• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Translated Interviews from the Kaitai Shinsho (AKA Dismantled) Complete Guide

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Included in this thread are English translations of staff interviews from the Final Fantasy VII Kaitai Shinsho Complete Guide (ファイナルファンタジーVII解体真書ザ・コンプリート, AKA "Dismantled"). The book was published March 24, 1997, and the interviews were conducted after the Japanese release of Final Fantasy VII (January 31, 1997). As such, these are some of the earliest staff interviews about Final Fantasy VII, and they contain valuable insight into when and how some of the story, systems, and techniques used in Final Fantasy VII took shape.

The guide contains nine interviews, the last of which takes up two pages instead of one. In cases where interviews were conducted with multiple respondents, the transcript is a combination of their (unattributed) responses. While this is a little annoying, you can usually infer who says what from the context. I've also included the Japanese text for readers' convenience.

Special thanks to do_it_again_chen at *cough* e-hentai dot org for uploading the original scans.

Thank you to Shinra Archaeology Department's @Obsidian Fire and @Cae Lumis for fielding questions about the content and providing text for the profiles and highlighted quotes.

Update 5/12/2022: @Odysseus has done the absolutely bonkers task of photoshopping these translations back onto the original Japanese pages. I've swapped out the pictures in this thread with his work. I've also updated the translations to incorporate the minor changes I made while proofreading them for Odysseus. Enjoy!
_________

33.png

Tetsuya Nomura (Lead Character Designer)

Joined Square on April 16, 1991. Involved in the development of Final Fantasy V and on. Served multiple leading roles in the development of Final Fantasy VII, including Character Designer.

“We worked tirelessly to incorporate the perspectives of many different people. Final Fantasy is a series that cannot be made by one person alone.”

Q: Is there any sort of secret story behind how the characters of Final Fantasy VII came to be?

A: As a matter of fact, in the beginning we had only Aerith—there was no Tifa. Then one Sunday night I was on the phone with Director Kitase and suggested, “Let’s kill off Aerith and bring in Tifa” [laughs]. It wasn’t always the type of story where two heroines appear but one winds up dying.

Q: You mentioned that you were involved in other aspects of the project aside from character design.

A: I also came up with the basic premise for the story—stuff like who everyone is and what they’re trying to accomplish. I tried to think about the story context, such as Cloud being an ex-SOLDIER who chases after Sephiroth, in parallel with the character design. Those two plot elements—Cloud’s objective and the journey to find the Promised Land—served as the starting point for the entire story.

Q: You also had a hand in designing the game’s monsters, correct?

A: I collaborated with two other staff members on that. As we were designing the monsters, we also had to consider how they would attack, which was surprisingly difficult. The hardest of all was Yang, an enemy that appears in the basement of the Shinra Manor. We repeatedly went back to the drawing board in an attempt to make it more zombie-like. As a result of Yang’s exaggerated torpor, the battle became very time-consuming, and people complained [laughs]. Yang is just one of several rare monsters that appear only in specific places. I hope players will take the time to explore and seek them all out.

Q: Were there any other jobs you were placed in charge of?

A: I was also the one who created the limit break system. In the previous game, Final Fantasy VI, characters gained access to special skills when they were close to dying. However, perhaps because they appeared so rarely, players barely took notice of them. So, I tried to implement a more useful system this time around. The summoning magic had become very flashy looking, but the protagonists’ polygons could be moved with a lot of freedom as well, so I leveraged character animations to create spectacular limit breaks.

Q: Even just designing characters is a difficult task, but this time your involvement with Final Fantasy VII went well beyond that.

A: There was even more [laughs]. I also drew the storyboards for the summoning magic. After we successfully dealt with the animation where Titan peels up part of the ground, we were able to use that effect to raise enemies up [on a piece of earth] during Gigaflare.

Q: Which summoning magic would you say is your favorite?

A: That’s a tough one. They’re all pretty neat, but if I had to pick, I’d say Titan and Ifrit. Knights of the Round is also a good one. I expected it to be a long summon even from the beginning, and once it passed the one-minute mark, I figured I may as well go all out [laughs].

Q: Unlike with previous Final Fantasy games, it seems like the interpretation of this game’s ending varies from person to person.

A: That’s something we had in mind as we made it. Some people might think that the Northern Cave is the Promised Land, while others might say that any place rooted in the earth is the Promised Land. Personally, I’m of the opinion that Midgar is the Promised Land, based on the fact that it’s full of vegetation at the end, and it’s the place where Aerith—an Ancient—directs all that Lifestream. But I don’t know how Nojima, the lead scenario writer, would respond to that [laughs].

Q: Considering that it’s given rise to differing interpretations even among those who made it, this story sure does stimulate players’ imaginations.

A: That’s because it’s lovingly composed from over 100 different people’s ideas and perspectives. Historically, Final Fantasy games have always been made that way. All I’ll say is that you can’t produce a work of this caliber with one person alone.

'91年4月16日、スクウェアに入社。『FFV』以降の開発に携わる。『FFVII』では、キャラクターデザインのほか、多数のパートを担当。

「多くの人の意見を惜しまずに投入した——『FF』はひとりでは作れない作品なんです」

Q: キャラクターが誕生するまでの隠されたエピソードのようなものはありますか?

A:「じつは、はじめはエアリスだけで、ティファはいなかったんです。ある日曜の夜、ディレクターの北瀬さんに電話で『エアリス殺しましょう、ティファ出しましょう』と提案しました(笑)。ヒロインがふたり登場し、片方が死んでしまうというタイプのものがなかったので」

Q: キャラクターデザイン以外のことにも関わっていらっしゃるとのお話ですが?

A:「ストーリーのベースとなる案も出しました。こいつは何者で何をしようとしているのか、とか。たとえば、クラウドは元ソルジャーでセフィロスを追っているなどの設定も、キャラクターデザインと平行して考えました。そういったクラウドの目的と、約束の地を求めて旅をする、というふたつの要素が最初にあって、それがストーリー全体のとっかかりになったんです」

Q: モンスターのデザインも手がけられているんですよね?

A:「ほかのふたりのスタッフと協カしてやりました。デザインと同時に、モンスターの攻撃方法なども考えなくてはならなかったので、思った以上に苦労しましたね。なかでも神羅屋敷の地下で登場するヤンは『もっとゾンビっぽくしてくれ』と何度もリティクを出されました。それで凝りまくった結果、あんなに戦闘時間が長くなってしまった、と(笑)。ヤンのほかにも、特定の場所で、しかも低確率でしか登場しないモンスターがいるので、プレイヤーの人たちには、歩きまわって探してほしいですね」

Q: 担当されたお仕事は、まだ他にも?

A:「リミットブレイクの設定もしました。前作の『VI』では、瀕死状態になると必殺技が出るようになっていたんです。でも、その確率が低いためか誰も気づいてくれなかったようなので、あれをもっと活かしてやろうと。召喚魔法があんなに派手になったうえに、主人公もポリゴンなので自由に動かせますから、キャラクターの動きで魅せる技ということを念頭に置いて設定したんです」

Q: キャラクターのデザインだけでも大変なのに、そこまで今回の『VII』に関わっていらっしゃるとは…。

A:「まだ、あります(笑)。召喚魔法のコンテも描きました。タイタンで地面を引きはがすという処理を実現できたことで、ギガフレアで敵を持ち上げるときの効果の表現が可能になったんです」

Q: お気に入りの召喚魔法はどれですか?

A:「むずかしいですね。どれもかなりイケているんで…。強いて挙げるならタイタンとイフリートかな。ナイツオブラウンドもいいですよね。最初から時間が長くなることは予想していたんですが。まあ1分の壁はすでに破ってましたから、もう心ゆくまでやってやろうと(笑)」

Q: エンディングがこれまでの『FF』とは異なり、人によって解釈が変わってくるように思われますか?

A:「それは意識してやりました。人によっては北の大空洞が約束の地だと考えるかもしれませんし、大地に根ざしたすべての場所が約束の地だと言う人もいるかもしれません。ただ個人的には、エンディングで緑が生い茂っている場面や、エアリス—つまり古代種がたくさんのライフストリームを導いているところから、ミッドガルが約束の地なのかなと考えています。シナリオ担当の野島さんがどう言うかはわかりませんけど(笑)」

Q: スタッフ間でも解釈のちがう部分が生まれるというのは、それだけプレイヤーに想像させる楽しみを与えるシナリオということなんでしょうね?

A:「100人以上の意見や思想が惜しげもなく投入されてますからね。今回にかぎらず、『FF』とは元来そういった作りかたをされてきた作品なんです。ひとつだけ言えるのは、これだけのクオリティの作品は、絶対にひとりの力では作り出せない、ということでしょうね」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
59.png

Battle and Materia Team
Kentarō Yasui (Lead Effects Programmer)
Takatsugu Nakazawa (Lead Battle Planner)
Hiroshi Harata (Lead Battle Programmer)
Shintarō Takai (Battle Effects Lead)
Yasushi Matsumura (Lead Battle Planner)

“Please note that there’s more to the game’s weapons than just their attack power.”

Q: One of the game’s highlights this time around is the materia system. Where did the concept for it come from?

A: It was Producer Sakaguchi’s idea. He thought it would be interesting to make what were once [fixed] abilities into items that could be equipped to characters in various combinations. That concept was fleshed out and expanded into the materia system you see now.

Q: You can achieve various effects depending on how you combine materia. Are there any setups you’d recommend?

A: It’s hard to boil down because a lot of it depends on where you are in the game, but Added Effect and Elemental are always handy. We thought it would be neat if you could convert your favorite weapon to something like a “Flame Sword” or a “Lightning Sword.” We also tried to emphasize things other than the weapons’ attack power, such as number of materia slots and rate of materia growth. As a result, I think we were able to create weapons that players still want to use despite their lower attack power, which is something you don’t see in conventional RPGs. And don’t forget that materia can also produce various effects when they’re attached to armor, not just weapons. Even the designers are still discovering new things you can do with materia [laughs], so you may still be able to find combinations nobody knows of yet. It’s the kind of system you can tinker around with and not get bored of, so I’d encourage players to take a break from the story and experiment with it.

Q: Counter is also a fun materia to use.

A: I’m sure a lot of people have already thought of it, but there’s a tactic where you combine Cover and Counter. Not only does it allow you to get extra attacks in, but because you’re absorbing more damage with that character, their limit gauge fills up faster. You can further refine this strategy by equipping Long Range. That way, when your character protects an ally and counterattacks, they take only half as much damage.

Q: Were there any materia that ended up being cut from the game?

A: At one point there was going to be a swimming-based dungeon, and if you didn’t have the Underwater materia equipped, you’d drown and be unable to access it; but the plan was discarded during development. There was also going to be a Hazardous Terrain [lit. Damage Floor] materia [that would prevent damage when equipped], but on such detailed maps [with no tiles], taking damage every step would have felt odd, so it was scrapped.

Q: Why was Golem left out of the summon lineup?

A: Because it was infeasible in terms of planning. In the previous game, Golem would appear whenever the party entered a battle, but this time there wasn’t enough space in the battle scene memory to store it. Also, it wouldn’t have been very interesting to have a summon that attacked only once [per battle], so in the end we decided to have it appear as an enemy monster.

Q: If you were to help make Final Fantasy VIII, what kind of work would you want to do in it?

A: It’s only a vague idea at this point, but it might be interesting to set battles in a field with varying elevation. So, even if they’re facing the same enemy, players would have to adjust their strategy based on where that enemy is positioned, such as a rooftop. Also, although I couldn’t make it happen this time due to processing constraints, I’d definitely like to try rendering battle scenes using dedicated light sources. Finally, there’s memory card functionality—something like catching a monster, turning it into a card, and exchanging it with a friend. Those are just a few of the challenges I’d like to tackle if I get the chance to work on Final Fantasy VIII.

「武器に威力以外の要素がある点に注目してください」

Q: 今回の目玉のひとつであるマテリアのシステムは、どのようなところから考案されたのでしょうか?

A:「プロデューサーの坂口さんのアイデアです。今までの『アビリティ』の部分をアイテムとしてほかの人にくっつけたり、あるいはそれらを組み合わせて使えるようにしたらおもしろいんじゃないか、と。その提案を具体化し、ふくらませたのが、今回のマテリアシステムです」

Q: マテリアはその組み合わせによってさまざまな効果が得られますが、オススメのものはありますか?

A:「ゲームの進行の度合いによって変わってくるので一概には言えませんが、『ついかこうか』や『ぞくせい』がオススメですね。あれは、お気に入りの武器を『ほのお剣』や『いかずち剣』に改造できたらおもしろいな、というところから発案したものなんです。それに加えて、武器に攻撃力以外の要素—マテリア穴の数やマテリアを成長させる速度などをつけることにしました。結果として、これまでのRPGとはちがって、攻撃力は低くても使ってみようという気にさせる武器が作れたのではないかと思っています。もちろん、マテリアは武器だけではなく、防具につけてもいろいろな効果を引き出せるんですが…。作った本人でさえ、こんなこともできるのかと最近になっても新しい発見があるので(笑)、もしかしたら、誰も知らない組み合わせをまだまだ見つけられるかもしれません。とにかく、あきずに遊べるシステムに仕上がったと思いますので、先へ進むことばかり考えずに、いろいろと試してみてほしいですね」

Q: 『カウンター』も気持ちいいですね。

A:「誰もがやるとは思うんですが、『かばう』と『カウンター』を組にする戦法ですね。これのメリットは攻撃回数が増えるだけでなく、自分から進んでダメージを受けるため、リミットゲージをためやすいというところにあります。応用として『えんきょりこうげき』のマテリアをつけてもいいですね。そのキャラクターを後列に下げておけば、受けるダメージを半減させつつ仲間をかばってカウンター攻撃することができますし」

Q: ボツになったマテリアはありますか?

A:「“泳いでいくダンジョン”で『すいちゅうこきゅう』のマテリアをつけていないとおぼれてしまい、中に入れないという企画を考えていましたが、開発途中でなくなってしまいました。ほかにも『ダメージゆか』のマテリアなどがありましたが、あの描きこまれたマップ上で、歩くたびにダメージを受けるというのもヘンですからボツになりました」

Q: ゴーレムが召喚獣からはずされたのは?

A:「企画的に無理があったためです。前作のゴーレムはつねにパーティーが攻撃を受けると登場して、という設定でしたが、今回はそのゴーレムをバトルのメモリーの中に置いておく余裕がなかった。かといって、ただ1回だけ攻撃してくれる召喚獣ではおもしろくないので、敵モンスターとして登場させることにしました」

Q: もしも『FFVIII』を制作することになったら、どのような作品にしたいとお考えですか?

A:「あくまでも現時点でのアイデアなんですけど、高低差のあるフィールドでのバトルというのもおもしろいかもしれません。たとえば、敵が屋根の上にいるとか、同じ敵が出現しても、それぞれの位置によって戦略が変わるとか。それと、今回は処理速度などの関係で実現できませんでしたが、戦闘シーンで光源を使った演出を、ぜひやってみたいですね。あとは、メモリーカードを使った遊び—たとえば、モンスターをつかまえてカードに変えて、友だちと交換するとか。もしも『VII』を作るとしたら、いろいろなことに挑戦したいですね」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
133.png

Battle Team
Masahiro Kataoka (Lead Battle Planner)
Takayoshi Nakazato (Lead Battle Designer)
Akira Fujii (Battle Scenery Lead)
Tatsuya Kando (Lead Animator)
Tomohiro Kayano (Lead Character Modeler)

“We hope you enjoy the modeling and animations to their fullest.”

Q: The battle system has changed quite a bit since the last Final Fantasy game. You must have had a lot on your plate.

A: I felt very anxious at first. Someone high up in the company came to me and said, “This is how the battles are going to be this time” [laughs]. From the very beginning of the project, it was decided that the battles would be in 3D, and I wondered if such a thing were even possible. At that time, there was no other RPG title that was using this development method. But I told myself that if we tried, we would somehow make it happen [laughs].

Q: The in-battle models change depending on which weapons characters have equipped. Did you prepare separate models for every single weapon?

A: It depends on the character. With Red XIII we didn’t bother because his weapons aren’t visible, whereas with Cloud there’s a different model for every weapon. We prepared different models for Tifa’s weapons, too, but because they’re so small, it’s unfortunately hard to tell the difference. If you use her limit break, you may just be able to catch a glimpse of them when it zooms in [laughs].

Q: The camera system is also pretty elaborate, isn’t it?

A: For the Auto camera angle option, we made three different angles for each type of magic. There’s the “recommended” angle, which we put the most effort into, as well as a more whimsical one, plus an angle where we’ve dragged the camera back so that it shows the whole field of view. There isn’t any variation in how normal attacks like striking and slashing are shown, but we were inventive with how we portrayed special attacks for materia. We’ve also come up with ways to focus on enemy attacks in cases where the modeling is impressive or the animation looks cool.

Q: What were some things you struggled with while doing the camera work?

A: There were a lot [laughs]. It would have been nice if the characters and enemies were of a similar size, like in a 2D fighter, but the game contains a rich variety of monsters that range from tiny to enormous. If a runty enemy is too far away, then players won’t be able to tell what it’s doing, whereas a big monster runs the risk of spilling out of frame. Therefore, we had to rig up a system that could accommodate different enemies on a case-by-case basis. Needless to say, it all took a lot of work, so I’d like it if players would set the camera option to Auto and enjoy the modeling and animation to their fullest.

Q: The battle scenes feature a huge variety of backgrounds, don’t they?

A: We tried to avoid recycling backgrounds wherever possible, so you really get the impression we packed in as many as I could. On the field screens we use tens of thousands of polygons to draw beautiful backdrops, but once you enter a battle scene there are far fewer polygons at your disposal, and the textures you can use for the background are limited. We tried our best to bridge this visual gap. In terms of numbers, there are over 80 types of background, and unique scenery has been prepared for even the smallest slivers of the world map. Even after clearing the game once, I doubt you’ll have seen all the different battle backgrounds.

Q: I was surprised by how well the summoning magic blended into the scenery, regardless of the background.

A: We came up with all sorts of approaches in an attempt to make everything fit together, but it was difficult because some of the summons used very particular animation techniques. Depending on the summoning magic, it could be a pretty unforgiving task [laughs]. Speaking of summons, there were times when they proved too large to squeeze into the room [where the battle was taking place]. In the end, we solved this problem by slightly expanding the backgrounds [laughs].

Q: If you were to work on Final Fantasy VIII, what kind of product would you like to make?

A: We’ve been able to see where using polygons works well and where it falls short. Equipped with that knowledge, I’m confident we can put out an even more amazing product than we did this time.

「モデリングやモーションを堪能してほしいですね」

Q: 前作までと戦闘シーンが大幅に変わったので、大変だったんじゃないですか?

A:「最初は不安だらけでした。社内の偉い人から『今回のバトルはこれだ』と言われて(笑)、企画当初から戦闘が3Dだと決定していたんですが、こんなのを本当に作れるんだろうか、と。その時点ではRPGでそういった処理をしていた作品がありませんでしたし…。でも、やれば何とかなってしまうものですね(笑)」

Q: 装備した武器により戦闘時のグラフィックが変化しますが、すべての武器のCGが用意されているのですか?

A:「キャラによりますね。レッドXIIIはせっかく用意しても見えないのでやめましたが、クラウドに関しては武器を変えればグラフィックも変化します。ティファも一応は用意されていますが、武器自体が小さいのでよく見えないのが残念ですね。リミット技を使用するとアップになるので、かろうじて確認はできますが(笑)」

Q: カメラのアングルも凝ってますよね。

A:「『オート』のカメラ視点のために、ひとつの魔法につき3種類ずつアングルを作りました。一番力を入れた『おすすめ』と、やや風変わりなものと、カメラを引き気味にして全体を見せるタイプです。殴る、斬るといった通常の攻撃は見せかたのバリエーションはありませんが、マテリアをつけた特殊攻撃などは、けっこう凝ったことをやっています。モンスターの攻撃も、モデリングがよかったり、モーションがかっこいいものに関しては、よりアップで見せようと工夫をしてあります」

Q: カメラワークで苦労した点は?

A:「たくさんです(笑)。対戦格闘ゲームのように、キャラの大きさがある程度そろっていればいいんですが、このゲームのモンスターは、ちっちゃいヤツから巨大なものまでバラエティに富んでいますよね。小さいヤツは遠すぎると何をやっているのかわからないし、逆に大きなモンスターは画面からはみ出してしまったりするので、臨機応変に設定していかなければならなかったんです。とにかく苦労したので、カメラアングルはぜひ『オート』に設定して、モデリングやモーションを堪能してもらえるとうれしいですね」

Q: 戦闘モードの背景も種類が多いですよね。

A:「なるべくなら使いまわしはしたくなかったので、思いっきりつめこんだ感じですね。フィールドでは何万ポリゴンも使って美しい画面を描いていますが、戦闘に突入したとたんに、背景用に使えるテクスチャーがかぎられ、ポリゴン数も大幅に減るんです。そのときのギャップをできるだけなくそうと、ひたすらがんばりました。数で言うと80数種類あって、移動マップ上ではすごくせまい場所でも、異なった背景が用意されていたりします。一度クリアしたぐらいではすべてのバトル背景を見ることはできないと思いますよ」

Q: 召喚魔法を使ったときに、どの背景であってもうまく融合するのに驚きました。

A:「つじつまの合うようにといろいろ考えながらやっていたんですが、特別な処理をしているところもあるので苦労させられました。召喚魔法によっては、かなりムリヤリな場合もありますし…(笑)。召喚獣といえば、サイズが大きすぎて部屋からはみ出してしまったこともありました。結局、バトルの背景を少し広げてもらって解決したんですけど(笑)」

Q: もしも『FFVIII』を作ることになったら、どのような作品にしたいとお考えですか?

A:「ポリゴンを使ってみて、いいところも悪いところも見えてきましたからね。その経験を活かせれば、今回よりも、さらにすごい作品になることはたしかだと思います」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
183.png

Event Team
Hiroki Chiba (Lead Event Planner)
Kazuhiko Yoshioka (Lead Event Programmer)
Keisuke Matsuhara (Lead Event Planner)
Motomu Toriyama (Lead Event Planner)
Kazushige Nojima (Scenario Writer)
Jun Akiyama (Lead Event Planner)

“All of the characters this time are hiding their true faces.”

Q: Compared to previous games, the plot of Final Fantasy VII feels more internal than external.

A: We thought it would be more interesting to focus on the cast and not just on the world around them. Perhaps that’s what makes the game feel “dark” [laughs].

Q: How did you establish each character’s personality?

A: We were given a general sense of each character by Nomura, who did the character design, and then wrote the events and dialogue accordingly. With Tifa and Aerith, we tried to juxtapose their personalities with their appearances. Tifa might look like the peppy one, but it’s actually Aerith who rallies the party and gets things done.

Q: When Cloud gets separated from the party, it seems like Tifa becomes more and more timid.

A: Tifa’s character becomes quite clingy after that event, and I think that’s actually her true nature coming out. The protagonists this time are all more or less deceiving one another—there’s this feeling that everyone is pretending to be someone they aren’t.

Q: I’d like to ask a few questions about the main scenario. Are the entries in the basement of Shinra Manor supposed to be about Zack and Cloud?

A: That’s right. Zack was able to become a SOLDIER, unlike Cloud, who suffered from motion sickness. Based on Zack’s speech, behavior, and attitude, Cloud formed his own personal image of a SOLDIER.

Q: What’s the connection between Barret and Avalanche?

A: When Barret came to Midgar seeking revenge, he found an Avalanche that was fighting for reasons that aligned with his own. Seeking to imitate them, Barret named his own group Avalanche. However, that’s not to say the original Avalanche ever disappeared. They’re still carrying out minor operations behind the scenes, in places the player never gets to see.

Q: Toward the end of the game, we fight the Turks in Corkscrew Tunnel beneath the Shinra Building. What happened to them after that?

A: Despite the work they do, the Turks haven’t bound themselves body and soul to the goals of Shinra—they’re more shrewd and businesslike than that, and aren’t about to lay down their lives just to thwart Cloud’s group. By now I expect they’ve found other work to do elsewhere. Elena evidently went back to her parents’ house, though I’m not sure where that is [laughs].

Q: You spent a whole year working on Final Fantasy VII. What are your thoughts now that the work has been released to the public?

A: It’s complicated [laughs]. It looks like it’s selling a lot, and the game has even been featured in newspapers and such, yet it still feels like it belongs to this niche realm of hobbyists. I sometimes worry about whether my own values and interests will ever be accepted into the mainstream.

Q: If you were to help develop Final Fantasy VIII, what kind of work would you like to create?

A: This time, we were still sort of lugging around the old NES-era command selection system. I think there are a lot of hardware opportunities that we still have left to explore, such as the analog stick, or maybe NeGcon [motion input] support [laughs]. Going forward, I’d like to pursue even more new paradigms for the Final Fantasy series.

「今回のキャラクターは、みんな”本当の顔”を隠しているんです」

Q: 今回はこれまでのシリーズとちがい、ストーリーが外にではなく内側に向いているように感じるのですが?

A:「世界がどうなったとかいうよりも、登場するキャラクターたちに焦点を当てたほうがおもしろくなるんじゃないかと思いまして…。そのせいで“暗い”のかもしれませんけど(笑)」

Q: キャラクターの性格は、どのように設定されたのですか?

A:「キャラクターデザインをした野村から基本的な設定がまわってきて、それに合わせてシナリオというかセリフを書きました。ティファとエアリスは、見た目とは反対の性格をつけようとしています。絵だけを見るとティファのほうが元気がよさそうですが、実際はエアリスのほうがイケイケというか場を仕切る女性なんですね」

Q: パーティーからクラウドがはずれるころから、ティファがどんどん気弱な感じになっていきますが?

A:「あのイベントをさかいに、ティファはベタベタした性格になるというか…じつは、あれこそが彼女の本性なんじゃないかと思っています。今回の主人公たちは、誰もが多かれ少なかれウソをついている—あるいは自分をどこかでいつわっているような感じに設定してあるんですよ」

Q: シナリオ上で疑問だったことをいくつかうかがいたいのですが、神羅屋敷の地下にある日記に書かれているのは、ザックスとクラウドのことなのでしょうか?

A:「そうですね。ソルジャーになれたザックスの言動や態度をとおして、乗り物酔いというハンディを抱えたクラウドが自分なりのソルジャー像をかたち作っていったわけ

です」

Q: バレットと、アバランチの関係というのは?

A:「バレットが復讐を胸にミッドガルへやってきたとき、そこで目にした当時のアバランチが、彼にとって都合のいい理由を掲げて戦っていたんでしょうね。それをマネて、バレット自身もアバランチを名のるようになるわけです。ただ、元祖アバランチもなくなってしまったわけではなく、今でも細々と、人目につかないようなところで活動はしています。プレイしている人が彼らを見ることはできませんが」

Q: 終盤、神羅ビルの螺旋トンネルでタークスの面々と戦いますが、彼らはその後、どうなったのでしょう?

A:「タークスは、あんな活動をしていますが神羅に身も心も売ったわけではなく、ビジネスとして割り切っている人たちなんです。だから命をかけてまでクラウドたちの邪魔をしようとは考えません。今ごろは、どこかで別の仕事についていると思います。イリーナは実家に帰ったらしいですし。実家の場所は知りませんけど(笑)」

Q: 1年にも及ぶ時間をかけて『FFVII』を制作されたわけですが、その作品が世の中に出ることに対して、どのようなことをお考えになっていますか?

A:「複雑です(笑)。なんだかたくさん売れるみたいだし、新聞とかにも取り上げられたりして。にもかかわらず、ほとんど趣味の世界みたいな作りかたをしていますからね。自分の価値観が、果たして世の中に受け入れられるんだろうか、と不安に思うこともあります」

Q: もしも『FFVIII』を開発することになったら、どのような作品にしたいとお考えですか?

A:「今回は、システム面ではコマンド選択というファミコン時代のものをまだ部分的に引きずっている状態ですから。極端な話、アナログスティックを使うとか、システム的にいろいろな可能性が残されていると思うんですよ。ネジコン対応とか(笑)。さらに新しい『FF』の姿を追求してみたいですね」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
214.png

Minigame Team
Tadamichi Obinata (Snow Game Programmer)
Shin’ichi Tanaka (Submarine Game Programmer)
Ryū Mutо̄ (Condor War Programmer)
Tatsuya Yoshinari (Shooting Coaster and G Bike Programmer)
Keitarо̄ Adachi (Chocobo Racing Programmer)

“We've hidden a number of ‘secrets’ to keep you from getting bored.”

Q: There’s certainly no shortage of minigames this time.

A: After the main scenario was completed, we still wanted there to be more game content for players to occupy themselves with, so we came up with a number of sequences that could be turned into minigames. We determined which of these sounded both feasible and enjoyable, and each staff member was tasked with bringing one or more to life.

Q: I’d like to ask each person on the team to share any anecdotes or difficulties they had while working on the minigames. First up, let’s talk about Snow Game.

A: When you play the game at Icicle Inn, if you pop the balloons one after another, special guide balloons will appear indicating which path to take at each fork in the course. If you choose the right paths and slide down them, you can start closer to the exit when you land in the big snow field on the next screen. So, if you want to make things easier for yourself later on, be sure to pop as many balloons as you can.

Q: The Submarine Game really seems like it’s true to scale.

A: There was a time when I thought about making it a tabletop-style minigame where you seek out the enemy fleet using radar. However, the [playtesters] didn’t seem very intrigued by that idea, so I ended up making it into a sort of flight simulator shooter. The thing is, players will get confused if you suddenly introduce a complex mechanic into an RPG, so I had to keep the difficulty quite low.

Q: Fort Condor lets players enjoy a variety of battles depending on when they stop by.

A: The Condor War minigame features a total of seven different setups. You might think there are only two patterns—the first battle and the final battle—but I’ve prepared extra content for those players who return at odd points throughout the story. The trick is not to attack but to focus on defense.

Q: Shooting Coaster is a minigame that demands good reflexes and memorization.

A: It’s a minigame in the truest sense, with no complex mechanics. Rather than trying to master it, I’d encourage players to sit back and enjoy it without too much thought. Of course, if you can’t remember the order in which the targets appear, you won’t be able to break your record. So, if you want to achieve a high score, you’ll have to put a decent effort in. You can earn points in unexpected places, such as from one of the lights that appear at the end of the ride, so keep an eye out for those.

Q: G Bike feels like a minigame that’s simple yet difficult at the same time.

A: It probably feels that way because I was asked to keep it simple, but at the outset I considered introducing a variety of enemies. It’s more of a scenic minigame that lets you savor the atmosphere. Yet there were still [playtesters] who complained they couldn’t defeat the enemy bikes [laughs]. It’s pretty simple if you remember to ram the red enemies and slash the yellow ones with your sword.

Q: The Chocobo Racing minigame is so packed with features. It really keeps you coming back for more.

A: There are a lot of secrets tucked away [laughs], like strategies for recovering stamina and a trick to zoom in or out on the Chocobos at the betting board (see p. 210). The names are significant, too: you can predict which abilities the [automated] chocobo has inherited from its parents based on the first and second halves of their name. If the father was a stretch runner but the mother lacked stamina, [the offspring] will burn out early and have a hard time winning. Knowing which names correspond to which abilities is key.

「あきさせないための"隠し"は、たくさん入れてありますよ」

Q: 今回はミニゲームが充実していますね。

A:「シナリオが完成してから、プレイヤーがゲームに関わる部分をもっと増やしたいということで、ミニゲームにできそうな部分をいくつもあげたんです。それらが実現可能かどうか、また可能でも楽しめるものになるかどうかを検証し、イケそうだというものを、ここにいるスタッフがそれぞれ作ることになりました」

Q: ミニゲームに関して、それぞれのご担当のかたに裏話や苦労なさった点をうかがっていきたいと思います。まずは『スノーゲーム』についてですが…。

A:「アイシクルロッジでプレイするときは、風船をつぎつぎと割っていくと、コースの途中の分岐点でどちらへ行けばいいのかを、目印の風船が出て教えてくれるようになっているんです。正しいほうを選んですべっていけば、つぎの大雪原でゴールへより近い場所からスタートできます。あとでラクをしたい人は、がんばってたくさんの風船を割るようにしてください」

Q:『潜水艦ゲーム』は本格的という印象が強いですが?

A:「最初は、昔あった、レーダーで敵の艦隊を探すボードゲームタイプのものを作ろうと考えていたんですが、それではあまりプレイヤーが熱中してくれそうにないので、現在のフライトシミュレータのようなシューティングになりました。ただ、RPGの中に複雑な操作のものが突然登場するとプレイヤーもとまどうでしょうから、難易度はかなり下げてますけどね」

Q:『コンドルフォート』は立ち寄るタイミングによって、何回も戦闘が楽しめるようになっていますね。

A:「このシミュレーションバトルは、合計7回ぶんのデータを用意しています。最初とラストバトルの2回だけしかパターンがないように思われがちですが、ここへもどってくるのが大変なときに訪れてくれた人のために、余分なデータも作りました。コツとしては攻めるのではなく、守りに重点を置くことでしょうか」

Q:『シューティングコースター』は、反射神経と記憶力が問われるゲームですよね。

A:「複雑な要素のない、本当の意味でのミニゲームですね。それ自体を攻略してやろうというよりも、何も考えずに息抜きのつもりで楽しんでもらえればいいと思います。もちろん、ターゲットの出現する順番を覚えなければ高得点は出ませんから、ハイスコアを狙いたい人はそれなりにがんばってもらう必要はありますけど。最後に登場するライトのひとつが撃てるなど、意外なもので点数をかせげたりするので、ぜひ探してみてください」

Q:『Gバイク』は、簡単なようでむずかしいミニゲームという印象があるのですが?

A:「とにかく単純にしてほしいという依頼があったのであんな感じになりましたが、最初はいろいろな種類の敵を登場させることも考えていました。どちらかというと、雰囲気を味わってもらう“魅せる”タイプのミニゲームですね。でもプレイした人は、なかなか敵のバイクを倒せないって文句を言うんです(笑)。赤い敵は体当たりで、黄色い敵は剣でやっつける、ということを意識していれば、わりと簡単なんですけどね」

Q:『チョコボレース』は、とにかくいろいろな要素が入っており、あきさせない作品になっています。

A:「隠しは結構入ってますよ(笑)。HPを回復させる方法やオッズボードのチョコボを拡大縮小させる裏技とか(→P.210)。名前にも意味があって、前半と後半から両親の能力を予想することができるようになっています。お父さんが追いこみ馬でお母さんがスタミナが少ないようだと勝てるはずもなく自滅するとか。どの名前がどういう能力を持っているのかを知ることがカギになりますね」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
215.png

Cutscene Team
Yūko Akiyama (Lead for Bike Escape Scene and Others)
Hiroyuki Honda (Lead for Junon Scene and Others)
Yoshinori Moriizumi (Jumping onto Train Scene and Others)
Shun Moriya (Lead Cutscene Programmer)

“The ending cutscene took a lot of work, so we hope you’ll take the time to watch it.”

Q: One of the most impressive things about Final Fantasy VII is the smooth integration of in-engine scenes and pre-rendered movies.

A: The very first thing we worked on was the scene where Cloud and the others disembark at the train station and head off to bomb Mako Reactor 1. I knew that if we couldn’t successfully merge cutscene and gameplay in that scene, then it wasn’t going to work anywhere. But we were somehow able to make it happen, and decided to stick with that approach going forward. The amount of data these cutscenes require is exorbitant, though, and a movie that’s only 10 seconds long can equate to thousands of files. It wasn’t uncommon for those files to get submitted several times, and we occasionally lost track of which ones went with which [laughs].

Q: I was surprised to find I could move the character while on the Junon elevator despite being in the middle of a cutscene.

A: As mentioned earlier, it’s the result of a process that merges in-engine gameplay and pre-rendered movies. It isn’t too complicated in principle, as the camera is positioned exactly the same when rendering both the CG background and the cutscene. All you have to do is shrink or expand the character’s polygons as the elevator moves down or up. Of course, it wasn’t easy to sync up the character with the movie, and we spent a lot of time making adjustments.

Q: Were the character models that show up in the [fully CG] movies created from scratch for that particular purpose?

A: No. Basically, the method was to take a character model, such as the one that appears during battle, and add movement to it. The more realistic-looking characters you see in the cutscenes are enhanced versions of those models.

Q: Characters’ demeanors and general atmosphere seem to vary depending on the cutscene. Is that a reflection of the various individuals in charge of them?

A: Those alterations weren’t deliberate but rather something we were forced to do because the battle models the cutscenes used kept changing day by day [laughs]. I guess there are quite a few leftovers from that process still in the game. They may be subtle, but if you pay close attention you can get a sense of the difficulties we encountered making these movies [laughs].

Q: Why don’t Yuffie or Vincent appear in the ending cutscene?

A: At first we were leaning toward including them, and we even started on the first part of the movie that Yuffie and the others would appear in. However, because those two characters may or may not be in your party, we would have had to prepare a different movie for each scenario. That would have meant an increased number of disc loads, and the movie we worked so hard on would have been a choppy mess—so in the end we had to let it go.

Q: What’s the approximate runtime of all the cutscenes in this game?

A: It’s about 40 minutes, I think. But even a 10-second-long movie takes about two weeks to create, regardless of how expertly you do it. The real question is how many hours total we spent making them. With a process that time-consuming, it’s a nasty surprise whenever something you made gets cut [laughs].

Q: Which scenes would you most encourage people to watch?

A: First is the scene where Sephiroth disappears into the flames. Those flames aren’t live-action captures but painstakingly rendered CG. Then there’s that intense scene with Sapphire Weapon where it looks like it’s about to go on a rampage and destroy everything [laughs]. Finally, there’s the scene at the end with all the twisters [around Midgar]. That sequence was also very demanding.

「エンディングのムービーは苦労したので、ぜひ見てほしいですね」

Q:『VII』の見どころのひとつとしてゲーム画面とムービーのスムーズなリンクがあげられますが?

A:「一番はじめに手がけたのは、列車に乗ったクラウドたちが駅に降りて壱番魔晄炉の爆破へ向かうシーンで、あの部分が表現できなければゲーム画面とムービーのリンクは不可能だと考えていたんです。でも何とか実現できたので、それ以降もこの路線でいくことになりました。ただ、ムービーのデータは非常に膨大で、たった10秒のものでも何千というファイルになったりするわけです。それらを何度かにわけて渡されることも少なくなかったので、どのファイルとどのファイルがつながっているのか、わからなくなったこともありましたね(笑)」

Q: ジュノンのエレベーターで、ムービー画面なのにキャラクターを操作できるのには驚きました。

A:「先ほど言った、ゲーム画面とムービーのリンクの延長線上にある処理ですね。原理的には背景のCGとムービーをそれぞれレンダリング(画像生成)するとき、カメラの位置をまったく同じにするだけですから、それほど複雑なことではありません。あとはエレベーターの動きに合わせて、キャラクターのポリゴンを拡大縮小をさせればいいわけです。もちろん、キャラクターとムービーの同期をとるのが大変で、調整には時間がかかりましたが」

Q: ムービー中で活躍するキャラクターたちは、そのために描き起こされたものなのでしょうか?

「いえ、基本的にはバトルなどで使われているキャラクターのポリゴンモデルをもらってきて、それに動きをつけていくというのが今回の手法でした。ムービー中に登場するややリアルな感じのキャラクターは、もらってきたモデルにこちらで手を加えたものです」

Q: ムービーによっては、同じキャラクターでもどこか雰囲気がちがっていることもありますが、それは担当者の個性が出ているのでしょうか?

A:「わざと変えようと思ったのではなく、変わらざるを得なかったというのが本当のところなんです。というのも、もととなったバトル用のモデル自体が、日に日に変わっていったんで(笑)。その名残のようなものが、少なからずあるんでしょうね。微妙なちがいかもしれませんが、よく見るとムービーの向こうに僕らの苦労が垣間見える、と(笑)」

Q: エンディングのムービーにヴィンセントやユフィが登場しないのは?

A:「はじめは入れる方向で動いていて、ユフィたちの出ているムービーの最初の部分を作りはじめていたんです。でも、あのふたりはパーティーにいる場合といない場合があるんで、カットごとにそれぞれのムービーを用意しなければならないですよね。そうなると、CDをアクセスする回数が増えて、せっかくのムービーがぶつぶつ切れてしまうことになるんで、最終的にはあきらめました」

Q: 今回の作品には、どれくらいの時間のムービーが収録されているのでしょうか?

A:「おおよそ40分というところでしょうか。ただ、ムービーは10秒作るのに、どんなにうまくいっても2週間前後はかかるので、トータルでどれだけの時間を費やしたことか。そのぶん、自分の作ったものがボツになったりすると、すごいショックですよ(笑)」

Q:『ここを見てほしい!』という、ムービースタッフのオススメのシーンを教えてください。

A:「まずセフィロスが炎の中に消えていくシーンですね。あの炎は実写ではなく、苦労して作ったCGなので。それからサファイアウェポンの『壊してやるぞーっ!』という迫力(笑)。あとは、エンディングで登場する竜巻かな。あの部分も非常に苦労しましたから」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
330.png

Yūsuke Naora (Art Director)

Profile:
Joined Square on June 1, 1993. Noteworthy works include Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. Took charge of CG maps during the development of Final Fantasy VII.

“We were determined not to fail because the cutscene team was working so hard.”

Q: Why did you choose to implement CG maps with perspective rather than the flat maps you used in the past?

A: That proposal came from the person in charge of planning the maps. We all considered the idea together and decided to implement it because it sounded interesting. But it took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to use CG maps effectively.

Q: So, you had to approach this game differently from the rest of the series. Was that disorienting?

A: Honestly, we didn’t have time to feel disoriented. We were set to advertise in February of [1996] that the PlayStation would be the platform for the new game, so we knew if we didn’t have something convincing by then, we wouldn’t be able to capture players’ interest. Up to that point, our in-house team consisted only of artists who placed 2D pixels, and there was this sense that we were all embarking on something new together. Of course, people with 3D modeling experience were also brought on, but we couldn’t rely solely on them, so we put our best foot forward and set about creating Midgar. In retrospect, it was probably a blessing that we never had time to worry too much.

Q: You mentioned working in 2D. Were there any useful techniques that carried over to 3D?

A: If you try using CG to faithfully depict a natural object, such as a tree, it ends up taking a ton of time. What’s more, there was an incredible number of things we had to draw this time. Therefore, we touched up renders by placing pixels over the surface and used hand-drawn textures except in places we decided to use photographs. In applying these sorts of workarounds, we were able to put our previous experience to use. Pixel techniques are also very useful for depicting rising smoke. However, you have to be careful with how you blend 2D and 3D in those cases. If you don’t do it right, the image will end up looking oddly contrived.

Q: How did you decide on the composition of each CG map?

A: If I already knew what everything was going to look like in my head, then we’d go ahead and make it accordingly. However, once we’d assembled a 3D scene, I was often surprised by how realistic it looked, and it wasn’t uncommon for me to get carried away thinking, “Maybe it will look cooler if we do this,” or, “Players will understand it better if we do this.” When that happened, we would render the image over and over again, trying to pick out which version looked best. We saw what a good job the cutscene staff were doing, and we didn’t want the CG maps to look shabby by comparison.

Q: It’s helpful how that finger-shaped cursor appears over the character’s head when you press the select button.

A: We were worried players would get stressed out by how elaborate the maps were, so we decided to add that feature in. It was an idea we’d been sitting on since Final Fantasy VI. I have some bitter memories from past Final Fantasy games where I lost track of the character due to backgrounds that I myself drew [laughs].

Q: Is there a reason you drew in so many details, to the extent of showing toilets?

A: From the beginning, we were intent on conveying a sense of daily life. Unlike in previous games, this time the challenge was to put together a convincing environment in one large picture, and details [like the toilet] were essential to that endeavor.

Q: Which is your favorite CG part?

A: It’s got to be Midgar. But it’s more like fondness than favoritism. Midgar was the location that involved the most staff. People would get together and say, “We should do this here,” or, “I’ll leave this part to you.” I really enjoyed those sorts of trust-building exchanges.

'93年6月1日、スクウェアに入社。代表作は『FFVI』『クロノ・トリガー』。『FFVII』では、マップ・グラフィックのディレクションを担当。

「ムービーががんばっているので負けられないと思いました」

Q: これまでのように平面ではなく、パースのついたCGマップを採用することになったのはなぜでしょう?

A:「マップのアイデアを担当している企画の人間から出てきた意見です。それをみんなで検討し、おもしろくなりそうだということで採用しました。ただし、どうやれば効果的に使えるかというのは、かなり試行錯誤しましたけどね」

Q: 過去の『FF』シリーズとは異なる作業をすることになったわけですが、とまどいはありませんでしたか?

A:「とまどっているヒマはなかった、というのが正直なところですね。ハードがプレイステーションに変わるということで、昨年2月に広告を打ちましたが、その時点で説得力のあるものを作っておかなければユーザーのかたにアピールなどできませんからね。それまで、うちのスタッフは2Dのドットを打ってきた人間ばかりだったので、みんなで一緒にスタートした感じでした。もちろん3Dのモデリングの経験者も加入しましたが、彼らにばかり頼ってもいられなかったので、ひたすらがんばってミッドガルを作っていきました。今にして思えば、考えている時間がないというのが、結果として良かったのかもしれません」

Q: 2Dのお話が出ましたが、3Dになってもこれまでの技術が役立った部分はありましたか?

A:「木などの自然物を真剣にCGで描こうとすると、すごく時間がかかってしまうんです。しかも今回は、描かなければならない枚数が非常に多い。そこで、レンダリングした上からドットを打って修正を加えたり、テクスチャーも写真を使おうと決めていたところ以外は手描きのものを使用したりしています。そのあたりの作業をするにあたって、これまでのノウハウは活かされましたね。煙が立ちのぼる処理などでも、やはりドットでの技術が役立っていますし。ただ、そうしたやりかたの場合、3Dと2Dの融合には気を使いました。失敗すると、ウソっぽい絵になってしまいますから」

Q: CGマップの構図は、どのように決めたのですか?

A:「最初からすべてが頭の中にある場合はそのまま作っていきますが、実際に立体を組んだとき、そこに生じる説得力に驚かされることもしばしばで、こうやったほうがかっこよくなりそうだとか、こうしたほうがわかりやすくなるだろうなどのアイデアがつぎつぎとわいてくることも少なくないんです。そのたびに何度もレンダリングし直して、いいものを採用するようにしました。ムービーのスタッフがとてもがんばっているのがわかっていたので、ムービーが流れたあとに見おとりするようなものにはしたくなかったんです」

Q: セレクト・ボタンを押すと、主人公の頭の上に指の形をしたカーソルが現われるのは便利ですよね。

A:「マップの構図が凝っているためにプレイヤーにストレスを感じさせてはいけないと思い、入れることにしました。じつは、これは『VI』のころからあたためていたアイデアなんです。僕自身、過去の『FF』で、自分が描いた背景のせいでキャラクターを見失ってしまった苦い思い出があったので(笑)」

Q: トイレまであんなに描きこんでいるのには、何か理由があるのでしょうか?

A:「生活感を出そうという話が最初にあったんです。これまでとちがい、今回は1枚の大きな絵の中でどれだけ説得力のある表現をできるかが勝負でしたから、そのときに欠かせないパーツだったんですね」

Q: もっとも気に入っているCGはどの部分ですか?

A:「やっぱりミッドガルかなあ。好きというよりは、思い入れとかに近いんですけど。あの場所は一番多くの人間が関わっているし、あそこはこうしようとみんなで相談し合ったり、ここはまかせたとか、そういったやりとりや信頼関係がすごく楽しかったんです」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
331.png

Nobuo Uematsu (Music Composer)

Profile:
Joined Square on April 1, 1986. Has headed the soundtracks for many hit games, including the Final Fantasy series.

“I think the measure of a game’s music lies in whether it fits the scene.”

Q: With the change from cartridge to disc, Final Fantasy has become much more cinematic. But how about in terms of music?

A: This time, the hardware had a built-in sound source [with synthesizer functions], so the variety of sounds I could produce was larger. Aside from that, there wasn’t much of a difference from the SNES. The graphics are more realistic than the previous 2D ones, though. I thought it would be intrusive if I went with cloying, straightforward melodies, so I gave the visuals room to breathe and tried to come up with tracks using only rhythms and accompaniments.

Q: It would seem the evolution in graphics has also had an impact on the music.

A: With the chibi characters we had up till now, there was no visual way to convey their emotions or the drama leading up to them. The music had to pick up the slack and provide emotional context. But now, with the graphics taking center stage, I could pick things out and draw attention to them through the music. Though there were still parts where the music had to take the lead.

Q: The battle music doesn’t have that classic [alert noise] intro anymore.

A: Actually, for a long time I’d been thinking to myself, “Let’s not do this anymore—let’s stop doing [the alert intro]” [laughs]. There’s not a whole lot of places you can go with that intro, but I never had the opportunity to break away from it. Then the hardware changed and I thought, “It’s now or never. If I don’t change it this time, it’ll keep lingering on, even into Final Fantasy VIII.”

Q: The intro for the battle music lasts a long time. Is that to account for the disc load time?

A: No, that was just a happy coincidence. Although I should have said it was calculated [laughs]. But I actually did take that into account with Final Fantasy I. I made it so the intro would end roughly when the [first round of] commands were input.

Q: The final battle music also uses the on-board synthesizer, but I was surprised to hear it make use of a choir.

A: I’d always wanted to use a choir. I thought, “Wouldn’t it be lovely to hear actual singing voices playing from the console?” When I proposed using a choir to the programmers, they told me that although the [memory] constraints were very tight, it should be possible if I kept it under 15 seconds. But, as you know, that final battle track is about six minutes long [laughs]. The only way to keep it under 15 seconds was by recording the voices two measures at a time and treating them as simple tones [as opposed to high-fidelity vocals]. At the end, I did my best to patch together all those tones to form one long recording. It worked out better than I expected.

Q: Changing the subject, what kind of instruments do you tend to use when composing?

A: A guitar or a keyboard, and also a flute. A recorder, to be exact. And then I’ll also use something like a mandolin. Plus lots of other stuff, too [laughs]. I try to use whatever instruments I have on hand, regardless of what they are. If you only use a keyboard, you tend to fall into habits of using your hands, and play whatever your fingers remember. Also, it’s not uncommon that a track’s true essence will rise to the surface when I play it with a mandolin or a violin.

Q: If and when Final Fantasy VIII happens, do you have any ideas ready for making its music?

A: Although I experimented by using a choir this time, I don’t consider Final Fantasy to be a game where music should be pushed to the fore. I’m not trying to sound cool by saying this, but in the end I’m just one member of the larger Final Fantasy team, and I don’t have any ambitions to make the music stand above the rest. Rather than just make good music, I want to help the rest of the staff make a good game. I believe the music’s primary purpose is to set the scene for the game.

'86年4月1日、スクウェアに入社。『FF』シリーズをはじめとする、多数のヒットゲームのサウンドを担当。

「その場面に合っているかどうかでゲーム音楽の価値は決まると思います」

Q: メディアがCDに変わったことで『FF』もより映画的になりつつありますが、音楽のほうはいかがですか?

A:「今回は内蔵音源なので音数は増えていますが、そういったこと以外ではあまりスーパーファミコンから変化がないと思います。ただ、グラフィックがこれまでの2Dとはちがって説得力がありますよね。そこにベタベタのわかりやすいメロディがつくと、うるさい感じがすると思いまして、絵が語っているところは一歩引いてメロディをつけずにリズムだけ、伴奏だけにするなどの工夫はしてくみました」

Q: グラフィックの進化が音楽のほうにも影響を与えているということですね。

A:「これまでの2頭身キャラクターでは、そのときの心情やそこに至るまでのドラマをどうしても語りきれなかった。だから音で盛り上げる必要がありましたが、今回はグラフィックが前面に出てきたんで、それじゃあこちらが引きましょうか、と。その代わり、ここはこっちが出させてね、という部分もありましたけど」

Q: 今回、バトルの音楽から、おなじみのイントロが消えてしまいましたが?

A:「じつは前から『もうやめよう、もうやめよう』と思っていたんですよ(笑)。あのイントロからの展開って、結構かぎられてしまうんですよね。でも、なかなか機会に恵まれなくて。で、ハードも変わったので、やるなら今だと思って。今回変えなかったら、もし『VIII』があっても、またそれを引きずることになってしまうでしょうから」

Q: 今回のバトルの曲はイントロが長くなっていますが、それはCDのアクセス時間に合わせてのものですか?

A:「いえ、まったくの偶然です。でも、計算どおりです、って答えたほうがいいですかね(笑)。じつは『I』のときには意識していたんです。コマンド入力が終わるようなタイミングでイントロも終わるようにと」

Q: ラストバトルの曲も内蔵音源ですが、そこにコーラスが使われていることに驚きました。

A:「コーラスは、やってみたかったんですよ。ゲーム機から人の歌声が流れてくると素敵じゃないですか。今回プログラマーにコーラスのことを提案したら、非常に制限はきついけれど、全部合わせて15秒なら可能だとの答えが返ってきたんです。でも、ラストバトルの曲は6分ぐらいの長さがあるんですよね(笑)。それを15秒に抑えるには、2小節ずつ声を録って音色として持つしかなかった。結局、その音色をつぎはぎして長く聞こえるように工夫したんですが、予想以上にうまくいきましたね」

Q: 話は変わりますが、植松さんは作曲なさるときにどのしような楽器を使われるのでしょう?

A:「ギターかキーボードか、あとは笛かな。笛…リコーダーですね。それからマンドリンとかも使うし。ほかにもいろいろ(笑)。手元にある楽器は何でも使ってみることにしています。たとえばキーボードだけだと手クセというか、自分の指が覚えていたり、弾き慣れている進行になってしまいがちですから。マンドリンとかバイオリンを弾いているうちに、曲のイメージがわくことも少なくありませんね」

Q: もしも『FFVIII』があるとしたら、音楽を作るうえでのアイデアなどは、すでに考えられていますか?

A:「今回はコーラスを使ってみたりはしましたが、ぼく個人としては音楽を前面に押し出して、『FF』をこうしてやろう、なんて考えてはいないんですよ。ちょっとカッコいい言いかたになってしまいますが、ぼくは『FF』のスタッフのひとりでしかなく、音楽だけを立たせようとか、そういった野心のようなものは、まったく持っていません。ですから、いい音楽を作ろうというよりも、まずは、いいゲームをほかのスタッフと作り上げていきたい。あくまでもゲームを演出するための音楽ということを意識していますから」

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
332.png333.png

Yoshinori Kitase (Director)

Profile:
Joined Square on April 1, 1990. Oversaw all aspects of Final Fantasy VII as director. Noteworthy works include Final Fantasy V and onward, as well as the Game Boy version of Seiken Densetsu [Final Fantasy Adventure].

“My goal is to create a product that combines the interesting aspects of both games and movies.”
“Final Fantasy VIII should be a work that moves players even more, further exploring the story and system and strengthening character performances.”

Q: It’s been said that when a Final Fantasy game’s number is odd, the system is emphasized, and when it’s even, the story is emphasized.

A: The people who work on the series are aware of that saying, but we don’t personally pay it much heed. However, because this was the first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation, instead of focusing on one or the other, I communicated with the rest of the staff that we should focus on both the story and the system.

Q: So, the characters are made from polygons this time.

A: It was the natural next step. Before now, characters used to act and gesture with pixels, but that involves a huge amount of data. We wanted to emphasize characters’ performances this time, too, and we wondered if there were some easier way to accomplish that. With polygons, you can create just one character model and then animate it later. It used to be that you could only make characters move or gesture if you were skilled enough to draw them with pixels, but now with polygon animations, other staff, such as directors and planners, could take charge of that process. This turned out to be a huge advantage.

Q: Is it because of these polygon characters that the maps are now CG with a variety of camera angles?

A: Yes. Because it was no longer necessary to have that top–down perspective, we were able to create more immersive environments. However, we had a lot of difficulties with the map creation process. As you can see by comparing the development screenshots (see right-hand page) with the finished product, the project underwent many dramatic changes.

Q: I was surprised by the quality and quantity of cutscenes. Was this also something you took into account when transitioning to the PlayStation?

A: The cutscenes were certainly of interest to us, but we wanted to avoid making just the opening, the ending, and a few story highlights into movies, as that would be no different from what we did in the past. The Final Fantasy series has often been described as cinematic, but games and movies are naturally different entities. I don’t think you can excite players just by scattering cinematic cutscenes throughout the story. However, movies offer unique advantages that cannot be ignored. If you can link gameplay and cinematics to such an extent that players don’t know when input ends and when the movie begins, then you can combine the interesting aspects of both and create an unprecedented entertainment experience.

Q: It’s now at the point where people are producing fully CG movies. In light of that, do you think future Final Fantasy games will continue to place more emphasis on cinematics?

A: I don’t think the approach will change much. Rather than that, I’d prefer that we focus our energies on further combining the gameplay and cinematic components. I want to continue exploring the sorts of things we did in this game, such as being able to move the character around while a cutscene is taking place.

Q: The rich variety of minigames is a defining feature of Final Fantasy VII, but it seems like they were built for more than idle amusement. Why is that?

A: I think it has to do with the new PlayStation hardware, which increased the breadth of experiences we could present to players in Final Fantasy VII. We decided on the format for stuff like the battle system and field maps, but there were still so many other things the console was capable of. Naturally, as creative people, we wanted to try all sorts of different things. We thought about how we could present the world of Final Fantasy VII from a variety of different angles, making full use of the many expressive tools at our disposal. Minigames ended up being a good way of doing that.

Q: How do you expect the Final Fantasy series will progress from here now that it’s moved to the new PlayStation platform?

A: I think there are two directions we could take. One would be to focus on the finished product: “Introducing new concepts is all well and good, but let’s aim for an impeccable work where every aspect is perfectly polished, even if that means keeping innovations to a minimum.” The other direction would be to prioritize the legacy of Final Fantasy, passing it down from one game to the next. The latter is my preferred approach: “Let’s create a work that inherits the spirit of Final Fantasy, even if the story and characters have nothing in common with the previous entries, and eagerly experiment with new concepts.” Maybe next time we’ll turn all the new stuff on its head—the polygon maps and combat, the meticulously drawn towns and villages. Wouldn’t that be interesting?

Q: Is there any possibility the series could return to 2D?

A: I suppose there’s a remote chance that could happen. Up till now, we didn’t really have a choice in terms of game design because of the limitations of the hardware. But in moving to the PlayStation, Final Fantasy was able to overcome that obstacle—and we still have yet to push the hardware to its limits. In other words, there are still more techniques for presenting the series than the ones we used with Final Fantasy VII. For example, our starting point this time was the image of Midgar and the suffering people living in the shadow of that city. That sort of overarching theme forms the basis for what the Final Fantasy game will be, so if we determined that an art style with 2D pixel characters could better represent it, then it’s possible we might choose to make it like we made Final Fantasy I through VI.

Q: I see. So, what kind of game do you think Final Fantasy VIII will be?

A: We only just got finished with Final Fantasy VII, so nothing’s been decided yet [laughs]. However, we experimented with a lot of new ideas this time, and I’d like to be deliberate about which ones carry over. What worked and what didn’t? I want to get a good grasp of that and properly reprise them in the next work. Sorry if that answer was a little vague [laughs].

Q: It wouldn’t hurt to elaborate a little more [laughs].

A: Well, we somehow managed to achieve our goal of both writing a compelling story and integrating new mechanics and technical concepts into the game. I’d like to pursue that even more with Final Fantasy VIII. I’d also like to strengthen the game in terms of character performances, using cutscenes to greater effect. I want to make Final Fantasy VIII an even more emotional experience than Final Fantasy VII was.

[Image Caption:] The image above shows Nibelheim in the early stages of development. The image at left shows a “Grapple” command that didn’t make it into the final game. Kitase claims that in order to achieve a better work, you sometimes have to tear down what you’ve built up.

[See next post for Japanese.]

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
'90年4月1日、スクウェアに入社。『FFVII』のすべてを統括するディレクター。代表作は、『FFV』以降とゲームボーイ版『聖剣伝説』。

「ゲームと映画のそれぞれのおもしろさを融合させた作品を作ることが目標なんです」
「ストーリーとシステムの追求、演出面の強化—『FFVIII』はさらにプレイヤーの感情を揺さぶる作品になるでしょう」

Q: これまでの『FF』は、作品ナンバーが奇数のときはシステム、偶数のときはストーリーをそれぞれ重視していると言われていますが?

A:「作っている人間はそう言われているのを知っていますが、特別に意識しているわけではありません。ただ、プレイステーション(以下PS)での最初の『FF』ということもあって、どちらかに重点を置くのではなく、システム、ストーリーの両方を突きつめてみようという話はスタッフのみんなとしました」

Q: 今回はキャラクターがポリゴンになりましたが?

A:「自然な成り行きですね。今まではドット絵のキャラクターに演技をさせていましたが、このデータがじつに膨大な量なんです。今回も、演技に重点を置くことを考えていましたので、それを何とかできないかと。その点、ポリゴンならそのキャラクターを1体制作しておけば、あとで必要なモーションを作るだけですむわけです。これまでは、キャラクターをドットで描ける、特別な技術の持ち主でないと演技をつける作業はできませんでしたが、ポリゴンのモーションならばそれ以外の人間—演出家やプランナーが担当することが可能になるというのも大きなメリットでしたね」

Q: マップが多彩なアングルのCGになったのも、ポリゴンのキャラクターと関係しているのですか?

A:「ええ。従来のように上から見下ろす視点にこだわる必要はなくなりましたから、臨場感あふれる演出も可能になったわけです。ただし、それだけにマップの作成には苦労しました。開発中の画面(右ページ参照)と、完成版の画面を見くらべるとわかるように、大きく変わっているところも少なくないんです」

Q: 予想以上のムービー(ゲームの中でコマンド操作を必要としない動画部分)の質と量に驚かされましたが、PSへ移行したのは、こうした点にも力を入れることを考慮してなのでしょうか?

A:「たしかにムービーには興味はありました。でも、単にオープニングやエンディング、あるいはイベントシーンといった見せ場をムービーにして、それ以外は従来と変わらない、というのは避けたかったんです。よく『FF』は映画的、といった形容のされかたをしてきましたが、ゲームと映画は当然別のものですし、ストーリーの合間に映画的なムービーをたれ流ししても、より大きな感動をユーザーに与えられるとは思いません。それでもムービーを無視できないのは、映画には映画にしかない良さというのがあるからです。いつムービーがはじまったのかわからないほど、プレイヤーが操作できる部分—いわゆるゲーム部分とムービー部分に密接な関係を持たせることができれば、ゲームと映画の双方がそれぞれ持っているおもしろさを融合した、これまでにないエンターテインメントを創造することができるでしょうね」

Q: 現在、オールCGの映画を制作しているそうですが、それにともなって、これからの『FF』もムービー部分の比重が大きくなっていくのでしょうか?

A:「あまり変わらないと思います。それよりも、さらに高度にゲーム部分とムービー部分を融合させることに力を注ぎたいですね。今回もあった、ムービー画面でキャラクターを操作できるシーンのようなものを、もっと追求していけたらと思っています」

Q: ミニゲームが非常に充実しているのも『VII』の特徴ですが、単に息抜きするためのものとは思えないほど作りこまれているのは、なぜでしょう?

A:「ハードがPSになって、表現できることが広がってきたというのが理由でしょうね。戦闘はこういうシステムだとか、フィールドはこう表現しようとか、『VII』のフォーマットは決まっていたわけですけど、PSはそれ以外にもさまざまなことのできるハードだったわけです。あれもやりたい、これもやりたいというクリエイターの欲求を満たす意味も含まれますが、数々の表現方法を駆使して、なんとか『VII』の世界を多角的に提示できないかといろいろと考えまして。それがミニゲームという形になったんでしょうね」

Q: PSという新しいプラットホームへ移ったことで、『FF』は今後どのような進化をとげていくのでしょう?

A:「ふたとおり考えられると思います。ひとつは、完成型を作る方向。新しいことをどんどん取り入れるのもいいですが、次回作はそれを抑えてでも非の打ちどころのない、すべてが究極と言えるような作品を目指そうという考えかたですね。もうひとつは『FF』の持っているスピリットを、これまでのように継承していく方向性。僕の好みはこちらの考えかたなんですが、話の内容やキャラクターに共通点がなくても、新しいことを貪欲にやっていこうとする、『FF』シリーズのスピリットを受け継いだ作品を作るということですね。今回採用した、ポリゴンを使ったフィールドや戦闘、細かく描きこまれた町や村といった要素をすべてひっくり返すのもおもしろいかもしれません」

Q: 以前のような2Dにもどる可能性もあるというわけですか?

A:「極端なことを言えば、そういう場合だって、あるんじゃないかと。これまではハードの性能の限界から、ゲームのスタイルとしての幅というか選択肢がほかになかったというのが現実でした。ところがプラットホームをPSに移したことで、『FF』はこんなにも進化することができた。ただ、それでもPSというハードを限界まで使いこなしたわけではありません。つまり、『VII』とは異なる手法で『FF』を表現することも、まだまだできるということです。たとえば…今回は、ミッドガルという街があり、そこの地下のスラムで人々が苦しんで生活している、といったイメージがとっかかりでした。そうした描きたいテーマが最初にあって作られるのが『FF』なので、それを表現するのに2Dのドット絵のキャラクターのほうが向いていると判断されれば、『VI』までのスタイルで作ることになる可能性もあるわけです」

Q: なるほど。では、北瀬さんは、『FFVIII』はどのような作品になるとお考えですか?

A:「ようやく『VII』が終わったばかりですからね、まだ何も決まってませんよ(笑)。ただ今回は実験的な部分が多かったので、それが受け入れられるかどうかに注目してみたい。何が良くて、何が良くなかったのか。そこをきちんと把握したうえで、つぎの作品に活かしていきたいと思っています。ちょっと抽象的すぎますか(笑)」

Q: もう少し具体的だとうれしいんですが(笑)。

A:「そうですね、ストーリーを最後まで納得できるようにまとめ、なおかつシステム面でも新しいことを入れるという今回の目標は何とか達成できたので、『VIII』は、それをもっと突きつめていきたいですね。あとはムービーをさらにうまく使うこと、それから演出面の強化といったところですか。『VIII』は『VII』以上に、プレイする人の感情を揺さぶる作品に仕上げたいと思っています」

写真のキャプション:上の写真は開発初期段階のニブルヘイム。左の写真には実際には採用されなかった「かくとう」のコマンドが。より良い作品を完成させるには、せっかく作り上げてきたものを壊さなくてはならないこともあると北瀬氏は語る。

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Q: What’s the connection between Barret and AVALANCHE?

A: When Barret came to Midgar seeking revenge, he found an AVALANCHE that was fighting for reasons that aligned with his own. Seeking to imitate them, Barret named his own group AVALANCHE. But that’s not to say the original AVALANCHE ever disappeared. They’re still carrying out minor operations behind the scenes, in places the player never gets to see.

AHAHAHA!

Oh that's interesting. So they were thinking like that all the way back in 1997. Interesting. Very interesting. So this AVALANCHE HQ ain't so new after all.

This is what I love about overcoming the language barrier. Things that may seem so revelatory are sometimes things that have just been known overseas.

Thanks so much for sharing this @Ultimasamune

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This is one of the best things to come to TLS in a long time, thank you so much!

It's so quaint to see them struggle with the PS1 and treat it like cutting edge tech, considering how far we've come since then. All the different anecdotes really go to show that FF7's success and longevity was the result of everyone who worked on it trying their best with new technology and the freedom it brought them to be creative and unleash ideas they didn't have the capacity to produce in the past. This really reminded me of why I love the game so much.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So that makes... 2 unused but previously referenced concepts of the OG now being implemented in the Remake. That's interesting.

The Black Cloaked Sephiroth Copies actually turning into Jenova monsters.

And the true AVALANCHE operating behind the scenes and opposing Shinra along with the main characters.

Maybe we will see some more unused concepts be used in the Remake after all. Viable ones, at least.

Come on, Rule 63 Sephiroth, let's go!:awesomonster:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
This would be ideal content for the front page if you don't have any objections @Ultimasamune ?
Absolutely, I'd be honored! Imo there are just two things I'd like eyes on: the sentence about the Chocobo name/ability connection, and the bit about Tifa being ベタベタ, which I translated as "clingy" for lack of a more generous term. Don't want to ruffle any shipper feathers. Also, what is eveyone's best take on the sentence at the end of Nomura's first answer? Is it the past tense of the idiomatic ものがない ("there is no such thing"), or is he simply saying that wasn't the type of story they had in mind at first?

Last edited:

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
I've played thru PS1 FF7 in JP before. Basically, I don't see any issue w/what you put cause the issue is the English localization lol.
Do the chocobos you catch have multi-part names or at least names the have to be at least two characters? I'm wondering if what Adachi is implying is that the automated chocobo names carry the father's name and the mother's name, and you can use each to predict the racer's potential. In other words, it's moot if you're manually competing with your own chocobo.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Holy smokes, had to stop my daily chores to sit down and read this. What a gold mine.

So many interesting insights. Since the interview was conducted before the release of FFVII International, we can see how things like the Underwater materia was cut and then repurposed. It's also interesting to me the interviewer wanted confirmation that the journals in the Shina Manor basement were about Zack and Cloud. I suppose since Zack's death scene was added later in International, those journals were the only hints Japanese players had as to what happened to Zack in the original release. I always wondered about that!

I absolutely love how candid everyone is. Nomura especially. He just straight up says things like "Yep, I created the Limit Break system and the best summon animation is Titan's." I swear if you asked him the same question on Remake today he'd say something cryptic like "count the number the birds in Chapter 8. When you get to the last one, you should be able to find the answer."

“Let’s create a work that inherits the spirit of Final Fantasy, even if the story and characters have nothing in common with the previous entry, and eagerly experiment with new concepts.

The whole reason I love Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
So that makes... 2 unused but previously referenced concepts of the OG now being implemented in the Remake. That's interesting.

The Black Cloaked Sephiroth Copies actually turning into Jenova monsters.

And the true AVALANCHE operating behind the scenes and opposing Shinra along with the main characters.

Maybe we will see some more unused concepts be used in the Remake after all. Viable ones, at least.

Come on, Rule 63 Sephiroth, let's go!:awesomonster:
Out of curiosity where was that Sephiroth copies trivia mentioned before specifically?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Early Material Files of the FFVII Ultimania Omega.

You had Jenova utilizing pieces of its body as Black Cloaked followers and they would morph into Jenova monsters, like in the OG. Jenova HEART was an example.

Marco becoming Jenova PULSE through the power of Jenova's main body is similar to that. After all, in FFVII-R, a Sephiroth Copy is morphed into a Jenova monster boss, granted we don't know if any portion of the main body of Jenova was utilized to to make said transformation. However, the main body looked just as intact when Sephiroth Copy #2 picked it up and escaped with it.

Either way, it's a very similar scenario and one that certainly didn't happen in the OG.

Top Bottom