The Walking Dead: Season 6 Starts October 11th

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
My theory

They don't know who they want to kill/ Who they have the balls to kill. Since they didn't write it into the script for the finale when they filmed this season that means they get the entirety of the season+ filming the next one to figure it out.

All things considered I can totally see them not pulling the trigger and just like killing Aaron or some shit.

All said and done. I think I'm done with the show.

To be perfectly honest after this point in the comic I was just so turned off by
Glenns death
and have honestly been dreading this arc so much for the show. It's not that this part of the comic was bad, I actually enjoyed it at times. It's just something I personally don't want to read again and feel like I definitely don't want to watch it lol.

Coupled with the let downs from the writing , pacing issues , the ungodly filler. It just aint my type of show anymore.

Maybe once it comes out on Netflix ill try it out. After all being able to binge Season 2 back to back changed my opinion of it. Maybe binging these later seasons could do the same.

edit:

Out of curiosity

After Negan/ The hilltop wars do you guys think they'll end the show? Or do you think they will continue on with the 3 year time skip like in the comics? I imagine at some point there gonna run into a Full Metal Alchemist problem and have both universes splinter off entirely lol

Last edited:

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
After this happy horseshit of a finale...I may finally be out. The writing on this show has been absolutely atrocious for the last several seasons. As I said to Carlie in our little video preview, I feel like this show is suffering from having too many episodes in a season. They need to scale back to 8-10 episodes. It would eliminate the need for the filler episodes and keep things moving.

The comic book isn't exactly a stellar example of superb writing either but I at least find it more engaging than the show.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Ok so that finale was a waste of time. I'm kind of sick of people running about being idiots, making basic errors all the fucking time etc etc etc Negan is ridiculous. Like he's far too comic booky imo. Anyway, I decided to spoil myself by reading a summary of what happens with Negan in the comic and it looks like a fucking chimps tea party of incompetence and if the series follows that it's just.....nope.

Lex

Administrator
Oh hey it's Jeffrey Dean Morgan though. I've been wondering what he was up to these days, what with being the Winchester's absentee father and Denny on Grey's.

hey jeff how's it going

No seriously though I haven't watched any of this season and I have it sitting waiting to be binged, will post my thoughts after.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Still haven't watched this show in ages, but this is bloody fantastic, and makes me feel like I'm all caught up:

X :neo:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Good lord, I don't even watch this show until the seasons come out Netflix, but I heard the premiere for this season was pretty... brutal. :closedmonster:

I was reading spoilers last night and was like 'Holy shit!'

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
So after their epic fail last season with the infamous dumpster incident and ending the season on a cliffhanger the show tried to salvage the situation by
killing two instead of one. Abraham first to try to make people think Glenn wasn't going to die after all, which of of course he did and they didn't fool anyone. Oh and this apparently took 20 minutes to happen.
I haven't seen the episode but unsurprisingly is not getting favorable reactions.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Well, what I find to be absolutely hilarious (insert sarcasm here) is that evidently the premiere was so upsetting for some viewers that many are now apparently refusing to even watch the show, because that premiere just took things 'way too far' for a show that's just supposed to be about 'killing zombies'.

I just... I can even :kermit:

This is basically the story of every Game of Thrones season. Something in the story happens that's so despicable that fans immediately turn tail and run. Or claim to. It's getting old, not matter what fandom it is.

What bothers me is how people are so shocked about a post-apocalyptic environment bringing the worst out in people. Like... Do you expect people to be the same as they were before? Hell, it took a few seasons, but eventually even Rick let loose his inner Shane. >_>

Lex

Administrator
OK so on some level I agree that it gets annoying when people complain about shit like that when the show is literal gore (i.e. two seasons ago when there was complete outrage because of a gay kiss, you know, protect the children quickly from the gay kiss in this show about constant graphic murder and death) but I don't have a problem with people being turned off a show due to a dip in writing quality/ plot contrivances for the sake of plot contrivances.

I was a fan of GoT until all the unnecessary rape legitimately turned me off and now I give zero shits about it. I haven't watched a single episode since the bullshit with Sansa at Wintefell some two seasons ago, and I haven't even felt the itch to return yet.

People start to have problems with shows when the writers treat you like an idiot, and in GoT's case it started doing shit for the sake of shock value (in the vein of "ha! bet you didn't see that coming!") and when your response is "no actually I didn't, because you're supposed to be better than that. It added nothing to the plot and in some cases actually makes no sense". If you're that person who's in it for the pure light entertainment of sitting there watching a show, then that's not something that's necessarily going to bother you. If you're into it for deeper reasons and writers start screwing unnecessarily with plot by adding shock value scenes to it for the sake of getting that social media reaction (which make no mistake, is why they do it. They're not doing it for the purpose of adding to the overall plot) the savvy audience starts to feel cheated. It's less about "omg I found that so shocking" and more about "well, that's a fucking cheap way to get a reaction".

I say this as a person who hasn't even seen the last season of the Walking Dead, but has had many problems with how its plot/ characters have gone since around season 3. I don't hate the show by any means, just haven't had the chance or urge to catch up with it. Unlike Game of Thrones, which I now care a sum total zero about when I used to be a massive fan.

So just bear in mind that there are legitimate reasons people became fucked off with GoT (and other shows), and here you have a person who didn't "turn tail and run", so much as recognised that the writers had stopped writing an intelligently adapted plot from a phenomenal book series and started pandering to the audience who expected nothing more than tits, sex and violence. Now often needlessly combined. I can appreciate a spectacle as entertainment as well as anyone else, but I wasn't into GoT for that. I was into it for the smart high fantasy story it was giving me. Now it's just a baser shadow of its former self.

Can't speak for TWD though, haven't seen it in a while. For all I know it's still great :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I don't really get it either. I mean I'm getting a bit tired of the show now, we've had er... what 4-5 groups of baddies thus far. So it's like the cycle keeps repeating. I can't see any kind of satisfactory resolution - even if a cure is found, it's probably gonna be 100's of years before anything close to a civilised society emerges again. I dunno, perhaps that is the point :monster:

But, I don't understand why people are so pissed. What were they really expecting? Have they even been watching the show, why would they expect anything nice or even 'not as horrible as we were expecting' to happen?

And
Glenn was on borrowed time after he somehow didn't get eaten at the bottom of a pile of fuckin Zombies
Plus it was in the comic, and although the TV show has derived somewhat from the comic it's not been totally off the rails.

I never watched GOT or read the books, but it was a huge red flag to me when I read they'd changed what was a consensual sex scene into a rape for the TV show. I mean I'm not against rape being depicted in media but I can't imagine how you can do something like that without dramatically altering the characters involved?

Anyway, I enjoyed the opening TWD. If 'enjoy' is the word :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I never watched GOT or read the books, but it was a huge red flag to me when I read they'd changed what was a consensual sex scene into a rape for the TV show. I mean I'm not against rape being depicted in media but I can't imagine how you can do something like that without dramatically altering the characters involved?

Yeah that was the first of many bad omens for people who give a shit about consistency of character development. Then the writers tried to backpedal on Twitter. It was a total mess.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Not gonna lie, my heart was in my throat for the entire episode. :closedmonster:

Andrew Lincoln deserves all the awards for that single episode. I can't even begin to describe what I just saw.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm still on Season 6 which was released on netflicks the other day. IDK what to think of the series anymore, it seems rather repetitive:

* The Group finds a new Group slash Location
* new Group isn't what they Seem to Be!
* zombies

Have to say though, I still dig the zombies, the people that play them, and the makeup artists. I don't think I've seen anything like it in any hollywood movie or anything of late. Pretty sure they go to CGI far too quickly these days.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer

Yeah that was the first of many bad omens for people who give a shit about consistency of character development. Then the writers tried to backpedal on Twitter. It was a total mess.

They still refuse to acknowledge the Sept scene was rape because you know it's totally consensual sex when someone is saying no and stop over and over. David and Dan are fucking cowards, they didn't take responsibility for anything and made Alex Graves the scapegoat. Fuck both of them.

On topic:
Let’s start from the very first problem here, which is that even though we’ve all called the mysterious murder at the end of season six a “cliffhanger,” it wasn’t really. We all knew the minute it was announced that Negan was coming to the show, that he would introduce himself by killing a main cast member. And that’s exactly what happened in the season six finale—he showed up and murdered somebody. We just didn’t find out who. So we haven’t been waiting all summer to see what happened next; we were waiting for a payoff to a scene that we’d not only watched, but that had been promised to us.

The short-term result of the show’s decision was that it kept the audience obsessing for six months, which we did, and ensured we’d watch the season seven premiere (I feel pretty confident guessing the ratings for the episode will be phenomenal.) And the showrunners took every opportunity to hype the “big reveal”—how the cliffhanger would all make sense, how it would shock us, how it would devastate us. By fetishizing this one plot development, the makers of The Walking Dead amplified not only our desire to see it, but our need for it to pay off—to a degree that the show couldn’t possibly achieve.

Moreover, we spent all summer basically considering every possible victim, every possible combination. We even wondered if Rick might get his hand cut off as he did in the comics, and the show teased and fed our suspicions and loved every minute of it. As a result, there was literally no one who could have been killed last night who would have truly been a surprise, which meant the dramatic weight of killing off these characters was negated (no pun intended, actually).

The show backed itself into a corner: Some characters were untouchable, because they form the foundation of the story (Rick, Carl), or because they are fan-favorites (Michonne, Daryl) and killing them would have been such a transparent bid to be “devastating” that they wouldn’t be narratively satisfying. Most of the other characters would also have been narratively unsatisfying, too, because they were too minor to upset any viewer if they were killed (Aaron, Rosita, Eugene, Sasha).

That literally left three people: Glenn, Maggie, and Abraham. For most of the summer I had sincerely doubted that TWD would show a pregnant woman being beaten to death with a barbed-wire-covered baseball bat on TV (although when the premiere seemed like it was going to skip a third-person view of the death, I thought that the show had rather cleverly gotten around showing it while still having the result). But in the end, the negative press that would result was too much for the show, and frankly, that’s fine.

That left Abraham and Glenn. Negan killed them both.

In the end, they chose the two most obvious answers. Thanks to having a summer to stew over it, the “two victim” theory had plenty of time to disseminate around the nerd-o-sphere, so the fact that Negan killed them both didn’t really make the scene any more shocking or give it any more impact.

Oh, it was plenty gruesome. The show even had Glenn’s eyeball fly out. But I just shrugged. The show had built it up too much. I had waited for it too long. And most disappointingly, the answer was more or less what most people had expected all along.

Had this scene played out at the end of season six, it would have been incredible. It would have done everything The Walking Dead wanted from this scene—it would have shocked us because we were still only guessing there’d be one victim back then. We also didn’t know, until the final moments of the finale, which characters would be facing Negan’s wrath in the final scene. The momentum was there. We were all invested.

And had they killed Abraham then, it would have had the impact that the showrunners wanted. And then Glenn’s death would have completely shocked us. It would have horrified us because of the gore. And we’d have felt the surviving characters’ pain and loss. And yeah, that would have been a negative feeling, but that’s what The Walking Dead trades in. More importantly, there would still be plenty of characters to be invested in and keep them watching. These deaths would have been depressing if they’d been in the season six finale; now, all these months later, they are primarily disappointing.

There’s another major problem here, in that everything that happened with Negan is 100 percent Rick’s fault. If Rick hadn’t picked this fight—if he hadn’t had such hubris as to attack an unknown force—Glenn and Abraham would be alive right now. Of course Negan would still kill them later, presumably, but at least we’d have the satisfaction—rather, we would not have the dissatisfaction of feeling Rick is, yet again, a bad, bad, often crazy leader. It detracts from Negan’s character too, because in a sense he was justified in punishing Rick’s group because they murdered a bunch of his guys first and without provocation.

Rick’s gone back and forth between being a good leader and a bad leader (with forays into both “good but crazy leader” and “bad and crazy leader”) that it’s getting hard to root for him. Sure, he may eventually get his shit together and lead the group with some degree of intelligence and something approaching humanity, but we’ve seen him fall apart too many times to ever really believe in him. And the fact that he keeps edging closer and closer to becoming one of the “villains” he keeps facing makes it harder and harder to root for him.

So! That there was also an episode that was somehow wrapped around the disappointing answer to pop culture’s biggest question is almost besides the point. The only thing that mattered was who Negan killed, and even then the show didn’t have the decency to just answer it right away. It began after the murder, without showing the victim(s), and then with Negan leading Rick away for a heart-to-heart in the RV. This is followed by Rick having montage after montage of all of the possible victims, the show trying to wring the last, tiniest drops of dramatic tension from the moment. It was instead annoying, and we didn’t see the actual death(s) scene until mid-way through.

Full review.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I would have
chopped Carl's arm off in a heartbeat, and then his head
:monster:

Top Bottom