The hate base on the internet

Splintered

unsavory tart
I think Hope's blaming Snow comes from him getting other people, like his mother, involved in his fight. He might not have directly killed her, but he was (in Hope's eyes) responsible for her getting involved in the battle which cost her her life.
That and he knows it was stupid. Hope admits it, he just used Snow as an outlet because he didn't know what to do.

That and it didn't help that Snow has a remarkable of way of saying the wrong thing and the wrong time. Snow admits that he was running away from any responsibility of letting other people join in the fight, and when Snow showed no remorse for what happened it made it worse. I don't think it was Snow's fault either, but all those contributed to a kid who has just been thrown in a situation that he can't handle. So he acted irrationally. They all were.

Hope and Lightning were motivated by anger and the need to fight, Vanille ran away from everything, Snow was denial, and Sazh almost killed himself.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That and he knows it was stupid. Hope admits it, he just used Snow as an outlet because he didn't know what to do.
ffffff i was going to mention something like that but forgot.

Compared to a massive organization like Sanctum or PSICOM, Snow is an easier target to direct the blame to. You can take revenge against an individual more readily than you can against a military force of thousands. And evil robots. And monsters.

Especially when you're like 12 and your name is Hope and you're a boy.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Not only that, but Snow was the one who recruited volunteers and handed his mother the gun.

Do you think Hope saw Snow drop her? I never thought so, but maybe?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Snow didn't willingly hand his mother a gun. She made him give her one.

And you know, the fact that Hope ADMITS he's being stupid almost makes it a little more annoying. "I know the guy is innocent and I'm just being immature but I'mma stab him anyway."

I just find it funny how Lightning totally enabled it. She clearly wanted Snow dead :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Lightning tried to use a kid to murder her sister's fiancée because she hated him.

Lightning: the real villain of FFXIII.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Hope and Lightning were motivated by anger and the need to fight, Vanille ran away from everything, Snow was denial, and Sazh almost killed himself.

Don't forget Fang. She was motivated by being fucking
and lesbian

Snow didn't willingly hand his mother a gun. She made him give her one.

And you know, the fact that Hope ADMITS he's being stupid almost makes it a little more annoying. "I know the guy is innocent and I'm just being immature but I'mma stab him anyway."

I just find it funny how Lightning totally enabled it. She clearly wanted Snow dead :monster:

While this is true, she also wanted Hope to overcome his anger in his own way, knowing that there wasn't much she could say to calm the kid down. And we all know an unsupervised child with a knife is worth a thousand words.

Als52

Rookie Adventurer
Huh? Got to disagree with the TC.

GameFAQs is easily one of the most Final Fantasy VII friendly sites around. Brief history, back in 1995 GameFAQs was founded by Jeff Veasey “CjayC” the site didn’t have much success until 1997 when gamers looking for Final Fantasy VII related FAQs started to visit the site in droves. It was the traffic from Final Fantasy VII fans that launched GameFAQs into the mega site it is today.

The Final Fantasy VII board was pretty much the center of gravity for the whole North American fandom back in the late 90s. It was the largest group of rabid fans around, we use to go through about 1000+ posts a day in LTD threads with it occasionally going as high as 3000+ or even 5000+ posts.

Final Fantasy VII was also the winner of GameFAQs 2004 Best Game Contest and was the runner-up in the Best Game Ever Contest back in 2009. It also has three characters in the top 10 in the annual Character Battles.

Don’t listen to the haters or trolls on the Duodecim board, the majority of GameFAQs gamers absolutely adore Final Fantasy VII and its characters. The game has a very rich history on GameFAQs.

GameFAQs CB8 x-Stats top 50

1 Link
2 Cloud Strife
3 Solid Snake
4 Samus Aran
5 Sephiroth
6 Pikachu
7 Missingno
8 Crono
9 Yoshi
10 Tifa Lockhart
11 Squall Leonhart
12 Mario
13 Auron
14 Charizard
15 Mega Man X
16 Zelda
17 Ryu (Street Fighter)
18 Dante
19 Vincent Valentine
20 Commander Shepard
21 Zero
22 Kratos (God of War)
23 Bowser
24 Sonic the Hedgehog
25 Aerith Gainsborough
26 Mega Man
27 Fox McCloud
28 Big Daddy
29 Luigi
30 Sub-Zero
31 Jill Valentine
32 Alucard
33 Captain Falcon
34 Gordon Freeman
35 Leon Kennedy
36 Kirby
37 Sora
38 Riku
39 Ness
40 Tidus
41 Ridley
42 Princess Peach
43 Big Boss
44 Chris Redfield
45 L-Block
46 Terra Branford
47 Jecht
48 Ganondorf
49 Pokemon Trainer Red
50 Revolver Ocelot

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
^Maybe FFVII is loved on non FF boards, but it is always called overrated and insulted on the other FF boards.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Did I just get a history lesson?

Splintered

unsavory tart
Like I said, FFVII's hate base is a vocal minority.

Walk into most threads in gamefaqs that deal anything with comparing FF to each other, or in another FF board in general, and you'll always get people whining about how overrated the game is. Tally up the votes though, and you'll see most quite like FFVII.

Interfandom hate. Nothing new.
srsly. Though it's kind of hilarious that the rabid anti FFVII fans are just as annoying as the rabid can-do-no-wrong FFVII fans.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
you know, to be honest, i liked legend of dragoon more than ff7.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
What does Legend of the Dragoon have to do with FFVII?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Did I just get a history lesson?

I liked it, actually, :monster:.

@topic, one thing you always have to remember, negativity is always more vocal. Look at work - how often do you get people with a problem or complaint, compared to how often they compliment you or your business for offering your services without problems? :monster:

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
FFVII gets a lot of hate sometimes just cause it's cool to rag on the POPULAR game. Fuck that shit, VII was my fave.

Also, why is Hope being compared to fucking Cloud, the PROTAGONIST? Well ja, his issues will take up more screentime. Color me surprised.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Complainers and haters are always more noticeable than the rest. And anything big and mainstream like gamefaqs attracts a large amount of morons.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Final Fantasy Vii had an amazing ending. Its just a damn shame that sequels were made. It completely ruined the original 'the planet ended wiping out humanity in order to survive' ending.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
1 Link
2 Cloud Strife
3 Solid Snake
4 Samus Aran
5 Sephiroth
6 Pikachu
7 Missingno
8 Crono
9 Yoshi
10 Tifa Lockhart
11 Squall Leonhart
12 Mario
13 Auron
14 Charizard
15 Mega Man X
16 Zelda
17 Ryu (Street Fighter)
18 Dante
19 Vincent Valentine
20 Commander Shepard
21 Zero
22 Kratos (God of War)
23 Bowser
24 Sonic the Hedgehog
25 Aerith Gainsborough
26 Mega Man
27 Fox McCloud
28 Big Daddy
29 Luigi
30 Sub-Zero
31 Jill Valentine
32 Alucard
33 Captain Falcon
34 Gordon Freeman
35 Leon Kennedy
36 Kirby
37 Sora
38 Riku
39 Ness
40 Tidus
41 Ridley
42 Princess Peach
43 Big Boss
44 Chris Redfield
45 L-Block
46 Terra Branford
47 Jecht
48 Ganondorf
49 Pokemon Trainer Red
50 Revolver Ocelot
This list is inadmissible for anything other than a laugh, due to the mere fact that Pikachu and Missingno were ranked higher than Auron, Big Boss, and Commander Shepard.

Also, FFVII is an amazing game, but the behavior of a large portion of the fanbase makes me just...not want to play it anymore. =/

Plus the whole "lol dis is a compilation give us moar monies" thing.

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Whoa, dude. Don't fuck with Missingno.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It completely ruined the original 'the planet ended wiping out humanity in order to survive' ending.

Well that was (intentionally) arguable. I always took it back then that Holy was gonna let Meteor pass in the interest of wiping out humanity (or Midgar at the very least), but Aerith and the Lifestream interfered to save humanity.

Garrus said:
Also, FFVII is an amazing game, but the behavior of a large portion of the fanbase makes me just...not want to play it anymore. =/

That's no reason not to play a game. Who cares what other people do? Especially given video games social status, all the crazies - and the only people that know about the crazies - are only on the internet. I find it highly unlikely that someone would see you playing it irl and make any connection other than you were playing a game with really shitty graphics.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Final Fantasy Vii had an amazing ending. Its just a damn shame that sequels were made. It completely ruined the original 'the planet ended wiping out humanity in order to survive' ending.

You know, I still don't get why this was the prevailing interpretation of the ending. Sure, the idea that it may play out that way was there, and the concern was hanging over your head as you toiled toward the final battle, but -- aside from somebody needing to land the damn Highwind so that Red could be around 500 years later -- there's the notion that the story argued that the planet couldn't do without its humans:

Cid
"I always thought this planet was so huge.
But lookin' at it from space, I realized it's so small.
We're just floatin' in the dark. ......kind of makes you feel powerless.
On top of that it's got Sephiroth festerin' inside it like a sickness.
That's why I say this planet's still a kid.
A little kid sick and trembling in the middle of this huge universe.
Someone's gotta protect it.
Ya follow me? That someone is us."

Humans stopped JENOVA the first time, a human cast Holy, humans beat Sephiroth, and a human ultimately commandeered the Lifestream to stop Meteor.

The planet would be pretty retarded to get rid of them.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
That's no reason not to play a game. Who cares what other people do? Especially given video games social status, all the crazies - and the only people that know about the crazies - are only on the internet. I find it highly unlikely that someone would see you playing it irl and make any connection other than you were playing a game with really shitty graphics.
It is a reason. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel that way.

Call it causality, reactivity, whatever you want - the behavior of others in regards to a subject will always have an affect on the people that witness their behavior. When you see some crazy Christian pastor wanting to burn the Koran, you don't suddenly feel the urge to convert to Christianity. It is offputting and makes you disinterested.

You may not like my reasoning, but that *is* reasoning. Please do me a favor and don't dismiss my opinion's validity simply because you don't disagree with it.

Top Bottom