• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Matrix FOUR… with Keanu Reeves & Carrie-Anne Moss

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I was reading shit about laurence fishburne and him not being in the new movie. Didn't realise he has been pestered about this for over a year and apparently still doesn't know why he wasn't approached to return.

I have to imagine that with him being in John Wick, there's almost certainly SOME quiet knowledge that he's being ridiculously professional about, as it's likely pivotal to the story since Morpheus being the key to the original film means that if/when he shows up, there's a massive payoff in that moment that everyone involved is overwhelmingly aware of.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I should clarify that I like all 3 movies, and I also think Revolutions was better than Reloaded. But I still think they're both bad movies. Like - I think Practical Magic is a bad movie, but that doesn't stop it from being one my favourite movies ever. Or inverted, how FFIX is objectively the best PS1 FF, but it's not my favourite PS1 FF.

People often have trouble with the way I explain things like this lol. Basically I'm detached enough to know that I enjoy things that are not good, and the Matrix sequels definitely fit in that category.

Lex

Administrator
I have to imagine that with him being in John Wick, there's almost certainly SOME quiet knowledge that he's being ridiculously professional about, as it's likely pivotal to the story since Morpheus being the key to the original film means that if/when he shows up, there's a massive payoff in that moment that everyone involved is overwhelmingly aware of.

I don't think "Ask Lana Wachowski why I'm not in it" qualifies as being ridiculously professional. There is known tension between Laurence and the Wachowski's, and also Morpheus died (permanently) in the Matrix Online which was written by the Wachowski's and is considered canon.

Morpheus dying in canon is also different from how Trinity and Neo died in canon at the end of Revolutions, because they were born in the Matrix and Morpheus wasn't.

Even after all that, I wouldn't rule out a very secret cameo. But everything that's been said definitely points to him not having been asked back.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
People keep referring to the new guy as "young Morpheus" and I dunno that just doesn't sit right with me whatsoever.

I don't think "Ask Lana Wachowski why I'm not in it" qualifies as being ridiculously professional. There is known tension between Laurence and the Wachowski's, and also Morpheus died (permanently) in the Matrix Online which was written by the Wachowski's and is considered canon.

Morpheus dying in canon is also different from how Trinity and Neo died in canon at the end of Revolutions, because they were born in the Matrix and Morpheus wasn't.

Even after all that, I wouldn't rule out a very secret cameo. But everything that's been said definitely points to him not having been asked back.

I also wondered whether they would take the whole Morpheus death in the matrix online and make it canon or whether the new film was gonna end up a big ole "you thought you won but really you were in a matrix within a matrix" only for Leonardo DiCaprio's batshit crazy wife from inception to pop up and start trying to stab people again.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
@Lex Morpheus was born in the matrix as well he was freed very young.

Fishbourne may not be reprising the role but apparently Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has confirmed he's Morpheus in the film begs the question, is he a program made to simulate him? A younger version OR is it all a red herring?

Screenshot_20210912-185900_Chrome.jpg

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Re: Morpheus, there's this bit in the trailer where it looks like he's being assembled by nanomachines or some weird shit like that :monster:

the-matrix-4-morpheus-yahya-machine.jpg

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Same, this was early days of internet though. It was roughly the same time AC became a thing I believe <_<. I vaguely recall using the internets of my then internship to download the MTV skit and the AC trailer. Bung them on my 64 MB USB drive and take them home, or even burn it to a CD. It all went downhill from there, to the point where googly eyes on things became peak comedy.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I have mixed feelings about this.

On one side, I remember the first movie to feel like an allegory of the capitalist state that has us all chained down producing to feed it.

Then Lana goes and keeps milking the cow.

It's not that I think the movie will be bad or anything, just that... can't movies have a closed story and call it a day and come up with new ideas? I'm a bit tired of this catering to Millennial nostalgia for our childhood/early teen years.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
There was this long talk that Lana did recently where she actually mentioned that WB would ask the Wachowskis pretty much every year to make a new Matrix movie and offer a truckload of money and they kept declining. She also talked about some of the more personal reasons that factored into making this so I geniunely don't think it's a milking the cow situation because if they truly wanted to milk this franchise (either WB or the Wachowskis) they could've done so at any time.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
They did it with games :monster:

Jk, probably they wanted to go with their own personal projects and for some reason they came back.

Still, I feel the same: older actors, new twist to an old story... but barely any new projects that aren't superhero movies or reboots or continuations. As much as I enjoy (and I'm sure would enjoy future movies) I don't know what's happening in the cinema industry but it sucks.

Will keep grumbling in my corner, lol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
.... Wait. What simulation started in 2012?

I don't get it, lol

Top Bottom