The hate base on the internet

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
^Agreed with the previous two posts.

If you are going to be critical of something you'd better give a good reason, imho. Telling me something sucks without a reason why isn't going to make me rethink my viewpoint, and just makes you look like an idiot.

The same goes for if you are praising something, as well. I'm equally just as annoyed by over-zealous fanbois/grrls who can't accept that not everyone in the universe loves the exact same things that they do.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If you are going to be critical of something you'd better give a good reason, imho.

You mean like using Hope as an example of a less annoying character/one that has been through more shit? :wacky:

lulz, that's hard to say with a straight face. Hope is the most annoying little shit.
He WATCHES that his mom is killed by PSICOM forces but instead of hating them spends the WHOLE GAME moaning about Snow but not actually doing anything about it until the least opportune time imaginable.

If want characters that manage to be more chipper despite terrible things happening to them talk about Sazh or Vivi. But Hope?

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah its up until you find his house or whatever. But after that does he have any significant lines? It's his entire character arc.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I liked Hope :hohum:

Don't get me wrong. He's an whiny little bitch. But I still like him. idk why.

And he's like that for at least half the game. You get to his house in Chapter 7, iirc. Out of 13 chapters.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Which isn't the WHOLE game, now is it? :P

Also, whiny or not, he's the best mage in the game. Just sayin'.

(also he's a kid so being whiny is acceptable...unless some of you weren't at that age LOL)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I actually started out hating him and not minding Vanille. And as the game went on they slowly switched places.

But, regardless, my point wasn't really his likability, just the absurdity of using him of all characters as someone Cloud should aspire to.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I like how that one person lists all the shit that Cloud went through and all the TC has to say in response to that is

I went through all that in my lifetime yet it doesn't affect me at all :P

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You mean like using Hope as an example of a less annoying character/one that has been through more shit? :wacky:

lulz, that's hard to say with a straight face. Hope is the most annoying little shit.
He WATCHES that his mom is killed by PSICOM forces but instead of hating them spends the WHOLE GAME moaning about Snow but not actually doing anything about it until the least opportune time imaginable.

If want characters that manage to be more chipper despite terrible things happening to them talk about Sazh or Vivi. But Hope?

Well, I guess "good reason" is subjective. Counter it with another good reason of your own if you think the evidence presented is shit, I guess. :P

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I like how FFVII went from the Greatest Game Ever Made to this in the last ten years or so.

If it weren't one of the best, no one would care enough to bitch about it 13 years later. I don't see anyone pitching hissy fits over Lufia or Breath of Fire.

Personally I still love the original FF7. It will always be one of my favorite gaming experiences.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
But after that does he have any significant lines?

"If we have the power to destroy Cocoon, then we have the power to save it. You say you want your Day of Wrath, do you? Well it's coming right up!"

I like his line to Vanille too, that she gets all ASDFDSGHFSE over. Cuteness.

Not really any super awesome quotations, but his character grew a lot over time, which I really do like about him. =) He's child, and he acted like one in the beginning, but he toughened up. I like how he builds relationships with characters like Lightning and Vanille as well. Going from awkward//shy, to accepting and stepping forwards. Hated his character from the start, ended up being kinda well.. proud of him. He's not real or anything, but... <XD He lost his Mom, basically his support in life and acted out because of that. It was sad - at a young age I probably wouldn't have been able to deal either. It's human emotion. Blaming Snow was also understandable - I don't really get why people are always like OMG HOPE WHY ARE U DOING THAT? He even admitted that his reason was kind of shitty. =| Anyway, Hope was still a poor choice in comparison to Cloud. xD Cloud was a lot stronger than Hope was, and also not a child. Sure, he acted strangely due to A LOT of crap, but not like a baby. It makes me wonder how much of FFVII that person played...

Splintered

unsavory tart

Rawr.

Hope is actually my favorite character to come out of FFXIII. And I despised Hope at first, so that's actually quite a jump for me.

But to me, Hope is nothing like Cloud. Hope was an awkward teenager who had a hard enough time being an awkward teenager. Then he got mixed up in a mess that he had no control over and was seriously confused for most of the time.

Cloud was an awkward guy in general, who was a leader and had the mindfuck of the century placed upon him. He had to be a leader when he could barely keep his head above the water.

But I've never seen Cloud get compared to Hope. I almost always see Cloud compared to Squall.

Which makes me nerd rage even more, tbh.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
It always makes me wonder when people go on and on about Cloud being so whiny when he really has had the "mindfuck of the century" placed upon him (good word choice, haha).

It also bugs me that people say AC ruined Cloud's character by making him scared to keep going when this happened right after the Temple of the Ancients:
FFVII Script said:
Cloud: ......City of the Ancients. Aeris is headed there.

Barret: By herself!? Why did she go by herself!? Hey, we're goin' too.

Cloud: Only the Ancients, only Aerith can save us from the Meteor...

Tifa: Then we must go. What'll we do if something happens to Aerith? If
Sephiroth finds her, she's in trouble.

Cloud: Sephiroth... already knows.

Barret: Hey! Why are you still sittin' around?

Tifa: Let's go, Cloud.

Cloud: No. I might lose it again. If Sephiroth comes near me I might......

Barret: Yeah, goddammit! It's 'cuz of you that Sephiroth got the Black Materia
in the first place. It's your damn fault!

Cloud: My fault?

Barret: I know you got problems... hell, we all do. But you don't ever
understand yourself. But you gotta understand that there ain't no gettin' offa
this train we're on, till we get to the end of the line.

Tifa: Cloud, we came this far... Aren't you going to settle up with Sephiroth?

Cloud: No... I'm afraid. If this keeps up, I may go crazy! I'm afraid...

Barret: Just a damn jackass, that's what you are... Yo, jes' think about it...
How many people in this world do ya think really understand themselves? People
get depressed in life because they don't know what's up. But, they go on
living. They don't run away... Isn't that how it is?

Tifa: Cloud... you'll come with us, right? I believe in you.

Tifa and Barret left.

Cloud: What... am I supposed to do? Pull out of here? Pull out? ...To where?

Tifa: Cloud...

Barret: Wait a minute, Tifa. Give him a little time. He has to decide this on
his own. You believe in Cloud... right?
Cloud: ......I'm afraid to find out the truth...? But...... why?

AC may have stretched this trait to unreasonable limits, but it's not coming out of no where.

Vossler

Voss da boss bitch
AKA
Nightmare,race driver,steel tormenter
Fuck the haters.:lightningpunch:

Could went through hell. But in my eyes as far as the game is concerned, so did the other members of the brigade. Personally I thought he was a selfish, whiny little drama queen. It's scary to think that someone actually thinks a video game character is real. Who in their right mind thinks that way.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think Mako actually went through the amount of time Cloud spends depressed in ACC and it comes to something like 20 minutes, which is 17% of the movie. Mountain of a molehill if you ask me.

In-universe time, taking Case of Tifa into account, he was depressed for what? A week? 2?

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Which makes me nerd rage even more, tbh.

ForceStealer said:
think Mako actually went through the amount of time Cloud spends depressed in ACC and it comes to something like 20 minutes, which is 17% of the movie.

zomg, you guys. I think I'm in the right place.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
What irritates me is that they are making a faulty comparison. You can only compare young teenagers with other young teenagers and human experiments with other human experiments. The two groups have completely different issues of entirely different magnitudes. One group is dealing with things like peer-pressure and the other is dealing with things like wondering if they're still human. If you must compare Cloud with someone, compare him with people like Angeal, Genesis, Vincent, ect.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I think that's what makes the poster even more ridiculous. Hope and Cloud have NOTHING in common. They watched their mothers die, that's about it. Even Angeal, Genesis, & Vincent are hard comparisons because they didn't lose 5 years of their lives and parts of their memories. Vincent is probably the best comparison you can make, living with the sin that you couldn't protect someone. That's why I like the parallel they drew in AC/C about forgiving sins.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
^ Cloud didn't watch his mother die - just saw the whole town get burned down.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
^ Cloud didn't watch his mother die - just saw the whole town get burned down.

I'm aware. But that's the only comparison he has with Hope that I can think of.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
In that sense, they are kind of similar. Cloud reacted by going to kill the one responsible for burning down Nibelheim (Sephiroth), and Hope by plotting to kill who he saw as responsible for his mother's death (Snow, since he was the one he was all "hey civilians let's go pick up some guns and shoot at the army now").

But Hope had time to deal with what happened to him. And Cloud got like, an hour or two before being thrown in a tube for several years.

I don't have a point so I'm stopping here.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I still think Hope's perceived target was stupid. Yeah, I know, he's a kid blah de blah. But make it more ambiguous how she died and by whom if you want me to sympathize with the kid, game. It's not like I'm Snow fan, not at all. But he's pretty innocent in this case - hell, HE was pretty broken up about her death.

The best part to come of it, as I said, were the Hope and Snow conversations when Snow would unknowingly say things that just kept digging him deeper and deeper. Those were kind of amusing. I can't remember what the line was, but when he made some comment about mothers or Hope's mother my gf and I just went "Oh....shit...."

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
No, you're point is valid. <3

It's just that Cloud had a whole host of issues following that. So the comparison to Hope ends there. Once Hope gets over his problem with Snow, his only issue is that
he is l'Cie and how they deal with that as a group.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I still think Hope's perceived target was stupid. Yeah, I know, he's a kid blah de blah. But make it more ambiguous how she died and by whom if you want me to sympathize with the kid, game. It's not like I'm Snow fan, not at all. But he's pretty innocent in this case - hell, HE was pretty broken up about her death.
I think Hope's blaming Snow comes from him getting other people, like his mother, involved in his fight. He might not have directly killed her, but he was (in Hope's eyes) responsible for her getting involved in the battle which cost her her life.

Top Bottom