The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Scholar is by far my favorite healer, though I LOVE the flexibility and utility that the Astrologian brings.

Summoner has once again taken its spot as my favorite DPS, with Dragoon being a close second.

Hot damn omega, when are we gonna get a beer? Between Tactics and this post....

With Avec starting a tank, I feel like I should start a healer in case we never want to wait in a queue again. As a summoner I am most drawn to scholar, but having put my stats in for summoner, I can't be a good scholar :(

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Scholar is by far my favorite healer, though I LOVE the flexibility and utility that the Astrologian brings.

Summoner has once again taken its spot as my favorite DPS, with Dragoon being a close second.

Hot damn omega, when are we gonna get a beer? Between Tactics and this post....

With Avec starting a tank, I feel like I should start a healer in case we never want to wait in a queue again. As a summoner I am most drawn to scholar, but having put my stats in for summoner, I can't be a good scholar :(

Your Grand Company sells books that let you redistribute stat points. It's annoying to switch back and forth, but you could always just get a bunch of seals and stock up on those.

AvecAloes

Donator
Yeah, the crappiest thing about my character on Cerberus is that my highest job (BLM) is only at level 50....I'd have to get through the Heavensward Content to get that fully caught up, haha. I believe I only have DPS classes with her, as well, which is a bit of a drag as far as queuing for dungeons and whatnot goes, but schmeeb :monster:

I thought this thread was about this:

jP4yz0n.png

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I just hit level 20 and did the first raid, Sastasha. Spent about 90% of the time looking at the party list. That's probably normal for a healer, right? :P

The game doesn't seem designed to encourage low-level exploration or sidequesting at all. I've only done a little bit of it and I'm already four levels ahead of the recommendations in the main story. Level sync takes care of that, of course – I'm not complaining, just surprised.

AvecAloes

Donator
I just hit level 20 and did the first raid, Sastasha. Spent about 90% of the time looking at the party list. That's probably normal for a healer, right? :P

In my experience, yeah, totally normal for a healer. Especially a new one! As you run dungeons more often, you'll learn when you can take your eyes off of the health bars and switch into Cleric Stance, but don't push it until you're comfortable doing so! Better to heal than to try to DPS when you're not familiar with the dungeon or mechanics and end up wiping! Pro-tip - don't worry about keeping the tank at 100% - overhearing will waste your MP and also draw aggro, meaning the baddies will start attacking you instead of the tank, which can result in a bad time for all. As long as the tank is above 50% HP, you're doing alright. I knoooow it's super tempting to make sure they're full up at all times, but don't freak out about it too much, especially at these low level dungeons.

The game doesn't seem designed to encourage low-level exploration or sidequesting at all. I've only done a little bit of it and I'm already four levels ahead of the recommendations in the main story. Level sync takes care of that, of course – I'm not complaining, just surprised.

I don't know, I did a lot of side quest stuff, because I was always trying to keep up with my levels. Then again, I did riase my two mains a few years ago when there weren't as many side quests.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Pretty normal yeah, especially at first - it gets easier later on. Did Tam-Tara yesterday, never had to do any manual healing (the pet does it) and just DPSed the way through. Have to, it's an annoying and slow dungeon.

As for sidequests, over time they've made it easier to level up - back when (do I sound old and bitter yet?) you pretty much had to do most of the sidequests in an area to level up, sometimes having to grind some levels to continue with the main quest.

Lex

Administrator

This is mainly because you're joining the game so late so they've beefed up the amount of EXP you get from most things significantly.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Back when A Realm Reborn launched in 2013, you could do every main and side quest available, FATE often and still be level 48 begging for scraps of exp to push you to 50.

As the level cap raises and more content gets heaped on the late-game/max level point, they make it easier and easier to level up to that point.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Absolutely not :monster:

But seriously one of the cooler aspects of playing a game as it evolves is looking back on those changes.
A good visual represention of this are some of the evolving towns in the game that are renovated patch by patch. Here's a video of Idyllshire over the course of <2 years.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Back when A Realm Reborn launched in 2013, you could do every main and side quest available, FATE often and still be level 48 begging for scraps of exp to push you to 50.

ugh those last two-three levels suuuuuuuuucked

And wow, that video's kinda crazy. With my hiatus I didn't see the progression, it just looked different when I came back, but I wasn't sure if I had been misremembering it.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Hmmm I THINK I made a character on cerbs before. Might pop over to see what's gwan on

AvecAloes

Donator
Absolutely not :monster:

But seriously one of the cooler aspects of playing a game as it evolves is looking back on those changes.
A good visual represention of this are some of the evolving towns in the game that are renovated patch by patch. Here's a video of Idyllshire over the course of <2 years.

GENTRIFICATION

:monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I have to say I've had a blast playing so far. Aside from feeling very overwhelmed for the first hour or so (probably because it was my first MMO), the learning curve has been spot on. I'm very eager to witness our next new player's progress through the game and hear how their experience compares to mine. :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There's a lot of shit being tossed your way at first; I think they could improve on the new player experience a lot. Maybe do it like Morrowind did, just take the player through it step by step, add components to the UI interface one by one explaining each of them as they come up, that kinda deal.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I might have mentioned this before, Flint, but I'm super glad you're having a blast because the quality goes up over time.
I think that's par for the course for most MMOs of this style, though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I wonder how the development process of things like this go, especially with e.g. dungeons. Do they start out with the endgame content and just gradually de-awesome it until you get to the starting dungeons, or do they start with those and slowly work their way up?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I imagine they have different teams handling the main scenario quests, sidequests and dungeons. Could be as they went along they just got better at adding in cooler stuff.
Plus fan critique is heard loudly by Yoshi-P. He kinda has this 'If players want it enough, I will find a place for it in the game' mentality. The most recent things coveted by the fans were Red Mage, Samurai and Blitzball. We are definitely getting two of those in a couple months. Plus the ability to swim + underwater areas. That could well be a stepping stone to the other thing. :monster:

Top Bottom