Versus was announced 6 years ago, last year

LunarSkye

Pro Adventurer
AKA
CL, Prompto
Yeah, pretty sure they pulled development time off of Versus in favor of XIII-2 - remember, development of that one was started only after XIII, if I'm right. It wasn't even announced that there would be a sequel at any one point.

Does what we've seen in the Versus trailers even still match up with whatever was in XIII?
But it was reported that two different teams were working on these games.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Hell Kingdoms of Amalur was developed in less time than this and that game is fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

It's just obscene, even if they were focusing on graphical fidelity, we have games like the Witcher 2 which is fucking gorgeous, has a massive story with a buttload of customization options. There's no way mang.

I mean, Holy Shit guys the entire Mass Effect series will have been developed and released before Versus gets released.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Now I wonder about something else.

Why did they make trailers long before they had a finished / working game?

That's just the way they roll. :monster:

See Crisis Core (announced alongside all the other complication titles, trailer was just clips from Last Order since they didn't actually have a game).
Agito/Type-0 was also announced when all they had was a logo and the concept. They admitted that in an interview.

This is why I think Resident Evil 6's approach is the best way to do it.

Game was announced this year, is being released in November.

Nintendo also likes to do this from time to time. "Surprise guys! Donkey Kong Country Returns! Btw, release in a few months."

It's like Square-Enix get so excited about their own stupid ideas that they just have to blurt it all out asap.

Anyway. I'm calling it: Versus secretly canceled, now developed by Platinum Games. :wackymonster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
It is shocking how ridiculously vague Squenix are about the whole subject. I believe in the last interview with Nomura, he commented solely on the visuals and animation, and said that he hoped to make "some sort of announcement" about the game this year. FFXII & XIII took five years to develop, but what on earth has Squenix been doing with Versus XIII in that time? I really do believe this is all coming down to money, pure and simple. Which is why Nomura is hogtied in what details he can release to the press. The game looks like it has one of the most ambitious FF battle systems ever. Perhaps Squenix have bitten off more than they can chew and need more investment on the project to prevent it becoming a Dirge of Cerberus clone? At this rate, it'll probably be out on the Playstation 4.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It is shocking how ridiculously vague Squenix are about the whole subject

Dude. These are the people who hide trailers from their fans for like a year.

Trailers, which were invented for the sole person of advertising their game, they show in closed Theaters and refuse to release them months after.

That is just fucking moronic.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Trailers, which were invented for the sole person of advertising their game, they show in closed Theaters and refuse to release them months after.

THIS has ALWAYS baffled me, even back when Square was on less hard times this has confused the hell out of me. I would just love to hear what their rationale is for it, I'm sure it's dumb, but they have to have one...

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Sole person

really

what the fuck is wrong with me mang

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Theory :

SE is waiting for graphics/ technology to upgrade so it can look "suuuper amazing and flashy " .

Becauz you know, Graphics are like.... everything. / eyeroll.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Theory :

SE is waiting for graphics/ technology to upgrade so it can look "suuuper amazing and flashy " .

Becauz you know, Graphics are like.... everything. / eyeroll.

Thing is, they made Advent Children and still none of the games live up to it's quality. I am not sure if they can make a game with such quality or not, but... Eh. :(

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
At this rate, it'll probably be out on the Playstation 4.

Nomura will announce that they've realized the technology of the times has outdistanced the potential of what they've been producing the game with -- so they'll have to start over from scratch with the new PS4 hardware.

And probably another new game engine, developed just for the occasion.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Thing is, they made Advent Children and still none of the games live up to it's quality. I am not sure if they can make a game with such quality or not, but... Eh. :(

Well, first graphics hardware is nowhere near delivering that kind of performance, and even the graphics of today employ a shitton of tricks to make it look better than it really is. Second, the better-looking / higher-quality the graphics, the more work is needed to make it, and as a result, the bigger the investment from the company.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The thing is, The Witcher 2 was done in what, a year or two with something like a tenth the budget of FFXIII? And yet it looks substantially better, in fact it's one of the best-looking games of the current generation. Graphics certainly do take an investment, but they don't need to take a gigantic investment if your people know what they're doing. Square Enix's, unfortunately... don't seem to.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The thing is, The Witcher 2 was done in what, a year or two with something like a tenth the budget of FFXIII?

Probably more, seeing that they also built the engine themselves instead of using Bioware's like they did in the previous game. I'd go for three - four years, where the first bit was used to develop the engine. Which, of course, doesn't take that big of a team really - usually AAA video games have just 10 - 15 programmers.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Thing is, they made Advent Children and still none of the games live up to it's quality

Yeah, its almost like they set the bar too high with Advent Children.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
THEN WHY IS SQUARE SENDING ME EMAILS ABOUT DEUS EX

IDGAF WHO MADE IT THAT SHIT IS TIGHT

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
THEN WHY IS SQUARE SENDING ME EMAILS ABOUT DEUS EX

IDGAF WHO MADE IT THAT SHIT IS TIGHT

They only published the game. SE bought Edios, and now they just have whatever they develop under their banner.

It's why I get pissed when people say Rockstar made LA noire. No they didn't, Team Bondi did.

Purple

Charmed
Been over a year since I've last been here. So, how's versus XIII going? Kind of odd how XIII-2 got released ahead of something that was announced 6 YEARS AGO.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Upcoming news about Versus (in which Square manages to piss off the entire fandom).

Versus is no longer Versus it is now titled Final Fantasy XIII-3.
Lightning makes a reappearance as Noctis' non-playable love interest.
Most of the story focusses on the love triangle between Noctis, Stella and Lightning.
Fang and Vanille do not appear.
In a secret ending to the game in some weird space time continuum shift Serah is shown to be alive doing battle with a man in a red leather jacket. It is Genesis. She kills him and the game is the final entry to the Compilation of FF7.

Two weeks after its release they announce Final Fantasy XIII-3 Versus Final Mix+ in desperate attempt to save themselves from bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
I would weep tears of blood at that point.

Top Bottom