TLS Music Club!

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
21 April, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Anger (n.) - 1. a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility 2. (v.) fill (someone) with anger; provoke anger in.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

What is your favourite instrumental song?

triva.png

LAST WEEK’S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. A. Macho types wanted: must have moustache.
    • The original Village People line-up was recruited via an advert that read, "Macho types wanted: must have moustache"
      source
  2. Freebie
    • I can’t find a source verifying this shit D:
  3. A. The Dust Brothers
    • The Dust Brothers name and trademark was used by the British duo that eventually became The Chemical Brothers as they began their career. They took it as a homage to the American group, but they changed their name when they were unable to convince the real Dust Brothers to sell the name.
      source

THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA:
  1. Name the only rock’n’roll song to reach US No. 1 twice.
    A. ‘You Shook Me All Night’ AC/DC
    B. ‘Pour Some Sugar on Me’ by Def Leppard
    C. ‘Bird is the Word’ by Trashmen
    D. ‘The Twist’ by Chubby Checker
  2. What do Pete Best, Stuart Stutcliffe, Brian Epstein, George Martin, George Best, and Billy Preston all have in common?
    A. They’re all members of the notorious 85 Club
    B. They have all been referred to as ‘The Fifth Beatle’
    C. They have all been a member of Guns n’ Roses at some point in their careers.
    D. They’re all bacon enthusiasts
  3. Snow Patrol was originally called what before changing their name in 1995?
    A. Husky Dawgs
    B. Igloo Canoe
    C. Polar Bear
    D. Ice n Brice

aaad

Pro Adventurer

Shostakovich Symphony no. 10 mvt 2

Back with my man Shost! This is one hell of a killer to play and an absolutely amazing 4 minutes of music. Symphony no. 10 was premiered in 1953, shortly after the death of Stalin. This movement in particular is very different in feel from the rest of the symphony. There are many variations in specifics regarding interpretation but one of the main understandings is that it was a movement written to reoresent Stalin and his regime. There is so much anger in there - anger at the pain inflicted on others, anger and rage of Stalin himself, anger that he ever existed. This particular recording is one of the pacier interpretations and feels a lot more like it's representing the absolute chaos if the regime and the insanity brought about by his tyranny. Conversely, there are some slightly "broader" ("slower", whilst true, doesn't feel like the right word to use here) interpretations which I don't quite like the sound of as much, but really do bring out the more imposing and foreboding side of anger. I highly suggest giving this a listen. It's fast, hectic and will is the equivalent of orchestral metal (soneone did a metal cover of this actually).

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B

This song makes my blood boil. Although I can't relate to every experience, many parts of this song exemplify my anger and hurt growing up as a person of colour in a country that made me and often still makes me feel lesser for being so, in forms that are beyond just verbally communicated to me - of their behaviour towards me, their suspicions, their patronising questions and assumptions. I'm reminded almost every day that I'm different in the only home I've ever known, and this track reminds me that I'm not alone in my contempt.

I'm sorry, it might be lazy, but there is no other song that gets me shaking and palpitating with fury, that brazenly tugs at my heart more for this week's theme.

Favourite instrumental song would have to be between
or
. BUT I am reaaally digging Engelwood's stuff at the moment,
in particular.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
For anger, I'll throw in

One of my all time favorite bands. I haven't been able to listen to them since Chester's passing :sigh: but I have a lot of fond memories of this song - as well as their other songs - helping me get through my angry and angsty teen years. It's really therapeutic just belting this out while driving or something.

As for instrumental...I'm not sure if these are exactly what you had in mind for "instrumental," but two pieces stand out to me, particularly for the stories behind them:

An extremely rudimentary piece, but I remember absolutely LOVING this in middle school for the way it was arranged. It's arranged into four sections and tells the story of a young man represented by the introductory trumpet solo. The first section entitled "Home" (:42) is quite self explanatory but conveys such a sweet and wholesome melody that does, indeed, feel like home. This tune is probably my favorite.

The second section, "Recruitment" (1:46), is kicked off with a snare drum and flute riff, followed by horns meant to convey a strong sense of patriotism.

Next is "Departure" (2:50) where you hear some percussion effects mimicking the sound of a train - but what I find really clever is the "fading" reprise of "Recruitment" and especially "Home" at 3:05 as our soldier begins to feel a little homesick (ugh my heart).

3:54 kicks off the fourth section, "Into Battle." It's a dramatic section, albeit still very rudimentary. In any case, the piece reaches a climax at 5:12 and you hear two loud "gun shots," denoted by a snare drum.

My absolute FAVORITE part is everything that happens after those two gun shots...with the heartbreaking reprise of "Home," the part that just wrecks me is the echoing of the first solo representing the young man, this time played by a euphonium (6:40), as the fallen soldier reminisces on his home and slowly meets death.

Again, a very simple piece but middle school Sab thought it was so powerful! And it was my first time playing a piece arranged in a type of story like this. MY HEART!!!!

A beautiful piece dedicated to the composer's mother. Tugs at my heart strings as well.

Maestro & Fox Music said:
Her life was heroic, but without fanfare.
She worked and hoped and inspired.
She loved and was loved.
Her life was a noble song of quiet courage.

Dedicated to the memory of his mother, Larry Daehn describes her as a brave woman who raised her family through the hardships of farm life in Wisconsin. Despite the loss of both legs due to diabetes, she lived with nobility and quiet courage. She loved to sing. These qualities are evident in this composition, which was written in the summer of 1995 following Lois Daehn's death. It is a song that is passed between the horns, saxophones, a solo trumpet, percussion, and finally to the full ensemble. Building from a quiet pianissimo to the strength of a fortissimo, it concludes with the gentle chords symbolic of the open Wisconsin farmland and a full and rewarding life. With Quiet Courage was premiered by the U.S. Navy Band in our nation's capital in 1995.

Last edited:

Ghost X

I don't have an angry song that comes to mind, and after extensively googling, I still can't find anything I am happy with. Angsty music from my teens just doesn't do it anymore (and arguably, didn't to begin with). Nothing really quenches my rage :wacky:, and so I think I have discovered a new genre of music, because I got some ideas :P. Granted, what Mao posted makes me think there's probably a classical song out there that would do the job, but I'm thinking: imagine if Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Kevin Parker, and Prokofiev all got angry together, and made songs together, I think that would really hit it :P.

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic off the top of my head is my favourite instrumental song (ignoring the speech in the first ten seconds or so, of course :P). I feel a bit uninformed on the matter though, and seeing all these lists of instrumentals makes me want to listen to them all, but that'll have to wait. Think Funkadelic would be hard to top though :P.

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
HI HELLO I'M FANCY

28 April 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Badass (adj.) - tough, uncompromising, intimidating, awesome, cool.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

What are your five favourite songs right now?

Bonus Question: What song reminds you of our darling, FancySycamoreTree? <333

Bonus Bonus Question: If you were to write a song about our darling, Fancy, what would you title it?

triva.png

LAST WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. D. &#8216;The Twist&#8217; by Chubby Checker
    • According to Billboard, &#8216;The Twist&#8217; was the only single to be No. 1 twice on the Hot 100, in two different chart runs.
      source
  2. X. CORRECT ANSWER
  3. C. Polarbear
    • After briefly using the name Polarbear and released the EP Starfighter Pilot (1997) and losing Morrison as a member, the band became Snow Patrol in 1997 and added Quinn to its line-up.
      source

THIS WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA:
  1. Who wrote &#8216;Fur Elise&#8217;?
    A. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    B. Johann Sebastian Bach
    C. Franz Schubert
    D. Ludwig Van Beethoven
  2. A &#8216;sackbut&#8217; is a type of ___ originating in the Renaissance era.
    A. Trumpet
    B. Drum
    C. Flute
    D. Trombone
  3. Oasis&#8217;s Noel Gallagher and Status Quo&#8217;s Francis Rossi have what in common?
    A. They share the same birthday.
    B. They share the same aunt.
    C. They were once in the same band.
    D. They haven&#8217;t anything in common. This is a trick question.

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
HELLO FANCY

First song that comes to mind for 'badass' is
. It was my 'walking to da club' song at one point and I felt like a baws :P

Bonus: Current 'walking to da club like a baws' song is
. Fight me!

Five favourite songs right now:

Bonus Question: What song reminds you of our darling, FancySycamoreTree?

Bonus Bonus Question: If you were to write a song about our darling, Fancy, what would you title it?

HoeStrumpet

Ghost X

Off the top of my head for the badass theme, I'd have to say Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix, which is sad, because I think I've used that answer about three times now. When I think of badass, I think a person who casually does cool things with little to no effort, like it is natural, and there is a casualness to the Voodoo Child song's sound, which I think would perfectly capture when a badass exhibits their badassery every single time. Can't think of other contenders at the moment.

Favourite songs right now? This hints at the contemporary, but that would change every time you ask me. I'll stick to more solid ground :P. In no particular order. Cross my Heart by Melody's Echo Chamber, Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix, Echoes by Pink Floyd, Eventually by Tame Impala.

I think capturing the complexities of Fancy in a song is beyond human capacity. My mind wants to say Be Proud of your Kids by Melody's Echo Chamber. Not due to lyrics (which I think are in french and I pay little attention to), but the uplifting and pleasant sound of it, just like Fancy :awesome:. Song title: "Uplifting and pleasant"? :P. Think I'll have to rethink that one.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Badass:

Hot Right Now

Rita Ora pretty much oozes badass to me and this song is pretty much just here challenging someone to step to her.

Five favourites:
Heroes by Måns Zelmerlöw
One More Time and Get Lucky by Daft Punk
Lean On by Major Lazer & D Snake
Bailando by Enrique Iglesias
(I'm all over place, sue me)

Bonus: Don't think there's any song that encapsulates Fancy completely, but I'll pick Everytime we Touch by Cascada

Bonus Bonus: 一些东西嘴唇东西土豆

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I think capturing the complexities of Fancy in a song is beyond human capacity. My mind wants to say Be Proud of your Kids by Melody's Echo Chamber. Not due to lyrics (which I think are in french and I pay little attention to), but the uplifting and pleasant sound of it, just like Fancy :awesome:. Song title: "Uplifting and pleasant"? :P. Think I'll have to rethink that one.

Ugh, my heart. You are so sweet. :'(

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
Badass:

Just LISTEN TO IT!!!! SO badass...

5 favorite songs right now:

I'm in a very mellow mood right now, I suppose!

Bonus:

I've been sitting here trying to articulate why this reminds me of Fancy and I'm struggling SO BAD but for some reason, every time I listen to this song I think of her! Perhaps it's the simple beauty of it (lyrically, melodically, etc) that strikes me -- Fancy is probably one of the most complex people I know, and yet, there is something so simple in the way she loves and cares and cherishes people and things that are dear to her heart. Also, there is this gushing sense of adoration from the artist that, I think, mirrors how much I adore this darling as well! ;)

Bonus Bonus:
Gentle Fortitude (Freestyle) off the hot new mixtape dropped by solo playette sab titled "TRINITIZZY"

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Yo.

I just wanna give a big shout out and thanks to sab for posting on Saturday in my absence.

Your bonus questions (:watchingu:) were incredibly sweet and everyone&#8217;s answers here made me feel really, really shy in a good way and/or made me lmao HAHAHA.

You lot are my family and I&#8217;m lucky to be able to call you as such. :properhug:

Oi, but back to business.

The trivia was hurting my soul so I wanted to do something slightly different LOL.

Was this the result of a bout of laziness?? You decide!!

5th May, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Carefree (adj.) - free from anxiety or responsibility.

personal_question.png

What&#8217;s a song/band/album/artist that you used to love/obsess over, but now hate/dislike/no longer care for? Why do you think you stopped?

triva.png

1. D. Ludwig Van Beethoven
    • One of Beethoven&#8217;s most popular compisitions.
      source
  2. D. Trombone
    • A sackbut is a type of trombone from the Renaissance and Baroque eras, characterised by a telescopic slide that is used to vary the length of the tube to change pitch.
      source
  3. A. They share the same birthday.

1. Finish this verse with the correct lyric: We come from the land of the ice and snow.
    A. Grab an icicle and stab a hoe
    B. From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
    C. Where the rivers gleam and the snowcaps glow.
    D. Mama told me where the birds would go.
  2. Which song does this lyric come from? Nothing you can make that can&#8217;t be made/No one you can save that can&#8217;t be saved
    A. &#8216;Island in the Sun&#8217; by Weezer
    B. &#8216;Sakura&#8217; by Utada Hikaru
    C. &#8216;Dark Red&#8217; by Steve Lacy
    D. &#8216;All You Need Is Love&#8217; by The Beatles
  3. Which band sings these lyrics? Her Hitler hairdo is making me feel ill
    A. Nirvana
    B. The Pixies
    C. Tame Impala
    D. Radiohead

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
For carefree, I love
and the commentary on that dangerous combination of youth, hedonism and mindless indulgence.

What&#8217;s a song/band/album/artist that you used to love/obsess over, but now hate/dislike/no longer care for? Why do you think you stopped?

All I can think of is the random assortment of identical-sounding J-pop I used to listen to. I still have select favourites in my music library, but I think I stopped mostly because I began to find the high-pitched singing irritating and the bubblegum tunes repetitive, yikes.

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
Carefree:

Today I don't feel like doing anything
I just wanna lay in my bed
Don't feel like picking up my phone
So leave a message at the tone
'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything.

Uh!
I'm gonna kick my feet up
Then stare at the fan
Turn the TV on, throw my hand in my pants
Nobody's gonna tell me I can't

I'll be lounging on the couch,
Just chillin' in my snuggie
Click to MTV, so they can teach me how to dougie
'Cause in my castle I'm the freaking man

What’s a song/band/album/artist that you used to love/obsess over, but now hate/dislike/no longer care for? Why do you think you stopped?
While on the topic of Bruno Mars, I used to really like his song "Treasure," but now I can't stand it! It's a weird story, but, the only reason why I don't like it is 'cause my dance team was competing in this competition one year, and I guess that was the song of the year or something because EVERY SINGLE dance team had a "Treasure" piece and my competitive ass thought it was SO. LAME. WE didn't, of course, 'cause my team was hipster af, and our shit was unique. (Oh yeah and we won 1st place, in case you were wondering MWAHAHA)

Ghost X

A song that evokes a sense of the "carefree" is another theme that to me must have very specific conditions, which are very hard to find in a song. It is almost like the badass theme in a sense in many ways, since a badass is pretty carefree in a sense :P.

It can't just be a simple song that is "happy", because most happy songs allude to something that is not natural. Something like "Sunshine, lollypops, and rainbows" to me alludes to the worst kinds of happiness, heading toward the deeply delusional. You got songs like "Shiny happy people" that too almost seem cultish (though I do like the song, despite REM apparently hating it). I think Goldfrapp deconstructed this delusional sound really well with their song "Happiness".

No, a carefree song literally has to not hint at other baggage. Mustn't be a power anthem of any sort that is about being a certain way in spite of something: "Hey, look at me, I'm carefree, despite all the things you / life did to me!" because that's not carefree :P. No pride or vanity whatsoever must exist, because that's not carefree. Gotta be a positive sounding song though.

After all that, I'm going to go with B52's Roam. Lacking time to research or think harder :P.

As for bands I used to like and no longer do, well, Korn :P. Think I've mentioned that before. Listening to their music now (their old stuff, never mind their new crap), and wonder how I ever liked it :P. Angsty teenage hormones, I suspect.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
The personal question this week was inspired by my home-skizzle, Ghost-Xizzle, the bombest hizzle fo shizzle!

12th May, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Hypnotic (adj.) - the state of being spellbinding or mesmerising.

personal_question.png

What song and/or album would be your theme?

triva.png

1. B. From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

2. D. &#8216;All You Need Is Love&#8217; by The Beatles

3. D. Radiohead
    • Performed by Radiohead.
      source

1. Which famous guitar player was thrown out of school for holding the hand of a white girl in class?
    A. Jack White
    B. Eric Clapton
    C. Jimi Hendrix
    D. Slash
  2. Complete this lyric from Ram Jam&#8217;s Black Betty:Whoa, Black Betty
    A. Whoo-pee-whoo
    B. Bam-ba-lam
    C. Ba-da-boom
    D. Ba-dum-tish
  3. Which pop star is godmother to Elton John and David Furnish&#8217;s son Zachary?

A. Britney Spears
    B. Beyonce
    C. Selena Gomez
    D. Lady Gaga

Ghost X

Your images died :P.

As for hypnotic. We humans spend most of our time in a trance of some sort, apparently, not fully conscious of everything going on, especially when performing tasks that we're used to. For me, I'm just going to go with music that gets me "in the zone" or sustains me in such a place. For something completely different, I'm going to go with this track I'm listening to for the first time right now, as I do some painting (on a break now obviously). "Birth Of Liquid Plejades" By Tangerine Dream. Found this in a list of "If you like the Bladerunner soundtrack, you might like this" kind of thing. Not complaints so far :awesome:.

As far as inspiring this question, I thought it was going to be something about feeling hangry :monster:. What's my theme song or album, eh? I dunno. Today I discovered an affinity with the Kiki's Delivery Service movie, given the apparent themes in it, even though I have never watched it (yes, outrageous, I know) :P. A song or album however that portrays me... album-wise, I wanna say Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, but not exactly :P.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I've been looking for days and, for the life of me, I just can't find a song that I enjoy that I would consider 'hypnotic', goddamnit.

I'll keep searching, but for now: A song, that may or may not be my &#8216;theme&#8217;, that resonates profoundly with who I am/who I&#8217;ve been is
. The funny thing is that I&#8217;d only discovered the song recently, but when I listened intently it kind of hit me like a semi and while I&#8217;ve managed to not cry every time I hear it anymore, it&#8217;s still the kind of song I have to listen to sparingly to not overwhelm me.

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
Hypnotic:

This was a HARD ONE! I can't really think of a hypnotic song, but...I chose this one 'cause Jhene's voice GOT ME UNDER A SPELL!!!

Personal Theme Song:

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I didn’t post last week and that shit was on purpose because I’ve decided that I’m only gonna post biweekly. I only talked to two regulars here about this (so, about half of the club :wacky:) so they might’ve seen it coming, but I should’ve clarified last week what was happening if only to stay professional n shite! Sorry!

Anywhose, the theme this week will be something of a challenge methinks.

26th May, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Minimalism (adj.) - a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity.

personal_question.png

Is there an artist, a band, an album or song that you credit for changing your life or perspective in a significant way?

triva.png

PREVIOUS TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. C. Jimi Hendrix
    • There’s a published book with this fact! It happened when Jimi was 16.
      source
  2. B. Bam-ba-lam
  3. D.Lady Gaga

THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA:
  1. Name the band from a major recording label that has had the same original line-up of members for over 40 years.
    A. Oasis
    B. Guns’n’Roses
    C. The Rolling Stones
    D. ZZ Top
  2. In the late 1950s, which rock’n’roll star was only filmed from the waist up because his/her hip swinging was deemed too suggestive?
    A. Michael Jackson
    B. Elvis Presley
    C. Buddy Holly
    D. Randy Jones
  3. Complete this lyric: Blackhole sun, won’t you come…
    A. What is done can’t be undone
    B. Won’t you come (won’t you come)
    C. And wash away the rain.
    D. And make me feel the pain

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Minimalism? fr*ck me, most of the music I usually listen to is the exact opposite, :monster:.

But anyway; Ulver, Lyckantropen Themes and Teachings in Silence are probably the most minimalistic wotsits I have in my library, I haven't listened to those two albums in years probably but at the time they made a huge impact on me somehow, because the music just slowly develops and progresses over time. and shit.

Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works probably also fit the bill, not something I've listened to a lot though.

Top Bottom