The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Did the first storyline duty finder thingy. It was fun, although I have no real idea what was going on during it aside from killing things and there was something about loot and whatnot :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I tried it out until level 10, it's... ehh, mehhh, etc. Does it get excite in later floors?
The floors have more rooms to explore, so it takes longer to find the next floor entrance and the debuffs get more annoying (no items, no regening health outside of combat, etc.). But since you can get iLvl. 235 weapons out of it? Way better for casuals who don't want to fight Savage/Extreme bosses over and over, or who don't want to wait two months for the Ekion weapon or who don't have the time or gill to get Hyperconductive Anima. I'm definetly not complaining about it yet.

It also provides a way to "preview" how classes work as your level in the Palace of the Dead is independent of your level in the rest of the game.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Oh, the biggest thing that changes with Palace of the Dead besides the funky dungeon rules is that the traditional party comp of 1 Tank/1 Healer/2 DPS isn't enforced, instead it's just the next four people in the dungeon queue (unless you're using a static party). This makes every run different in that you're forced to juggle different party comps and can make the run either very easy (one of each role + 1) or very difficult (all one role).

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I did PoTD for the first time last night, kind of got bored of it after an hour or so, I did the first two instances on my level 13 Rogue, liked how I could get a feel for the role quickly (you level up and unlock abilites so fast) but I found the actual fights and maps to be a bit too simple. I should really go and do Hidhogg at some point too I guess, the only reason I log on nowadays is to do A8S I kind of miss playing the game but there hasn't really been any content that I have liked for such a long time now.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lvl 42 on my MCH now, I think I should abandon the ol' paladin for a while and just level that one, I cba with tanking anymoar. At the very least I should get it on par, do that hunting stuff and shit that needs deeps with the MCH, the other stuff with the other dude.

Oh and I just cancelled my subscription because the Force isn't strong enough to get me to keep playing atm.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I haven't been on a while, I feel bad and really want to get back to it but I don't have the time.

I'ts free login for up to 120 hours right now so I might jump on play for a bit to finish the Heavensward story and work on the new relic weapon quests.

I'd buy a time card but with No Mans Sky coming out in two weeks it would be a waste of money as I will be playing that as of its launch.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
It definitely gets lonely in our FC sometimes lol. I took one break from the game for a few months starting in December 2013. I have been subbed for over two years straight since then. I love this game and plan on playing it indefinitely. So, I will hold down the fort (and our FC house) for everyone as they cycle in and out. ;)

I did get both the AC Cloud and Firion gear as veteran rewards recently, which are pretty sweet.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Update Time!

20160727102151_1_by_0bsidianfire-dabp72d.jpg

I'll probably end up glamoring it to look like my awakened weapon. There's other LCD weapons that I like the look of better (Dark Knight and Dragoon for starters). As it is, it looks like I'm holding a very thin laptop. XD

Considering that you get a iLvl 235 weapon out of it, Palace of the Dead is pretty good. Especially when you consider that the other iLvl 235 weapons are all gotten from Nidhogg Extreme... I'd say it's worth the grind especially now that the weapon/armor upgrade rate was buffed and you automatically get one upgrade point for defeating the Lvl 50 boss. It's also very controllable, so anytime you've got a class about to hit Lvl. 60, it wouldn't take that much effort to get them the iLvl 235 weapon as opposed to the iLvl. 210 weapon that's the current minimum standard. Long story short, this'll probably give casual's DPS a bump in the long term.

It's also nice if you've got a bunch of classes that aren't completely leveled yet and you want to know how those classes roughly pan out before committing to leveling them up the whole way. IE: I did both White and Black Mage and found out that I'm not a fan of their random proc mechanics. As far as tanks go... I did Paladin and noticed that it has hardly any mechanical depth (stances affect auto attacks and that's it) and a whole lot of cooldowns to manage. Warrior is a lot more interactive with less cooldowns to worry about. I'm probably going to run Astrologin and Dark Knight though it to see if my suspicions that I'll like Astrologin are correct and to figure out if I'll like Dark Knight better then Warrior or not.

On the Anima weapon front...

Done with the Poetics grind, half done with the Esoterics and Gil grind. And the Esoterics grind is doing fine. The gil grind on the other hand... well, let's just say that the market board is feeling the increase in crystal drop rates and therefore the demand for the HQ turn-ins. The HQ items are on the rise in price and are now averaging 200k for one item. Some of them have gone up to 250k. Which highlights how bad of an idea needing items that can only be crafted for Relic Weapons is. Since Crafting/Gathering isn't necessary for practically all the game content, there's nowhere near the amount of craters/gatherers to keep up with the demand of items. So yeah... at current prices, I've got about 1.8Mil to go, probably more...

Random Stuff

Just need to get Dragoon and Monk soul stones to have access to all jobs!

Started farming ARR Extreme Trials for ponys, crafting mats, orchestron roll fragments and weapons. I've currently got the Garuada and Ifrit ponys and have Ifrit's rare crafting mat and orchestron roll. I've also got Shiva's rare crafting mat.

I now have 120 Triple Triad cards, which is where the achievements for the number of Triple Triad cards you have stop. For the record, there's 153 cards in the game.

Current iLvl is 230. Next on the upgrade list is all my accessories as all my armor is iLvl. 230 or higher while most of my accessories are still iLvl. 220.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So I'm currently re-downloading this for the free login period. Going to see about getting post-game content and making a new character, just to play on the same server with some friends. If it goes down well, I might end up staying on. It's been two years since I've played and I'm looking forward to it!

And if I still want to play by the time I've done the post-game content, I'll more than likely download Heavensward. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
In the middle of preparing first-time setup and OH MY GOD, THE THEME.

THE FEELS.

I'VE MISSED THIS.

It's like something's awoken inside of me.

tumblr_inline_mlxv0fIYR31qz4rgp.gif

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
MMO's tend to do that, at least up until you get to the 3000th kill ten rats quest :monster:

Also is it me or is the main quest just a chain of "go to this location for the next dialog / story bit" and a duty / dungeon here and there?

Currently a bit stuck in progression, I need to get my ilvl up to 170 or so before I can do the next dungeon. Grinding yay.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Isn't the main storyline of every JRPG ever basically "go to the next place for the next bit of story/dialogue and a dungeon here and there?"

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Sorta? But then that's pretty much what every FF game since FF2 has been doing, (go to location, get cutscene + dungeon + boss) so I'm not all that bothered by it. Incidentally, you can rewatch all the cut-scenes from every single quest you've done by going to an Inn and clicking on the desk called The Unending Journey. This includes all the dungeon, raid and trial cutscenes too.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah on that note, I don't know why I keep rambling about MMO's lack of original content that much, given how most games are basically like that :monster:. IDK, I guess the rewards in those is mostly different (better?) storytelling. Even if before they did cutscenes that wasn't really any better from what they do now. IDK :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Got back into it tonight, just did a CUL quest and a bit of exploring.

Taking slow baby steps right now. :)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So I did a thing for Joe's birthday. I did a pencil drawing portrait of his XIV character. ^_^ Figured I'd post it in this thread first since he insisted. :D

raya_na_arcise_by_bahamutdeusmodus-dadapxj.jpg

image_by_bahamutdeusmodus-dadaqn4.jpg

Special thanks to Lex for telling me the name of the character :awesome:

Top Bottom