Teams

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
They're not on the main page, so cba. It feels like I'm posting on blog rather than a forum, so cba. You simply don't have the same posting features like on the forum. And they're just generally wank. The activity of current Social Groups pretty much validates my logic. :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Why are the Member Groups shitty?

I'm not understanding the resistance to actually using them and stuff :monster:

Have you actually used them? :monster:

@ A , the cliques on ACF already existed well before the teams were made it was just a matter of bunching them together.

If need be i wouldnt mind having the teams section visible either.

edit:
Road hit dead on , its just not the same man.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Okay, fair enough.

Let's open it up for a vote. We'll see how much of the members want full sub-forum teams and then go from there, how's that? I suppose if the Member Groups are that craptacular it necessitates a look at an alternative. :monster:

Since Cookie Monster is so confident that this won't be a problem and he's committed to doing it and moderating, I guess it wouldn't hurt doing it after all.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Great , who wants to do the pleasure of making the poll thread?
I dont mind ill be awake a bit longer.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I really don't think teams would need some giant forum for each of them.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
If it gets on its feet , i really cant wait for the competitions that was my favorite part of the teams on ACF.

Except this time members from the whole forum should be allowed to vote rather then just having 1 guy judge everything -.-

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Ashes said:
he memberbase here isn't so brutally divided

Neither was ACF's, as far as I can remember. In fact, there's only a few segregations I can remember: SO / FCF, Spam (SO as well), and perhaps clubs / rp, but those were only minor segregations. The division happened largely in the spam section and after the clubs were created.

Gabe said:
People were bound to just hate on each other from the onset of acf.

o rly? The vast majority of people got along just fine, but as above, it was the teams and the regulars of the spam section that seemed (at least to me) to cause the most problems / disagreements. Next to staff, of course.

Gabe said:
the only reason there was a sense of segegration on ACF was because the members already couldnt stand each other prior to joining the teams.

...If that was knowledge before the teams existed, why were teams created in the first place? Shouldn't there instead have been made an effort to either get people to kiss and make up, or to get rid of the biggest troublemakers / 'haters' instead of chucking them into groups / enclaves with like-minded people? I dunno man, sounds awfully counter-productive.

seyE okaM said:
Let's try to NOT make this place a damn copy of ACF, please? I'm tired of people comparing it to ACF and trying to shoe-horn its failed concepts that have no place or need here. We don't need teams. Especially in light of member groups now. Use those.

^.

briel said:
It wouldnt be making any cliques , we would sitll hang out in the main forum but well just know each other on a more personal level.

That's what they said about ACF teams too, and see what happened, :monster:.

gabe said:
I think testing it out would merit the loss of say 1 day to make rules and 10 minutes to implement , its ridiculously simple to make a new usergroup and subforum.
i just dont see why your so aversed to such a simple little nick nack.

It's not about how 'hard' it is to set it up (because it's not), this is more about the implications this may have in the future, segregation, distraction, spam, ecksetra. It's far from simple, that's the whole point, :monster:.

Gabe said:
Secondly last i checked you werent even a part of any teams on ACF

What does ACF or one's history on ACF have anything to do with this? Quit judging people by their history or lack thereof on ACF, or no u.

Gabe said:
Fuck i gotta log into a MMORPG and delete bots all fucking day, im sure you guys can handle one more section.

Just noting that moderating actual people involves having to read all posts and get up to date with all the back-and-forth discussions, participate in threads like these on certain subjects, and involves a LOT more than just checking / banning spambots or handing out warnings here and there.

mako said:
Giving the member's what they want is all well and good, but in the end we're the facilitators and shit of what the forum and site is, and we have a focus and theme we want to stay on. It's our job to keep the site on focus for what it is, and not take away from it.

^. Sometimes we can't allow the members to decide forum policy, although we do try to make concessions as much as possible.

Gabe said:
If its implemented ill donate enough money to this forum to keep it going for atleast the next 5-10 years (i do have the means to do this btw)

Strange, earlier you posted that your family had to pawn stuff in order to pay for your bail - am I confused now? Also, trying to buy your way into getting your will across isn't really what we're looking for - say the 'experiment' fails and we're forced to shut down the teams, what would you do? Demand your money back? Demand the teams be re-opened? We (read: I) prefer not to have people buy their way into the site / donate an X times more than others in order to get leverage in certain decisions.

Gabe said:
Your fear of turning this into ACF 2 seems to be the real reason behind your oposal to this by the way.

And for good reason.

Also, nit-picking posts apart isn't something I prefer doing.

The social groups to me just arent the same thing ,

...yes they are. They're forum sections that only selected people / members can view (if that option is selected), what more do you want? If it's a link on the forums frontpage, that can be arranged easily.

Also, just adding in favor of the discussion that these social groups would need moderation and whatnot as well.

Gabe said:
Is this your way of telling me not to tell the rest of the guys about those pm's i just got from you and asking me to pretend like your not gonna take the bribe?
Ok.

XD

Gabe said:
Anyone and everyone can make social groups,

That can be disabled if it becomes a problem. Besides, social groups that just don't work will die out automagically.

Eyes said:
It's true any number of social groups can exist at one time, but they're easier to read through and gleam for abuse than having to go through entirely separate sub forums that are private and privy to only their members. Plus, with the whole privacy shit going on, a lot of complications can arise regarding what can be seen as just being said in private and what should still be considered flaming even if the other person isn't there to read it.

This. The problem with teams is that they're assumed to be private, and people will throw a hissyfit (read: have thrown) when they notice that there's people that can view multiple teams or that a staff belonging to team X can also view team Y.

With this in mind, I'm very much in favor of all moderation staff / administrators being able to view all teams at all times, no exceptions, if this thing goes through. But I think I said that earlier in this thread.

Eyes said:
And FF boards aren't always going to be "lame as fuck"

Also because there's been FF forums for as long as I've been on the internet, and none of them has ever died out, :monster:.

Gabe said:
GC , hello/goodbyes, feed back.

I'd just go for one section, actually, but then it'd be a carbon-copy of social groups. See above.

Gabe said:
We are not elitist here

I am, :monster:.

Monster said:
They're not on the main page, so cba.

They could be, as I have indicated before. The modding community just needs to hurry up with a proper integration hack, :monster:. And vB should be kicked in the nuts for making it as separate as it is.

Dacon said:
I really don't think teams would need some giant forum for each of them.

This, thrice. Teams on ACF quickly became MicroCF's, thus removing the need for people to post outside of the teams a lot and possibly creating a lot of duplicate content / posts.

Overall, I can't say I'm in favor of this thing, for reasons stated earlier. I dunno how the poll is going yet, but if it is in favor, we'll give it a try with just two teams at first. The teams are all publicly viewable and postable for moderators, and they'll be shut down at the first (or maybe second) sign of inter-team drama or fucking about, imho.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
On the point about worrying about this place turning into ACF 2.0 it's really worth pointing out that laying the blame on inter-team drama is kind of lame :monster:

ACF's dramafest stemmed from having a batshit insane owner, inept, biased and unpopular staff, and a spam section with an itchy trigger finger. None of which TLS has :monster: It seems a bit unjustified to point the finger at teams for the shitstorm.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yes, but the teams always seemed to be a label to point those fingers at. Generalisations about different teams like one being full of "spammers", on full of staff (and supposedly ass kissers), one full of noobs etc... it was sorta a stigma that was usually unfounded.

If teams had a purpose, like comps, it'd be nice... but thats a difficult thing to run, and would usually get little interest, from my experience anyway.

Also i do agree that in some cases it lowers activity in the rest of the forums. I think in my case on acf it was more the drama and crap that stopped my activity, but teams are a place to retreat to, and some people end up retreating there permenantly.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Yes, but the teams always seemed to be a label to point those fingers at. Generalisations about different teams like one being full of "spammers", on full of staff (and supposedly ass kissers), one full of noobs etc... it was sorta a stigma that was usually unfounded.
True, which would be something that staff could endeavour to snuff out from the off if teams were implemented here. But the point is that this place needs to get seriously more fundamentally screwed up to make any serious comparisons to ACF actually credible :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Strange, earlier you posted that your family had to pawn stuff in order to pay for your bail

My grandpa was quite the old stingy rich coot , he didnt share a dime in his lifetime but when he died he left me and my sisters quite a bit of money for investments , about 20thousand each more or less , me getting the most.
My parents dont have access to this money at all and i didnt have my wallet or any other form of ID/nor my debit card to show the bails bond lady for payment. They were going to allow me to do it anyways and opted to pawn most of my shit anyway. (my parents) Which is batshit because the first thing i did when i got out was buy a new ps3 :monster:

That money is strictly for investments only (for the most part since ps3's arent exactly investments XD) and i try to stick by my grandpas wishes just to honor his death.
I was once willing to buy out ACF (albeit now i realise 20thousand probably wasnt enough , was it?) but now i just dont care for forums that much anymore.
That said i was being sarcastic about keeping this place afloat that long.
Youll never see more then 100$ out of my ass XD

edit:
Just noting that moderating actual people involves having to read all posts and get up to date with all the back-and-forth discussions, participate in threads like these on certain subjects, and involves a LOT more than just checking / banning spambots or handing out warnings here and there.

lol yop , reread that section of my post , i have to ban currency farming bots (which just get remade in seconds btw) ontop of modding the games official forums , mentoring new players in the noob zone and making sure people dont go batshit crazy in the /alingment ,/recruitment , /auction channels.
So yeah i do know what it takes to a mod a forum , i gotta do it to :monster:

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Hello boys and girls, I suggest you go join the fucking teams before they get closed. If you can't bother then you best tell us why.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Nope, nope, nope.

You have to do it through Social Groups, not Group Memberships(in your CP). We decided to use the Social Forums hack after I had set up the usergroups for teams. So those usergroups are useless, atm. :monster:

Meteo

wolf among the sheep
I think most of us here recall 'The Conference Hall' on ACF that was developed as a communal council for inter-team moderation and discussion. Before it was unjustly disbanded due to SY's personal isolation and various dramawhores distorting the purpose of the forum, all the teams seemed to, for once, find an equal ground and inter-team affairs were deliberated with civility and maturity. In that brief time I believe the team system saw a hint of prosperity and I believe had it not been for a select few members not currently a part of this forum, the teams would have lasted much longer than they did and drama for the most paert would have been soundly eliminated. I think if a similar section is created as a jointly operated governing body open to the public (that is all members of any team, and staff), the threat of team implementation becoming overwhelmed with controversy and petty feuds, and thus realizing our worst fears of ACF 2.0, would be easily prevented.

That said, I personally don't see the need for the teams, especially with these social groups...which I'm admittedly unfamiliar with but seem to be something of a team but simply on a smaller scale. We don't have anywhere near the member base or tenure that ACF had during the peak of team prosperity there, so I would seriously question the relevance of any teams created at this point in time.

Top Bottom