• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
well, they dont show tiamat and the black haired woman on-screen at the same time. but, the tiamat jack and co fight seems to have a masculine voice in both en and jp trailers. so one would assume she becomes the tiamat who the ff1 WoLs fight?
It should be kept in mind it’s not uncommon for female monsters in Japanese to be voiced by male voice actors (and it’s not atypical for them to be known for drag or cabaret) like Moro in Princess Mononoke (same voice actor did the Witch of the Waste in Howl’s Moving Castle) or Psycho Jenny in Devilman, Angelus in Drakengard, or Fortuneteller Baba in Dragon Ball. Even English cartoons do it sometimes like with Ed Harris as Granny Goodness or Bob’s Burgers casts. So the voice doesn’t necessarily mean much.
Heck even Garland is already represented by two voice actors already with Jack and Christopher Sabat as normal Garland.

Also something else to consider, the Four Fiends in the original Japanese of FF1 were more literally called the Four Chaoses, so if all the characters want to kill chaos, maybe they all want to kill a version of themselves.
2537BBB7-B9F7-417F-AF68-AB61BA2210F3.jpeg
Or to put it more comedically

Last edited:

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Points to my own avatar and display name.

Anyway, wrt the plot stuff:

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN SIGNIFICANTLY DARKER THAN OTHER FINAL FANTASY GAMES?

NOMURA: As we revealed in the latest trailer, the protagonist of this game is Garland. With that in mind, we made Jack older than the protagonists from previous Final Fantasy titles, and his appearance is more rugged, too. As he's the iconic villain of the first entry in the Final Fantasy series and the narrative of this game centers around why he became Chaos, the game naturally adopted a darker tone.

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-origin-garland-tetsuya-nomura-interview-exclusive

It seems to me that the end goal is for Jack to become Garland (and his buds become the Four Fiends).

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, it was pretty obvious :monster:

Their key art and logo gave the whole damn thing away!

I love how fucking honest they're being with this title. "Yeah, we thought it would be a pretty cool plot twist to hide but apparently the Western audience figured it out from the start so now we're just like, 'fuck it. It's all in the journey or whatever', right??"

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Perhaps previous incarnations, or if time travel is involved like the original FF1, maybe time travel paradox duplicates?

I'm curious, are people interpreting Stranger of Paradise as canon to FF1? Because I feel like Nomura has been clear that it's not.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN'S RELATIONSHIP TO THE STORY OF THE FIRST FINAL FANTASY GAME AND THE SERIES AS A WHOLE?

NOMURA: The narrative of this title doesn't completely connect to or continue from the first Final Fantasy—rather, we created a new story that uses the first title as its motif.

'FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN' TRAILER: TETSUYA NOMURA BREAKS DOWN THAT SHOCKING TWIST

And previously in June...

He goes on to state that this game is not a continuation of the first Final Fantasy game. This title draws inspiration from the first game. It more or less uses it as a “motif,” according to Nomura.

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is Not a Continuation of Final Fantasy I

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Nomura also just revealed in Famitsu that they tried to hide Jack Garland's connection to Garland/Chaos at first, but Team Ninja told them all that the Western Audiences guessed Jack became Garland. :monster:

So, they clearly were trying to hide the link and connectedness of the plot to FF and now... They're simply not. And technically, it's not a "continuation" of FF1, because it's before FF1. So yeah, it doesn't "continue from" FF1 at all. Nomura even says the previous PR strategy was asking "Who is Jack?" and is now "How did Jack become Chaos?" The connection isn't in question or obfuscated anymore.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
While I didn't know about Garland/Chaos' true past until now, the word Origins in the title was pretty much obvious that the upcoming game is a prequel to the very first Final Fantasy game that came out all those years ago.

But the way how they just revealed the new game's protagonist Jack turning into the Garland we know...Yikes. That just spoiled most of the story and the ending before it's even released.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Nomura also just revealed in Famitsu that they tried to hide Jack Garland's connection to Garland/Chaos at first, but Team Ninja told them all that the Western Audiences guessed Jack became Garland. :monster:

So, they clearly were trying to hide the link and connectedness of the plot to FF and now... They're simply not. And technically, it's not a "continuation" of FF1, because it's before FF1. So yeah, it doesn't "continue from" FF1 at all. Nomura even says the previous PR strategy was asking "Who is Jack?" and is now "How did Jack become Chaos?" The connection isn't in question or obfuscated anymore.
It's like we didn't already play enough JRPGs to predict where it's going.

But serious they were naive if they really thought we wouldn't make the obvious connection.

But the way how they just revealed the new game's protagonist Jack turning into the Garland we know...Yikes. That just spoiled most of the story and the ending before it's even released.
Let's hope it wasn't the only major "secret" in the story.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Let's hope it wasn't the only major "secret" in the story.

Yeah, maybe they should just reveal only small teaser trailers and just give out info on the progress of their games since several game trailers of the recent projects in the past few years or so is making it easier for fans to understand the games before they even play them, which would spoil the whole thing and make them even less fun.

Reactions: Wol

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
tbh i see the continuation thing as saying this isn’t going to be “this is what was happening in ff1, the game released 35 years ago” but rather just using the same elements to tell a different story. but this is also my view on the connection between the original games and dissidia, and i am willing to fight anyone over that.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
tbh i see the continuation thing as saying this isn’t going to be “this is what was happening in ff1, the game released 35 years ago” but rather just using the same elements to tell a different story. but this is also my view on the connection between the original games and dissidia, and i am willing to fight anyone over that.
According to an interview I read yesterday, it's supposed to be only heavily inspired by FFI, not to be seen as a prequel or continuation of the original.

Source:
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-origin-garland-tetsuya-nomura-interview-exclusive

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
It could also be seen as set in an alternate timeline or something like that. A lot of people know how the ending of the original game went, let alone the whole thing with Time Travel.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am going to be super contrarian today

i don’t think it needs to be an alternate timeline or dimension or whatever. i don’t think it needs to explain itself and how it fits into a continuity or canon. it can just be a story that remixes and reinterprets classic elements from the original game and which stands alone without connecting to a grander scheme. i think more things can do well to not be fixated with forming part of an expansive universe and instead take those shared elements (if you’re going that route) to create something that is its own thing and not bound by trying to slot in to previous work.

i am aware i am talking about a game where the protagonist walks derisively away from a conversation blasting corny metal music, and i am fully prepared for square to shatter my hopes and instead try to force an explanation of how this ties into the original ff1. my heart is ready for disappointment

i also realise that i basically described the attitude to canon and continuity as seen in the michael bay transformers series. that’s not what i intended or wanted but i guess it happened

Top Bottom