Versus was announced 6 years ago, last year

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Ja, also, I dunno it seems to me like Versus might actually foreground the older generation a bit more. There's political shitfuckery going around, which in itself isn't new or anything, but Versus seems like it might give those characters actual screen time. You know, we actually get to see them, not just hear about them.

That having been said, I do hope we see more females than Stella. And that armored chick.

...who looks like Angeal? I thought the old guy kinda looked like Ezio. Shut up, dun correct me, it makes everything better :awesome:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Angeal's "beard" is a bad joke

peach fuzz

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Game looks cool and all. But I'm still not over his (Noctis) eyes and hair changing color because of his emotions. I just can't.

Purple

Charmed
Game looks cool and all. But I'm still not over his (Noctis) eyes and hair changing color because of his emotions. I just can't.

For real? I didn't know about this. I've been out of the loop with regards to anything FF for more than a year now.

The posse looks alright. You can tell one is the smart one, one is the funny one and one is the brute.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I believe in this game. If you believe in it too, it can become a real game.

I have faith that I will play this game before I die.
If you believe in Versus, it will believe in you who believes in Versus!

Noctis should get a drill sword that pierces the heavens.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I just remembered a conversation I had with my brother, who is a few years younger than me but who has been keeping up with video game news much more than I have for the past eight years or so, about XIII and Versus XIII. He told me that XIII would be cross-platform but that Versus would be for PS3, and that Versus looked like it was going to be the better game. I thought to myself that I would have to get a PS3 when Versus came out.

Six years down the line... I have often thought about buying a PS3, but I've never taken the plunge. I suppose I can't bring myself to spend that much money on a console (and a new TV, to get the most out of it) without there being a Final Fantasy game I really want to play on it. Everything I've seen about XIII, from videos to reviews to forum discussions to watching a friend play it, have convinced me that I won't enjoy it. But that came as no surprise to me; Versus was meant to be the game that meant XIII's flaws didn't matter. It matters now. Versus still hasn't come out, and what do you know, I still don't have a PS3.

In the meantime I've become completely disillusioned with the series and Square Enix in general. It's so depressing to think of all the nonsense they've put out under the Final Fantasy name since XII came out (the last game I played in the main series).

Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy (ports)
Final Fantasy Brigade
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Final Fantasy Fables: Cid and Chocobo's Dungeon
Final Fantasy II (ports)
Final Fantasy III (port and remake)
Final Fantasy IV (ports and remake)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Final Fantasy IX (port)
Final Fantasy Legends: Hikari to Yami no Senshi
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy V (ports)
Final Fantasy VI (ports)
Final Fantasy VII (port)
Final Fantasy VIII (port)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIV (online)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Not to mention a wealth of other crap like films, animes and so on.

Correlation does not imply causation, and I know there has been a recession, but Square Enix's share price has been declining for three years and is now just 40% of what it was in 2008, they made a net loss for the financial year to March 2011, sales are at their lowest point for four years, as are the company's assets, etc. I don't know many fans who are confident about the company's future or pleased with the direction they are going in. I'm definitely not. I can't complain about the great games they have released in the past (mainly IV through X), and I will happily re-play them for the rest of my life, but it would have been so great if they could have kept up those standards and released some games for the latest generation of consoles which are actually worth playing.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The Versus you imagined, Flint, is hardly the only reason to pick up a PS3. Just sayin'.

How do you know what the Versus I imagined was like? Way back when, I suppose I figured that if there were going to be two simultaneous (haha) FF games, at least one of them would be amazing. Versus looked the better bet, probably because its trailer gave less away than XIII's trailer, which looked like an updated version of X-2. Of course, the more I have learnt about it, the more I realise I probably won't enjoy it very much either - if it ever gets released.

I do have other reasons to want a PS3, but the key thing is that none of them are reasons why I must have one. I bought a PS2 because of FFX, for example... I suppose I might end up buying a PS3 because of the FFX HD remake. That would be a bit strange.

Lex

Administrator
The Versus you imagined, Flint, is hardly the only reason to pick up a PS3. Just sayin'.

This! Like the Uncharted series, Assassin's Creed, God of War, InFamous, Mass Effect etc. OK, some of those are multiplatform but I'd rather have a PS3 than a 360 for reasons that don't require a console debate. LittleBigPlanet is fun even if it's not your genre of gaming, and there are surprisingly good cheap PSN games like Flower and stuff.

Also, it plays all your PSX games! I got PSPlus a while ago and they have loads of free stuff that changes every week. Right now, free FFV!

I was the same before I bought one/ years ago. The deciding factor in buying a console was which one FF was coming out on, so I always thought it would be PS3. My brother has a 360 and before I had a PS3 I played through XIII on that. IMO the XIII experience is better on PS3 but that's the only game I can honestly give that comparison for.

I love my PS3 and am a huge PS3 fanboy, I don't even care!

I remember when I first bought it. Magical times.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Warning: here comes one of those annoying posts where I address parts of your post one by one and prove how difficult I am :awesome:

This! Like the Uncharted series, Assassin's Creed, God of War, InFamous, Mass Effect etc.
Adjusted for someone who doesn't like shooting games...

OK, some of those are multiplatform but I'd rather have a PS3 than a 360 for reasons that don't require a console debate. LittleBigPlanet is fun even if it's not your genre of gaming, and there are surprisingly good cheap PSN games like Flower and stuff.
I thought LittleBigPlanet looked great, but then I played it. I was underwhelmed. It was still pretty fun, but it had been hyped as the reason to get a PS3, and I didn't think it lived up to that hype. I'm sure there are lots of great PSN games, but then again, they're not something that would alone make me buy a console.

Also, it plays all your PSX games! I got PSPlus a while ago and they have loads of free stuff that changes every week. Right now, free FFV!
My PS2 can play PSX games. Oh, and PS2 games :P I have FFV on the PSX and GBA already.

I was the same before I bought one/ years ago. The deciding factor in buying a console was which one FF was coming out on, so I always thought it would be PS3. My brother has a 360 and before I had a PS3 I played through XIII on that. IMO the XIII experience is better on PS3 but that's the only game I can honestly give that comparison for.

The 360 is dirt cheap though. As you said, we really don't need a console debate (especially as I have neither console myself), but every time I have considered buying a PS3, I see the 360 price right next to it, hesitate and end up buying neither.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Adjusted for someone who doesn't like shooting games...

God of War isn't a shooting game. You may be thinking of Gears of War. But I don't like either series, myself.

But Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, and Demon's Souls, then. (and aforementioned LBPs)

Also, as a rule, I don't like shooting games either, but Uncharted still blows my freakin mind.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
God of War isn't a shooting game. You may be thinking of Gears of War. But I don't like either series, myself.
Oh, I did mean Gears of War. Oops.

Neither is Infamous, lol.

I hadn't heard of Infamous before it was mentioned in this thread, so I looked at some screenshots. Nearly all of them have some kind of tazer thing coming out of a man's arm. You might not be shooting bullets, but you're still shooting something, right?

That's not to say I'm against all shooting in games. I love Metal Gear Solid, for example, but that's probably because you can go through most of the game without actually having to shoot a gun. Oh, and the great story, cut-scenes etc.

Anyway, this thread is getting derailed...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Oh, I did mean Gears of War. Oops.

Which is only on 360 :awesomonster:
God of War's an action game, Devil May Cry-ish.

OT: The game will come out, and it will be the same as every thing else Square releases. Everyone will either worship it or despise it, dramatics ensue.

Seriously, is anyone ever just "okay" with a Square game? What's up with that?

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I hadn't heard of Infamous before it was mentioned in this thread, so I looked at some screenshots. Nearly all of them have some kind of tazer thing coming out of a man's arm. You might not be shooting bullets, but you're still shooting something, right?

he's shooting lightning out of his hands; you're using superpowers

OT: The game will come out, and it will be the same as every thing else Square releases. Everyone will either worship it or despise it, dramatics ensue.

Seriously, is anyone ever just "okay" with a Square game? What's up with that?

this

people are either going to worship the shit out of it because they hyped it up after waiting so long or hate the shit out of it because they hyped it up after waiting so long

it'll probably be decent, but a lot of the shit nomura thought was groundbreaking when he started this isn't gonna have the same impact after nearly a decade

Top Bottom