Things Aerith is not

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
And i agree with vendel.
stains.jpg

also aerith lost her virginity to lightning, fang and vanille while she was dimension-hopping in her tardis

because she's also a time lord

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
エアリス can either be interpreted as aeris or aerith.

tho its weird that you never see セフィロス rendered as sephiross,

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
Not so weird. Aeris/th is some bastardization of "Earth," while Sephiroth is named after something that has a pre-established English translation from original Hebrew.

That said, I can't tell the difference in "One-Winged Angel." Might as well be "herpes-warts."

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But "Aeris" could just as easily been a bastardization of "Heiress," which is what I assumed it to be when I was playing it as a kid. You know, with that whole last-of-her-kind thing, heiress to the Cetra. There's also the Greek goddess of 'strife' Eris, which has its own set of fun implications and could have been the case.

(Not so much disputing what you said. Just the general notion that "Aeris" was this horrible travesty by the translation team.)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
But "Aeris" could just as easily been a bastardization of "Heiress," which is what I assumed it to be when I was playing it as a kid. You know, with that whole last-of-her-kind thing, heiress to the Cetra. There's also the Greek goddess of 'strife' Eris, which has its own set of fun implications and could have been the case.

(Not so much disputing what you said. Just the general notion that "Aeris" was this horrible travesty by the translation team.)

qfgj

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
this is just one of those things that doesn't translate well from one language to another. either they misspell it so that english speaking audiences can pronounce it correctly, or spell accurately and make us suffer through the horribly awkward "aeriTHHHH" in every installment

personally i find the ~misspelling far less irritating than dealing with the horrible way her name is pronounced now but dat's just me :monster:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
this is just one of those things that doesn't translate well from one language to another. either they misspell it so that english speaking audiences can pronounce it correctly, or spell accurately and make us suffer through the horribly awkward "aeriTHHHH" in every installment

personally i find the ~misspelling far less irritating than dealing with the horrible way her name is pronounced now but dat's just me :monster:
Since I'm a Homestuck loser I imagine Sollux calling her Aerith and then Vriska making fun of him cause it's so totally Aeris.

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
In addition to the great reasons already listed, I like Aeris because it's an anagram for Aries, the halfbreed ram which took Phrixus from the land of drought to Colchis and was sacrificed to make the golden fleece. It sounds a lot like the way Shinra views her.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I prefer Uncyclopaedia's version where Aerith is the angelic sweet flower girl and Aeris is her twin sister who works as a pimp and dominates every man she's been with.

:awesome:

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
I've always preferred Aeris, since I equate it with the original FF7. The name Aerith just reminds me of the monotone saint she was in ACC. I guess that's Mena Suvari's fault though. :monster:

EurAsianGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
FireMikoKagomechan
Holy shit I'm gone for a week preparing for finals and I find this post once I get back. LOL nice retaliation to my Tifa thread guys. :awesome:

However you forgot the stereotypes that Aeris is the slum drunk, is mentally insane (Hearing the planet talk and voices in her head) and that her dealings of "flowers" was really another name for weed. :monster: (Okay now I really want to see some fanart of Aeris as a badass, crazy alcoholic drug dealer who deals in the slums >.> That would be so epic, enough of this girly, angelic stuff people always draw her as XDD)

On a more serious note though in regards to the things Aeris gets accused of I have to say Tifa also got the Angelic, Mary-Sue schtick once, it's not just Aeris. (I know people actually think Tifa is a Mary-Sue, blasphemous!!!!)

Apparently being a really sweet girl who's good with kids, who was the most popular girl in her town, who has big boobs and a woman who can actually FIGHT (GASP say it isn't so!!) is actually considered a Mary-Sue. :awesome:

I suppose that makes me a Mary-Sue as well, cause you know I'm also good with kids, had some boys like me and I also have big boobs, and have gotten into fist fights before. Oh no women can't be in any way dynamic, we have to be plain and boring and weak and fade into the backround or else we get accused of being "Mary-Sues." And GOD FORBID we also happen to have big tits, that's just deplorable!!!! :monster:

Sometimes I really hate this fucking fandom and their treatment of women....

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Holy shit I'm gone for a week preparing for finals and I find this post once I get back. LOL nice retaliation to my Tifa thread guys. :awesome:

However you forgot the stereotypes that Aeris is the slum drunk, is mentally insane (Hearing the planet talk and voices in her head) and that her dealings of "flowers" was really another name for weed. :monster: (Okay now I really want to see some fanart of Aeris as a badass, crazy alcoholic drug dealer who deals in the slums >.> That would be so epic, enough of this girly, angelic stuff people always draw her as XDD)

On a more serious note though in regards to the things Aeris gets accused of I have to say Tifa also got the Angelic, Mary-Sue schtick once, it's not just Aeris. (I know people actually think Tifa is a Mary-Sue, blasphemous!!!!)

Apparently being a really sweet girl who's good with kids, who was the most popular girl in her town, who has big boobs and a woman who can actually FIGHT (GASP say it isn't so!!) is actually considered a Mary-Sue. :awesome:

I suppose that makes me a Mary-Sue as well, cause you know I'm also good with kids, had some boys like me and I also have big boobs, and have gotten into fist fights before. Oh no women can't be in any way dynamic, we have to be plain and boring and weak and fade into the backround or else we get accused of being "Mary-Sues." And GOD FORBID we also happen to have big tits, that's just deplorable!!!! :monster:

Sometimes I really hate this fucking fandom and their treatment of women....
H3Y 34G

TH3 ONLY ON3 WHO 4CTU4LLY B3L13V3S DUMB HUM4N SH1T L1K3 TH1S?

W4S NOT WHO 1 W4S 4DDR3SS1NG 1N TH1S THR34D

SO G3T YOUR HUM4N BON3 BULG3 3QU1V4L3NT B4CK 1N YOUR P4NTS PL34S3. >:]

a3ccef3b-5cb2-4792-beec-b4accc8bf3c6.gif

Last edited:

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
^ Is it normal that it takes me about 15 minutes to read that? :wacky:

On topic, all FF girls are made into Mary-Sues in the fandom. It's quite easy, actually.

But in reality, Tifa AND Aerith are as far from Mary-Sue as possible. Which is why they dominate every other FF chick out there (except maybe Celes because she's just wicked badass) :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Retaliation isn't the word. Open mockery, on the other hand, is.

Those aren't actual stereotypes of her. They're about as serious of stereotypes as 'You can turn Turn Tifa into Lara Croft and fight Chocobo WEAPON' are as rumors.

And without any legitimate flaws, they might have a case. Being a Mary Sue is really about being a two dimensional 'perfect' character.

You're missing the point of what makes a Mary Sue. And trust me, you're definitely no Mary Sue, even if you're Mary Poppins, Chun Li, and Dolly Parton all rolled into one. Mostly because of your crazed misandry and thoughts on what is and is not okay re: incest.

H3Y 34G

TH3 ONLY ON3 WHO 4CTU4LLY B3L13V3S DUMB HUM4N SH1T L1K3 TH1S?

W4S NOT WHO 1 W4S 4DDR3SS1NG 1N TH1S THR34D

SO G3T YOUR HUM4N BON3 BULG3 3QU1V4L3NT B4CK 1N YOUR P4NTS PL34S3. >:]

a3ccef3b-5cb2-4792-beec-b4accc8bf3c6.gif

Leave the 'in character' ranting to the RP section, and your 1337 to the MSPA thread, please.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Leave the 'in character' ranting to the RP section, and your 1337 to the MSPA thread, please.
Besides the Terezi speak, the rant had the point of 'the only one who believes Aerith is an insane drugged crack whore is you'. Course, I doubt you really read things other people post, so whatever. :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Besides the Terezi speak, the rant had the point of 'the only one who believes Aerith is an insane drugged crack whore is you'. Course, I doubt you really read things other people post, so whatever. :awesome:

I read the rant. I understood the rant. I don't disagree with what you're saying, and that's why I didn't comment on it, but that you were screaming at her in homestuck 1337.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
I read the rant. I understood the rant. I don't disagree with what you're saying, and that's why I didn't comment on it, but that you were screaming at her in homestuck 1337.
it's just the way terezi talks.

also i was pretty sure non-ltd threads did not need to be monitored as heavily as ltd. I never insulted her, I only said that my rant was not towards people like her who believe Aerith is a druglord crack whore or whatever.

Top Bottom