Thor

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I love Thor, actually I love Chris Hemsworth.

He is my ultimate man crush.

Edit: Speaking of Thor in Civil War has anyone read the Civil War comic? HOLY FUCK it's amazing.

Here's a snippet of Him and Tony meeting during civil war.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Thor has a new outfit it seems.

QB0Ervq5.jpg

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Official synopsis:

"In Marvel Studios’ ‘Thor: Ragnarok’, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok—the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization—at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger—the Incredible Hulk!"

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Again? That makes four (five if you count Winter Soldier) movies where the Avengers end up attacking each other at some point, (both Avengers, Civil War, and this one. Seriously, guys, they don't even need to use mind control anymore.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
This is like one of the oldest superhero tropes, though. It's only overplayed at the point where Marvel has taken it now: years of "event"-style storylines where heroes knowingly and willfully fight each other.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
That and it helps with suspension of disbelief.

Hero vs Villain theres always that notion in your head that for the most part 99% of the time the hero will win, the world won't get blown up. Nothing is at stake (this is why stories with more personal things, rather then the world, being at stake are more tense).

With Hero vs Hero even though likely neither of them will die it does help build that tension that something that isn't tangible is on the line and that there could be losses and ramifications. Hopefully leading up to a more rich and worthwhile story to be had.

Personally I'm glad there going for this again. How many throw away boring Marvel Villains who ultimately accomplish nothing have we had so far? I'd rather see Thor and Hulk duke it out on an alien planet over another Malekith, Whiplash, Dragon Arms man etc.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Well, yeah, there's nothing wrong with it in principle, it just really underlines the fact that not much has really been a significant threat to the avengers except the avengers. They're actually their own worst enemy.

@Walter Skinner: The villain can't have a total victory, but things can still matter. Maybe they can't destroy the city/planet, but they can destroy occupied buildings, hostages, or whatever, and you can make the audience care if you're willing to do the work. There can be small goals on the way to the big goal that still sting.

Huh...Was I always this grumpy?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
@Walter Skinner: The villain can't have a total victory, but things can still matter. Maybe they can't destroy the city/planet, but they can destroy occupied buildings, hostages, or whatever, and you can make the audience care if you're willing to do the work. There can be small goals on the way to the big goal that still sting.

It's a mix of caring and susspension of disbelief. Did New York in Avengers ever feel like it was actually under threat when you saw it the first time? I mean aside from the quick set pieces of like Cap saving people in that one building.

Did you ever think the city would get wrecked? Or did you spend most of the time saying this is awesome seeing the snakeplane thing just tear through building after building?
Even the city itself never built more tension than just being an awesome set piece to see get wrecked but never truly be put in danger. Same goes for that impossible to remember city name from AoU.

Same for Hostage scenes. Avengers sorta had it with the scene where Cap saves all those people but it wasn't exactly tense. Nor was the scene from TWS where Robert Redford had the Shield board captive.

I'm not really arguing it's impossible to do suspension of disbelief for these movies. They certainly have succeeded in certain aspects and attempts, but over all with the formula that has been used repeatedly they haven't really pulled it off all that well.

Now fighting each other , or having Zemo tier villains on the other hand.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
There's nothing wrong with the formula, but by this stage it is wearing a bit thin for me.

Avengers was brilliant, and the Asgardian god of trickery had to put some work into turning them against each other.
the wreck of the helicarrier was a great sequence, and all those jokes about Hawkeye must have forgotten him bringing down a helicarrier with an arrow

When mind control happened in Avengers 2
with Scarlet Witch handwavy stuff
I went 'oh, ok, this again.'

By Winter Soldier I had lost interest a bit, and in Civil War it began to seem contrived.

There is nothing wrong in principle with it, but I think they need something else as well by this point. If in all your big flagship movies the key threat is the heroes turning on each other, well... maybe it's time to tweak the formula a bit? It happens a lot in the comics, but the comics also have lots of other storylines in between.

I agree that this formula doesn't always pull off stakes well, but that doesn't mean it can't, it just means investing a bit more in your villains (and NPCs?) could be worth considering. (Haven't seen GotG or Ant-man btw, don't know how they fit.) We have had two great villains in Loki and Kilgrave, but a couple of others could have joined them if they'd only been handled better.

Dammit, I need to stop griping.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
AHHHH HELAAAAAAAAAA!

I saw these earlier but I was at work so I couldn't comment but ahhhhhhhh!

I love how Cate Blanchett looks; I almost don't even recognize her!!! The eye makeup is amazeballs askfvsejbseurgnbxdfgb :drool:

I do hope we get to see her in that magnificent headdress that we've seen in the concept art, it looked so badass.

UGH. HYPE LEVELS INCREASED. I don't even give a fuck about Loki right now. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Looks pretty rad
narok
:D

Literally went "OH SHIIIIIEET" when Hela destroyed Mjolnir.

"YAAAAS! HE'S A FRIEND FROM WORK! :D"
That cracked me up xD

Last edited:

Ghost X

Nice visuals. Cate Blanchett convincingly looks like a force to be reckoned with as Hel. Looks barely recognisable too. Woot, re: Hulk, etc. I felt the Led Zeppelin track seemed ironically out of place (given the song) though.

Disliked the first Thor movie so much that I didn't watch the second (a decision which the trailers and poor critical response helped :p), so may have to bear it at some stage to perhaps get a better grip on things going on in this one.

The second one has some fun visuals and concepts, but aside from that, is about on the same level as the first imo.

This looks fantastic though. I think they try to make Thor a bit too goofy, to try and offset the whole Norse god thing. This looks like it'll be a bit more "serious" while still keeping the marvel humor.

Top Bottom