Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

Uyjvq4d.png

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
First off:

Harrison Ford & Adam Driver actually DO look alike.

Yy3K5aR.jpg

Firstly, getting this bloody elephant out of the window: Han Solo CANNOT be dead. I refuse to accept this, it's Harrison freakin' Ford! Not believing this until his body is found and given a proper burial. My Han Solo fangirl is obviously in denial, but I want the concrete proof first, kthxbai.

He fell into the core of a dying planet that gave birth to a new star, rather than being used as a weapon of mass destruction. If there's a more badass Viking-style funeral, I'd like to hear it.

Additionally, Seeing Luke (and hopefully Lando) without him around makes that loss feel significant and meaningful – even moreso that Obi-Wan's death, especially since he won't be a Force Ghost. It gives everyone something PERSONAL to fight for, in addition to something thematic and Galaxy-saving.

I think I missed Warwick Davis. Where was he again? Bet it was a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo.

When Maz yells, "HAN Solo!..." he turns around. He's Wollivan, a little pink, anteater-looking alien.

X :neo:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
This photo shows a very similar appearance too (especially between Luke and Rey) :P.

Worth noting also is that Daisy looks a lot like someone who could be related to both Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman.

Also, upon reflection, the movie has a slight problem with show but don't setup with Rey, since we see her abilities, but don't get a lot of explanation for them off hand (She's such a good pilot because flight sims and tooling around on her apparently custom built speeder-swoop that she goes flying in. Loved to have seen some of that shit.) but nothing that ruins the experience.
Honestly, I'd have liked to see more of her life on Jakku, as much as it might have bogged down the plot.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
This photo shows a very similar appearance too (especially between Luke and Rey) :P.

Worth noting also is that Daisy looks a lot like someone who could be related to both Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman.

Also, upon reflection, the movie has a slight problem with show but don't setup with Rey, since we see her abilities, but don't get a lot of explanation for them off hand (She's such a good pilot because flight sims and tooling around on her apparently custom built speeder-swoop that she goes flying in. Loved to have seen some of that shit.) but nothing that ruins the experience.
Honestly, I'd have liked to see more of her life on Jakku, as much as it might have bogged down the plot.

It seems like that, but for comparison:
• Rey's flight skills, "You've got one [a pilot]." and "I've flown ships before, but I've never left the planet."
• Luke's flight skills, "I'm not such a bad pilot." and "I used to bullseye womprats back home on my T-16, and they're not much bigger than 2 meters."

Rey only uses the Falcon to escape the TIEs on Jakku and to fly with Chewie to where Luke is, whereas Luke gets to pilot an X-Wing against a key military target in a pivotal conflict against the Empire.

Her background on Jakku falls into the same category as Leia & the New Republic's slightly-at-odds relationship for me. It would've been nice to've seen it, but I think that it's better left as background for the purpose of pacing/timing certain character's reveals, and also for not overcomplicating certain things (i.e. if the New Republic is a bit of a pain in the ass, you care a little less when they get wiped out).

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So I just saw this movie for the third time. Even I'm surprised. Like, the prequels were rather meh but I enjoyed the original trilogy well enough as a kid, but I was never a super hardcore fan like some people can be.

However this movie really strikes a chord that I feel no previous Star Wars movie has. Not saying it doesn't have its flaws, because it does, but I still love it.

I don't even own any of the previous movies, but I'll probably buy this one.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

• Rey's flight skills, "You've got one [a pilot]." and "I've flown ships before, but I've never left the planet."
• Luke's flight skills, "I'm not such a bad pilot." and "I used to bullseye womprats back home on my T-16, and they're not much bigger than 2 meters."

Rey only uses the Falcon to escape the TIEs on Jakku and to fly with Chewie to where Luke is, whereas Luke gets to pilot an X-Wing against a key military target in a pivotal conflict against the Empire.

Her background on Jakku falls into the same category as Leia & the New Republic's slightly-at-odds relationship for me. It would've been nice to've seen it, but I think that it's better left as background for the purpose of pacing/timing certain character's reveals, and also for not overcomplicating certain things (i.e. if the New Republic is a bit of a pain in the ass, you care a little less when they get wiped out).

The thing is, we got Luke's affirmations of being a pilot before seeing him being a pilot, as far back as the Cantina. With Rey it was basically "Oh yes, I can do this." and it felt a bit rushed. Likewise, a passing mention of being familiar with the falcon ahead of time (in dialogue with Unkarr, where he mentions the 'big plans' the cross section says he had for the ship) to explain how she knows about what ails it now would have been nice. I get she's a mechanical whiz, but she did seem very familiar with a ship she seemed to consider a literal non-starter until it was her only option.
My issue isn't that there's no justification for these things, more that we should have been shown them or had them asserted first, and paid them off later.

In a similar vein, I wish the movie had had at least one scene of Poe on Jakku after the crash but before his showing back up. That felt like it wound up on the cutting room floor.

Also, that's nowhere near the whole of the republic. Maybe a major seat of government and population, but the old republic was a million worlds, and it sounds like the NR is basically the same planets as the OR

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So I just saw this movie for the third time. Even I'm surprised. Like, the prequels were rather meh but I enjoyed the original trilogy well enough as a kid, but I was never a super hardcore fan like some people can be.

However this movie really strikes a chord that I feel no previous Star Wars movie has. Not saying it doesn't have its flaws, because it does, but I still love it.

I don't even own any of the previous movies, but I'll probably buy this one.

This makes me ridiculously happy, Tenny!~ *^^*

The thing is, we got Luke's affirmations of being a pilot before seeing him being a pilot, as far back as the Cantina. With Rey it was basically "Oh yes, I can do this." and it felt a bit rushed. Likewise, a passing mention of being familiar with the falcon ahead of time (in dialogue with Unkarr, where he mentions the 'big plans' the cross section says he had for the ship) to explain how she knows about what ails it now would have been nice. I get she's a mechanical whiz, but she did seem very familiar with a ship she seemed to consider a literal non-starter until it was her only option.
My issue isn't that there's no justification for these things, more that we should have been shown them or had them asserted first, and paid them off later.

In a similar vein, I wish the movie had had at least one scene of Poe on Jakku after the crash but before his showing back up. That felt like it wound up on the cutting room floor.

Also, that's nowhere near the whole of the republic. Maybe a major seat of government and population, but the old republic was a million worlds, and it sounds like the NR is basically the same planets as the OR

Well, they WERE a bit rushed when we find out. :awesomonster:

Everything that we find out from her after the fact are things like the fact that the Falcon hasn't even flown in years, and she goes over all the modifications on it that Han doesn't know about and where they came from, and what they do, that let you know how she knew a lot about the ship itself, but again – still saves the reveal to work out when it does without skimping on those little details by delivering them later.

I kinda liked the reveal of Poe being alive being a surprise for the audience, actually – especially because following along with him from point A to point B would've given us a more active look at the Resistance before Finn & Rey meet them which was the other reason that we didn't meet Leia until we did.

*puts on nerd glasses*

From the visual dictionary, we learn that the New Republic is a large amount of the systems that compose its territories seem to be near the same as the OR, but rather than just having Coruscant as the governmental hub, they had a mobile seat of government with all of those worlds' representatives traveling that was accompanied by the New Republic's fleet. The Galactic Concordance (treaty of sorts after the battles of Endor & Jakku) demilitarized the remains of the Empire, and it became the First Order and still controlled a number of systems that were strongly devoted to the old Galactic Empire and didn't join the New Republic.

With the combat thing pretty much out of the way, the New Republic gets into doing the full-blown galactic government thing, and essentially is in a cold war with the First Order's few systems that're still devoted to their old Empire to ensure that they aren't rebuilding weapons. As a solution to that problem, the First Order goes and (secretly) reforms their military in the Unknown Regions.

Leia and the Resistance follow that trail and attempt to do something about it. The New Republic basically thinks that the Empire's military is gone for good, and she's chasing shadows, and the politicking and such are too slow to get anything done for her – hence their strained relationship and why she's a general and not a representative in the Senate.

SO

When Starkiller Base wipes out the New Republic, that would've been the equivalent to blowing up Coruscant in the Old Republic in the middle of a Senate hearing. You're not completely destroying it, but it's a damn-near fatal wound if not – especially with the First Order bringing a military of unknown size out from the Unknown Regions, as the bulk of the New Republic's fleet went down with the planets' destruction, and the Resistance had a good amount of ground troops, but only about 2 squads of X-Wings BEFORE the attack (after which they have 7).

So going into Episode VIII, the Resistance is going to have to cobble together as much from the New Republic's remnant combat forces as they can without any central government, while holding off against an unknown mass of neo-Imperial weaponry commanded by the First Order looking to sweep in and lock things down.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

Everything that we find out from her after the fact are things like the fact that the Falcon hasn't even flown in years, and she goes over all the modifications on it that Han doesn't know about and where they came from, and what they do, that let you know how she knew a lot about the ship itself, but again – still saves the reveal to work out when it does without skimping on those little details by delivering them later.

I kinda liked the reveal of Poe being alive being a surprise for the audience, actually – especially because following along with him from point A to point B would've given us a more active look at the Resistance before Finn & Rey meet them which was the other reason that we didn't meet Leia until we did.

*puts on nerd glasses*

From the visual dictionary, we learn that the New Republic is a large amount of the systems that compose its territories seem to be near the same as the OR, but rather than just having Coruscant as the governmental hub, they had a mobile seat of government with all of those worlds' representatives traveling that was accompanied by the New Republic's fleet. The Galactic Concordance (treaty of sorts after the battles of Endor & Jakku) demilitarized the remains of the Empire, and it became the First Order and still controlled a number of systems that were strongly devoted to the old Galactic Empire and didn't join the New Republic.

With the combat thing pretty much out of the way, the New Republic gets into doing the full-blown galactic government thing, and essentially is in a cold war with the First Order's few systems that're still devoted to their old Empire to ensure that they aren't rebuilding weapons. As a solution to that problem, the First Order goes and (secretly) reforms their military in the Unknown Regions.

Leia and the Resistance follow that trail and attempt to do something about it. The New Republic basically thinks that the Empire's military is gone for good, and she's chasing shadows, and the politicking and such are too slow to get anything done for her – hence their strained relationship and why she's a general and not a representative in the Senate.

SO

When Starkiller Base wipes out the New Republic, that would've been the equivalent to blowing up Coruscant in the Old Republic in the middle of a Senate hearing. You're not completely destroying it, but it's a damn-near fatal wound if not – especially with the First Order bringing a military of unknown size out from the Unknown Regions, as the bulk of the New Republic's fleet went down with the planets' destruction, and the Resistance had a good amount of ground troops, but only about 2 squads of X-Wings BEFORE the attack (after which they have 7).

So going into Episode VIII, the Resistance is going to have to cobble together as much from the New Republic's remnant combat forces as they can without any central government, while holding off against an unknown mass of neo-Imperial weaponry commanded by the First Order looking to sweep in and lock things down.

I mean narratively rushed. And yes, I thought it was cool that she was familiar with the falcon, again, I just wish we'd gotten more setup for these things.

I also think we could have had a pre-nod to her being force sensitive before being told she was- and this isn't a knock, I just think it would have been cool- when she's negotiating for rations from Unkar. Hell, work it all in. Have some back and forth- they obviously know each other- about the falcon, he tells her to stop looking around in it, it's his and he doesn't want her telling him how to fix it, he slaps down the rations, she protests, they argue, she says "they're worth X" authoritatively, he blinks, and agrees. She confusedly but agreeingly takes her food and goes.
Later that night, as she's eating dinner and tooling in a flight sim, BB8 happens, movie goes from there.

As for more Poe, I think everyone sort of knew he was coming back anyways? I would have liked to see him maybe coming across the aftermath of their escape at the station, and contacting the resistance for pickup. Maybe a two minute scene at tops. Beyond that, I'd follow Finn and Rey same as the movie did.

The NR got hit with a massive blow, the question is whether or not the majority of their forces did. Like, if you- for a historical example- set fire to Washington DC, you've dealt a blow to the US, but the US resources are not all in DC. It'll be a scramble for the NR, but not to muster resources. Probably more to replace delegates, senators, etc. and fill in gaps.

Even assuming that the entire Rebel and Imperial fleets got scrapped- which is very unlikely- both were on the order of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of ships. NR, even in peace time, would probably not cluster all of their ships around a single system, no matter how culturally or tactically important it was.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

*puts on nerd glasses*

SO

I mean narratively rushed. And yes, I thought it was cool that she was familiar with the falcon, again, I just wish we'd gotten more setup for these things.

I also think we could have had a pre-nod to her being force sensitive before being told she was- and this isn't a knock, I just think it would have been cool- when she's negotiating for rations from Unkar. Hell, work it all in. Have some back and forth- they obviously know each other- about the falcon, he tells her to stop looking around in it, it's his and he doesn't want her telling him how to fix it, he slaps down the rations, she protests, they argue, she says "they're worth X" authoritatively, he blinks, and agrees. She confusedly but agreeingly takes her food and goes.
Later that night, as she's eating dinner and tooling in a flight sim, BB8 happens, movie goes from there.

As for more Poe, I think everyone sort of knew he was coming back anyways? I would have liked to see him maybe coming across the aftermath of their escape at the station, and contacting the resistance for pickup. Maybe a two minute scene at tops. Beyond that, I'd follow Finn and Rey same as the movie did.

The NR got hit with a massive blow, the question is whether or not the majority of their forces did. Like, if you- for a historical example- set fire to Washington DC, you've dealt a blow to the US, but the US resources are not all in DC. It'll be a scramble for the NR, but not to muster resources. Probably more to replace delegates, senators, etc. and fill in gaps.

Even assuming that the entire Rebel and Imperial fleets got scrapped- which is very unlikely- both were on the order of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of ships. NR, even in peace time, would probably not cluster all of their ships around a single system, no matter how culturally or tactically important it was.

Again, while it is a little rushed, I think that it's important for setting a particular tone with Rey's character whereas seeing hints of her Force powers or piloting skills beforehand would cut out some of the surprise from the film in those moments.
• She CAN fly, but it doesn't matter because she WANTS to stay on Jakku to wait for her family.

I think that the thing about her Force sensitivity is that her having no real idea about it before hand makes her stand out as being different than Luke or Anakin, because she's a tinkerer. It isn't until the moment with the vision triggered by Anakin/Luke's lightsaber that she really gets any clue about her Force powers. (Seeing that moment play out for the first time is still one of my favourite bits in the film). Until Kylo Ren starts using his own powers to push into her mind, she doesn't understand how to use her own to push back into his mind and eventually into the trooper's. Same thing with fighting Kylo Ren when he mentions that he'll teach her to use the Force, and she then focuses to be able to push him back and best him, because her own martial prowess isn't enough. She isn't guided into it, she's thrown into it.

I think that the bulk of the important NR military was there (you can even see a lot of the ships getting destroyed by the planetary debris when they get hit). There's obviously still going to be some craft around the galaxy, and I'll keep an ear out for the exact quote about the NR fleet when I see it again. The issue is going to be organizing them when the lines of communication and centralization are so heavily damaged.

on that note, and in some more Episode VIII-specific territory:

Along with the more recent news that John Boyega mentioned about VIII being darker than VII, Rian Johnson mentioned a while back watching some old films with the crew, 12 O'Clock High and also Letter Never Sent. I watched both of them recently, and I think that they give a pretty good look into a loose thematic idea for what he's doing with Episode VIII.

Both films are about a small group responsible for undertaking an overwhelmingly & incredibly difficult task that this one group absolutely HAS to complete against all odds, or the desired outcome (of holding back the Nazis, or a new Industrial Revolution for Soviet Russia) will literally never come about.

While Letter Never Sent is alright, I absolutely cannot recommend 12 O'Clock High enough. Seriously, it is one HELL of a film in every sense of the word. I think that everything that VII didn't spell out about the state of the galaxy was because the actions in VII make it ultimately irrelevant with the blow dealt to the New Republic, and VIII will set the scene for that conflict in much more detail as it takes center stage.

Lastly: I really just love the hell out of this movie's soundtrack.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
• Rey's flight skills, "You've got one [a pilot]." and "I've flown ships before, but I've never left the planet."

Not really the same thing. Luke's dialogue implies that he owns a craft and takes it out sometimes, but with Rey we're left wondering how a girl that has lived alone on a desert planet since she was five got to fly spacecraft, when she can't afford food, has no known family or friends, and seems to be on bad terms with the owner of the nearest one. (there's nothing in the movie about flight sims). Also, if she was so familiar with the ship, why did she think it was junk?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
• Rey's flight skills, "You've got one [a pilot]." and "I've flown ships before, but I've never left the planet."

Not really the same thing. Luke's dialogue implies that he owns a craft and takes it out sometimes, but with Rey we're left wondering how a girl that has lived alone on a desert planet since she was five got to fly spacecraft, when she can't afford food, has no known family or friends, and seems to be on bad terms with the owner of the nearest one. (there's nothing in the movie about flight sims). Also, if she was so familiar with the ship, why did she think it was junk?

Pushing aside the point that both Rey and Luke only had experience with on-planet atmospheric flight, and Luke then flies a fighter ship in space combat, whereas Rey still only flies in atmosphere up TO space after flying through the equivalent of her world's Beggar Canyon:

There are ships docked by where she lives, and she works scrapping and knows electronics and mechanics. Additionally, because of her knowledge of the Falcon and its modifications – despite the ship not having flown in years, that she spent at least SOME of her time onboard functional ships and not all of her time diving through derelicts for scrap, not to mention that her statement gives experience on multiple types of craft. Given how she manages to do things like bypassing the compressor on the Falcon in hyperspace, it's clear she's been on a working ship before, even if it was just someone taking her out at some point. But she also mentions having flown ships, so she'd done some flying on craft that aren't hers (which fits what she's doing on the Falcon – which is also a ship she knows well).

There's also a pretty big difference in not being able to afford food, and her doing hard work to get by. Rey falls very much into the later category. She's of the mindset that she's waiting for her family to come back for her. She's not around to make friends, she's just waiting to leave, but it also doesn't mean that she never got along well with anyone. Additionally, Unkar Plutt is being exceptionally cheap with the food payment the second time (which she calls him out on for said pieces being worth a half-portion each a week earlier), because he's attempting to acquire BB-8. That shows that while the work is hard, she's managed to get by like all the rest of the folk on Jakku.

Lastly, objectively speaking... the Millennium Falcon IS garbage. Despite the fact that it's a ship that's got some notoriety from the Original Trilogy (and a little earlier with the Kessel Run), the thing is constantly on the verge of falling apart and in various stages of disrepair every time we see it, and it's AT LEAST 30 years past its prime and stuffed with shite modifications by the time Rey flies it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, even in the original trilogy,
Luke calls the Falcon junk when he sees it for the first time.

EDIT: Which, now I think on it, is also another
feather in the cap of "This is Luke's kid."

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Lastly, objectively speaking... the Millennium Falcon IS garbage. Despite the fact that it's a ship that's got some notoriety from the Original Trilogy (and a little earlier with the Kessel Run), the thing is constantly on the verge of falling apart and in various stages of disrepair every time we see it, and it's AT LEAST 30 years past its prime and stuffed with shite modifications by the time Rey flies it.

Plus it was sitting there in the desert for god who knows how long. That much sand and sitting idle can't be good for any vehicle :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

Plus it was sitting there in the desert for god who knows how long. That much sand and sitting idle can't be good for any vehicle :monster:

Flying it through the bowels of a Star Destroyer, which no matter how big, is still considerably smaller then the half-finished, 90% open space on the inside, Death Star Lando flew it through, is still the most impressive feat of flying in the entire series to date. Specially since it's in atmosphere, which the Falcon isn't remotely intended for.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Flying it through the bowels of a Star Destroyer, which no matter how big, is still considerably smaller then the half-finished, 90% open space on the inside, Death Star Lando flew it through, is still the most impressive feat of flying in the entire series to date. Specially since it's in atmosphere, which the Falcon isn't remotely intended for.

There is NO WAY that that the most impressive feat of flying in the entire series to date. It's not even the most impressive feat of flying we see in The Force Awakens – that title belongs 100% to Poe Dameron.

Insofar as the Falcon is concerned, let's actually compare Lando's Death Star II run vs. Rey's Falcon debut:

5:20 - 8:20

The space confinements that they're dealing with are near identical here, but Lando is doing the same stuff in the Falcon for a much longer period of time, whereas Rey is barely in the engine's super structure for 5 seconds before she has to bail out of a massive hole in the side of the wreckage, because there's not enough room for her to maneuver. Additionally, as this video shows: she's flying through the wreckage of an obscenely massive Super Star Destroyer, which – while still impressive – isn't that crazy – especially compared to the feats that Poe is pulling off in an X-Wing during the film.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm not 100% that's a SSD, engine, given the scale, but it's definitely bigger than an ISD.
It's not the craziest flying in the movies, much less the series.

I mean, Rey's good, but she's no Dash Rendar. Dash Rendar's the best at everything, Dash told me so.

Top Bottom