The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Lex

Administrator
Awesome :)

I'm gonna do some T10 training in the DF today then try and clear it, I think I'm good on the mechanics. I'll just attack them one at a time until I know what the score is then hopefully farm 10-12 for as much gear as I can. T13 I'd love to clear but I'm not too bothered about farming unless I manage to clear it in time.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Honestly, I like it a lot. Some people in my other FC were saying how they skip every cutscene and it made me sad. It's really the only reason I'm still playing the game. Because without the plot and atmosphere, it's just another (albeit very polished) MMO.

It takes full advantage of having a persistant world, dealing with both world crises and the political aftermath of such things. Betrayals and plot twists are sometimes obvious and sometimes surprises, but I like that unpredictability in and of itself. As previously mentioned, it name-drops a LOT of Final Fantasy nostalgia, but nearly all of it well integrated and doesn't feel at odds with anything that's going on.

I just finished the story over the weekend which involved a really really long batch of cutscenes. And I was pretty engrossed the whole time. Really, the only thing I came away wishing was that it wasn't an MMO so that my character could actually do something about what's happening, rather than having to be kept nondescript and general.

It can be unnecessarily wordy on frivolous things, but on the whole, I have really enjoyed it.

Lex

Administrator
The smaller quests even are well thought out, but the dialogue is super duper lengthy. I think this game has the most long-winded dialogue of any game I've ever played.

I liked the story (and will probably continue to do so, since it's not going to be over for however many years) and the ending in 2.55 kind of blew me away. To the point where I sat shell-shocked watching the credits screen going "did that really just happen!?". Only a good thing in my book :P

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I liked the story, too. I didn't like people bitching at me just because I wanted to experience it and watch the cutscenes, only since they wanted to get on with the fighting. However, during the last part of the main story and the 16-player dungeon, I didn't get bitched at and a few of them even wished me good luck.

Sometime soon, I'm probably either going to play through the cutscenes or watch them on YouTube.

Lex

Administrator
Tbh the only time I've ever seen people bitching at others for watching cutscenes is in Praetorium and that's because the cutscenes in there total half an hour in length. Castrum has some pretty lengthy ones too. They've mitigated this somewhat by giving an extra 100 soldiery when someone new is doing it.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I've been trying to avoid Heavensward trailers, since one has spoiled the ARR ending for me pretty bad I think, 5 minutes in.

I had to switch servers just for the smoother bandwidth, which is much nicer in transitioning zones now.

As for parsers, I don't really get too hung up with combat since the tank usually moves around a lot. DOTs > combos > repeat whenever timers run out on anything

I tried Rogue for awhile, and I like the range blade attack. But I still like Monk because it just drains the hit points out of targets. I just wish it had a range attack that didn't have to wait 3 minutes to recharge.

EDIT: Unrelated, saw this the other day about there being a possible RedXIII mount-- I like the explanation about how they're going about introducing fan stuff: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/06/01/how-heavensward-is-taking-final-fantasy-xiv-forward

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
My only problem with cut scene watchers is in stuff beyond the castrum and praetorium that is pretty much on constant farm to progress your character and ilevel, who then get mad at you for being left behind.

Even though the cut scenes are short in stuff like ST, Lab or WoD there are 23 other people there for the most part just looking to get through it quick and dont want to wait up for someone who can just watch it at any time at the Inn or on youtube. At the very least ask if people are cool with cut scene watching and dont just assume 23 other people are going to wait up for you when they are just looking to get 100 or so tomes of soldiery and maybe a drop.

On the flip side I think the cut scenes and story are cool but I think its executed a little poorly but i understand why they did it. I just legit dont like having to click after every dialogue prompt to progress the dialogue. Maybe there is an option to switch this off but its tedious on some of the longer cut scenes.

Similarly some cut scenes are much longer then they need to be and it ramps up the tediousness even more. The cut scene for opening Syrcus Tower comes to mind, there was no reason to show each individual gate being destroyed separately. With the dialogue and visual language they used it was very easy to see what would happen after the first gate was destroyed. No need to show me this 30 second long interaction 3 more times :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Pre-orders are finally up on Steam and PSN. I've already ordered it on Steam and put my code through mogstation :monster:

Early access here I comeeeeeeeee <3

There's an issue where if you used the PS3-PS4 upgrade option when you got a PS4, you can't pre-order it. Sony is working on it apparently.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I pre ordered a physical copy for my PS4, where do you get the early access code from for Steam? I thought Steam did it automatically.

I would say the single worst moment i've had in FFXIV was the Castrum & Praetorium, I did them back when they were still good content for grinding Tomes and I refused to not watch the cutscenes. Safe to say I missed all the fights, if I ever go there I let the newbies watch them just because it sucked so much for me. The story has been brilliant so far, I really wanted to go on a rampage in Ul'dah after though.

Lex

Administrator
When you buy something through Steam it gives you a CD-Key that you can access any time. In the case of HW it lists all the CD-Keys, so there's "pre-order bonus" and "Heavensward CE" (one new key for each). In Mog Station you have to add the pre-order bonus key to your service account (I think the button is called pre-order early access or something) and it changes your account type to "Heavensward Early Access". There's no place to put the actual heavensward key in yet.

Apparently people who ordered through SE got their codes emailed out. I'm reading on reddit that people who ordered the physical editions haven't had their codes emailled yet so I guess it's just a waiting game for now. I assume this is because some people aren't charged until the order is dispatched.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Did you get the keys in a separate email? I've only got the one thats a receipt.

Edit: Don't worry found it :)

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
^I'm glad :D. No, when you buy a game through steam there's an option to list your keys so that's how I got mine. Anybody else (PC/PS3/PS4 pre-order) would have them emailed out.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Yep I noticed just after I posted, I only built my PC a couple of months ago so I'm still getting used to how it runs. I've got the PS4 and Steam versions now, so hopefully early access won't mess up :D

By the way if you have pre ordered the physical PS4 version and registered your code on the Mogstation you can now put that code in on PSN and download a 1.7gb client or something (it hasn't appeared on my dashboard yet).

Lex

Administrator
You should note that this will only work if your version of XIV is a PC retail copy. Steam users must use steam to upgrade.

Lex

Administrator
All worlds maintenance on the 18th-19th for HW <3

[Date & Time]
Jun. 18, 2015 2:00 a.m. to Jun. 19, 2015 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
* Completion time is subject to change.
[Affected Worlds]
All Worlds

Lex

Administrator
^Assume nothing. The way to deal with it is to try to log in before maintenance ends, because servers usually go back up an hour or so early.

Also just a general note, you'll be kicked from the game if you afk for more than 30 minutes.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'll be joining you later this year, I cancelled my preorder because a) can't afford it and b) got other games to be playing before this. Also c) still got other post-game stuff to do. But do please let me know how it's going in here. I'm still quite hyped for it, despite not being able to buy it anymore.

Top Bottom