The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Lex

Administrator
I think we all want to be a dragoon :monster:

The dragoon soul crystal requires a lancer at level 30 and a pugilist at level 15, by the end of the beta I was 20 and 10 respectively so I'm really hoping the character data does come forward :D.

But after that I'm definitely going to level a mage, we need one in our merry band. So far we have:

Me: DPS (Lancer, Pugilist)
Satsu: DPS (Gladiator?)
Ami: DPS (Gladiator)
Marcus: DPS (Lancer, some sort of craftsman)
Force: DPS (Lancer, Pugilist)
Avec: ???? (PLEASE BE A MAGE OR DEFENDER)

There are quite a few healing classes, the scholar looks nifty when casting spells (he looks at his book and waves his hand and his robe blows about everywhere, lol).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
It's worth noting that there's supposed to be a certain amount of Gladiator synergy with Conjurer, I'll look into that and see what I can do

I'd also probably look into multi-classing with Pugilist/Marauder, or maybe even Thaumaturge. Given that Pugilist and Thaumaturge guildmasters are located in Ul'dah, I'll probably check those classes out once I have my Gladiator stuff sorted.

Lex

Administrator
I had to go to Ul'dah for Pugilist. I think I like Gridania as my character's starting place because it's so damn busy, it must be the most popular. There are too many people there! Going to Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah was win after my character had been "reared" :D.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I was going to join another guild and be a secondary class on top of Gladiator, but wanted to leave it until the early access / official launch when there's no time limit inflicted. I really can't wait until then, but it's good to have a break because the game took over my life since last Friday until yesterday.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah this game is nuts. I found myself having a ton more fun than I expected out of such a cookie-cutter MMO, though it was probably more to do with the fact that after Phase 3 I figured out how to play these things and where the fuck I should be going :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I think the mages have cure anyway, though I might be wrong. I'm not 100% clear on the mage system yet.

BUT HUZZAH, WE HAVE A MAGE! <3

AvecAloes

Donator
Officially preordered ^_^

Also, I hope I get some sort of cure spell. I was at level 13 and hadn't learned any yet, though I know that's not really saying much.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Were people having a lot of problems getting kicked off the servers? I played on Anima on the Japanese side (since I got my code from my SE Members account which is on the Japanese site), but there was one person--the only person I ever saw who used text chat--that said it was a lot quieter on those servers than the US/EU ones.

But your characters are limited per world? To keep using the same character you have to stay in one world? This will be the first MMORPG I'd have ever played (besides a tiny bit of Ragnarok Online yeeeears ago), all these things confuse me.

I'm considering getting it, though. I only got to play for one evening (I registered for it but didn't think to check my spam folder for the email with the code so I missed a couple of days). I tried to play yesterday with a new character, but then got roped into doing something partway through the opening cutscene and by the time I came back was booted from the server and they were doing maintenance the whole time afterwards. I only got to level 11-ish, but had quite a lot of fun with it and perhaps more than I was expecting (but this is a genre I don't know much about so I don't know what is new or innovative or anything, I was just happy that they were using the word 'chocobo'). I like the F.A.T.E things, too. I did find some things like targeting a slight hassle and didn't completely get the hang of it by the time I finished.

I would probably go for the PS3 standard edition, but it's the subscription that I'm most unsure about. I will probably go by a month-by-month assessment as to whether I can manage and just pick it up later if I have to stop.

I also don't know if I should get the Japanese one (because then I get SEM points that I can never really use for anything, but have to deal with subscribing overseas) or the UK one (which makes subscribing easier because it'd be local).

And did the English version have language options? (There was English, Japanese, French, and German for voice at least in the JP version.) I like the idea of having the option of French and German for a future when I might study those. And Japanese because reasons.

Splintered

unsavory tart
My first character was a dragoon, but like I said before, I ran into a 3201 error and was unable to log on for the rest of the time- which was most of the beta.

The only way around it was to log into a Japanese server, so I made another character (superfantastic okyes) and went the gladiator route so I could become a paladin because I heard tanks are always in short supply. Of course, i don't actually know how to tank but whatever.

Also, the Japanese servers were swamped with 3201 error migrants. That's all people were talking in the chat and a good number of people I ran into were named after some variation of 3201.

I was going to mention the, no one wants to be a tank thing. As a dragoon I was in Gridania but my second character ended up in Ul'dah since the class determines which city you go to. At first I though that Japanese servers weren't as populated because while there were a good number of people there, it was no where near the bustle of my first character's city.

Then out of sheer curiosity, I started sprinting across the world to see what monsters I could find. The highest I managed to see was around level 35 until I began to notice that the monsters started to get familiar again (there's different monsters around different cities) and I realized I was near Girdania. So I made it across the world to the city and I have to say, Girdania is much more populated than Ul'dana.

I figured it was because they had archers, white mages, and the dragoons and those would be more popular (Ul dana has gladiators, Arcanis, and Pugilists). So what he says makes sense.

I wish there was a way to transfer characters into a certain server. After the beta I doubt I'll be forced into a Japanese server again so it'll be dead. And I'd rather not start all over again. I managed to get around level 14 again, and then picked up a white mage/conjurist skill class and was in the midst of playing around with that but the beta ended. *shrugs*

Lex

Administrator
When you create a character you choose a server and the character is saved to that server, at least in the Beta. I'm not sure if that's how it's going to work when the game is released, but if you create a character on a server (World) you were stuck on that server.

I didn't really have any problems, I got booted once but the Cerberus server is mobbed because it's the first on the list that's listed as EU (shouldhavegoneshiva.org) and then I had to queue to get back in, but other than that I played in 6 hour straight sessions without issues pretty much.

The English version did have language options, yes. I don't know if there was a Japanese language option though, I can't remember. I definitely remember being given the option to change languages on the launcher though.

FATE's are awesome <3

Splintered

unsavory tart
I love Fates, the targeting is a bit wonky but there's a good feeling of insanity in it. Spontaneously working with others is really fun.

But they're so much easier in Girdania when there are more people. There was a couple of times on the level 12~13 fates in Uldana I would run into and realize I was the only one there and get crushed. Or there were only two or three of us and it was us trying to stay alive. Which was also kind of fun, but in a frantic, oh shit kind of way.

Lex

Administrator
I think they'd do well to move some of the classes elsewhere for that very reason. I've said this before, but I couldn't believe how busy Gridania was and it was my starting place so I was a bit overwhelmed, but then when I visited Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah I noticed the difference. Also Gridania itself is a bit smaller than those places so the effect is kinda amplified, or maybe I just feel that way because it was so crowded. I know that I spent quite a bit of time in the other two cities and was still confused about where I was going, they have a more complicated layout than the two screens that comprise Gridania.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Uldana is more confusing, especially with the stairs and trying to remember where everything is. Gridania is more straight forward but people are crammed in there, and old grandia is kind of boring. I perfer Ul'dana.

Speaking of which, while Fates are more fun in Gridania, those quests where you've got to farm a certain monster can be a bitch. Because there were times when it feel like the entire city has the same quest and it was a struggle just trying to find the monsters before someone else got them. In a place as packed as Gridania It was like you were fighting the players rather than the actual monsters.

How is Lisma Losmia by the way? It's the only city I didn't get to see.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I was never booted once from Anima, but I purposefully did the 'pick one lower on the list' thing. But I can't say I saw a mass of people in Ul'daha. Outside there were a fair few, and when I played the FATEs had a good number of people.

According to this there is language options, I'm hoping it will extend to text as well:
http://www.gameskinny.com/5ct8h/fin...cutscenes-japanese-language-option-in-phase-4

I will probably get the download version, but probably not straight away anyway so I can wait a bit to see about the text.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
How is Lisma Losmia by the way? It's the only city I didn't get to see.

Limsa Lominsa* It's gorgeous. But it's the one I know the least as my second class in Phase 3 was Pugilist. But it's a maze of platforms and walkways over the water with pirate ships docked everywhere and all bright white buildings. And there's a ferry that takes you to Costa Del Sol.

When I was playing Phase 3 I didn't consciously notice that Gridania was more crowded that Ul'dan. Now that I think back after hearing that I can see it, but it didn't find that the other towns were sparse or anything.

Also, yes, I ordered it...

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Ul'dan is a nice enough place in its own right, with a very strong visual theme, but I think Limsa Lominsa has always been the most amazing-looking out of the lot. At least, for me, anyway. It has a beautiful palette, whereas Ul'dan is all dusty browns and stony greys and cactus green, lol.

But your characters are limited per world? To keep using the same character you have to stay in one world? This will be the first MMORPG I'd have ever played (besides a tiny bit of Ragnarok Online yeeeears ago), all these things confuse me.

Yeah I believe the character you use is restricted to that server. We all picked Cerberus because AMI WAS THE ONE WHO PICKED IT and we were basically all let's-follow-the-leader~

Lex

Administrator
Guys, it's UL'DAH ffs :desu:

Limsa Lominsa is my favourite city stylistically for sure. I spent a great deal of time roaming the areas around it for fun, the music in that area is some of my favourite too. And the other areas felt sparse in the sense that there were about a quarter of the number of players in them compared to Gridania, which by comparison was totally mobbed. SE might want to consider moving some of the starting classes to another region, but it's a bit late for that now :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
the english names confuse me because they don't match the japanese ones (ul'dah has an 'a' at the end, there's no 'd' in 'nard' or the other one) :sadpanda:

Lex

Administrator
Just a heads up guys, if you pre-ordered the game, the site to redeem your code (linked in your e-mail) is now open, I'm downloading the game as I type :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
now i wish i had made up my mind/had the disposable income where i could make such purchases on a whim

Top Bottom