• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (August 30th)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I tried watching it

I had to quit halfway through, the animation and the character models were freaking me out.
as a child i could not watch for than like 10 minutes of the original because the little elf characters freaked me out too much. not even the evil bird monsters, it was the good guys that i couldn't deal with. i only finally managed to watch the full thing over a decade later (and the elves or gelfins or whatever they are called still wigged me out a bit)

Fangu

Great Old One
My boyfriend put on the first episode and I was like - amazing art and imagery, cool to see puppets, it's been a long time (in general pop culture anyway) - story, meh. Could tell what would happen immediately, even down to the dialogue. Too much set up crammed into an hour (you can tell they struggled with the script.) Also, uninspired cinematography. Was rather not impressed. After the first episode we pretty much decided we wouldn't watch the second.

But I stayed for the artwork and the being curious about the puppets (not at all really interested in the story or characters). Plus I was bored. Came home from work, watched the second and a bit of the third episode. Boyfriend rewatched the second so we could continue watching together. Currently were on episode 6, and I have to say, the improvements as the season progress are not small. It feels like they had some creative challenges in the beginning, but found their tune as they went on. This show has made me laugh, excited and also brought a tear to my eye. It's also full of horror moments only puppets can provide, and I'm shocked the age limit for this is 7?! I'd say it should be at least 15!

I'm happy I stayed and I'm happy I still have more episodes to go. It's rare to see a project stumble this much and then get this much better.

I hope puppets are here to stay!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
After finishing the series I am really sold on it. The characters and the story develop really well, but the Skeksis steal the show.

I even went back and rewatched Episode 1 — yep! It’s better on a second pass. The CG still bugs the hell out of me, but the ‘making of’ documentary they include as an epilogue was really inspiring.

I’d really recommend this show! It’s horrifying.

Fangu

Great Old One
^ all of this is my thoughts exactly. Even going back watching some of episode 1 again. I'm floored by how they actually pulled this through, I mean, it's puppets galore. Watching that "making of" I am SO impressed with the puppet makers and puppeteers. I mean voice acting, sure, but it's the puppeteers that really bring these characters to live.

Also
apparently there was a love story between Rian and Deet in this? I mean I can absolutely see it from his end, but goddamnit his girlfriend died like what, two weeks ago? xD Anyway the sketch in Brea's journal is apparently of them, I thought it was of Brea and Rian. lol.

Anyway I kinda like that there wasn't any massive in your face romance stuff here, so I'm glad they toned it down.

The Skeksis did steal the show, but I kinda feel the same way about those other two guys out in the desert. Plus... for me it's all about Hup. Best character ever created, hands down. I was constantly scared for his life. His puppeteer is an absolute genious. I want a picture of him on my wall.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Rian’s puppeteer is especially great. On my second pass I’m really noticing how the guy can’t keep still, but it looks like his feet are where the puppeteers shoulders actually are @.@

Fangu

Great Old One
Ah, yeah I loved that bit where he talks about how he didn't want to stand still. I think it definitely added something to it. I also love love Chamberlain's movements, it pairs so well with the VA. Oh and while we're on it, I have to mention Deet as well. She just comes alive in a way that's unique. Out of the trio I think she's my favourite.

I spent a few hours listening to vol 1 of the soundtrack today while working. The music isn't mentioned in the behind the scenes thing, but man, is it great.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Hup is amazing, and on The Dark Crystal accounts, they've been doing lessons in the Podling language with him, and they are fucking HILARIOUS:

Also, Deet is fantastically wonderful, and is without question my favourite character even before she got her blessing from the tree. I really love when there are little details like how her pupil size is MUCH larger than the others, and also how when Rian is underground with her for a while, you see that his eyes are more dilated than they are on the surface.

sub-buzz-766-1567549971-1.png

On to more spoilery-type things:

I was expecting this:
giphy.gif

but got the darkening reflected back at them.

I'm 98% certain that her and Rian are Kira's parents, given that the Fizgig live in Stone-in-the-Wood and she can talk to all the creatures even before the visions seem to hint at that more directly. I also felt that Brea and Kylan are potentially going to be Jen's parents, even though Kylan is a more minor character still, his connection to the more learning and ethereal things make it seem like he'd be more likely as Jen's father than Rian.

Also, while they aren't spoken about directly, for anyone who's read the follow-up comic to the film, the way that they speak to each other through the fire and touch it without burning when they do is actually REALLY interesting, because it seems like they have some connections that they're establishing between the Gelflings and Firelings even without introducing the latter since I'm fairly sure that they don't interact for hundreds of trine still.

Also, I'm wondering if we'll get an origin for the Crystal Bats from the smaller Ascendency in much the same way that we did for the Garthim from the larger ones. It definitely came to mind with the one Aughra was using to spy of the Skeksis.

X:neo:

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Ahaha I love those Hup videos :D I love him so much!!!
On to more spoilery-type things:
I'm 98% certain that her and Rian are Kira's parents, given that the Fizgig live in Stone-in-the-Wood and she can talk to all the creatures even before the visions seem to hint at that more directly. I also felt that Brea and Kylan are potentially going to be Jen's parents, even though Kylan is a more minor character still, his connection to the more learning and ethereal things make it seem like he'd be more likely as Jen's father than Rian.
You know what, although they have only like 4-5 scenes together, I sensed something between Brea and Kylan and I kind of started shipping them a little? Great to know there's a chance that was left in there deliberately, because it definitely made me think things.

I haven't seen the movie yet, I've seen people mentioning elsewhere about the possible parentage of the characters in the movie. I'd think the movie was too far ahead for the characters to be related, but there could be some ancestry at least? Not sure about the timeline here, I'm sure the movie will tell me more. I'll have watched it by the end of this week, I think.

If there's ever a season 2 it would be interesting to see 'the (Rian's) quest for finding Deet'. I hope we're not done with her yet. I WANT MORE DEET

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@Fangu I would highly recommend checking out the movie. I think that you'd really appreciate it now and where things go, because there's enough space that it's not clear how and where things might go or how they get there, but you'll have a lot of thoughts about where things might be headed. Additionally, just seeing the original source material you'll understand why it just stuck with people as strongly as it did, and why everyone involved coming back to it is so damn cool.

Also: All of the comics for The Dark Crystal are well worth your time. There's a series that's a sequel to the film that was originally planned as another movie that has really interesting concepts that I've appreciated more after watching Age of Resistance. There are some older comics about even earlier events in the world that I've been meaning to check out (downloaded and haven't read yet) that I've constantly heard good things about as well.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Also hahahahha why do I keep listening to this on repeat

For some reason it reminds me of this:

Just the sort of general fun and madness that happens when you have all the puppeteers just hanging out and messing around, and I'm really glad that all these little clips are being put out on Twitter and whatnot. It's really magical to see them having that kind of just misc fun.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I / we haven't seen this yet, but I do want to chime in in that I often feel like show makers try and cram too much shit into the first episode, so you easily lose track. A fairly recent example was The Expanse where it took me three or four episodes to finally get into the story / be able to follow it. Things like that get easier on a rewatch.

(on that note we've been watching all of the Marvel movies and there's a lot in there that's missed or caught after a rewatch / more (fresh) context from the other movies.)

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
There is a bit of front-loading historical information in the first episode, but that's also important because it establishes the knowledge that everyone has as a status quo that the rest of the episodes are about growing to doubt and question. Because of that, it feels a little bit more acceptable here than it does in some other cases.

Reactions: Ite

Fangu

Great Old One
No one had said anything about puppets since my last post and that makes me sad

Anyway Mark Hamill replied upon being asked if AOR had been renewed for a season 2 or not 'not yet' and I find that positive

He's also been acknowledgingthe love AOR is getting, so, it's doing well views wise I guess. I've seen lots of folks on Twitter saying they're on their second viewing. (I'm kinda on my third......)

Also what made me really go AH! is that I realized the first 3 TMNT movies were Jim Henson. I absolutely LOVED those turtles as a young teenager. Learning more about Jim Henson and the fact that they were his work it now makes complete sense.

I am so happy to see so much love here for this show. I'm onto episode 6 and I can't believe how much I adore it. I missed the film when it came out because I was in my nerd-denial stage, so now I'm making up for lost time. The puppetry is freaking incredible and it's such a delightful change to see this kind of physical artisanship in a time when the marvels of endless CGI are beginning to feel a bit tired.

You guys have already mentioned many things I love about this show (including the fact that it has real shock-horror power), so I'm just going to add that I love the wide range of diverse female characters of all ages. The majority of the main protagonists are female, and it's such a treat. The thing about only female gelfings having wings also pleases me.

The voice acting is phenomenal, as one would expect looking at the cast list. The scene between Rian and the Chamberlain in the carriage, where the Chamberlain argues that the Skeksis are simply acting in accordance with nature, was somehow all the more chilling coming from puppets.

Fangu

Great Old One
A very good and revealing interview with some of the creators: A Spoiler-Filled Chat With Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance's Creators

I won't go into details because there are many interesting things to discuss from this, but it's becoming very clear that they wrote the first season with at least a second season in mind, and that there is a lot of deliberate things in the first season for where they want to go.

My impression is that the Jim Henson company and everyone else involved are literally sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for the green light.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I have been watching this nonstop, every spare moment. I’m on my second binge already.

Also, I identify closely with SkekGra. Every time he speaks, I think, “...this is me, this is literally me”. Goes without saying he’s the best character in the show. :wacky:

Fangu

Great Old One
I saw The Dark Crystal yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought it was good. I wish I discovered it as a child, I was 1 in 1982 so I could have picked up on it at any point, but I guess it never aired on TV here. Would probably have had to get the VHS. I fondly remember The Muppets, Fraggle Rock, Neverending Story and Legend, but I never saw Dark Crystal or Labyrinth. I know I would have adored it forever if I saw it, it was just my type of thing.

Spoilery stuff that was cool from having seen AOR and reading about stuff, pluss random rant:
* That throne is definitely the one in Stone in the Wood
* That old lady flirting with Rian actually got to dance with Jen in the end, I love it
* Love the dialogue references from DC in AOR - like "you're a boy!" "I'm a girl!" (about wings)
* I was so sad when the Garthrim trashed Aughra's room, it was so beautiful in the original (in AOR as well, but I think that's CG?)
* That shelf in the crystal chamber Jen looks down from in the first scenes there, isn't that the same shelf Rian is on?
* There's a lot of camera shots and angles and positioning of Jen and Kira that reminded me a lot about how they shot Deet and Rian (and I believe we will see more similarities in season 2 - I'm thinking particularly the ending scenes in the crystal chamber)
* The first Gelfling the Skeksis ever drained was Mira, the last was Kira. They're also both blonde with bangs. Definitely no coincidence imo. Rian couldn't save Mira, but Kira was saved, not by Jen alone, but by her animal calling abilities, and eventually the urSkeks (called forward by Jen's actions).
* I'm kinda leaning less towards Rian or Deet being anyone's parents, it might just be subtle references and nods towards the movie, and I kinda like that more? There are so many Deet elements in Kira, with the green in her hair and outfit, her animal calling and general closeness to nature - Jen and Rian have very different personalities, but they look a lot alike.
* This (compared with the previous points) makes me think things won't go well for Deet and/or Rian. If Dark Crystal had a good ending, paralleling to things that didn't go well in the age of AOR - the last thing we'll see of Deet is her dying in Rian's arms (hopefully after being cured).
* Regarding that - people keep saying about Deet's vision of Rian putting the little shard into the dark crystal, that the shard doesn't fit. But looking at the movie, that little shard didn't fit either, and was the proper one. The interview I linked says something about "things might have happened before and become undone again" (or something to that effect), so I'm thinking Rian DOES heal the crystal, or at least heals it enough/ uses it to remove the darkening from Deet, but somehow the shard is removed again and ends up with Aughra. (The shard alone was not enough to permanently heal the dark crystal, as seen in the movie.)
* omfg the Mystics - THE MYSTICS. The images shot of their wandering was taken out of any amazing fantasy picture book from the 70's/80's. Amazing.
* The Skeksis being so afraid of the Gelfling (due to the prophecy) they would run away from them was really great and says a lot about why they started wiping them out completely - it wasn't just about essence. Fear will make people do cruel things. I hope (and I'm sure) they'll elaborate on this more in s2. (The article I linked says something about testing morals. I can imagine a parallell here.)
* I'm so happy the Podlings survived.

Generally this movie was beautifully and creatively shot and a perfect mix of live action and puppetry. You can tell they planned out everything very carefully, and imo the movie is rewarded for it.

Top Bottom