Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm so stoked that this is getting excellent reviews, and that it's really nailing the potentially confusing multiverse idea on top of all of that. I just cannot wait to see it. Man, Sony managed to nail it against all odds on both of their Spider films that had incredibly low expectations. Never could've called this, but I'm ridiculously pleased.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So.... This movie was absolutely spectacular across all fronts.

They did a good job of adapting the events of Miles' story in a way that captures all of the important story beats, but in a way that has all of the Spider-Verse things occurring around him still. The movie's fun, humorous, entertaining, emotional, and it just nails all of the characters brilliantly.

Just can't get enough of it. Want to see it again already.

Stay through literally every single on of the credits.

Ghost X

Quite happy with the film's story and aesthetic. The film felt quite long in a good way with a lot stuff happening. Had the quite contemporary issue of dazzling imagery in a few places, where the eye isn't sure where to look, but it wasn't too bad. Found myself unusually conscious of the usage of sound as well in a good way. Post credit scenes were hilarious. Finding it difficult rate because it is a good film when there is just so much average crap out there these days. Maybe a...

4.1/5. Definitely recommend seeing.

In the theater waiting to see it for the first time. Fingers crossed.

Edit: I actually found some stylistic choices to be kinda annoying... like how when something's not the focus of the scene, it's usually blurry and doubled. I was going back and forth for the whole movie about whether or not my theater was showing the 3D version in a 2D show. Maybe this wouldnt have been in my mind of my theater wasnt crap, and I'd seen a trailer for the movie in the past month, but yeah.

Other than that, it was really fantastic. Wish
the whole bit with the Prowler was given more attention, but oh well.

A negative about the movie, was I HATED the design of Kingpin. He makes ZERO sense in his own universe.

Last edited:

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
I watched this movie during the holidays, and I think it's one of the best superhero movies ever made. This entire movie was a feast for the senses.

All the spider-people were likeable, though I would have liked for Ham, Peni, and Noir to have more scenes. Miles was a great protagonist; sympathetic, relatable, funny, sweet, and courageous. The audience was rooting for him all the way, and it made the scene of his official debut as his universe's Spider-Man so awesome and well-earned.

This was one of few movies that made me want to go right back in and watch it again the minute the end credits rolled. I'm definitely getting this on blu-ray.

Just came home from watching this movie and I am disappointed. It was a good movie, perhaps great even, but I barely felt anything. The post-credits scene was the only part that made me swell with emotion.

For years now I've experienced that whenever a movie is hyped as being the best thing since garlic bread I end up feeling empty during and after the actual movie experience. This doesn't always apply though. I remember expecting a great Spider-Man movie when I went to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming and that one left me very happy.

But the hype for Into the Spider-Verse has just been insane. Seeing it hailed as one of the best comic book movies of all time I was expecting a profound revelation of a movie experience. Even though I was consciously trying to dampen my expectations the bar had already been set in my sub-conscious mind. Ergo why I ended up feeling mostly...nothing.

Considering the frequency with which movies at the theatre leave me disappointed I'm starting to speculate on other causes that may have escaped me. For example I never get to watch movies on the BIG screen anymore. The big saloons with the giant screens and awesome sound are always reserved for 3D movies/showings and I can't watch those. I watched Spider-Verse in the smallest or second-to-smallest saloon. A big screen and booming sound would have distracted me from the worst part of going to the movies: Other people. People making noise and people smelling bad. The primary reason I go to the cinema is to catch up on popular culture instead of waiting months or years before I see the movie in the comfort of my own home. But I have to admit to myself that the cinema experience just feels sub-par for me these days.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Out of curiosity, what was its competition? AFAIK this was one of the few animated wotsits that came out in cinemas last year, and everyone's had enough of the repeated Pixar bollocks. Actually what was even feasible? Only shit that came out in cinemas?

More importantly: can the blockbuster movies of today be considered animation? You know, given they edit out mustaches and only seem to put humans in to reduce cost (and that all-CGI Beowulf movie was kinda weird), :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It was up against Incredibles 2 (Pixar), & Ralph Breaks the Internet (Disney), as well as Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson's stop motion) & Mirai (anime).

Even Avatar wouldn't qualify as an animation, because it does have inclusion of some live-action scenes, same with the recent Jungle Book films because of Mowgli. The Adventures of Tintin won in 2011 and given that that involved live action performance capture for it, it's probably the closest thing to what you're thinking of. I don't think that we'll have a full-blown totally CGI film like that with humans win for a while yet. I'd be willing to bet that the new Lion King is gonna be a strong contender for that title though – at which point (even because the category's only been around since 2006) I'd argue that it'd be worth reevaluating how those types of films are compared with one another.

Top Bottom