ThatGuyMikey Plays Final Fantasy VI

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Here's a missable item FAQ.

There aren't just missable items. There are also missable events. And even characters if you're not careful. And lets just say certain choices carry life or death implications.

I strongly suggest using a walkthrough for FFVI. It's a heavy game. With a lot of content. Content and characters who can literally vanish or die for good.

D

Deleted member 13557

Missing stuff in these games really annoys me, and I’ve probably already missed a bunch of stuff, but this seems like a game with a lot of potential branching options based on the potential of characters vanishing / dying.

Once I beat this, I might do what I did with FF7 and jump right back in with a guide.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Once I beat this, I might do what I did with FF7 and jump right back in with a guide.

That’s a great idea.

FFVI game absolutely flexed on SNES capabilities by making a game with more missable content than Mass Effect. It (and its Squaresoft contemporary Chrono Trigger) is mind blowingly “open world.” No FF before or since comes close to this. And yet, it’s almost FFVI’s central pitch.

(Side note: when Dissidia was being announced, some old school friends of mine stressed out about who the FFVI character would be, because, they said… “How can we possibly know who the main character of FFVI is?”)

The climactic battle that you had with Kefka on that snowy mountaintop is one of several of what I call lynchpins in the story. That moment is going to hit different depending on which branching story you did in which order, (Sabin, Locke, Terra) along with other factors. The battle not only plays out differently in terms of party composition and positioning — but also investment, pacing, etc.

That moment is only one of many lynchpin moments in the story. You can go through again with a guide, unlocking all sorts of stuff. But you’re already forging your path through FFVI’s player-driven story. So enjoy!

D

Deleted member 13557

That moment is going to hit different depending on which branching story you did in which order, (Sabin, Locke, Terra)

I went Sabin, Locke and then Terra. Will make sure to change that up next time.

I love the fact that this game is player-driven. Gives me more reason to replay. Interested in seeing what the differences are!

D

Deleted member 13557

Forgot to mention but I love how you can equip two accessories (relics) on your characters.

Huge fan of learning magic off of magicite. I love the flexibility of the materia system, but with this you get to keep all of your spells. It reminds me of how FFIX let you learn abilities / magic from armour, but this is done a lot better imo.

Also, you actually keep all of the magicite following the magitek research facility area? Having six more espers in my inventory caught me off guard. Not complaining though :mon:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Small tip for you also.

Most of the espers in the game provide a stat boost which permanently increases the stat they boost when you level up when you have said Esper equipped makes for fun customisation.

Its a little bit like thestat system in FFIX where your stats increase permanently depending on the equipment you have at the time of leveling.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Small tip for you also.

Most of the espers in the game provide a stat boost which permanently increases the stat they boost when you level up when you have said Esper equipped makes for fun customisation.

Its a little bit like thestat system in FFIX where your stats increase permanently depending on the equipment you have at the time of leveling.

This is what GamePro would call a "Hot ProTip."

Yes, this is the metagame of FF6. Unlike 7, there aren't items that will raise your stats, but Espers will, if you have them equipped on level up. It doesn't matter what magic you know from the Esper, just that you do have it equipped.

I have often heard of people monitoring their EXP for when they'll level up next, and then switching to an Esper with the stat bonus they want, leveling up, and then re-equipping an Esper that they want the character to learn magic for...

But, I myself have always been far too lazy to do that and just equipped Espers to folks with a Stat I wanted continuously boosted for a character, and hammered my way through the game like it was a Green Pepper And Sausage Pizza.*

What can I say, I like having the battle speed at 1, it's *exciting* :D

*That said, stats all max at 128. Any values over that will not have an additional benefit.**

**except raw attack and defense power but those can only be boosted by changing to stronger equipment and this is getting too long omg ._.

D

Deleted member 13557

Wait.

Who died? You gotta be specific.
As far as characters go, I’m not entirely sure just yet. Nothing has been made explicit, bar the Emperor.

Kefka just broke the world and now I’m playing as Celes about to catch some fish for Cid.

Going to see what else has happened tomorrow

D

Deleted member 13557

Wait for what exactly?

I beat Atma Weapon, the scene played out, the ground crumbled and I jumped on the airship. The airship split in two, with Terra on one side and (I think) everyone else on the other.

A year has passed, and now I’m playing as Celes.

D

Deleted member 13557

Based on how your playthrough has gone, I believe Shadow died.
Ahh dammit. I think I didn’t recruit him when I could’ve at a certain point, is that a life or death decision for him? Didn’t pay up like a cheapskate

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
No, it has nothing to do with that actually.

You were supposed to wait for him at the edge of the Floating Continent, before jumping onto the airship to escape it's destruction. Remember how you were being timed to escape, once the Warring Triad we're disrupted?

During the last 5 seconds before the end, Shadow would have appeared and made it to join you. You'll now have to save him in another playthrough because he's 100% dead.

You're definitely going to want to do a second playthrough now. Especially because there's a very important and interesting secret to him.

This game is merciless. They purposely put in extremely obscure and hidden secrets in this game. Your party members (and new ones) are hidden across the world, adjusting to the new apocalyptic setting they've landed in. So you just have to find them. Although, I'd be really surprised if you find the game's secret characters all on your own. They're hidden deeper than an earthworm buried in a giant triangle island desert.

Ultimately if you don't, you'll just simply have a shrunken roster. Good luck, just explore everything.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Speaking of dead, I'm kinda surprised you didn't really say much about General Leo. Another character you'll have to press F to pay respects for. :monster:

Yeah, the world is a pretty different place, Kefka facerolled humanity good. You're going to be tripped out at how much is hidden in VI when you play again with a walkthrough and actually do the sidequests in earnest. FFVI is on par with VII in terms of being dense with secrets, things to do and hidden variations thanks to branching choices.

Dragon Neck Coliseum was where I discovered completely by accident that Limit Breaks exist in VI and it fucking tripped me out. Locke was fighting some creature and losing. He was in critical health and then he suddenly pulled a quick as hell attack out of nowhere called Mirage Dive that dealt 9999 damage (which I had never dealt before up until that point) and I won the battle. I just blinked, wondering if I had glitched my game or something.

There's a lot to find in VI if you keep digging.

Top Bottom