The Expired Marvel Netflix series

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
giphy.gif

Thanos.....

Iron Fist made sense, this one is just puzzling because Luke Cage I'm assuming had better ratings and had received critical acclaim. The fuck is going on over there at Marvel?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i don't watch these shows but i do enjoy telling my brother about tv series he likes getting cancelled so i've got something to look forward to lol

is there something going on with these shows, because two cancellations announced separately seems a bit weird? were they previously picked up for more seasons or was the future of them unknown before this?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I feel like it's a combination of things given that Luke Cage got cancelled, too.

1. Disney/Fox merger in January
  2. Post-Infinity War Changes
  3. Disney's own streaming service
  4. Potentially relaunching them together as Heroes for Hire
All of those things likely play SOME role in things, but it'll be interesting to see what all we find out about it, since it's off to announce the cancellations without how they're continuing things – unless there are things preventing them talking about them yet which it seems like there're any number of at this point.

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They better not cancel Daredevil because S3 was amazing. Fisk is a great villain and I love the tension throughout the season with so many people in Fisk's pocket, giving this uneasy vibe of "WHO CAN YOU TRUST" and shit.

When Netflix is done, half of the MCU shows will still exist...I hope they renew you.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
what is this, I've seen nothing but praise on the internet, season 3 was pretty dope

Anyway, this sucks. People keep saying "Disney+!" but they have already said it's for family-friendly stuff only and the Netflix series wouldn't go there.

Who says Daredevil and co can't be (made) family friendly? I'm not buying it TBH, I think they're getting cancelled now because it'll be easier to reboot them on D+ instead of waiting for the contracts / rights (if any) to expire or to be bought back.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Given that they just made a Star Wars Kids YouTube channel, I think that the Disney/Fox merger has triggered some higher-level changes on their scope of content delivery that they're going to need to address, and we're seeing that happening actively with the death of the Netflix shows.

Originally, Disney+ was gonna be their "for kids and everyone" content platform, and everywhere else they had things was gonna do what they do already. However, with Deadpool and lots of other Fox content specific to BIG properties under their umbrella now, they're basically required to figure out how to handle content that's gonna be VERY much wanted by an older audience who will also want the other "for everyone" content, but not want to split up paying for things in different locations for parents and other users.

I'm betting that they're gonna take the Netflix model, and make a "Kids" version that essentially filters to just their "everyone and younger" content, and focus the other Disney+ experience to be wider than it originally was planned for. That'll keep their audience happy on both ends, given more incentive to purchase it, and also limit things like the more obnoxious sides of the fandom from overfocusing on the prevalence of kids stuff in a negative way.

It sucks for the Netflix shows pretty damn badly though.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Huh. Didn't think JJ would be the last one standing. At least it's probably corporate strategy rather than feedback to the shows themselves.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, that's exactly my expectation as well. "The Punisher" has already wrapped shooting (haha), so will get the axe first, and then JJ (still shooting) really will be the last one standing before it too is shown to the door.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
giphy.gif

That being said, it is a lot more awkward awkward if they do want to do that, given that the previous shows existed in-universe as much as Agents of SHIELD and such did with their one-way connections to the MCU. It's not quite the same as the Spider-Man Reboots, although Into The SpiderVerse might be soft bringing the reboots in as well.

Still if they do that, the Fox Merger happening in-between us finding out how the MCU resolves "The Snap" does present the perfect time to let the TV and Shows play a little bit more closely with one another. Since it already seems pretty likely that's happening with the Fox Film Properties, I'd bet that they're looking at building a playground where Mutants and other folk can all play together on TV in the same sandbox, and making sure that that's a sandbox that also lives on one of their streaming services.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
giphy.gif

That being said, it is a lot more awkward awkward if they do want to do that, given that the previous shows existed in-universe as much as Agents of SHIELD and such did with their one-way connections to the MCU.
It would be incredibly awkward, particularly as the connections aren't entirely one-way. "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has an explicit two-way connection to the movies in the season 2 episode, "The Dirty Half Dozen."

There, in conversation with Maria Hill, Coulson explicitly reveals Sokovia as the location of Loki's Scepter and Baron Von Strucker, and also adds that it's time to bring in the Avengers, setting up the opening scene to "Age of Ultron." The S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier that assists in the evacuation of Sokovia also came from AoS.

The Netflix shows, meanwhile, are explicitly tied to "Cloak & Dagger" via name dropping the Rand family in the first season finale, as well as -- more significantly and more overtly -- Misty Knight and Brigid O'Reilly being friends (a connection suggested to the showrunners of "Luke Cage" and C&D by an unnamed "someone at Marvel"). In turn, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." along with "Agent Carter" are tied to "Cloak & Dagger" via Isodyne/Roxxon's investigations into harnessing the Darkforce.

Really, the only MCU show that could seemingly still be left out in the cold here is "Runaways" -- it hasn't yet tied itself to any of the other shows, and it seemingly features different versions of a minor character (Tina Minoru) and magical artifact (the Staff of One) that appeared in "Doctor Strange."

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It would be incredibly awkward, particularly as the connections aren't entirely one-way. "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." has an explicit two-way connection to the movies in the season 2 episode, "The Dirty Half Dozen."

There, in conversation with Maria Hill, Coulson explicitly reveals Sokovia as the location of Loki's Scepter and Baron Von Strucker, and also adds that it's time to bring in the Avengers, setting up the opening scene to "Age of Ultron." The S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier that assists in the evacuation of Sokovia also came from AoS.

That's still a one-way connection though, AoS is tieing itself to the movie but the movie doesn't refer to the series.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It is referring to the series, though, by directly using plot developments that the series provided.

While I suppose you could argue that the opening scene of "Age of Ultron" feels like something that could have happened regardless, as viewers won't know any difference, there were plenty of viewers wondering who these "old friends" were Fury was talking about retrieving the helicarrier with. Even to viewers who weren't watching AoS, it was obvious from context and phrasing that he wasn't referring to Maria Hill and War Machine.

Hell, the timing of all this was even perfectly coordinated. The AoS episode "The Dirty Half Dozen" aired on April 28, 2015 -- three days before "Age of Ultron" was released. And four days after that, the subsequent AoS episode has the cast watching what went down in Sokovia and discussing Coulson providing Fury with the helicarrier.

This is a two-way connection by any measure.

We go directly from a1) Coulson giving Maria Hill that info, then telling her to get the Avengers to act on it; and b1) talking about getting the helicarrier/the Theta Protocol going -- to a2) the Avengers attacking the Hydra base in Sokovia; and b2) Fury showing up with the helicarrier.

All in real time!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
AoS season 2 wasn't even written though when they were working on Age of Ultron. They have talked about how the movie scripts are generally done way before work on the newest season starts and how tv scripts have a faster turnaround time than movies. The writers of AoS get to see the movie scripts in advance so they can incorporate plot elements into the series. Which is why it's always a one-way connection - the logistics of the whole process make it impossible for the movies to react to anything ongoing in the series whereas the series can plan ahead and include the movie ongoings and coordinate that with the actual release date.
That "old friends" line is referring to the former SHIELD staff that can be seen on the bridge (like for example the dude from Winter Soldier who refused Rumlow's order to launch the Insight carriers). The way AoS writers worked it out is clever enough that you can retroactively apply it to Coulson and his team but at the point AoU was written, season 2 wasn't scripted yet.

Top Bottom