still have every motivation to get it right.

One is that they are OBSESSED with new gameplay mechanics. They seem convinced that Sonc's fall from grace has to do with people becoming bored of speeding through imaginative, multi-path levels when quite the opposite is true: people long for it. Sonic Unleashed (the latest game, which I did not buy, but have played) is the perfect example. Why does Sonic need inane combat? Even if it were intuitive combat, it still wouldn't fit.

Another thing I hear often that I also don't agree with is that the very of nature of Sonic prevents a good 3D Sonic game from being made. That's stupid as I (and many other people) enjoyed the Sonic Adventure games. Everything about that that was good is absent from more recent entries, why?
Also, I again come back to Sonic Unleashed. Have any of you played it? The speed levels are AWESOME. They are EXACTLY what a 3D Sonic game should be. Fast and totally satisfying. If they ditched that Werehog shit and just made a game of that, one level to the next, just like the old ones, I think it would be hugely successful. (Although it would require quite the marketing campaign to say "Hey! Sonic doesn't suck anymore!")

Do you think Sega will ever get the hint?

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I fucking love sonic.

Which why I sish they'd stop killing him. Sonic Unleashed is the only decent sonic game in a very long time.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I LOVE Sonic, both the old game, and the old show. The new games and shows are just retarded. I hate Shadow, and Silver, and all those other new characters. D<

Amy is also fucking annoying. What about Sally?! D=

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't mind Shadow for one reason: he plays identically to Sonic. In the old ones, there were very minimal differences between playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. In that sense, making Shadow a playable character is perfectly fine by me because you're still playing Sonic, basically. And, I must admit, the way he skates on the rockets IS kinda cool.

I wholeheartedly agree about the stupid stories though.

And what about Sally indeed. I just downloaded that show which is what made me create this topic. If they insist on shoving all these damn characters on us, why not use those? At least people liked them.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wish they'd stop making shitty games and adding stuff that just isn't necessary. It's unbelieveable. It just doesn't get to their heads that people just want the old-school Sonic gameplay by now.

Sonic as a slow Wolfhog? Sonic with a sword? What's with this faggotry, be gone with it, I say. :monster:

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Much love for the blue guy here! I played the shit out of Sonic the Hedgehog up until 3D Blast, and I even recall Spinball rather fondly. I think I enjoyed Sonic 3 and SnK the most because as you mentioned, there was a lot more replayability involved, such as going through Sonic 2 as Knuckles, and the expanded 2-player options.

And ditto for the music--I still listen to original tracks and remakes! Marble Zone, Metropolis Zone, and Hydrocity Zone are some of my faves.

I had an SNES as well during that time, but I'm sure I invested as much time in Sonic as I did in Mario games and Link to the Past. But unlike Mario and Zelda, some very popular titles had a difficult time moving from 2D to 3D, and Sonic was definitely one of them. I can't fathom either why the franchise didn't see as much popular success, but truthfully, I didn't enjoy 3D Blast as much as the games up until then. I think on that cusp between 16-bit and 32/64-bit era is when my interest in Sonic started to wane. I tried Sonic again sometime later with Sonic Heroes, but again I was disappointed. I haven't played Unleashed, but I think I agree with you when you say that Sonic simply does not translate well to 3D. The very characteristic that defines him--speed--has been difficult for Sega to marry with decent control.

Needless to say, I'd love love love to see Sonic reemerge as an iconic protagonist, however, as a star in a game that is simply a "must have".

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best Sonic game ever, imo.

Oh, the good old Mega Drive age...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I can't fathom either why the franchise didn't see as much popular success, but truthfully, I didn't enjoy 3D Blast as much as the games up until then. I think on that cusp between 16-bit and 32/64-bit era is when my interest in Sonic started to wane. I tried Sonic again sometime later with Sonic Heroes, but again I was disappointed. I haven't played Unleashed, but I think I agree with you when you say that Sonic simply does not translate well to 3D.

You kind of got what I said a little backwards. I think Sonic can and has translated well to 3D, Sega just can't seem to do it consistently. I spent just as much time with Sonic Adventure as I did with Mario 64, it translated fine to 3D then. They're just obsessed with new gameplay mechanics which are a waste of time. (Although the next-gen Sonic was just plain broken)

And you really can't count Sonic 3D Blast because it wasn't 3D. It was just isometric and that kinda looked 3D.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
You kind of got what I said a little backwards. I think Sonic can and has translated well to 3D, Sega just can't seem to do it consistently. I spent just as much time with Sonic Adventure as I did with Mario 64, it translated fine to 3D then. They're just obsessed with new gameplay mechanics which are a waste of time. (Although the next-gen Sonic was just plain broken)

Ah, my bad then. I think we agree on the consistently part, though.

And you really can't count Sonic 3D Blast because it wasn't 3D. It was just isometric and that kinda looked 3D.

True, but it certainly wasn't the side-scrolling awesomeness that I had come to love.

Username

Banned
I haven't played any of the new sonic games, i just have the dusty sega Gen games, but imo they will always be the best. They should just make the new games like the old but a lot longer and more challenging.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best Sonic game ever, imo.

Agreed. Absolutely 100% behind this. Everything about that game was fucking perfect.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I don't mind Shadow for one reason: he plays identically to Sonic. In the old ones, there were very minimal differences between playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. In that sense, making Shadow a playable character is perfectly fine by me because you're still playing Sonic, basically. And, I must admit, the way he skates on the rockets IS kinda cool.

I wholeheartedly agree about the stupid stories though.

And what about Sally indeed. I just downloaded that show which is what made me create this topic. If they insist on shoving all these damn characters on us, why not use those? At least people liked them.

Thank you! I totally agree, all of my other friends that are Sonic fans are actually into this new crap. >=/ They think Shadow is "way better", but I agree it's basically a "bamf" looking version of Sonic. His only purpose is to look cool, but I think he looks like a fuzzy piece of crap.

Sally and Sonic were like, the best pairing ever. ;) Sally was an interesting character that had BRAINS, Amy is just obnoxious and is one of the many things that gives the color pink a bad name. I do love her giant mallet though- it's cute. When you hit things, little hearts pop out... I'm not sure if that sickens me or not, lol.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Sonic as a slow Wolfhog? Sonic with a sword? What's with this faggotry, be gone with it, I say. :monster:

THIS.

I miss that old Sonic in the Sega where we just have to run and not wield some faggot sword, be a furry wolf and save a whiny princess who looks like some shit out of an animu series or RPG.

Shadow to me is quite possibly the only good newb to come out of the story, the rest of the n00bs can just die in an epic reboot.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
No. Shadow is a shitty recolour with a generic 'tragic past', Sega needs to l2keep it simple.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
But I like his colour though. Him and Knuckles remain my consistent faves. : (
I hear they're going with an RPG shit now in the DS. fffffuck.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Also, I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2, and there were a shitload of tutorial levels for like, every single action. The first tutorial level literally told you just how to jump. "Press Blah to jump" so you had to jump over like, 3 stairs or something and the level was over. The loading time for those sort of tutorials was longer than the levels themselves.

For fucks sake, I didn't need a shitty tutorial level back in the 16-bit times JUST TO TELL ME HOW TO JUMP.
Back then it was like, you put the game in and then you play. Simple and easy. But fun.

The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

I LOVE Sonic, both the old game, and the old show. The new games and shows are just retarded. I hate Shadow, and Silver, and all those other new characters. D<

Amy is also fucking annoying. What about Sally?! D=

Sonic and Shadow are epic. But Tails is better. And the shows ARE gay.

Amy is annoying.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
The only thing epic about Shadow is his epic lame.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Also, I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2, and there were a shitload of tutorial levels for like, every single action. The first tutorial level literally told you just how to jump. "Press Blah to jump" so you had to jump over like, 3 stairs or something and the level was over. The loading time for those sort of tutorials was longer than the levels themselves.

For fucks sake, I didn't need a shitty tutorial level back in the 16-bit times JUST TO TELL ME HOW TO JUMP.
Back then it was like, you put the game in and then you play. Simple and easy. But fun.

The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

only thing annoying about Unleashed is that newbie, christ what a fag.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

That would be fun and all, but still want a good 3D one. Give me a game of all Sonic Unleashed speed levels, because they were really really good.

firehahahahahaha

fire master

Why would you get the PS2 version? it's terrible.

And has anyone gotten "Sonic's Ultimate Genisis Collection"?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well, my brother bought it and brought it over. :monster:

Tbh, Unleashed would be good if they just took out the FUCKING WOLFHOG.

And yes, I'm not calling it werehog because that would essentially translate to "man-hog" (as in, a man that transforms into a hedgehog. Yeah, right). [/smartass] :geek:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sonic is dead.

I think the only good 3D games Sonic has ever had was Sonic Adventure, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and for pity's sake, I'll include Sonic Unleashed.

And that's ranked from best to worst. To quote Resident Evil, "Sonic is now a mere shadow of his former self."

Top Bottom