The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Splintered

unsavory tart
I have yet to do a group raid thing, just because I'm kind of scared too. I like playing solo but I suppose I would have to sometime.

Okay there are paladins here, what do people suggest for attribute distribution: strength or vitality.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
The consensus seems to be all VIT. STR will only slightly increase your damage output and block strength. I was looking at some numbers and putting all 30 points into strength only gives you something like 1-2% more damage reduction on a block. The extra damage is not really important as our abilities generate enough enmity already. The extra HP seems to be much more beneficial.

Lex

Administrator
As a DPS I went with strength and vit - more into one that I can't remember. I just don't like how squishy the DPS's are so

wait I really hate using "DPS" to describe damage classes, let's switch to DD

don't like how squishy the DD''s are so I like having slightly higher HP.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
^I agree. That term has confused me from the start. I know what it stands for, but it doesn't seem to apply to a character.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it is strange to use DPS. You are a "damage per second" class? Doesn't really work that well. That aside, it is perfectly acceptable for a DD to put some points into VIT. For lancers or pugilists, STR is the number one stat to take, but at the same time you WILL get hit at some point so having some more HP helps the healers and the party as a whole as well.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What's hard to follow about "DPS"? Double penetrations, yo -- which sounds like a perfectly accurate abbreviation for group work for the lot of you. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah I mean like the principle of combat is that the tank has the enemy's attention in front while the rest of the group gang on it from the back

:wacky:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hi gaiz I finally have this game too.

I will now engage in that ritual all fresh installs of MMO's go through; spend a day downloading a billion GB of patches and updates.

Edit: Actually that wasn't too bad. Yet. I started a character (busty hume in a corset (off course) called
lolo_zps1cbcfc86.png
(off course)). First impressions are good; game start isn't confusing or mainly aimed at experienced / returning players like many other MMO's are. No voice acting for most NPC's; this is kinda disappointing, but then, iirc only TOR has it, and they had a massive budget. If the game becomes successful, I hope they splurge on adding voice acting to existing NPC's / characters, would make the game feel less dead / static.

The music is pretty damn good, :monster:

Hehehe, seven hells.

Oh, off course, skimpy-dressed cat people dancing. Japs, :wacky:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Pfft, typical Great Old One. Every name rolls off the tongue, unless you use an actual FF name like Cloud Strife. Then they're like, "Oh, I remember someone with that name ..." or something along the lines of it.

I'm literally one level away from Paladin, I will reach it!

Sick to death of people blaming me yet again for Brayflox Longstop. We got to the final boss and they're moaning I take too much damage. But there's nothing wrong with my armour, it's all up to date with my level. Screw them, I'm coming back as a Paladin. Let them moan THEN.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Haters gonna hate. I just remembered the word; minmaxing. Or just 'being perfect' or 'optimal', i.e. as good as possible. For a tank, maximum damage resistance and aggro, for DPS, max... DPS. :monster:

I'm outside Ul'Dah now. Kill ten rats. Kill me, too.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Pfft, typical Great Old One. Every name rolls off the tongue, unless you use an actual FF name like Cloud Strife. Then they're like, "Oh, I remember someone with that name ..." or something along the lines of it.

I'm literally one level away from Paladin, I will reach it!

Sick to death of people blaming me yet again for Brayflox Longstop. We got to the final boss and they're moaning I take too much damage. But there's nothing wrong with my armour, it's all up to date with my level. Screw them, I'm coming back as a Paladin. Let them moan THEN.
So far I haven't gotten anyone rude but I've only done the three early dungeons so I'm assuming everyone there isn't as hardcore. I'd actually be nervous about the upper levels.

What's everyone's crafting/land job? I'm and armorer level 11 but should I be trying to level that class up first?

AvecAloes

Donator
I'm a level 14 or 15 (I think, I don't really remember) goldsmith, but I hardly do anything with it. Hence not even remembering what level I'm at.

I'm a level 30 Summoner now in addition to my level 41 (I think) Black Mage. Wooo :D

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
My current class levels (at least the ones worth mentioning) are level 50 Paladin, level 31 Monk, level 20 Fisher, level 22 Botanist, and level 27 Culinarian. :D

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I reached Paladin AND aced Brayflox Longstop. I'd call that progress lately. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm level 14 or something and... the game is pretty grindy. Just flipping through quests, mostly. It's not as tl;dr as WoW was, but the rest of the formula adds up. As it stands, I don't think I'll renew the subscription (based on two days, lolol)

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Well, the game becomes more fun IMO around level 20. But, saying that, it is definitely a themepark MMO PvE type of game.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I'm getting absurdly efficient at levequests. Went from 0-17 on my botany in just a few hours. Finally found moko grass. :V

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I have like 80 levequests allowances saved up. I need to use em all up on my crafting/gathering classes pretty soon.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
So, I've kept a log of quests I just did.

#1: Kill six rats frogs
#2: Deliver this thing
#3: Interact with 8 objects
#4: Acquire 6 objects by killing rats
#5: Interact with 3 objects which are all situated in a 3 meter radius
Random fate event appears: Kill X rats frogs
#6: Kill this fellow. Some story bits
#7: Deliver this thing. Bonus: Get decent pants. Armored warrior chick running around in leather underwear just looks odd.
#8: Deliver this doodad

etc. Gets kinda repetitive, :monster:. The last couple story missions were pretty neat though... in a way. Not nearly as good as any non-MMO game, but still.

Top Bottom