• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Interesting, I wonder how much connection to Dissidia it will have since a good portion of FFI’s lore came from the Dissidia games, and since Team Ninja developed the most recent Dissidia console game.

Wonder if they’ll use the Amano Warrior of Light, its a very strong design and I think has established itself as an iconic Final Fantasy image.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Seriously, make that in a game that already had time-travel established and people wouldn't have as many problems with it.

FF1 is also the most underdeveloped world setting in the FF franchise... since it's pretty much a D&D setting with the serial numbers filed off. So they can pretty much do whatever they want and still call it an FF game.

That said, SE trying to branch out into other game genres it does really *get* is an issue. They still don't quite know what to do with open-world or shooter games and they want to try a Souls-esque game? Uh... good luck? At least they got someone who knows how to do that already at the helm.

That said, that they do is worrysome. It almost feels less like an SE game and more like a Team Ninja game with licensed characters/settings. I don't quite know if I like the taste of SE letting other people use FF settings/character in that kind of way.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
A Soulslike starring General Garland????

The WoL design from Dissidia is indeed iconic, but one of the main things FF1 has going for it is that you pick and name your characters and classes. Who has the orbs is determined upon starting a new game, so a prequel where the warriors of light are predetermined characters (like the FFIII remake) risks depriving my all white mage run of its “legitimacy.” So I hope they go for more of a “Dark Crystal: AoR” route with a new cast of non-WoLs

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

The WoL design from Dissidia is indeed iconic, but one of the main things FF1 has going for it is that you pick and name your characters and classes. Who has the orbs is determined upon starting a new game, so a prequel where the warriors of light are predetermined characters (like the FFIII remake) risks depriving my all white mage run of its “legitimacy.” So I hope they go for more of a “Dark Crystal: AoR” route with a new cast of non-WoLs
Well as seen with Nier Replicant/Gestalt (and FFX), you can still have a voice acted character with a non-modifiable design, while still having the option to name the character. So that element could still be retained.

Quoting myself from the FFXVI thread because I'm lazy:
Very interesting. Thinking about it, IMO, it'd be cool if it was something akin to Crystal Chronicles, with a system that allows for both single player and co-op. They really seemed to have dropped the ball with the FF:CC remaster (a pity because couch co-op was a lot of fun back in the day... if you had the equipment for it), but I think an FF Souls-y ARPG that you could play through with friends would have a lot of appeal (see: the co-op in Souls/BB), especially since the way Souls ties co-op to invasions is a bit of an acquired taste (it's really special and adds a ton to the series, IMO, but I get why it's not for everyone).

Using FF1 as a base sounds like a great way to let you build your own character and such. I hope the Souls-like rumor is true because this sounds like exactly my kind of thing.

If this is indeed like Souls or Nioh then I highly expect them to have some sort of character creation system for the player character with you being able to customize your stats/build and appearance. I've never actually played FF1, but with the job system from later FFs, they'd have a good basis for outfits and maybe even abilities. I'm personally hoping for co-op, which would fit with FF1's D&D roots, but perhaps they'd have some sort of AI party system.

Already despising the idea of having to deal with obnoxious Souls fanboys in my FF, the regular ones were already enough...?

As a (hopefully non-obnoxious :P ) Souls fan, I can already see the annoying/toxic subset of Souls players telling other Souls players to "git gud or go play FF". :monster:

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
A character creation solves that problem quite neatly indeed. One of the 4 WoL’s has a solo prequel adventure, maybe culminating in them getting their orb? Lots of room for creativity here, I hope this rumour is true (Polygon and other sites are now reporting on the rumour as well, I wonder if it’s true...)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Maybe this is overthinking it, but maybe because Souls originated in Japan, SE will take to it a bit easier than an FPS or open world....

Certainly having a team with experience in this take lead on its development makes me think a couple of things: SE current people are taking copious notes to use for an entirely new IP and are just using the FF name much like Final Fantasy Legend for the glorified experiment of the system....or SE is thinking of acquiring KT and want to see if they can do a more story heavy game rather than Dissidia....

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
SE is thinking of acquiring KT and want to see if they can do a more story heavy game rather than Dissidia....
As someone who plays a lot of Opera Omnia, also by Team Ninja, I can tell you that one of my favorite parts of Opera Omnia is watching all the cutscenes. I don't know who writes them, but whoever it is, they *get* the Final Fantasy characters and all their story/character arcs. So at least I'm not going to be worrying about *that* too much.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I hope this is true, because that'd be a helluva game to play.

I just hope they keep the Dissidia aesthetic and build off the fleshed out narrative established in Dissidia and 012 for this supposed FF1 prequel. Chaos and Garland have fertile characterizations that can be explored and realized, as does Warrior of Light. I'd love to see it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I've never played Dissidia, so the FF1 I know is incredibly bare bones. I'm just curious why they're specifically making it a prequel to FF1 and not just some original project?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because it's probably connected to Dissidia. :monster:

And Team Ninja have been working on the Dissidia IP for close to 7 years.

This project would also explain why they moved on from NT. They had another project to work on.

Dissidia and FF1 are intrinsically linked and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lore or aesthetic are carried over. At least in a general sense.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Still doesn't explain why making the game linked to FF1 of all games? Like where are the FF1 fans claiming they wanted game set in game's universe? Cause I never found any of them.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Still doesn't explain why making the game linked to FF1 of all games? Like where are the FF1 fans claiming they wanted game set in game's universe? Cause I never found any of them.

This, more than any other reason, is why I’d be excited by the project.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let me repeat.

Because FF1 is connected to Dissidia. :monster:

The narrative punch and revelation of Dissidia and 012 is that it all actually takes place before FF1, and serves as the set up for the first Final Fantasy.

And Team Ninja just so happens to be the main studio handling the Dissidia IP for Square Enix since 2015. I do not think this is a coincidence. They were already working on an IP connected to FF1's "origins" since 2015. Clearly, Square Enix trusts this company and have more ideas for the brand of Dissidia. It might not involve this game being a meeting ground for all FF main characters, but the fact it's connected to FF1's origins? That's pretty telling.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
No interest in this, although there is a rumour that the whole of SE's stuff has leaked, so there is surely more interesting stuff yet to come out. Either way, E3 is very close anyway, so not long to wait...I do wonder if we'll get any P2 news at all. Even if they just announce how much P2 will cover, it will be very interesting. I forgot when it was that they revealed midgar was all of P1, but I recall it being a fair bit before the release?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Final Fantasy is due a Dark Souls-esque game beyond FF characters cameoing as bosses in Kingdom Hearts. :monster:

I really want to enjoy that level of action gameplay in a Final Fantasy setting. We deserve more than Sephiroth trying to mug some kid's keyblade or Not!Noctis trying to murder you in Shibuya.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Let me repeat.

Because FF1 is connected to Dissidia. :monster:

The narrative punch and revelation of Dissidia and 012 is that it all actually takes place before FF1, and serves as the set up for the first Final Fantasy.

And Team Ninja just so happens to be the main studio handling the Dissidia IP for Square Enix since 2015. I do not think this is a coincidence. They were already working on an IP connected to FF1's "origins" since 2015. Clearly, Square Enix trusts this company and have more ideas for the brand of Dissidia. It might not involve this game being a meeting ground for all FF main characters, but the fact it's connected to FF1's origins? That's pretty telling.
Oh I am well aware of that. I'm just commenting on the funny creative choices that went into making that connection.
Dissidia012-MoogleArt.PNG.png
Like the fact that this Cid played a role in great and cosmic dealings with beings like Shinryu just makes me chuckle.

Top Bottom