• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Sony's Spider-Man: Now a Part of the MCU; And Now Not Again; And Now Is Again

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
1CH4L05.jpg

sWJnH9L.jpg

hlfqmnm7nrr11.jpg

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I wonder if we'll be seeing Sandman being used as a way to provide some more legitimacy to Mysterio's Illusions as being a real threat of some kind, rather than just being clear that he's putting on a show. I'm glad that they're continuing along the "tech scavenger" plotline for the villains, because that seems like a super solid way of linking them together in a "not always with the Avengers" sort of way.

Also, that catch about the Hydroman Easter Egg at 6:05 was amazing.

X :neo:

Ghost X

I don't really remember the Mysterio character in detail, so it is interesting you suggest this is an act, as he doesn't particularly appear villainous in this trailer?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Mysterio is one of Spider-Man's main villains, and is/has been a member of the Sinister 6. He creates illusions to mess with people's heads. The working theory is that none of those monsters/elementals are real, and that Mysterio is just creating illusions to make himself look like a hero to mask whatever he's really up to.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
An analysis on the extended trailer:

So the Asian girl on the decathlon team in Homecoming is supposed to be Cindy Moon I guess. I was really hoping that would mean we'd get Silk (with a better origin story) but I guess that isn't going to be happening. :/

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
SO:

If "The Snap" did in fact tear a hole in the universe and generate the multiverse that Phase IV is gonna be moving into, that's a really smooth way of being able to integrate all of the fun extras without needing to worry about them retroactively impacting the continuity of the MCU. That being said, some folks feel like this is a red herring, because well... – it's fucking Mysterio.

Here's what makes me think it's legit:
  • First off: Mysterio, Nick Fury, & Spider-Man meeting as trans-universal travelers is basically the plot of the comic "Spider-Men"
  • Nick Fury is the one who says it in the trailer, so that generally means that he's done some of his own digging on whether or not the claim is bullshit, rather than if it was just something that Mysterio was claiming outright.
  • If Disney wants Spider-Man to fill the gap that Iron Man left behind at the end of Endgame like the trailer suggests (not to mention the fact that that's Spidey is basically guaranteed box office gold), that means that Disney & Marvel are definitely wanting to play nice with Sony, since the web-slinger is still theirs.
  • Phil Lord & Chris Miller (who made Spider-Verse) have a five year agreement to make a series for the Marvel TV Universe for Sony, and animation's always been where DC has solidly 1-upped Marvel, but that could give them a really big step into that space.
  • Both Spider-Verse and Venom did absurdly well at the box office, so letting both of those sandboxes exist on their own, but giving a path to them to play together with more MCU stuff through Spider-Man & the Spider-Verse essentially already writes itself.
  • On top of everything, this also gives Disney & Marvel a way to move in and adopt all of the things that they just obtained from Fox in a smooth way that doesn't disrupt any of what they currently had planned out.
  • They can use things like the Black Widow film as easy entry points with a familiar character to show us what things are like in a universe where they're still around, but things are... different than we'd expected.
tl;dr – it's something that mirrors the comics, it's straightforward from a storytelling standpoint, and it's damned good for business.

X:neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@X-SOLDIER
Agreement with your assessment of things from that trailer.

It really seems like leaning fully into the multiverse concept now is the way forward for Marvel Studios, allowing them to solve many, many problems in one go.

- Need a new Tony Stark or Steve Rogers actor without doing a reboot of established MCU properties?

- Need to give added credibility to Sony's playground of Spidey movies that are already playing with multiple universes, making it all look planned in tandem with Marvel Studios from the start?

- Need a way to work the Fantastic Four or X-Men into the established setting (without derailing it) while also leaving those properties with a setting where they can be "Marvel's First Family" or the only superpowered kids on the block (who aren't inexplicably reviled by the public while people love the Avengers)?

- Want to do new takes on the Netflix Marvel characters?

- That Inhumans TV series (or other projects, inevitably) fail to resonate with fans?

- Want to organically create opportunities for big "Secret Wars"-style crossover events?

Taking this slow-burn approach to getting there has really helped them out. It may have even gotten them to a stronger place than the primary comics universe's setting.

Top Bottom