The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
I'm just bitter because I've spent hours in the game hitting 1, 2 and 3 in a row, :monster:. 4 and 5 were added at top level / expansion I think.

I may also be quite bad at the game, but then, tanking4lyf.

Are you a Paladin? If so, that sounds about right :P

Before level 40>Flash>Flash>Fast Blade>Savage Blade>Rage of Halone>FB>SB>Halone>Flash>FB>SB>Halone>Flash inserting whatever shield skills are necessary.

After 40-50, same as above, only apply Shield Oath.

50-60, it finally opens up with Goring Blade and Royal Authority. I love 60 Paladining.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yeah, I've got 3/4 of the pet hotbar on my normal hotbars so I can micro-manage my pets. And I am so ready to get the pre-3.0 Main Quests over with. Summoner's get a lot more burst AOE damage with their new skills.

My current Lvl. 50 Summoner "Opening" starts like this on trash mobs:

Bio2/(Aerial Slash)>Miasma/Bio>(Contagion)/Bane>Miasma2(only if there's 3+ mobs)>Swiftcast/Shadow Flare>Ruin2>

After that it's keeping Shadow Flare, Bio2, Miasma and Bio up, making my pet use Aerial Slash whenever it's not on cooldown, and using Ruin2 on the tank's current target when there's nothing else to do. Every 60 sec, Aetherflow is cast which gives 20% MP and three Aether stacks which are used for Bane (spreads DOTs to nearby enemies) and Fester (100 potency damage for each DOT on target except Miasma2; it's our only real burst skill). So every 20 sec I'll ether spread the DOTs around again or do burst damage if there's 2 or less mobs.

On bosses, my Lvl. 50 Summoner "Opening" works out like this:

Cast Shadow Flare right outside of the boss' Hitbox before the pull

Raging Strikes/Bio2>Miasma/Bio>Fester/(Contagion)>Spur/Rouse/Enkindle>Swiftcast/Shadow Flare/(Aerial Slash)>Ruin2

After that it's the same thing as last time, only I'm now mixing in all the buffs I have. And I'm also having to manually switch my pet to attack adds (they keep attacking the first enemy that attacked them first if I don't). Usually, adds are too far apart for Bane to spread the DOTs, so it's better to manually cast DOTs on them one at a time.

I'd probably get around to optimizing both openings a lot more if I didn't know I'd be getting five more moves that change how the entire opening works once I get to the 3.0 stuff.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah Paladin, idk, :monster:. I did it for Heavensward because it was my top leveled jerb. Little did I realize the grind to top level would take tl;dr. I don't think I'm at top level even. Haven't played it in a bit, the grind kinda got to me. TL;DR, I just can't enjoy MMO's :monster:. Mostly because all the action (???) is at top level. Although action is just more grind.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I would say open with Shadow Flare as you can pre cast it to go off with the tanks countdown and save your swiftcast+shadow flare for the second one.

I can't give too many pointers for Smn though only at the points where it matches Scholar you have the right priority with your DoTs though Bio 2 > Miasma > Bio is definitely the way to go.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The problem with Shadow Flare is that it has a longish cast time and it really depends on the tank. On bosses, it's easy to pre-cast it right next to the hitbox as the tank is pulling it, but on trash mobs, it's only worth casting it if I know where they're going to pull... which is like never. Also, Shadow Flare has an overall potency of 250, which is nearly the same as Bio1. If I don't know where mobs are getting pulled yet, I'd rather cast Bio2+Bio1+Bane as that's more then double the damage of Shadow Flare and takes the same time to cast and mobs don't have to be positioned correctly for it to work.

Basically, if the tank keeps mobs in the first few Shadow Flares I cast, then I'll keep doing it, otherwise... it's not worth it.

And there's a new patch out!

Revenge of the Hoard (3.3) Notes

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If I'm fairly confident that I'm not gonna have to raise anyone for the next 60 seconds (i.e. not a boss), I usually use my insta-cast for Shadow Flare.

But I am far from a peak-DPS enthusiast.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^I wish they had that practice mode for all the Raids, not just the Heavenwards ones. 'Cause I've finally unlocked the first set of Bahamut Coils and the Library of the Ancients and it would be really nice to be able to learn how those bosses work without messing up everyone else's runs. Yes, I'm taking the "Transmogs are the endgame" approach...

Little stuff I like: Multiple HUDs (and they've got an inline command so you can macro it!), being able to uncheck quests so they don't show up on screen, getting rid of the quest list during instanced duties.

In other news, I kinda wish the Gathering and Crafting Classes synced up better. Lvl. 1 Miners mine the Lvl. mats for Armorer, Goldsmith and Blacksmith and that works great. But Botanists don't harvest the Lvl. 1 Weaver mats until Lvl. 10, but they do harvest the Lvl. 1 Carpender mats at Lvl. 1... and meanwhile, Cooking, Fishing and Leatherworker are all over the place. At least Leatherworker is very controllable as most mats for it are gotten though killing the correctly level monsters...

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I will be on later today (Cerberus) if anyone wants to run the new dungeons. First thing I am doing though is getting the new relic quest and spending some of my poetics and esoterics, as they are both close to cap.

Lex

Administrator
3.3 is pretty good! Done all the new dungeons. People have real trouble with the new 24-man, I haven't managed to clear it yet though I do know what I'm doing. Back at it tomorrow, bed for me now.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Loving the new patch.

Be sure to do the quest that opens in Fortemps manor after you finish the Main Scenario. It gave me the feels.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Loving the new patch.

Be sure to do the quest that opens in Fortemps manor after you finish the Main Scenario. It gave me the feels.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
3.3 is pretty good! Done all the new dungeons. People have real trouble with the new 24-man, I haven't managed to clear it yet though I do know what I'm doing. Back at it tomorrow, bed for me now.

Yeah, they definitely seemed to have increased the difficulty compared to Void Ark. I did however manage to clear it with my first group last night. Things almost fell apart at the second boss, as we wiped a few times and people started leaving. But once some new people joined we managed to down the rest of the raid. Fun times.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I finally got a chance to do the new 24 man last night, the animations and phases for Ozma were amazing, definitely better than VA. We had some really rude players on our first attempt, started to flame us because we wanted to do the raid blind (without being told mechanics), then both their groups wiped and blamed us because we didn't want to be told the mechanics (even though we are still 8/8 alive at this point), anyway that group disbanded and we ended up with an alliance of mostly first timers and went onto kill every boss second pull except for the first and last which went down 1st try :D.

But damn Materia is going to make me poor, I got the i240 Midan legs and 2X Twines this week, now I need 5X Accuracy +12 Materia -_-

Lex

Administrator
I'm not a crafter so the new materia system was starting to grate until I realised that you can swap mhachi things for Grade V materia and there's now a little dude that'll do the melds for you in Idyllshire <3

Everything I read for DRG tells me to go pure Crit/Det (ye olde faithful) but I'm wondering if I'll need Acc too. I did affix two savage might V to my new i240 legs yesterday after clearing weeping city, that felt nice :D

Thinking about using the raid finder for A5S, finally give that a go.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I think the Midas accuracy caps are on reddit somewhere, I doubt you would need to meld accuracy though, I only need to do it because Healer gear doesn't have any, SE doesn't want to make us feel like we have to DPS I guess.

This is the Dragoon in my statics build, I'm not sure if that will help you plan out yours at all as his is set up for A8S now.

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5547605/

Lex

Administrator
Ooooo nice, most of the midan pieces in that build can be picked up from A5S. They got rid of the weekly lockout this patch right? He only has Acc melded to the crafted body gear, so my build would end up looking different since I'm sticking with the lore body for now.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Man I need to get back into this game, stopped playing about halfway into my relic weapon quest so god knows how far behind I am now.

Got the whole week off work but no money so I can't even get a 60 day time card which sucks.

Lex

Administrator
YoshiP visited the Behemoth server ;-;

q3oPUTJ.jpg

Come to Cerberus Yoshi, we'll take good care of you <3

Top Bottom