Sony's Spider-Man: Now a Part of the MCU; And Now Not Again; And Now Is Again

Okay, here's one bit of geekery that defines my experience as a Swedish Spiderman fan.

You see, in Sweden we don't have the word "Aunt". We have...
Faster = [Aunt on father's side, blood or in-law]
Moster = [Aunt on mother's side, blood or in-law]

In English, the word "Aunt" is ambiguous as to which side of the family there is a connection. You have to specify "Aunt on this/that side" in order to clear that up.

What this means is that ever since Aunt May's introduction in Sweden she has continuously switched between "Faster May" and "Moster May". My impression was that 70s comics called her Moster May, while later comics and cartoons pretty consistently referred to her as Faster May.

Now I read a Swedish synopsis to the new movie, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it calls her "Moster May".

*flips table*

So which is it supposed to be? If the Marvel wiki is to be trusted, then Ben Parker is the brother of Richard Parker, Peter Parker's father. That would make "Faster May" the correct Swedish title.

......Phew. Just had to get that out of my system. :wacky:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Marvel Wiki is in this case correct.

What the Marvel wiki May or May NOT mention is that there was a story -In Marvel's Epic imprint- about a foursome, two men, two women, who had a bit of partner swapping going on. Brothers Ben and Richard and lovers Mary and May... Only in that story Mary was Ben's lover and May was with Richard until accidental pregnancy.

This was intended to be canon but they scrapped that. I don't know why they decided to do this, since Spidey's parents have been SHIELD agents since '68.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
1) Best after credits scene ever – and there is one after the flashy credits, and the one at the VERY end of all the credits.
2) Really solid Peter Parker. I like how they avoided the origin story, but still managed to frame things in a way that introduced you to who this Peter is and what his world is like.
3) Well-handled villains & tension mixed with comedy.

I'm stoked that they got Donald Glover in there, and that he mentions his nephew so that they set up that Miles exists as a character in-universe, however – that makes the "Ned" stuff bother me even more. With the film doing a great job with updating Flash & MJ, it seems like they could've found a way to do an updated but different Harry or someone to fill in Peter's best friend without straight up jacking Miles'. ESPECIALLY since Miles exists in the universe, the fact that the core of his entire character dynamic has already been used makes me SO fucking bent, because how do you even ever use that now? Does Ned just happen to have BOTH Spidermen as best friends?

On top of that, Vulture knows Peter's identity but is keeping it secret from Scorpion, which makes it seem like building up to a version of the "Death of Spider-Man" arc and transitioning to Miles could totally be a thing, but this glaring issue of Miles' big differentiation from Peter's story being taken keeps me from being excited about it.

That aside, I liked the reveal of MJ, and of Liz being Toombs' kid. The Shocker(s) were interesting, but I kinda wish we got a TINY bit more from them. The connections to the MCU and motivations of the villains being believable was done exceptionally well. They managed the Stark & Parker interaction was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be and managed to still let both of them still feel like themselves without Peter being turned into Stark's mini-protogé (even if Stark still thinks of it that way).

Solid comedy, combat, & high school-ness about all of it. I genuinely forgot the title of the film until the very end, and found that it was exceptionally appropriate. Overall, I think that it's a damn good film.

X :neo:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I'm going to be seeing this one on Wednesday or some such bullshit. MAD HYPE SON

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
OMG IT WAS SO GOOD

I will post later because it's 3am and I'm in Seattle ATM so that puts it at 5am back home and I am tired.

But it was pretty great. It was really funny, and dramatic in the right moments, and they really did a good job of making it feel like he's actually a 15-year-old.

And the movie was also kind of adorable a lot of the time as well.

It was good good good.

Tom Holland may be the best Spider-Man yet.

Oh and also if you happen upon a theater that advertises some 4DX garbage that's supposed to "enhance" your experience, DON'T DO IT. My friend and I thought we were just going to see a normal 3D movie, and it literally almost ruined the experience for me.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I say that this was awesome, and that it should have been given to to Marvel in the first place.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I say that this was awesome, and that it should have been given to to Marvel in the first place.
Couldn't agree more. It was fantastic and Tom Holland was on point.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer

If it was the first place, we wouldn't have gotten the perfect actor in Tom Holland to play the role. But yeah, it was an awesome film. I dressed as Spidey at the theater and apparently some boy was having a birthday party there before the movie, and a lady asked if I could take pictures with the kids. So I did :) The movie was great fun. It did it's job portraying a very young unexperienced Spider-Man we haven't seen yet. Loved Michael Keaton as the Vulture as well.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Andrew Garfield is still my best Spiderman. But this is my best Spiderman movie. Absolutely loved it.

After everything I had heard and read about this movie, I was going in ready to be blessed by Spider-Man feels.

Going in with high expectations was a mistake. I ended up mostly disinterested in what was going on, to the point where I started to think about other things and forgetting to watch the movie. My disappointment is...of notable proportion.

I'm also suspecting that I'm partial to college Peter Parker/Spider-Man, so my enjoyment is hindered by having to watch this fairly-fresh-to-the-scene high school Spider-Man.

The way they developed the villain throughout the movie was great though. I feel like they avoided lazy routes here.
Like it would have been easy to kill off the Vulture, but instead they developed him into a more humane villain who keeps Peter Parker's secret out of respect.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Just got back from seeing, thought it was a fantastic fun movie. Keaton and Holland gave great performances.
My sole gripe is that they so massively undercommitted to a love interest.
Liz can come back or not, Peter can turn to Michelle or not, Peter can turn to Betty or not and if nothing else they still got Gwen and a more stereotypical Mary-Jane to throw out there.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Just got back from seeing, thought it was a fantastic fun movie. Keaton and Holland gave great performances.
My sole gripe is that they so massively undercommitted to a love interest.
Liz can come back or not, Peter can turn to Michelle or not, Peter can turn to Betty or not and if nothing else they still got Gwen and a more stereotypical Mary-Jane to throw out there.

This I didn't mind because Peter is just a kid with girl problems.
So I think it would be natural if they didn't have a real love interest just yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom