• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Square Enix Fails To Anticipate Final Fantasy VII Remake Demand

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I actually don't like the VA prospects for a remake. I hated the English voices they chose for almost everyone. Cloud was kind of ok, but really I vastly preferred the Japanese voices with subtitltes, and even more than that I preferred the voices I had given everyone in my head while reading the text in the original game. Voice acting is fine in some regards, it worked out fine in FFX and X-2, but I really am not overly fond of it with regards to FFVII.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
To be honest I rather like the english VAs, with rare exception. The only ones I dislike are Cid, and Cait Sith. The rest range from ok, such as Tifa or Barret, to downright awesome, like Cloud Sephiroth and Aerith's CC voice.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Cloud, Vincent, and Sephiroth were the voices I was ok with in English. Cait Sith can suck it, I know he's based on a creature from Scottish/Irish folklore but ffs, that accent is atrocious on him. Barret I couldn't stand, his Japanese VA much more closely matched him for me. Aerith's CC voice was... ok. It only seemed outstanding in comparison to her original AC voice imo.

To me, the lack of VA in the original was awesome because, when you rename the characters, you naturally give them voices in your head to match the names you've given them. I always named Cloud after myself, so in my head he sounded like me, etc. With VA, that doesn't work. Still, I'd be alright with VA, if they had an option for Japanese VA with subtitles. I refuse to watch AC/C in English, I demand Japanese voices with subtitles.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
You know what guys... I still haven't played the FFIV DS remake, and I probably never will. I just blissfully ignore it because I still have a perfectly playable version in my FF Chronicles set. I'm not aware with any of the story changes the DS version may have made, and frankly I don't care. If anything, I'll watch the prettified cutscenes online and put them on my psp or something. But the existance of the DS version hasn't "ruined" my experience of FFIV. Even if I did play it, I would probably treat them as two seperate things.

Yeah, part of the reason I want a remake is pretty graphics... but another is because I'd like something to make FF7 highly playable to me again. While I do like busting it out every once in a while, I find the materia system very dated and the game has been pretty damn easy ever since it was released (IMO). Not to mention some of the maps make it very annoying to play (if I could count the amount of time I have accidently walked out of a room...) IF a remake could keep the integrity of the OG's look and feel, but put the gameplay on par with current RPG standards then really, that's all I could ask for. At this point, continuity with the Compilation would just be a bonus because tbh, I can't even take it seriously anymore. If a remake could somehow fix all the Compilation blunders while simultaneously meeting my previous requirements then great! But IMO it should focus on a) being faithful and b) being fun.

jelly

Pro Adventurer
I don't like the VA prospect either. I didn't think any of them were terrible, but it's always a lot more fun using your imagination instead. I thought dramatic scenes were a lot more moving and emotional with 2D sprites than in FFX. My opinion only.

You know what guys... I still haven't played the FFIV DS remake, and I probably never will. I just blissfully ignore it because I still have a perfectly playable version in my FF Chronicles set. I'm not aware with any of the story changes the DS version may have made, and frankly I don't care. If anything, I'll watch the prettified cutscenes online and put them on my psp or something. But the existance of the DS version hasn't "ruined" my experience of FFIV. Even if I did play it, I would probably treat them as two seperate things.

/sigh I envy you. I also envy those who have been able to blissfully ignore AC.

At this point, continuity with the Compilation would just be a bonus because tbh, I can't even take it seriously anymore.
Not take what seriously? FF7 or the compilation?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The Compilation. The remake, at this point, would just be part of a compilation I only keep up with out of obligation and love of the original.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You know what guys... I still haven't played the FFIV DS remake, and I probably never will. I just blissfully ignore it because I still have a perfectly playable version in my FF Chronicles set. I'm not aware with any of the story changes the DS version may have made, and frankly I don't care.

If I remember right, it didn't change anything.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I remember being surprised at just how much like the original it was.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I thought it added some scenes that were cut from the original?

Not that I can tell. I've played (some of) the DS one but not the original :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, yeah, but I saw that more as restoring material left on the editing room floor. The original scenes were presented as they had been originally.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
So, if the FFIV remake is anything to go by, we shouldn't have anything to worry about with VII really.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I'm with grudge, did not like the voices or acting.

It's fine to flop with AC, and ACC(I'm sure you fanboys will disagree) but with a remake, that just can't be the case.

At the very least include the japanese voices so I can use those instead of the english if it sucks. I'd rather just read than listen to bad voice acting.

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
Hmmm, I think the VAs are improving and improving with every title. So I think I would have the confidence in their ability to perform for a remake. I always think that Burton does a good Cloud and I stand by that. Rachel Leigh Cook was never the right choice for Tifa IMO, the voice is all wrong doesn't match the character at all, I think though that if they do a remake, because there is such a high demand and expectation SE will be a little more careful. It is after all their breakout mainstream game....Also, Zack's VA was really good xD

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I didn't like any of them. I just didn't feel like whoever was in charge put enough effort into it.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Cloud was better than most of them, I could tolerate him most of the time, though not enjoy his voice.

I really do like the Japanese VA, Reno's and Rude's voices are great, Rufus has that sly, sneaky undertone down perfectly, Sephiroth has this sense of absolute arrogance confidence with an undercurrent of sadistic amusement, they all sound vastly better than the English VAs to me. Even Nanaki's very limited speaking parts sound the way I imagined him, so oddly cultured and polite coming from a one eyed big cat.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The japanese VAs are serviceable, but I'd prefer a better english dub.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm absolutely no good at judging Japanese VA (since I can't understand any of it), but the English ones aren't so bad, at least, in my opinion.

Althea

Pro Adventurer
AKA
myfinalheaven
I think though this is a consistent problem with dubs. I mean, several animu suffer from the same fate when they are dubbed. It's annoying as hell, but I do think I would give certain VAs from FFVII credit. I mean I liked the VA for Reno too and the ones I mentioned.

LOL @EverybodysGrudge: You are so right about RedXIII's voice, but then I dont think an American accent would have suited him...really, it's hard to say what would suit him xD

EDIT: Jimmy Brooks: You are totally right!

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Cait Sith was also infinitely better in Japanese. Still every bit as annoying as one would expect the damned thing to be, but without the completely unnecessary Scottish accent. Yuffie sounded good in Japanese too.

Btw, I prefer sub over dub with almost everything, so I admit to being biased.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I flat-out refuse to even listen to the English voices. I put them on for five seconds, and shivers of disgust racked my body, vomit obscuring the view on my computer screen.

Bah. I loathe dubs.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I flat-out refuse to even listen to the English voices. I put them on for five seconds, and shivers of disgust racked my body, vomit obscuring the view on my computer screen.

Rofl, sounds like you need to see a doctor mate.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I'm absolutely no good at judging Japanese VA (since I can't understand any of it), but the English ones aren't so bad, at least, in my opinion.

You cannot compare VA from different countries, because each one has their own ways to express emotions.

This said, I think the core of the problem is that every one of us had on his/her mind a certain voice assigned to each character. It's nearly impossible that it matches the chosen VA, so that's why they sound so jarring.

Also, I would have liked Sephiroth with British accent when watching the movie in English. A refined accent sounds more evil, imo :monster:

Top Bottom