The Hobbit

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
if you use the same clip you can save time editing because you don't need to go and find another clip and then cut that out and put it in the timeline and you can just copy the one you've already used, and you can go visit new zealand instead

source.gif

although i think she had a separate editor but just let me use my old memes

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
What you're describing has become somewhat of a signature for her. People who've watched fifty of her videos don't pay much attention to it, especially since the overall quality of her stuff is so good. Woman knows her film theory.

(Cringe? Really? Okay.)

It's one of those things where people that're this knowledgable about film I'll usually follow their channel (like I do with most things posted in the Essays about Video Games & Film thread), but in this case I just find the presentation so offputting such that I'm not interested in doing so – especially if this is par for the course.

Additionally, anything that's just raw information like this and doesn't go into a more technical breakdown of scenes I already watch at double speed, and even doing that – these two videos feel like they're running too long to make the point that they're going for in half the time they're actually using. YMMV, but yes, it's complete cringe consuming these on my part – even though she does make a number of really good points.

if you use the same clip you can save time editing because you don't need to go and find another clip and then cut that out and put it in the timeline and you can just copy the one you've already used, and you can go visit new zealand instead

source.gif

If you condense your information effectively, you don't need an hour and ten minutes to get through 2/3rds of it, which means that you spend less time editing & even more time enjoying New Zealand.

source.gif

X :neo:

Fangu

Great Old One
but in this case I just find the presentation so offputting such that I'm not interested in doing so – especially if this is par for the course.
You're missing out then, I'm telling ya.

That being said, while she does tend to repeat scenes, it's usually not as heavy as for the second part of her Hobbit "autopsy". The only other example I can think of that might be too much for your taste is if you watch her entire 'The Whole Plate' series (in which she uses the Transformers series as an introduction to film study, it's quite entertaining (and informative!)) where she* repeats the Bumblebee 'lubrication' scene several times.

* As hito says, she might not be the current editor, not that that makes a huge different re: all of this.

I would barely blink even if the editing quality for the videos dropped a step or two, since what draws me in are Lindsay's great scripts and her performance reading out said scripts.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The information is insightful, but the presentation is lacking. Unlike most video essays on film, I'd have to cringe to ever rewatch this one if I wanted to dig out the important bits from it. I get that there's some irony in making a presentation that's as poorly delivered as the films you're criticizing, but c'mon.

Just wanted to chime in that I've watched a LOT of this girl's videos but... I always feel a bit pained whenever I do. I think I find the host a little unlikeable, though she raises a lot of good points. The annoying editing doesn't help either.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

source.gif

If you condense your information effectively, you don't need an hour and ten minutes to get through 2/3rds of it, which means that you spend less time editing & even more time enjoying New Zealand.

source.gif
if you hire an editor, all that's her problem now and you can drink all the overpriced hobbit tourist drinks you can afford

source.gif

(i am not trying to be too defensive or say repeated clips are great or anything; this is now a meta joke involving using the same meme repeatedly to thematically tie in with the current discussion in this thread)

(i'm just being a little shit)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings 4K Blu-ray sets releasing in December

The sets contain both the theatrical and extended versions (but not the appendices). LOTR movies are new masters from 4K scans (including VFX). Dolby Vision HDR is supported.
Also, a 4K ultimate collector's edition is coming in Summer 21.
Amazon has them for preorder, Hobbit trilogy costs €70, LOTR €80.

Last edited:
Top Bottom