The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Actually, while I can't say I never skip through inconsequential dialogue, I thought they've done a good job of giving NPC's and their quests some personality.

Yeah, for awhile I was skipping quest dialogue, but I forced myself to slow down and read everything. I discovered that many NPCs have lots of clever things to say. You also see quite a bit of emotion from some of them. Of course, none of it really adds to the narrative as a whole. They are just kind of little personal stories that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. There are some quests in Coerthas that describe more of the nature of the people up there though, which is interesting.

But Yop, it doesn't seem like they set out to revolutionize MMOs, which maybe is your problem with the game? Same gameplay but different skin? I still really enjoy this type of game, but I can see where you are coming from.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They tried innovation in 1.0 and it was a mess, so they decided to go for the Uncharted route and really polish existing paradigms.

As someone with minimal MMO exposure, its great. Less so for people that have played every mmo over the last decade. But there's something wrong with them anyway :monster:

Misha Mie

Rookie Adventurer
main story line : ok, not great
class quest lines: good
dungeons: fun, but can get repetetive
everything else: grind

My trial is up on the 6th, and I haven't decided what I want to do yet. I skip all the quest text ("yeah yeah, you need me to kill 10 spiders or something... got it"), except the main story and class stories. it wouldn't be so bad if the main story/dungeons/class story kept you close to on-target for level, and it seems like for the most part it does, but every now and then there is a spot where you have 2-3 levels to grind out to get the wheels back on (22-25 was one, 28-30 was another). the worst is when you need to level extra classes. basically I did the hunting logs and leves to level 1-15 on arcanist and it was soooo grindy... fast, but grindy. I've done similar stuff with a toon on another server and it's pretty awful.

take all this with a grain of salt: I'm only level 30, so I haven't seen probably half the game yet.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've played TOR, I guess I got spoiled with mission quality there, :monster:. Or well, quality in dressing up kill-ten-rats quests.

Off course, I shouldn't baw too much at the game; I've been playing eve, which can definitely top this one when it comes to tediousness, :monster:. I mean, I mined in that one. That involves flying to an asteroid belt, slowboating to one, locking an asteroid, and... turning on the mining lazars! Three minutes later, you have a wad of rocks in your pocket. A few of those three-minute cycles later, and you actually have to interact with the game (if you can call it that) to lock up and shoot at another asteroid. I don't know how I managed to invest the time in that one tbph.

I've tried the professions in FFXIV, which are... terribly boring. Not to mention there does not seem to be any point to them - I need some spending money to move around and on occasion repair an item, but other than that, money has little value in the game, so why spend time on a profession? I mean, compare it to Eve, where money is pretty much equal to progress - earn a billion, fly some of the best ships.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I'm only gonna to continue playing this game if a lot of others are going to. It's a fun game on its own but I play MMORPGs almost exclusively for the interaction between players and not the game itself (else I'd have given up on NW AGES ago).

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Yeah, for awhile I was skipping quest dialogue, but I forced myself to slow down and read everything. I discovered that many NPCs have lots of clever things to say. You also see quite a bit of emotion from some of them.

They also cuss like sailors. :monster:

What happens when we all reach lvl 99?

Also have those houses come in yet? >> Gotta get back in this game, been busy.

Misha Mie

Rookie Adventurer
It's a fun game on its own but I play MMORPGs almost exclusively for the interaction between players and not the game itself (else I'd have given up on NW AGES ago).

^^ This.

The game is a lot of fun when running dungeons or something where your role matters and you have a group to work with. running around solo the tedious factor gets up there (though nowhere near Eve ;) )

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Yes, and all those magical moments that just don't exist if you're not playing together. Sometimes you can run into assholes who make the game less enjoyable, but when running with a crowd you know and like, it gets awesome.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Oh I definitely won't company unless it's arranged through the FC. Don't know why I haven't done it yet, I keep getting sidetracked with leveling up my crafting jobs (all of em.) D8

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well, Eve has groups of hundreds of people playing together in massive coordinated battles. BEAT DAT.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
If anything, the game encourages you to play together. Take the duties, for instance. You have to play with three other people and you should interact to get through it together. 90% of people I've met are brilliant, 5% arseholes and 5% weirdos.

Do the math, or think of the mental imagery. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Duties? So far they seem like semirandom events random people are just drawn to, hit anything you can hit until it's over, and amble off to whatever you were up to before. I don't see it.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
You can't get any further into the story without them, though. Think about that one.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
if it is a story event, it'll go "GO DO THIS", you do it, and the 'story' progresses. Yawn.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

There is an actual story behind all of it, though. Not bothering to read the text/scrolling past everything doesn't preclude its existence.

Just saiyan'.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I admittedly skipped through all the story stuff up til about level 15. I can't skip it now because I'm interested and it's a lot better than I expected of it, going into this as a fantasy mmo.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Naw I think we're talking about the actual dungeons atm

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Dungeons = Duties
FATES = Random events that happen on the map

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Speaking of duties, queuing for Ifrit. First party one guy left and I couldn't figure out how to re-add people.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Well, I got the game, and am presently installing it.

Anyone last words of advice anyone wish to give to me?

Top Bottom