The one true angel

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Thanks for the advice, Mako! :)

Indeed, It was only a few times that "Concentration" activated during gameplay and didn't do much of a difference.

The same thing happened with Magic and Physical Shield, but that's because I can't recall the last time that I had Sephiroth in a critical state, such overbearing is his power. :monster:

I only chose these abilities because I wanted to optimize Sephiroth in every way, but they weren't really vital in any way.

I think i'll follow your advice and also aplly the same setup to Kefka and Kuja.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, Concentration isn't really useful. And its better to just take your opponents brave away and put them under constant pressure than just build up your own at a measely rate.

The amount of Brave stolen from Snooze and Lose is significant. And it activates fast. So yeah. Definitely a better investment.

And yeah, if you're good enough, you won't really need those shields. And I'm thinking you're pretty awesome enough as is, so :monster:

GodRoy

Pro Adventurer
I just wanted to say that Sephiroth is kick ass, who could not be a fan, and the part where he kills everyone in the Shinra building was awesome. Most violence I've ever seen to lego people in my life. Even now such lego violence cannot be found.

And D&D's signature is awesome.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Bump! XD

CG_SephirothBack.png

Sephirothrender.png

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
16659888_m.jpg

17022804_m.jpg

Now for some discussion...

What did you think of Sephiroth's character in the Dissidia games?

Honestly, I was disappointed with Sephiroth's character in Dissidia, as S-E chose to go the Kingdom Hearts route and present Sephiroth as a dark counterpart, a shadow of Cloud.

In FFVII, Sephiroth wanted revenge against Cloud, but that was hand-to-hand with his plan to achieve godhood. Neither objective was over the other. In fact, Sephiroth, at one point, seemed more concerned to achieve his godhood than to destroy Cloud.

Even in Advent Children/Complete, Sephiroth was bent to get his revenge on Cloud, by making him suffer and ultimately kill him, but before that Sephiroth already drove the planet to despair through Geostigma and through the corruption of the Lifestream. In fact, Sephiroth, through the creation of his own Lifestream, the Negative Lifestream, achieved to an extent what he wanted to achieve in FFVII, being more powerful and godlike than ever before, and his plan to use the planet as a vessel was well on its way.

But since OTWTAS: Case of Lifestream - Back, and being quite noticeable in Dissidia and in the KH games (though the latter are not canon), Sephiroth seems like only a shadow to Cloud. In FFVII and AC/C, Sephiroth was always the top dog and Cloud was always in his shadow (and one of the reaasons Cloud struggled so hard was also to get rid of Sephiroth's shadow).

But nowadays, Sephiroth seems like he's dependable of Cloud. Shit like "as long as Cloud remembers me, i'll persevere" or "as long as there's darkness in your heart, I'll be here craved in your heart" is really disapointing compared to what Sephiroth was before.

Ok, he also had a plan in Dissidia, but that was relegated to second plane compared to his fixation on Cloud.

But not everything is that bad, though. I liked the fact that Sephiroth killed himself to discover further the truth behind the War cycles. That was very in-character, imo.

His japanese VA, already know from some Compilation titles, was awesome as ever, with his calm, somewhat erotic but at the same time friightening and overwhelming tone.

George Newbern is also better than he was initially. He now sounds quite intimidating and cocky, though I still prefer Morikawa's voice quite a bit more.

As for Sephiroth's uniform in Dissidia, though quite better than those abominations from KH and KHII, still pales in comparison with the fluid and elegant design of the original FFVII uniform and its subtle but tasteful restyling for the Compilation.

And what about you guys? What did you think of Sephiroth in the Dissidia games?

Last edited:

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Honestly, I was disappointed with Sephiroth's character in Dissidia, as S-E chose to go the Kingdom Hearts route and present Sephiroth as a dark counterpart, a shadow of Cloud.

In FFVII, Sephiroth wanted revenge against Cloud, but that was hand-to-hand with his plan to achieve godhood. Neither objective was over the other. In fact, Sephiroth, at one point, seemed more concerned to achieve his godhood than to destroy Cloud.

Even in Advent Children/Complete, Sephiroth was bent to get his revenge on Cloud, by making him suffer and ultimately kill him, but before that Sephiroth already drove the planet to despair througfh Geostigma and through the corruption of the Lifestream. In fact, Sephiroth, through the creation of his own Lifestream, the Negative Lifestream, he achieved to an extent what he wanted to achieve in FFVII and his plan to use the planet as a vesseal was well on its way.

But since OTWTAS: Case of Lifestream - Back, and being quite noticeable in Dissidia and in the KH games (though the latter are not canon), Sephiroth seems like only a shadow to Cloud. In FFVII and AC/C, Sephiroth was always the top dog and Cloud was always in his shadow (and one of the reaasons Cloud struggled so hard was also to get rid of Sephiroth's shadow).

But nowadays, Sephiroth seems like he's dependable of Cloud. Shit like "as long as Cloud remembers me, i'll persevere" or "as long as there's darkness in your heart, I'll be here craved in your heart" is really disapointing compared to what Sephiroth was before.

This is exactly why I, by personal opinion, don't like to consider the Lifestream Black to be canon all that much, because his dialogue in it sounds like it came out of Kingdom Hearts and that's not the Sephy we know. As well, Dissidia followed that route too, but not as bad.

As for your main question, I liked him in Dissidia, tho he was noticeably less from how he was in AC/C and VII and more subtle and KH-esque. Still, he did carry some of that old intimidation some, which is a good thing and he's fun to play as, once you get the hang of him xD. (Still trying to get used to playing as him :P). Overall he was alright in Dissidia :).

~ Raz

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
(...) and he's fun to play as, once you get the hang of him xD.

Indeed, he is. I usually use him a precision tool as described above.

I usually let the others attack first and the unleash devastating counterattacks, some of them sap an opponent's brave in one go. That in the original Dissidia, because I still have him at level 5 at Duodecim. :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
This is exactly why I, by personal opinion, don't like to consider the Lifestream Black to be canon all that much, because his dialogue in it sounds like it came out of Kingdom Hearts and that's not the Sephy we know. As well, Dissidia followed that route too, but not as bad.

As for your main question, I liked him in Dissidia, tho he was noticeably less from how he was in AC/C and VII and more subtle and KH-esque. Still, he did carry some of that old intimidation some, which is a good thing and he's fun to play as, once you get the hang of him xD. (Still trying to get used to playing as him :P). Overall he was alright in Dissidia :).

~ Raz

I think you're giving ACC a little to much credit here. Yeah, he had a plan, but he was gonna postpone destroying the Planet (which he totally could at that point), just to have duel with Cloud. I can give the quotes from Reunion Files that state that his masterplan was second in mind for his hatred for Cloud when they wrote the scene. I can accept Lifestream Black, as a neccesary evil thanks to Advent Children. Dissidia, I don't like that they give you the choice between spouting suggestive lines at Cloud and unveiling his master plan to random party member.

Duodecim is the only time they really dropped the ball (not counting KH), of the dialogue that was deleted, a lot of it was concerning Sephiroth. In the original Dissidia, the Emperor is suspicious of him, he mostly only talks to Garland, he's the second to last villain to go down and that after he starts remembering stuff from before he died. It baffles Garland and we're suppose to believe that whatever magic he pulled when he seemingly killed himself allowed him to break a few rules and learn higher truths concerning the cycle.

They were more subtle about it, and appeased the Cloud-Sephy fans more then neccesary, but they weren't any less ambitious with Sephiroth in Dissidia then the Emperor. Duodecim... I can't really say that anymore.

Mariketsu

AKA
Razael
Well, IMO, choosing to fight with Cloud first seems more like a character-flaw as a villain, which is what gives Cloud the advantage to actually defeat him.

Sephy has always had a somewhat arrogant sense to him (tho he arguably has reason to be) and I think that same arrogance is what made him fight with Cloud first, because he's so confident about his power, which leads him to be completely dumbfounded when Cloud manages to pull out his true potential against him and ens up defeated once again.

I will point out a line he said in KH2; Sephy says to Sora (after you fight him) "I admit you're very skilled, but it seems that Cloud is the only one who can defeat me."

Yes, KH is not canon, but I think it was meant to be a homage to the compilation that it really does seem like Cloud is the only one who can really defeat him in battle (evidenced by the fact that Tifa, herself, stated in AC/C that "It's his fight now."). It goes back to the theorized reason Sephy chose to fight with Cloud in AC/C, instead of just destroying the planet: he wants to prove he's stronger in a sense, as if he sees Cloud as a literal rival.

That's what I think anyway, however I do agree that it did start to derail in Dissidia and then the worst one, IMO was Lifestream Black.

~ Raz

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As I've said before, if he said "Cloud is the only one who can defeat me" in the sense that he's the only one skilled enough to defeat him, that'd be one thing. Its this weird metaphysical thing that Cloud is literally like a wooden stake to a vampire.

Honestly, I don't care what KH does, its AU, that's the point of AUs, they can go crazy with it. Furthermore, I was okay with Lifestream Black. I liked the concept that maintained his individuality in the Lifestream cost him something - in this case, most of his memories. That it took intense focus on one strong emotion to the exclusion of everything else. And yaoi shippers be damned, that WOULD be the emotion most on his mind at the end of VII, hatred for Cloud. He had to focus on it to stay intact - it also served to explain why Sephiroth had to take away what Cloud cherished most even to the point of jeopardizing his plan. Most of the rest of his personality had literally been destroyed.

Dissidia, however, there is no excuse for. It doesn't make sense.
But yes, him killing himself when he suspects the cycle is cool. I'd just love to see how he even managed to turn the Masamune on himself:monster:

Mariketsu

AKA
Razael
The way Lifestream Black was presented was good, just his dialogue sounded far too KH-esque. It just didnt sound like the villain we all know, IMO xD. But I get what you mean, Force.

~ Raz

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I'd just love to see how he even managed to turn the Masamune on himself:monster:

Don't know why, but I always imagined that Sephiroth's suicide would be him resting the blade of the Masamune over his shoulder and then decapitating himself. :awesome:

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Bump for epic fanart.

Bitch-black feathers
Big mouthed bird, big mouthed bird
Bitch-black feathers
Big mouthed bird, big mouthed bird
Daffy Duck!

sample_c7834d7105501287c18b53fe859037916235d4df.jpeg

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
:D

I would like to join this club because I have been a fan of Sephiroth.In my opinion I just find him fasicinating as a character before and after he turned evil.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Welcome, then! :monster:

Thanks,I always thought that Sephiroth is both developed and underdeveloped as a character.Mainly because there some things about him that are very much explained while other parts of his life have not been touched upon.I have kinda of always been curious about his childhood and how his relationship with Hojo was.From the dialogue I have a feeling it was pretty sour.

PhantomSephiroth

Pilot of the Sephiroth_Zero
AKA
That damn sephiroth woman
Seems like a nice place to hang out. Hey, if you let me join I'll give you some art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom