• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Full FFVII Experience - Where Are You?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
One - I did not suffer :monster:

You did suffer. You just have Stockholm syndrome. You Swedes are prone to it :awesome:

Two - Don't forget that you actually enjoyed the stream :awesome:

That's like saying enjoying the sporking of a bad fanfic is enjoying the original fanfic.
I enjoyed listening to your creamy sveedish voice :monster:

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
Wow... I am disappoint gaiz. I haven't been a VII for even a year yet and I'm fairing better than some of you... fakers;). I joke though, I love how we're all on TLS of all places despite our varying levels of actual VII love. Keeps stuff interesting.

My current standings is:

• OG: Played all the way through. Got Knights of the Round, killed Ruby weapon. I tried to complete the Turtles Paradise thing, and kill Emerald, but both are pretty hard for different reasons.
  • ACC: This was the first thing I ever encountered from the Compilation. I really really really like it. It's silly and cheesy and a whole list of bad things, a lot. BY OH MY WORD IT'S SO PREETTTYYYYY!
  • BC: Have not gotten to it yet, but reading Lic's book has me curious.
  • CC: Busy with a new game +. Like the game a lot. Really grr about all the bad things always said about it, because I nearly didn't play it because of that.
  • DoC: What Benj said.
  • OtWtaS: Either read or listened to all of them.
  • Lateral Biography:TKAA: Read it, liked it, will read again.

Wolfhart

embraces her dreams
AKA
Monik XIII
My turn! Let's see...

-FFVII: Watched my brother play it many years ago but he never beat it. I've completed it once but without all the sidequests because I've never been a completionist. I'm on a second playthrough trying to breed chocobos and that kind of stuff, as I try to discover how things work on my own (without reading guides, etc.). I'm also on a third playthrough with a friend, where we take turns.

-ACC: I've watched it a lot of times and hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one that shows it off to other people :lol: Hmm.. I think I should watch it again soon!

-BC: Watched a playthrough on youtube. I liked it but it might be a little boring to play...

-CC: Only one playthrough (just the story, without the missions, etc.). I started a new one in hard mode but I suck so I've left it...

-DoC: Watched half of Shademp's playthrough :P Still have to watch the other half!

-OtWtaS: IRC I've read all of them once... Not sure about Case of Shinra (I know I've read part of it but can't remember if I finished it). Also listened to some of the audiobooks and watched the Case of Denzel OVA.

-Laterial Biography: I have to read it!

-Last Order: Watched it several times. Makes me wish that there was an anime based on FFVII...

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Where's Flint? We need to do a playthrough of VII to make these heathens learn!
Staying the hell out of that thread (which is why I'm posting here). We had a playthrough of Final Fantasy VII in 2012 and we can do one again in July if people vote for it. I already said we'll do at least one Final Fantasy playthrough every year, and since we've started with Chrono Trigger, that means the next one has to be an FF game. :)

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
FFVII: Beaten it too many times to count, usually doing all the sidequests whilst I be at it, though occasionally I skip out on fighting Ruby and Emerald because I'm not arsed. I've been meaning to do a base equipment playthrough and maybe at some point a no materia playthrough, and see how that goes :wacky:

AC/ACC: As a fanboy I loved this, as a movie watcher it was decidedly meh. I showed it to a few friends of mine and they all said more or less the same thing "The fight scenes are awesome, Cloud's very boring other than that and the story was 'meh'". I do like Advent Children personally, but I can see why many don't, die hard VII fans and newcomers alike.

CC: Played through this a few times and I quite like it's gameplay and loved Zack as a protagonist. Heartily disliked how Genesis was shoe-horned into some events like the Nibelheim incident, and just didn't really get the point of him in general other than to provide a new villain and a connection to DoC. Loved the implementation of the DMW in the ending. Zack's death was very well done in CC, IMO, but I still prefer his less flashy, ultra-heroic demise in FF7

DoC: Played through it twice, never collected all the G reports or got the secret ending or any of the best weapons. I liked Dirge well enough, thought it was a fairly solid offering gameplay wise, nothing revolutionary. Didn't really like the plot, or Deepground.

BC: I have zero experience with BC, haven't even watched a video of any of it, even though it features the Turks and my fics are almost exclusively about Turks :monster: If it ever comes out in some form over here I'll probably play it.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I have played FFVII about a bajillion times, but the compilation can go to hell.

I watched Yop play quite a lot of Crisis Core but the retconning annoyed me. The original game is just so perfect, I won't tolerate anything that takes away from it in any way.

This!

What I've learned about everything away from the original FFVII has primarily been through Wikipedia, and mostly because when looking through stuff on the FF Wiki, I'd spot a lot of stuff and names that just weren't familiar, so I'd check them out (and even some videos and what not, just to see).
Honestly, I find so much of the compilation to have lost the original charm, and, in one way, is such a middle finger to some of the main cast.
And also, I don't want any form of hard-hitting brooder with perfect law-defying hair who's too cool for everything! I want another Mukki! Another Dio!

As for me, my last playthrough of FFVII took me over 2 months - I played once (sometimes twice) a week on a Friday after a week of work was complete - the appreciation and enjoyment was second to none: I explored EVERYWHERE, enjoying the music and scenery more than anything!

I've seen AC a few times - as a movie it's not great, and, as a whole, irrelevant (I found). But, seeing the cast like that, I don't pass it up!

I have played FFVII about a bajillion times, but the compilation can go to hell.

As a member of the staff here, I probably shouldn't say that, but honestly, I've never cared for anything else.
This makes me feel more alone in my Compilation research.

3YpHTE1.png

:awesome:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Some parts of it are better than others. I think I'd probably enjoy the gameplay of Crisis Core, for example, if not the entire story. And I have no problem with anyone else enjoying it. :)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

I have to echo these sentiments.

I've played through CC and DoC but both are, unfortunately, boring and forgettable and just add nothing of any real substance to the universe. ACC is better but still lacking real depth. I'd look into BC if it ever gets ported / updated.

As for FFVII, I've played through it countless times, all master materia, enemy skills, etc... Never did the max stats thing though. Eager to begin a new playthrough at some point. Still my favourite game ever.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Love FF7 to death. Haven't played it since it started showing its age, nearly a decade ago I think. I wanted to keep positive memories of it... but those are also fading.

I vaguely recall bitching about AC a long time ago, here or elsewhere. I was probably too harsh, but I still feel like it cheapened some very important elements of FF7. Wasn't interested in the compilation after that.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Time for my embarrassing relationship with FFVII:

FFVII - First time I played it was when it originally came out in '97 (do I get some redeem points for having played it when it came out?). Got as far as the last set of stairs you have to climb in the first Mako Reactor (yes the tutorial). Couldn't climb them either because the game was bugged or the task of climbing stairs was simply too complicated for me. Keep in mind I was 7 years old at the time. Next time I played the game was 2 years ago when I bought it on PSN. Got as far as the Wall Market trying to make sure I got everything for Cloud to get picked by Don Corneo. Eventually got bored and went to play either Dragon Age or Uncharted. Have not played it since.

AC/ACC - Was essentially forced by my little brother into watching AC. It was boring, didn't make any sense, I wanted to punch the clone trio in the face so bad for being so fucking annoying and whinny. About the only nice thing I have to say about the movie is that the fight between Tifa and Loz was fucking awesome. I watched ACC when it came out (this time willingly), somewhat better on the simple fact of having a lot more Zack. Still boring and doesn't make any sense. I have not watched either one more than once.

BC - I don't even know what the plot of this is other than I think it centers around the Turks and it might be a cellphone game.

DoC - I have avoided this game like the plague.

The Case of stories - I've read CoT, CoD and CoB. Tbh I only really remember what happened in Tifa's, especially that scene were Tifa goes all Paranormal Activity on Cloud and asks him if he loves her (What? That's not what happened? They were really just a couple and sleeping together in the same bed? I would've never guessed).

CC - Finished it 3 times. It has quite a few bad things but I really enjoyed it except for Genesis, he sucks.

If I missed something, my bad.

Kingdom Hearts530

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Heart/Sam
FFVII: Umm... I've played to some point after destroying the first mako reactor. Yeah... But in my defense I read the whole plot summery on FFwikia a couple times and I look at things on the wikia extensively... Does that count? No? Okay...

AC/ACC: I watched AC one or twice and I loved it. I own ACC and I watch it every once in awhile and I cry because Zack feels. Love it so so much

BC: I read a plot summery and wiki'ed most of it. I don't feel like sitting though that game though

CC: Currently playing after watching the cutscenes about... five times now. Love Angeal and Zack with all my heart body mind and soul. Why did Genesis live and not them?! WHY?! (I have a lot of feels)

DoC: Watched the cutscenes probably five times and I watched Shad's walkthough. Really love it and love Vincent <3 Would not touch that gameplay with a five foot pole though :desumonster:

DC Lost Episode: I need to do this at some point. Effort

Last Order: Watched it once I think and got mad at the Turks I think. I haven't bothered to watch it again after I learned it wasn't canon.

Maiden Who Travels The Planet: Read this once or twice. Pretty sure I liked it

OtWtaS: Read at least twice. Love them all.

Lateral Biography: I came on this site to read this damn thing. I still haven't sat down and read it yet. :monster:

Think that's everything

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Time for my embarrassing relationship with FFVII:

FFVII - First time I played it was when it originally came out in '97 (do I get some redeem points for having played it when it came out?). Got as far as the last set of stairs you have to climb in the first Mako Reactor (yes the tutorial). Couldn't climb them either because the game was bugged or the task of climbing stairs was simply too complicated for me. Keep in mind I was 7 years old at the time. Next time I played the game was 2 years ago when I bought it on PSN. Got as far as the Wall Market trying to make sure I got everything for Cloud to get picked by Don Corneo. Eventually got bored and went to play either Dragon Age or Uncharted. Have not played it since.

AC/ACC - Was essentially forced by my little brother into watching AC. It was boring, didn't make any sense, I wanted to punch the clone trio in the face so bad for being so fucking annoying and whinny. About the only nice thing I have to say about the movie is that the fight between Tifa and Loz was fucking awesome. I watched ACC when it came out (this time willingly), somewhat better on the simple fact of having a lot more Zack. Still boring and doesn't make any sense. I have not watched either one more than once.

BC - I don't even know what the plot of this is other than I think it centers around the Turks and it might be a cellphone game.

DoC - I have avoided this game like the plague.

The Case of stories - I've read CoT, CoD and CoB. Tbh I only really remember what happened in Tifa's, especially that scene were Tifa goes all Paranormal Activity on Cloud and asks him if he loves her (What? That's not what happened? They were really just a couple and sleeping together in the same bed? I would've never guessed).

CC - Finished it 3 times. It has quite a few bad things but I really enjoyed it except for Genesis, he sucks.

If I missed something, my bad.

giphy-is-vampire-academy-2-happening-probably-not-let-s-look-at-why-424672f8-fa66-4deb-82b3-f8917e1cc083.gif

AvecAloes

Donator
Alright. Let's see.

• FFVII - I first played FFVII back in the fall of 2008 while Micah was away at Boot Camp. Force brought FFVII and FFIX over for me to borrow, because he and Micah used to talk about the games while I would just smile and nod because I didn't really know what they were talking about. FFVII was my first true RPG experience (I had just finished playing Kingdom Hearts 2 before starting FFVII, but of course that's more action-y). I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't really have an easy time following the story. I was a "bad" RPG gamer, as the games that I had grown up with were mostly mindless beat 'em ups and racers, so my ability to follow a story (and pay attention to the plot enough to fully grasp it) was pretty horrendous. I didn't even get Yuffie on my party. I had no idea what was happening when I ran into her in the grass or whatever it was. Confusion. I, however, really enjoyed the battle system, and was at least engaged enough by the plot (even if I didn't truly get it) to play the whole thing through. I knew that Aeris was going to die, but I had no idea when it would happen. I was fully prepared for it to happen at the end of the game, and I remember being pretty shocked when it actually happened fairly early on. Since I knew she was going to die, I had spent the first part of the game steeling myself against her, and came to find her rather silly and annoying. I wasn't sad per se when she died, but again, was shocked by the timing. I remember writing to Micah and texting Force about it at the time. Anyway, beat the game, liked it, and immediately went in to playing FFIX, which I REALLY liked. I guess since I had just come off my first RPG, I was able to focus in on the plot/storytelling better, so I understood that story much better than I did FFVII's. But back to FVII - the second time I went through it was with Force a couple of years ago when we did a complete chronological run through of the compilation, and with his help (and also with the help of discussions from this forum) I gained a deeper understanding of what the hell was going on. I even liked Aeris better by this point, because of the rest of the compilation/discussions/the FFVII comic that Obstinate Melon has been making :desu:

• AC/ACC - The first time I saw AC was with Micah and Force, because Force was very excited to share it with us. I liked it well enough (dem graphics tho), and have since seen ACC about a zillion times due to Force's near constant hard-on at just the mention of it :monster: But in all seriousness, I really liked ACC, and the last time I saw it was when we did our compilation spree.

• BC - I know it's about the Turks, I know it's a cell phone game, but other than that, I got next to nothin'.

• DoC - Force also let me borrow this game while Micah was at boot camp. I really liked it, as Vincent was one of my favorite characters from VII, and it was a little more in line with the kinds of video games I was used to, although the only other shooter I had ever played was Halo (1 and 2). Loved the beginning where you went through the tutorial as Vincent when he was a Turk. Thought he was super hot :P I also liked the customization of the guns.
  • "Case of" stories - I've read most of them, and really like what they add to the overall story. I love getting individual perspectives and having character's thoughts and feelings more deeply explored.

• Crisis Core - The first time I played this was also while Micah was at boot camp. I was borrowing Force's sister's PSP to play it, though, and she wanted it back before I was actually able to finish the game. I was having quite a bit of fun with it. Again, I love the fleshing out of characters and stories, so getting Zack and Cloud's background helped me start to understand what had happened in FFVII. The first time that I played it to completion was when we did the compilation spree, though Force had shown me the ending quite some time ago. Again, liked it a lot. Was very emotional during the ending :monster:

I personally don't understand the general dislike of the compilation that many people seem to have. I understand some of the complaints, mind, such as the size of Deepground, and the way that certain things have been retconned etc, but overall, I think it's satisfactory. I also like that the compilation touched on several game styles - straight RPG, shooter, action RPG, etc.

I think that's about it.

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
I gave up on FF7 due a crow-barred in and Time/Items/MP/HP consuming stealth section at the six hour mark. Haven't touched the compilation and probably shouldn't.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I gave up on FF7 due a crow-barred in and Time/Items/MP/HP consuming stealth section at the six hour mark.
If you're referring to the part in the Shinra building where you have to sneak past the guards, you only have to fight them a few times before they stop reappearing, so that shouldn't be a brick wall that prevents you from continuing with the game.

My apologies if someone already said as much in your "how can you like this game" thread. I stopped looking at them months ago.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I• FFVII: It was the summer of 1997, I think... hmmm, actually, I'm not sure about that. I remember it being during a school holiday, but the game wasnt released until September that year. I was the perfect age to be introduced to Final Fantasy. My brother rented it for 3 days, and I sat up all night watching him playing it. The 3 days came to an end, so we rented it again. I missed parts of the story during his playthrough, but got the gist of it. Eventually he bought a copy, and I finally got to play it myself. I still get that nostalgic feeling when I hear the tiniest bit of the music. I didnt own the game myself until university, when I chanced upon a copy in a used game store. It was really cheap, like £5. I asked to see the discs, and realised why. All 3 discs had some sort of film of goo on them, like vaseline. I figured, what the hell, £5. I got them back to the house, and cleaned them. Worked perfectly!

• AC/ACC: I can't remember when I first saw anything about AC. Id love to go back and look at when I first joined ACF. Id imagine it was around then that I found out about it. I remember taking part in discussions about what Aerith would look like, and doing a weird attempt at photoshopping the top part of her face after seeing the shot from the first trailer. Also making AMVs. Man, I wish I still had this stuff lol

• BC: Kinda dipped in to it, watching bits on youtube. I think it was a dick move to make it a mobile game. I doesnt feel cohesive with the compilation, and could be dismissed along with Last Order. Like its a different company who made those 2.

• CC: First thing I remember seeing of this was Gackt lol

• DoC: I remember people being excited for this on ACF. I think the hype train passed me by. I bought it, but never really played it much. Gameplay just didnt feel right. I liked the story though. The ending with everyone coming together had me pumped.

OTWTAS: Never read them lol

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
&#8226; FFVII: Multiple playthroughs, god only knows how many hours logged... it's only game I've ever actually played to 100% completion. I mastered every goddamn materia in the game (including Enemy Skill), beat all the optional bosses, played all the sidequests, did all the things!

&#8226; AC/ACC: Seen it more times than I care to admit, in both English and Japanese. I imported it from Japan, knowing that there weren't any English subtitles. Then I bought the US DVD. Then I bought it on UMD so I could watch it on my PSP. Then I bought ACC. I don't care that the story isn't the strongest. It's damn pretty eyecandy, and it's entertaining for what it is. Also, I wrote a novelization of it because... why the hell not.

&#8226; BC: I've read through summaries of the chapters, but nothing more. I do wish they'd bring it overseas.

&#8226; CC: This game was the only reason I bought a PSP. I've played it twice. Not my favorite entry in the Compliation, but I did enjoy it.

&#8226; DoC: I lost track of how many times I played this game. Enough to write a walkthrough for the main storyline, anyway. I'm not sure I ever finished all the side missions, though. I think I got really frustrated with one and never progressed. Also, I have the Gackt Redemption DVD with the music videos of Redemption and Longing.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
FFVII: Played through a few times but when I did, did my best to complete as much as possible... never did get those Master Materias though

AC/ACC: Watched more times than I can count. At one point, I had the cheap Japanese DVD on replay on my PS2 so when there wasn't anything on tv, I'd switch over and watch it for a bit... Probably know the Jap version better than the English.

BC: Hadn't watched Youtube or read transcripts.. oddly enough, didn't know they were out there.

CC: Also the only reason I bought a PSP... two years before the game was out, sold it, and then bought a new one when it was cheaper.. Loooved it. I bawled way too much.

DoC: I have it, but I hate shooters so I never played it... I watched everything on youtube though, and I love the story line and Vincent's history.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
My first introduction to VII's world was with AC, so I'll start there. :awesome:

AC: I first read/heard about it in a game magazine, I think. I was already a FF fan, so I was excited to see they were making another movie. And it was a sequel to a game? Looked cool in the screenshots, and sounded cool; I remember seeing pics of Sephiroth, Vincent, Aerith, and Cloud.
My sis bought the movie when it came out, and we watched it that afternoon; we had to stop it almost at the end because we were using our parents tv and got kicked off it, so she finished the movie first using her little portable dvd player, and then I got to finish it. I was hooked from the start, even though I knew nothing about VII until then; but still, the graphics blew me away, and I got a taste of that world, and wanted to learn more. First impression of Sephiroth: "He's got silver hair, cool. And he's got a strange, cool name; that's just like a FF game." :awesome:
Since then, I've watched the movie many many times, probably more than any other movie for sure. Each time I watched it I became more entwined with the story and characters.

DoC: The next game I played was DoC; I mistakenly thought it was a remake of the original game at first, from what my sis told me, but soon learned it was a sequel to AC. I played the first three chapters on a rental disc before it glitched out, and then since I was hooked I bought the game shortly after. I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, but was disappointed it was so short, and that there was nothing to do with Sephiroth. When Weiss first said to Vincent, "You know who I am?" I got so excited, thinking it was Sephiroth that took over Weiss's body... and then learned it was Hojo. Disappointment abounded. XD
I've played the game several times since then, but have never got past mission 5 in mission mode. They're so hard... :sadpanda:I've unlocked most of the rest of the stuff though, if I remember right.

FFVII: Finally got to play the original VII, since my sis borrowed it from a coworker of hers. Again, I got hooked! Finally, instead of reading some stuff about it, I got to see the beginning of it all, the original story. I knew of course all about Aerith, but much of the rest of the story was unspoiled for me, so it was great. The stuff with Seph telling Cloud he wasn't real shocked me, and I thought maybe it was true at first; then I got another big shock when I saw Cloud in that wheelchair. That scene really affected me, made me feel such pain and sadness. To think that something with such poor graphics by the time I played it could make me feel that was amazing.
I've done pretty much everything in the game, never beat Ruby or Emerald or mastered all my materia though; I've played through the game twice so far (finally got my own copy, a PS2, and a memory card all together last Christmas).

Take a break or keep reading? This things freakin' long. Sorry :monster:

CC: Got it for Christmas the year it came out, was eagerly anticipating it, and love love love it so much. Seriously, CC Sephiroth--I mean, the whole game, I really loved it. :monster: Love Zack, loved playing as him, and I loved seeing Sephiroth's true self finally. He was always a serious, cold, evil guy until this game, and I realized who he really was; actually human. I enjoyed Angeal and Genesis, though Genny's character is a bastard. Liked the Nibelheim Incident more with his inclusion. Enjoyed the gameplay, haven't completed all missions yet but have come close.
I have the vain hope that they show more of CC Sephiroth someday.

BC: Read a lot of what happens in the story; sounds like a good storyline and game, but obviously never got to play it yet. Hope they do a remake or somethin' of it.

Novels/novellas: Read them all so far, and liked them all. I'm a sucker for more info, and I want to learn more 'casual' stuff about the world. Loved Turks Lateral Biography very very much since you guys translated it. It's an awesome read.

Uuuuuh and the Denzel anime is cool, liked it. Last Order is cool too, but not a fan of the Nibelheim Incident in that one.

Did I forget anything? Did anyone actually read this monologue of adoration?
Lemme sum it up then, real quick: Love VII and the compilation of it.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Well, I'll be the one to keep it short. I've watched AC/ACC and Last Order a couple of times, but the original game I've played quite a lot actually. As somebody who pretty much grew up playing this one game, I've also played through the game with different languages and challenges. There was a period when I completed pretty much every challenge-run out there. If I had to choose one of the most memorable ones, it would have to be this one playthrough where everyone was named after Mukki. Not really a challenge, but extremely hilarious.

Never played the other titles.

&#8226; DoC: I lost track of how many times I played this game.
I must have played through story mode about twenty times. Watched all the cutscenes five times or so.

FistBump_BaymaxButler.gif

Enough to write a walkthrough for the main storyline, anyway.
Did you ever publish any guide on GameFAQs or anywhere else?

Also, I have the Gackt Redemption DVD with the music videos of Redemption and Longing.
Coolerz. I should get a copy of that DVD.

Btw I hope you have checked out my DC research thread. :monster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom