Three Reasons Why There Shouldn’t Be a Final Fantasy VII Remake

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Yeah, after all SE is full of random guys who don't know zip about programming or graphic design :monster:

This guy is a zealot, that's for sure.

Dumbass, Glaurung. The term you're searching for is "dumbass".

I think I can save everyone the time of reading that article by summarizing it in a single sentence.

"WAAAAAH, FF7 IS TEH BEST RP EVAR, WAAAAAAH, REMAKES ARE ICKY, WAAAAAAAAH! *fapfapfapfapfap*."

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm not a huge fan either. I mean, it's great, but I've personally witnessed people fainting in front of it. It's not that great. I would put more stock in Michelangelo's David as the ULTIMATE-MASTERPIECE.
*renaissance battle music*

Babble Fish

Rookie Adventurer
The Mona Lisa's a piece of shit.
Leonardo in drag is not amusing at all. I think he was much more interesting as a scientist than artist.
ANYWAY, I hope we get a fucking remake. I want to see Aerith die in HDMI. *OHNOIDIDN'T*

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The fact that a nerd with a mouse or pen can remake the damn thing in fucking Paint is, imho, proof that it's really not that awesome. Her 'smile' looks kinda like she's either about to vomit, or just pooped her pants. She's fat, and her skin color are sick in the not-so-positive way.

finally, Leonardo was a fag. Trufax. Argumentum ad pathicum.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
It's not even doing it in paint or with a mouse...do that shit with the tools DaVinci had to work with and I'll suck you off... and swallow.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Don't misunderstand me, though, Tres. I'm never stating it's bad! I'm just saying that I think it's awesome from the technical point of view, just not so much on the "concept" point of view.

As in, doing what he did, when he did, with what he did is godly stuff, but I just don't think that smile has as many properties as I've read around.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
^I think the Animu in your signature is prettier than the Mona Lisa. xD

*flees*

rbccxz.jpg

Alex Strife said:
As in, doing what he did, when he did, with what he did is godly stuff, but I just don't think that smile has as many properties as I've read around.

Well that's a lot better than half the horseshit that's been spread about in this thread. I can respect that, at least.

Everyone else sucks cocks and has as much of an eye for art as Lady Gaga does for music. Except for Tres, Fairheartedstrife, and myself. Mr. Ite's okay too.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I don't get why so many people dislike the Mona Lisa. I know I couldn't paint anything on that level of quality.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
And when I walked into this thread I expected people to be talking about a Final Fantasy VII remake. Silly me! :awesome:

As for Mona Lisa... she's not my favorite work by da Vinci, but it's way better than what I, or anyone else that I know, can do. Artists nowadays put a microscopic dot on a piece of canvas and are considered brilliant, so, to quote Alex Strife, "doing what he did, when he did, with what he did is godly stuff".

Yeah, you might criticize Mona Lisa for her looks, but for da Vinci to get that down on canvas is pretty awesome.

I'd like to see anyone here do that, with all the detail. (No, I will not be sucking anyone off it see it.)

Ite

AKA
Ite
I don't think that's the issue I have with it. The issue I have with it is that directly behind everyone staring at the Mona Lisa is this:

death-virgin.jpg

Which is 10 times more interesting, provocative and appealing to me. No one looks at this brilliant work, there aren't any crowds there. Turn around and you get this:

louvre-mona-lisa%7Es600x600.jpg

Mona Lisa is brilliant -- no doubt. But it's not alone in the crowd, and the problem is that everyone thinks it is.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
There is a lot of fucking stupid in this thread now. STFU and get back on topic.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
What's there to on-topic about, no one is going to defend that guy's atrocious post. Much better to have a pretentious discussion about art and sucking cocks.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Then people should suck cocks and talk shit in another thread.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Any suggestions as to the REAL three best reasons why there shouldn't be a remake?

"We would have to wait" is stupid.
"I hate change" fags should hide away with their PS1s and fap all day. (I intend to)
"FFVII iz best game evar" fags should do the same. (Again, I intend to.)

So please enlighten us?

I think that there is really only one reason why the remake shouldn't happen, and that is simply that it will replace the original. Say what you want about staying home with your PS1, but to the world outside of you (and your select few snobby friends) FFVII will

If I were to divide it into three sub-reasons, here they are:

1. Fandom disconnect - as if there wasn't enough disparity between FF fans when the original Final Fantasy VII was released. A remake would create the biggest rift yet between people who hate and people who love the sequels. This 'new canon' (and it will be a new canon) will prevent scores of discussions, debates, because those of us who liked the original canon will have to tiptoe around Squeenix's new canon every time we want to talk about anything.

2. Too much bushido bullshit. Final Fantasy VII's world is dark and unforgiving, where - on two seperate occasions - good worthy people are attacked while their guards are down and brutally slaughtered on camera. Crisis Core turned Zack's shocking demise into an overlong aesop about dreams, honour and other crap. The original Final Fantasy VII was a step away from the D&D ripoff games of the NES and SNES in favour of an Eastern, anime style. The other entries in the Compilation are barely comprehensible to an average Westerner unless research into Japanese culture and vocabulary has been done. This will make the remake unappealing to a vast majority of Westerners - and as a consequence, the original FFVII will cease to attract the kind of audience it used to, in favour of the Otaku (who, lets face it, would have eaten this shit up anyway).

3. No one will respect it. I'm not alone in writing university dissertations on Final Fantasy VII. In 2003, a good friend of mine wrote his Master's thesis on Video Games as the next great form of literature, using Final Fantasy VII as his mainfocus. Have better games come out since? Sure, I would say that Mass Effect is a really great modern example of the narrative quality of video games, among others. But Final Fantasy VII - as a relic of its time - demands respect in the field of literary study. The way the narrative is crafted, the subtext, character development, world building, almost every element is well crafted. It's not the Mona Lisa, but this is a new medium we're talking about, and FFVII used the technology it had to effectively make us feel and think - moreso than any other game Squaresoft has made. Ever. It's not the funnest game, but it is the closest Square has gotten to high art. A remake will be a glitzy, glamorous, CGI explosion that's full of flair and impressive visuals and anything remotely interesting about it will get lost in the shuffle. Badly dubbed voices will eliminate your mind's ability to really get behind the dialogue. Bright flashes and loud noises will dull the emotional impact of, say, the eery way Dyne fell off that cliff for the last time. By replacing the old version, Final Fantasy VII will become another one of those "games from Japan" just like Final Fantasy VIII, X, XIII and on.

Or... Maybe I'm afraid that a remake will expose Final Fantasy VII for what it really is - a garbled mess of a story with weak characters and boring, hamfisted themes about life and the environment.

RawrieStrife

Rawr - I <3 U !!!
After reading all of these pages, I'm beginning to understand the fact that this forum is famous for its off topicness.

@Mona Lisa - Mona Lisa is a great piece of art. What makes it great is that numerous people - artists? - tried to repaint her smile and all of them failed miserably. imo, I don't think that Da Vinci himself can create an exact copy of Mona Lisa's smile.

As for the remake, whether there will be or not, is fine by me. It's nice to see FFVII in high quality. And a little change is good, but totally messing up the story is another thing.
If Square will make a remake, they should at least stick with the original story, rather than adding random stuff here and there, that would really be confusing.

And anyway, its Square's decision. If you don't want a remake, then don't play it when it comes out (if it will). You still have your old ps1 cds, so unless you lost it or broke it, it will still be there.

Top Bottom