Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Maidenofwar

They/Them
It's my birthday this month and apparently relative is going to give me monies so I decided to splurge on the digital deluxe edition of this. Ps5 is still too expensive, I'm no where near affording gaming computer, and I think I'm triangle strategy satisfied mostly from watching streams for now so no need to go out of the way for switch yet.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
This looks amazingly stupid. I like it.

It sounds like the devs were playing this straight though, which is a bit concerning. I expect it of Nomura, but I like Nojima's writing quite a bit, so when he does stuff like this and the Tidus short story, er.....not sure what he's going for. Either way, looks fun in a ludicrous way.

Reactions: Wol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You haven't played the story so you really don't know what you're talking about.

Already 5 hours in and the story... Is very interesting. It's a unique repositioning and retelling of the original FF story. That's all I can really say at this point but the characters and setting are good. It's a solid entry in and of itself. It's funny but awesome.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Which is why I said 'looks' and 'sounds like', Mako.

night-vec50.gif

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
So, spoiler talk. In a nutshell:

The Strangers are actually Lufenians, and the Darkness that creates Chaos is the excess energy produced by the corrupt Lufenian society. It pollutes the surface world, and the Strangers are essentially the cleanup crew, sent to Cornelia, with the prophecy created to ensure cooperation. The Darkness accumulates until it creates Chaos about once every 2000 years.

The Strangers want to rebel against Lufenia, and Jack comes up with a plan to cultivate four true Warriors of Light strong enough to defeat the next Chaos who can fight against Lufenia. That's the true purpose of the time loops. He becomes Garland and Jed, Ash, Neon, and Sophia become the Four Fiends. If they win, Garland becomes Chaos and the time loop repeats. If they're defeated, they will have made the prophecy a reality.

The game ends with the start of FF1, with the Amano/Dissidia Warrior of Light and his three companions approaching Garland, signalling the final loop.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

The Strangers are actually Lufenians, and the Darkness that creates Chaos is the excess energy produced by the corrupt Lufenian society. It pollutes the surface world, and the Strangers are essentially the cleanup crew, sent to Cornelia, with the prophecy created to ensure cooperation. The Darkness accumulates until it creates Chaos about once every 2000 years.

The Strangers want to rebel against Lufenia, and Jack comes up with a plan to cultivate four true Warriors of Light strong enough to defeat the next Chaos who can fight against Lufenia. That's the true purpose of the time loops. He becomes Garland and Jed, Ash, Neon, and Sophia become the Four Fiends. If they win, Garland becomes Chaos and the time loop repeats. If they're defeated, they will have made the prophecy a reality.

The game ends with the start of FF1, with the Amano/Dissidia Warrior of Light and his three companions approaching Garland, signalling the final loop.

Who could've seen all that coming :flipmonster:

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima

That actually sounds kinda cool. Good plot. Obviously executed in a ridiculous way.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm avoiding spoilers as I play through this because discovering it is really part of the fun for such a game. But I just wanna say that it's very entertaining and fun. The story's an interesting take of the base storyline and themes of FF1 and is laid out as a sort of identity mystery about who exactly arranged this whole... Warrior of Light legend, for what purpose, and who the hell are Jack and the others. And I find it all very neat, especially how they're portraying the Lufenians here.

The levels are just...awesome. I love how creative they are and you can't help but pay attention to the design and interact with them as you explore and fight. They're linear but not boringly so. They're intuitive enough to explore with enough hidden stuff to keep you interested and keep your brain awake. Favorite level by far has been the Earth Shrine modeled after the Tomb of Raithwall. That level was fucking awesome.

The boss fights are well done and really challenging. Although Tiamat was a bitch and I literally needed co-op help to take her down. She was the "wake up call" of the game, because you HAVE to have some grasp and mastery of the gameplay concepts to overcome her, otherwise you're getting your shit rocked HARD. Fucking ridiculous. But she went down. Thankfully the other bosses haven't been this hard, which I guess shows I'm learning something :monster:

This game just feels like a fun yet engaging and interesting Final Fantasy and I love it. Jack's definitely a hilarious and badass subversion of the typical JRPG FF protagonist which is sorta actually impressive since so many FF protags are already subversions of the typical hero you would see in most JRPG stories. So for Jack to be able to make such a memetic and memorable impression and keep going as an interesting and amusing character is... Sorta cool. The whole cast are sorta just a collection of tropes but they've got good chemistry, characterization and what's been revealed so far is really nice.

It reminds me of KH1 with how Sora, Riku and Kairi literally just are fucking the most basic of JRPG tropes but as the story unfolds they become well... More characterized and interesting. It's sorta like that except not starting from a level of "zero" like they did at least. But it's the same concept. You literally know nothing at all about them and they're just tropes but they unfold more and more and get more rounded as the story progresses.

So yeah, given that I've taken down two Fiends, I'd say I'm about half way through the game now. And so far it has not trainwrecked or come off as something disappointing. I'm glad to say.

I'm so fucking glad I didn't pre-order/buy Chocobo Racing GP and instead got this. There was a time I prioritized that game over this and I'm so fucking happy I didn't :awesomonster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Doesn't this game not come out for two more days? How are so many people playing it already?

If you preordered the digital edition, they let you play the game 3 days early lol

After the demo I got hooked. :monster:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
That moment that has now become a meme where one character makes a speech and Jack pauses and then is like '*******' and walks off playing his music is SO brilliant. I don't care if it's intentional or unintentional.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Just got jobs for friends. The area I just went through reminded of Sen's Fortress some. Much like Souls I am bumbling my way through this and somehow making some progress. I'm having a lot of fun, I have maxed Mage to L30 and unlocked the Black Mage and White Mage which I have started to level through side missions. I've been finding Mage a lot of fun with normal attacks to fill MP, elemental skills in combos, refilling MP while casting, etc. Also ran Duelist a fair bit as well and almost L30 there as well.
Curious about co-op is everybody Jacks? :desuawesomonster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Curious about co-op is everybody Jacks? :desuawesomonster:

No, when you co-op you either join someone else's game as one of their allies or someone joins your game as one of your allies. No multiple Jacks. However, you still play the same and can soulburst, etc.

I'm getting near the end of my game now, I can tell. And it's fucking good. The story is one of those that gets better the more you go into it but I feel like it's sorta short sadly. But what it tells is fascinating and a cool subversion of the original FF1. Like, hilariously yet intelligently so.

This is the most isekai FF story that's supposedly not an isekai story I've ever experienced. LOL that claim is only half true because Jack and the others (save for Neon) are definitely NOT from the world of FF1... They aren't from our "real" world either but they definitely are strangers. That's what they're literally called.

Like, this game is definitely darker but not... Oppressively so. While it's edgy, it's definitely no pizza cutter. SoP is a blade with a point and one that's interesting when you get to it. Literally can't believe I'm enjoying this Team Ninja action game with random ass strangers.

Already I feel like this game is a solid 8/10.

Jack is FF's very own Doomguy. :wacky:

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Been playing for a few hours now, just beat Bikke. My muscle memory from the remake keeps fucking me up because all the buttons are different lol. Plot has been kinda bare, though that's bound to change, I already know. I'm glad I slogged through the NES version of FF1 a few years ago, I can actually appreciate that SOP is hitting all the same progression beats, though in a very different way. I'd love to see 8 Bit theater Garland try to deal with Jack lol.

Top Bottom