Sonon Kusakabe background

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@X-SOLDIER
I also thought at first that Nellie's tag said "A.S.O." with the A using the font for the Avalanche logo. Then I realized it's actually a K. :monster:

View attachment 9306

K.S.O

Gotta hard disagree with ya on that one.

If it's a K then, there's no reason to have any font stylization or differentiation between the K, S, & O. It'd match the same lettering as the S & O even if it were red – but it doesn't do that. The left stroke on a K is perfectly vertical, and you can actually see that the character there is not vertically aligned to the other vertical elements on her patch either, even though the S & O are. You'd have to have a red, italicized K to get close to what is shown... but even then, it doesn't address the inconsistency around the fact that a K in the same font style would use hard angled edges that match the horizontal bounds of the patch, like the ends of the S for the does – but the first character tapers off into points at all of the ends of its lettering.

AvsK.png

Just to occam's razor it, if she's established as operating in an official capacity with an Avalanche cell, and they have a stylized "A" that they use that also fits that visual profile, it would give reason to have something like that have a font style departure that's meant to look like an official insignia.

That being said, if you've got reason to believe that there's a new, red, italic, uniquely-font-stylized "K" that's getting implemented here for this person, I'm super interested in why. :awesomonster:

X:neo:

You're probably right, X-SOLDIER. It would explain why the 45-degree upwards stroke is so weak compared to the other strokes. My eyes insist that it's a K but the weak upwards stroke is too unexplained otherwise.

I was so happy to have concluded that probably-Nellie does NOT advertise her affiliation on her name tag, using a font specifically associated with Avalanche. It seems ill-advised at best, unless she hopes that people like me read it as a K instead of an A.

kso_large.png

49811645401_f818a8a1ba_b.jpg

Gotta say, didn't expect I was going to develop this deep hatred against the stylized As in Avalanche. Now it even looks like an I and an X put together. I am positively fuming. Need to calm my nerves by looking at some Courier New. AAAAAAAAAH THAT'S THE STUFF

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think it probably is the "A," but I also don't see any good reason for her to be referencing her role in Avalanche on the shirt she wears to her day job as an Applebee's hostess.

I was so happy to have concluded that probably-Nellie does NOT advertise her affiliation on her name tag, using a font specifically associated with Avalanche. It seems ill-advised at best, unless she hopes that people like me read it as a K instead of an A.

To be fair, Avalanche is a bit more fully established as an organization in Remake as compared to the original game, which is something we've known ever since we got the super HD renders of the characters and could read the text on Barret's dog tags. Also, as a quartermaster her main role is as a "master of quarters" being lodging and troop accommodations and not really involved in anything where she'd typically be interacting with non-Avalanche members while in uniform.

More specifically in the US sense, since Japan has more exposure to the American military, the Quartermaster Corps function in peace and wartime and take care of all sorts of basic sustainability supplies and efforts to ensure that the army is well-maintained in case they need to mobilize. They mainly manage things like food, fuel, material maintenance, etc. and aren't involved with weapons, medical supplies, or other things like that (although she'd have been who they got the parachutes from). Essentially Nellie, Al, & Finn all have very supplemental roles and enabling roles to Avalanche that don't deviate all that far outside of what people would do in normal jobs around the Slums – all of which are also designed to keep them out of the way of being seen by anyone else. It's WAY far off from what Barret, Jessie, Biggs, Wedge, Tifa, & Cloud have been getting up to.

Being a supervisor over a barracks' supplies & provisions, matches what it looks like when we see the scene of everybody meeting up. Having some sort of official attire means that even if there are troops from other cells passing into their location (like Yuffie & Sonon), she's clearly called out as the authority over what takes place there, so it makes functional sense for her role in costume design.

And when it comes to subtlety, I think that a little patch like that still pales in comparison to Barret's "I have a literal machine gun for an arm" as a visual identifier. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
... not really involved in anything where she'd typically be interacting with non-Avalanche members while in uniform.
That's not even the point, though. Like you said, she's unlikely to be interacting with anyone outside Avalanche while wearing that, and they will either a) already know her or b) have been either introduced to her or briefed on who she is if coming from elsewhere.

No one who could benefit from the info actually needs it presented in that manner, so it's super silly.

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
New Sonon info & art:

Extra info:
ソノン・クサカベ
Sonon Kusakabe
Voice Cast:細谷佳正

ウータイ出身の戦士。ユフィの父親であるゴドーに師事し、拳法や棒術を学ぶ。若くして参加した戦争を経て、神羅に対して憎しみを募らせる。現在は年下の先輩であるユフィとコンビを組み、潜入任務にあたる。真面目な性格で、暴走しがちな先輩を優しくフォローする。

Source: https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1309323.html

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I thought he was a Wutai operative operating in Midgar? Supposedly Avalanche were working with Wutai, though we thought that was just Shinra propaganda.

waw

Pro Adventurer
She can be, but as one of Audrey's recent tweets pointed out in translation, it says Yuffie is a member of the Shinobi. I don't know how ya'll quote tweets so I won't attempt it. However, the meta material says she is rather than just her saying she is. I'm more inclined to think she is honest in that regard, but she may still be renegade in her mission. Curioser and curioser.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If they hadn't given his name in the trailer I wonder how many people would be guessing he was Kunsel.

She can be, but as one of Audrey's recent tweets pointed out in translation, it says Yuffie is a member of the Shinobi. I don't know how ya'll quote tweets so I won't attempt it. However, the meta material says she is rather than just her saying she is. I'm more inclined to think she is honest in that regard, but she may still be renegade in her mission. Curioser and curioser.

As the daughter of Godo, she is technically an agent of Wutai wherever she goes, and surely trained with the shinobi. But whether she's acting on a sanctioned mission from Wutai would be the real question.

"Sonon," said Godo.
"Yes, lord?" Sonon could see from the look of strained anxiety on his sensei's face that some disaster was rapidly bearing down on them.
"I've received word of my troublesome and foolish daughter. She has been spotted heading for Midgar. I want you to go and - and - "
"Rescue her from the consequences of her own impetuousness?"
Godo's face wore an expression of helpless apology... or apologetic helplessness. "She's the only child I have. Here, take this." He handed his handsome, muscular acolyte a business card for a noodle stand.
"Lucky Goblin Ramen, Windmill Square, Wall Market," Sonon read aloud. "Is it any good?"
"That's just a cover. They're an anti-Shinra organisation. Avalanche"
"Not the same ones who got our pagoda blown to pieces?" Sonon exclaimed.
"She's the only child I have," Godo repeated sadly.

Top Bottom