The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
After a long break I've actually started playing again, it's nice to be back, went and did Nidhogg Ex which is probably the easiest Primal to date, it took us 2 lock outs to kill it and it was everyones first time (think one or two people read a guide) but everything is so straight forward.

Helped some random newbie Static learn A6S as well, they got the the Swindler quite a few times, which is good considering it was their 1st/2nd time in there. It was a lot of fun, If anyone wants to do any trials of raids sometime let me know.

Lex

Administrator
I tried for the longest time to get a group for A6S and never managed to successfully queue.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I tried for the longest time to get a group for A6S and never managed to successfully queue.

I haven't paid attention for a while, but there must be training groups etc up every now and again. I'm happy to help if we can find another 6 players.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Woop!

20160819085321_1_by_0bsidianfire-daemlgf.jpg

Which now means I have more gil to go around into things like... oh, my room...

20160819085244_1_by_0bsidianfire-daemlgl.jpg

Currently leveling Astrologian and Dark Night for my main healer and tank classes.

I'm really loving Astrologian, probably becasue it's got the least complicated set of heals in the game, as in, it's obvious which heal should be used when. White Mage and Scholar have so many different heals (with different effects/cds) that picking which one I should be using gets overwhelming. And then there's the Astro's card system which is really fun to play with. It makes me feel like I'm supporting the rest of the party without having to resort to DPSing as a healer. Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the RNG part of that system is a perk not a bug...

I went with Dark Night ultimately because I mostly run dungeons and it's got the easiest to use AOE moves/aggro gen. Or at least it does once Blood Price becomes available. Paladin has way too many CDs for me to like it, and while I like Warrior just fine, it's annoying that most of it's good AOE moves are locked behind 5 stacks of Wrath/Defiance and it's best just to use the Paladin's AOE move so the Warrior doesn't chew though TP just to generate aggro. Dark Night behaves a lot more like an AOE mage with really weird MP generation that can do okay physical single target damage, but at least I never worry about loosing aggro.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Dark Knight and Warrior are both waaaaaaaaaaaay more complicated than Paladin for post-50 content, though. Pally is by far the easiest tank to play.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I love Warriors when it comes to Tanks, they do the most damage and are self sustaining which means I can top them up with Eos and go nuts on the dps.

By the way guys my old static recently called it quits so I've now transfered to Ragnarok for a trial with Solitude, I still have my alt on Cerberus but i still need to gear it.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
So apparently SE is capable of noticing absurd grinds and making them a lot easier then before...

This patch might as well be called The iLvl. 230-240 Weapon patch.

Ekion Weapons

It now costs 4 Midan Gears to get the High-Capacity Tombstone and there's no weekly limit on Midan Gear drops from Burden of the Son.

The material to upgrade the iLvl. 230 weapon to the iLvl. 240 weapon can now be bought the same way the mats to upgrade the armor and accessories is bought.

So no more long wait and Savage grinding for an iLvl. 240 weapon XD.

Anima Weapons

All the Unidentifiable materials can now be bought with any Allagan Tombstone/Allied Seal. The price has also been dropped to 300 Tobstones/Seals per mat.

The price of Unidentifiable mats in Beast Tribe currencies/Precision Gordian parts has been dropped to 3 (6 for the HW Beast Tribes).

Adamantite Francesca, Titanium Alloy Mirror, Dispelling Arrow, and Kingcake can all be bought for 5,000 Grand Company Seals each.

The number of Unidentifiable materials required for the trade-ins has been dropped to 10 and the other items no longer have to be HQ.

-------------------

So the big grind for Ekion Weapons is now the 3 weeks it takes to get 1000 Lore tombstones, not the 7 weeks for the Midian Gears. Nice.

And an Anima weapon is now 12k Tombstones or 12k Allied Seals or 120 Beast Tribe Currencies/Precision Gordian parts for all the Unidentifiable mats if you're only sticking to one currency and 100k Grand Company Seals for all the other items. Even better, the items don't have to be HQ anymore which is way easier for the craters to manage. There's going to be a lot more people with Anima weapons, especially as there's no stopping people from getting all the items before they have to do the Crystal grind.

So the big long expensive grind is now for the iLvl. 240 Awakened Weapon, but the grind for that was already pretty flexible as there's so many items that can be used for it. It's nice to see the time it takes to get to that grind significantly lessened.

Of course, the fact that it's a lot easier to get iLvl. 240 weapons most likely means that iLvl. 250 gear is coming in next patch...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It was kinda predictable though, it follows roughly the same progression as the vanilla endgame content, and I'm sure the next expansion will do the same.

Although I'd rather they do something else. I for one cba with the grind, and I'm doing well enough without ilvl 240 stuff (I'm at 205 overall now).

When would another expansion be announced? I should get on top of that as soon as it releases next time, instead of half-assing it months afterwards and leaving it for another few months, etc.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'd say we've got at least one more full patch to go before the 4.0 expansion is released, maybe more.

From a gameplay perspective, we still don't have the third part of Alexander released, Sephirot is the first of a group of primals called the triad, the Anima weapon line doesn't have it's version of the Zodiac Zeta yet, and the third 24-man raid has yet to be released.

From a storytelling perspective, the MQ at the end of the 2.0 patches ends with the WoL moving to a new area that was unaccessible at the time the quest finished. That's yet to happen in the 3.0 MQ, although there's a lot of hints in 3.3 that they'll probably be heading to Ala Migo next, nevermind all the stuff building with the remaining Ascians and Warriors of Darkness. Then there's also quest chains like Hilldibrand that haven't been concluded yet...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I know, I only just unlocked and done the second raid thingy. IIRC from vanilla, they first unlock the 3rd and all other endgame content, then add on a bit of storyline to connect it to the next expansion, and go from there.

It does depend on whether the game is still doing all right though. But, judging by the number of players I'm seeing, it doesn't look like it's doing badly at all.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Given that I'm playing when it's like oh, late at night to very early morning in Europe on a European server and I rarely have problems finding people to run content with, I'd say the game's population is doing pretty well. It certainly doesn't feel abandoned. I probably see at least one dungeon I do have people running it for the first time at least once every two days so I know that new people are still coming in.

Although, given FFXI is still running (ancient as it is compared to a lot of MMOs) and people are still playing it, I don't think SE will stop hosting FFXIV anytime soon, especially as FFXIV is a better designed MMO.

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
So apparently SE is capable of noticing absurd grinds and making them a lot easier then before...

This patch might as well be called The iLvl. 230-240 Weapon patch.

Ekion Weapons

It now costs 4 Midan Gears to get the High-Capacity Tombstone and there's no weekly limit on Midan Gear drops from Burden of the Son.

The material to upgrade the iLvl. 230 weapon to the iLvl. 240 weapon can now be bought the same way the mats to upgrade the armor and accessories is bought.

So no more long wait and Savage grinding for an iLvl. 240 weapon XD.

Anima Weapons

All the Unidentifiable materials can now be bought with any Allagan Tombstone/Allied Seal. The price has also been dropped to 300 Tobstones/Seals per mat.

The price of Unidentifiable mats in Beast Tribe currencies/Precision Gordian parts has been dropped to 3 (6 for the HW Beast Tribes).

Adamantite Francesca, Titanium Alloy Mirror, Dispelling Arrow, and Kingcake can all be bought for 5,000 Grand Company Seals each.

The number of Unidentifiable materials required for the trade-ins has been dropped to 10 and the other items no longer have to be HQ.

-------------------

So the big grind for Ekion Weapons is now the 3 weeks it takes to get 1000 Lore tombstones, not the 7 weeks for the Midian Gears. Nice.

And an Anima weapon is now 12k Tombstones or 12k Allied Seals or 120 Beast Tribe Currencies/Precision Gordian parts for all the Unidentifiable mats if you're only sticking to one currency and 100k Grand Company Seals for all the other items. Even better, the items don't have to be HQ anymore which is way easier for the craters to manage. There's going to be a lot more people with Anima weapons, especially as there's no stopping people from getting all the items before they have to do the Crystal grind.

So the big long expensive grind is now for the iLvl. 240 Awakened Weapon, but the grind for that was already pretty flexible as there's so many items that can be used for it. It's nice to see the time it takes to get to that grind significantly lessened.

Of course, the fact that it's a lot easier to get iLvl. 240 weapons most likely means that iLvl. 250 gear is coming in next patch...

This is the way it always works, we are about a month before 3.4 where the max weapon ilevel will most likely be 275, I Imagine gear will go like this...

Crafted/New normal difficulty raid = 250
Tome gear = 260
Upgraded Tome gear = 270
Weapon drop from final raid boss = 275

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I have to say though - but I might be wrong / may have been late - that it seems like it takes a lot more effort to get the ilvl high enough to do the 24 man (?) raids. I think when I first hit 50 it was more a matter of finding and doing the relevant quests than having to save up and buy equipment. But, could just be me.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Well, Lvl 50 raids are non-expansion raids. The iLvl requirements for Crystal Tower raids are 50, 70 and 90. Imagine trying to get into the first Crystal Tower raid with only the equips available from the very first Lvl 50 dungeons/primals released (Wanderer's Place (Normal) and Ifrit (Hard)); it's probably around the same difficulty as getting into the Weeping City Raid is now, if not harder as there was way less content back then.

The more Lvl 60 Dungeons and Primals get released, the easier it will be to get the iLvl needed for the Raids.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There is that. The game really has a fuckton of endgame content, although finding it all is either a matter of perseverence and really digging exploration, or looking up guides if you're lazy like me.

On that note, only two moar dungeons for unlocking the lvl 60 roulette.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
New stuff in the Mog Station. I've wanted Yugiri and Iceheart minions for months now, and Squeenix threw them both at me :D

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Pretty sure they were both part of an event last year? Either way I've had them for about that long. Love the way Iceheart stamps her foot in frustration when she can't transform. :D

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
Yup they were from last years The Rising event :) it was brilliant, to be fair the summer always has the best events Moonfire Faire and The Rising. If the Rising is like it usually is this year you will hear a haunting version of Answers being played in the event areas of Limsa, Ul'dah and Gridania.

In other news I nearly cleared A8S last night, We wiped to his final mechanic, my new static is really good so I think we will nail it next raid. I will probably stream it so I'll post a link up for you guys to watch if you want, will be Sunday 18:00 UK time.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
^ Yup. Grabbed my post from last year. ^_^

So 'The Rising' is happening right now. It's an event to commemorate the two-year anniversary of FFXIV:ARR. It's got a little questline along with some other typical event stuff. What's really cool, though, is the way this is overlapping with the 'Moonfire Faire' event which is also taking place right now.

You may already know that during the faire the cities get all decorated and fireworks even go off during the night to the Moonfire Faire celebratory music. Now, though, the music being played is from the anniversary event, which is a very chilling rendition of FFXIV's main theme. The result is night-time fireworks over a very nostalgic and haunting track. Excuse the eh quality and enjoy a video I just took.

Top Bottom