• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sonic the Hedgehog

thelastmagus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cecil
not a huge fan of the wii's controls, sadly - and i never had a gamecube controller or a wii normal games controller (whatever they were called - the non-motion remote ones) so i only played dribs and drabs of i think was sonic and black knight.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I used to like Colors more, but I feel kinda eh about it these days. I think it has more to do with it taking the series down a road I didn't care for afterwards, with Lost World and Forces. I also wish it had more 3D sections.

I... uh... did a 100% playthrough of Shadow a few years ago, meaning getting all A's (not doing the hundreds of possible story paths though lol.) Don't ask why.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Blaming Colors for Lost World and Forces is an odd concept. Seemed like vintage Sega stupidity and overdesigning to me. After 8-10 years of floundering, there was a clear progression of improvement from Unleashed's speed levels to Colors to Generations where they seemed to have finally got a handle of everything and it would be smooth sailing from there. And then they decided, once again for no reason, that they had to change it up and destroyed all the momentum. :sigh:
coche-fail.gif

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Blaming Colors for Sega's choice to make Lost World and Forces is like blaming your gifted and talented child for your choice to start manufacturing and selling methamphetamine because you heard it'd be a quick way to make side hussle money.

These choices aren't connected and you're blaming the actual good in your life for the bad choices you made for seemingly no reason :monster:

What really fucked Sonic Team was the creative brain drain that happened to Sega after Generations. One day, look at the credits of Sonic Team between Generations, Lost World and then Forces. All of those creative staffers for game design and level development left for Nintendo. They simply left Sega and a bunch of neophytes with no experience or talent remained. They went and made games like Mario Odyssey.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
What really fucked Sonic Team was the creative brain drain that happened to Sega after Generations. One day, look at the credits of Sonic Team between Generations, Lost World and then Forces. All of those creative staffers for game design and level development left for Nintendo. They simply left Sega and a bunch of neophytes with no experience or talent remained. They went and made games like Mario Odyssey.

Fuck, are you serious? :'(
It was baffling to me how they never even made DLC levels for Generations, which seemed like such an easy money idea to me.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think one the last serious problems Sonic has to worry about, is it's writing. :monster: They can't even find a game formula that works.

I mean, Sonic leaning into it's cartoon humor usually works for the best. If anything, the types of stories like 2006 really just feel off. More than usual.

I still can't believe Infinite even existed.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Sonic Adventure is the most natural progression off of the classics as far as writing goes, I'd say. Lame dad jokes just make me roll my eyes, even Sonic's ACTUAL Saturday morning cartoon wasn't really like that.

I'll add, it doesn't bother me in colors, that was a refreshing change of pace after shit like Shadow or 06, I just think it got a lot worse after that. Generations was the worst game to not have writers familiar with the franchise for, and Lost World had a story so bare bones it hurt. At least Eggman was good in a few scenes. Forces is just... Forces.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's stories were pretty well done. That "balance" is what most Sonic games should strive for. Heroes is meh.

2006 was an abomination.

I really enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. Gameplay, story, everything. That one shines as one of the best modern iterations of Sonic, aside from Generations.

Sonic Colors worked well and was funny. I mostly enjoyed that game because it was fun and played really well. The story was thin but I'm not really playing Sonic for it's weighty storytelling, tbh. It really reminded me of a cartoon. Sonic Lost World was hilarious but I couldn't stand playing it.

And I don't even know what Forces was. I enjoyed making my furry OC for 10 minutes and then the novelty wore out pretty fast. :monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I guess this is the ever-present SONIC GENERATIONAL GAP that always keeps these sorts of debates going.

The sonic games I played the most as a kid were SA1, SA2, and Sonic 3&K, which all of pretty big dramatic stories (to a 6 year old.) Sonic for me was always about big dumb anime stories where th world is going to explode because a crazy scientist's grand daughter was killed in a military cover-up, or an ancient water god wants revenge for chao abuse, or Eggman mechanizing an island and tricking it's sole inhabitant into trying to kill sonic so he can build his giant space laser, or stuff like that. Unleashed was the last story to hit those sorts of vibes for me (though I think Black Knight's writing is pretty underrated, that's the most "Sonic" Sonic has ever been imo. Too bad the game is meh.)

I was used to these stories having stakes and drama lol. I think Shadow and 06 ruined it for the fans though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well Sonic was definitely all about big dramatic stories, but they also didn't miss the mark of what Sonic fundamentally is. Drama isn't inherently wrong, but it has to be balanced with Sonic's trademark levity and humor. Sonic 2006 was fucking awful in that regard and frankly felt so completely up its own ass. Sonic Forces was tonally dissonant and while it wasn't as bad as 06, there was just... Something wrong. Episode Shadow was amusing though, lol.

I even can forgive Shadow the Hedgehog somewhat because it's a game about Shadow so of course it'd be "dark." However the gameplay and levels were ass. And that only made the edgelord memery all the more awkward.

I definitely thought Generations story was pretty cool for an anniversary game, and that was fun. But yeah, after that we were in the Boom era, and nothing was serious or with stakes there. Cartoon was hilarious though. :monster:

It's no exaggeration to say Sonic Mania was the last great, and I mean great Sonic game on all fronts. They knew exactly what the perfect formula was for drama, action, humor and gameplay was and it just. It really blows my mind still how fucking amazing that game was to play.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Oh Mania is obviously fantastic, but both retro and no credit to Sega/Sonic Team (apart from just letting a fan modder make a game for them, which isn't nothing).

And yeah, Generations is great. One of my four platinum trophies, haha. I couldn't believe they never built on that. And, yes, it was a nice break from the cast of characters that everyone was well and truly sick of by then.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
When I think about it more, I can sorta understand having an underlying grudge towards Colors though.

Sonic Team has this weird flaw in understanding what they did right, and then repeating it ad nauseum.

Why the fuck are Wisps in almost every game since Colors?

Why have we fought Eggman's Nega Wisp Armor as a final boss twice since Colors?

It's like they struck gold with Colors and then they stripped that mine clean. :monster:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I've always loved that cutscene early in Colors when Sonic overshoots where Tails/the camera is and then moonwalks back into frame. :lol: I don't know why, but it just made me chuckle. Emblematic of what I like about the atmosphere of that game.

Yeah, that was cute. What I found adorable was how Tails was trying to translate what Yacker said, and the wisps were absolutely cute! Yacker was my favorite. How could anyone not find his little curl beyond adorable? In grand total, I liked the gameplay and the story of Colours. The only issue for me really was the voice change for Sonic and Tails.

I mean, Roger Craig Smith wasn't too bad, but I prefer Jason Griffith...well, virtually, I prefer all of the Sonic X cast even if Mike Pollock will remain as Eggman for the foreseeable future. Tails' voice in Colours and Generation...made him sound too much like a teenage girl, sorry. Everbody else afterwards up until now, though it was later reported that Tails' current voice actor is only unavailable for Sonic Prime for some reason...not so much to my likings.

Sonic Adventure is the most natural progression off of the classics as far as writing goes, I'd say. Lame dad jokes just make me roll my eyes, even Sonic's ACTUAL Saturday morning cartoon wasn't really like that.

I'll add, it doesn't bother me in colors, that was a refreshing change of pace after shit like Shadow or 06, I just think it got a lot worse after that. Generations was the worst game to not have writers familiar with the franchise for, and Lost World had a story so bare bones it hurt. At least Eggman was good in a few scenes. Forces is just... Forces.

I prefered the first Sonic Adventure, storywise and gameplay wise. The graphics though made Sonic look a bit creepy. Shadow wasn't too bad and I prefered the Pure Hero route. 06...the only thing good about that game was the music. The first time I ever saw Sonic on TV was Sonic Underground and I vaguely remember the ending of one of the episodes, but that's pretty much it. My biggest memory of Sonic on TV was really Sonic X and I personally prefer that to the other media(other than the games, of course).

Generations wasn't too bad, considering. The worst for me were both Lost World and Forces.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's stories were pretty well done. That "balance" is what most Sonic games should strive for. Heroes is meh.

2006 was an abomination.

I really enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. Gameplay, story, everything. That one shines as one of the best modern iterations of Sonic, aside from Generations.

Sonic Colors worked well and was funny. I mostly enjoyed that game because it was fun and played really well. The story was thin but I'm not really playing Sonic for it's weighty storytelling, tbh. It really reminded me of a cartoon. Sonic Lost World was hilarious but I couldn't stand playing it.

And I don't even know what Forces was. I enjoyed making my furry OC for 10 minutes and then the novelty wore out pretty fast. :monster:

Sonic Unleashed was great in story, though the Werehog was just, well...meh, I suppose. I like Heroes. That was pretty funny.

Yeah, Lost World reminded me too much of Super Mario Galaxy for some reason. I mean, Colours did too, but Lost World was just...well, sorry, but no. Forces was a "forced" game, I think. The music was great, and so were the designs, but that's pretty much it.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I don't think they will make any games at all for this year or even next year(maybe there will be, but that's unlikely as it is pretty much obvious that there won't be any more Sonic games, or at least there won't be any for this year either). I think the report about the 'new mainline game' back in 2019 was either a lie as was the 'multiple games reveal since last year', or it was redeveloped to be for the upcoming Sonic Prime TV series and this year will just be about revealing more about said series along with the Sonic 2 movie, merchandise like toys and Lego, a special event for the ongoing IDW comics and a music concert also planned but Sega don't have any games at all.

I could be wrong, but I personally feel like the multiple games coming out announcements were just attempting to get people's hopes up and focus more on the merchandise and the other media and are not true at all.

Edit: It's half(or fully) confirmed that there won't be any new Sonic games for this year as the 30th Anniversary celebration will mainly focus on next year's animated TV series.

No Sonic Games for 2021-Sonic Prime TV Series the main focus

Not sure if the link works, but yeah, this is from Youtube.

Last edited:
Top Bottom